Chuck Pagano talk

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

There's no reason this defense can't be better this year. You just need a group of guys that understands the amount of work it takes to stay on top. I think we actually have those guys and they've gotta make goals for themselves. So why not #1 across the board?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Playing with early leads from the offense would sure help.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I love your optimism Whiskey... but last year's defense was fucking good. It's going to be almost impossible to match or top that, IMO.

3rd in total yards allowed

1st in rushing yards allowed

1st in points allowed

1st in interceptions

1st in forced fumbles

1st in PFF's defensive efficiency rankings, best in the past 7 years

etc
I was thinking about your post G08, and here is the flaw in your logic. It's that somehow, being first last year, sets the ceiling for the following year, and that they would be unable to break the mold of what is "excellent defense" in the NFL. I disagree. I see no ceiling for this group. I think they could be every bit as good as the '85 team, if not better. NFL teams often have 1 or 2 generational talents every few years or so, if they're lucky. Right now, as the Bears defense sits, I think they have 3-4 generational talents on the team right now; Mack, Jackson, Hicks, Smith. This defense can be as good as they want to be, and better than the NFL has seen in 30+ years.
G08
Hall of Famer

Man... I would love nothing more than to see a generational defense lead us to a Super Bowl victory!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS