Chuck Pagano talk

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

What you didn't want to have happen was the Bears to hire a young ambitious LB coach as DC. Someone who wanted to make a name for himself, and set themselves up for a HC position down the line. Someone who was going to make changes, or tinker, in order to prove their own genius to the league.

Pagano has nothing to prove. He is a successful HC and DC. He is a known commodity, with a solid defensive mind. I think it was an excellent choice.
IotaNet
MVP

Knuckles wrote: ... His style as I've read since we hired him is more aggressive than Fangio and will bring different positions in on the blitz. With him being a great DB coach he should be able to make our DBs even better so they can handle a little extra one on one pressure with more people blitzing.

I think on paper he is a perfect fit because there's one thing I didn't like about Fangio and that was that he didn't blitz enough IMO and could have been more creative when doing so ...
This is a real key for me. And one that will endear Pagano to the fan base.

We all love to reminisce about the '85 team's defense but what sometimes gets lost is that Tobin's '86 unit was actually statistically better. The difference is that they weren't seen as the same "blitzing bada$$es" as the year before. Tobin advocated much more of a "bend but don't break" style of play.

Chicago fans LIKE to see blitzing -- coming from all over the place. Pagano's philosophy is exactly that. That, paired with the talent level on this team is going to lead to some fun times this year. I think Pagano is going to be beloved in this town before its all over.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

If Pagano works out like I'm hoping he does, he can be in Chicago for a nice long time. I love that he's been-there-done-that with head coaching and now just wants to coach some defense and mold some champs. In my perfect world, we get Nagy/Pagano for the next decade and win a bunch of titles.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:What you didn't want to have happen was the Bears to hire a young ambitious LB coach as DC. Someone who wanted to make a name for himself, and set themselves up for a HC position down the line. Someone who was going to make changes, or tinker, in order to prove their own genius to the league.

Pagano has nothing to prove. He is a successful HC and DC. He is a known commodity, with a solid defensive mind. I think it was an excellent choice.

This is probably the most important aspect of Pagano if he indeed pans out like we all hope... It's sort of like what we went through with OCs for the past decade at least but more from incompetence (on theirs and the owners/HCs part). Pagano seems content with being a DC and most likely won't leave unless he's fired or retires. That's the same consistency we will have with Nagy and why we all wanted a HC that calls offensive plays just so we know the OC won't take off if he has success and then they have to start from scratch again. That was the most infuriating thing watching the Bears fumble around like amateurs when we had Cutler here and wasting any talent he or the rest of the team had.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:What you didn't want to have happen was the Bears to hire a young ambitious LB coach as DC. Someone who wanted to make a name for himself, and set themselves up for a HC position down the line. Someone who was going to make changes, or tinker, in order to prove their own genius to the league.

This.

We needed a proven name and we got one. Let Nagy focus on the offense and Pagano on the defense. Between Nagy's specialty and the quality of the defense we have an up-and-comer most likely would've been a disaster.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:If Pagano works out like I'm hoping he does, he can be in Chicago for a nice long time. I love that he's been-there-done-that with head coaching and now just wants to coach some defense and mold some champs. In my perfect world, we get Nagy/Pagano for the next decade and win a bunch of titles.
Wouldn't that be something?

Pagano admitted when he was a head coach he didn't like all the bullshit that came long with the gig. He said he flat-out missed coaching defense. Well... he's got that here.

If we're lights out for the next few seasons and some team throws $$$ at him to be their head coach... does he scratch that itch again?

I know, I'm getting too far ahead of myself but still...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I do think, though, we have to expect that we are not running last year's defense with last year's verbiage as was discussed by the team earlier in the offseason.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

More man-to-man coverage's, more dime, more exotic stunts by linemen and more blitzing. I think Pagano leans more towards the 3-4 than Fangio did with his 4-3/3-4 hybrid scheme. I think it's going to be amazing. Slaughterhouse Sundays.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I do think, though, we have to expect that we are not running last year's defense with last year's verbiage as was discussed by the team earlier in the offseason.
I want Pagano to put in whatever defense and terminology he feels is appropriate. The Bears have a grown ass defense full of professionals and players in/entering their prime. Adjusting concepts and learning new terminology should't be a problem.

Don't be Vic Fangio's defense coached by Chuck Pagano. Be Chuck Pagano's defense coached by Chuck Pagano.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I want Pagano to put in whatever defense and terminology he feels is appropriate. The Bears have a grown ass defense full of professionals and players in/entering their prime. Adjusting concepts and learning new terminology should't be a problem.

Don't be Vic Fangio's defense coached by Chuck Pagano. Be Chuck Pagano's defense coached by Chuck Pagano.
In other words...

Be you, Chuck.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

This exactly.

Pagano got hired for a reason. Let him coach.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I loved Fangio and didn't want to see him leave, but I don't know if the Bears could have gotten a better replacement.
This is absolutely my sentiment.

It doesn't matter how long you've been a coordinator. Either you're a good coach with an ability to connect with players and get the very best out of them, or you're not. I believe that Pagano is a great football coach, and by mid-season Bears' fans will have forgotten that Fangio left.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:

This exactly.

Pagano got hired for a reason. Let him coach.
There is only so many things that can happen in coverage and blitzing. Pagano isn't reinventing the wheel or anything. The things that carry over from last year, He already said he's learning what the team called it last year because one guy learning is easier than 20. The things he's doing different will be new to learn and new guys all have to learn the new 'to them' terminology. This isn't stunting any coaching on pagaon, he's just making it as easy as possible to carry over to his overall scheme. Other than more blitz opportunities from ILB's and DB's, and possibly a few more big plays given up due to us being more agressive, I don't think the causal observer will notice a big difference between 2018 and 2019.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:I loved Fangio and didn't want to see him leave, but I don't know if the Bears could have gotten a better replacement.
This is absolutely my sentiment.

It doesn't matter how long you've been a coordinator. Either you're a good coach with an ability to connect with players and get the very best out of them, or you're not. I believe that Pagano is a great football coach, and by mid-season Bears' fans will have forgotten that Fangio left.
And that's the real thing with Pagano. Its not like his system requires us to gut and retool the defense with different types of personnel on the line and with the linebackers. Its gonna be more about whether or not he can lead this defense and if they'll listen to him. I highly doubt either one of those are going to be problems. Pagano has been around serious talent before. He's got credibility. My impression of the locker room is that people like Mack and Hicks are not a negative presence in the slightest. This team also has to be hungry as hell after last season. They'll buy in and there might even be parts of the defense that are better. I'm thinking we're going to see a lot more different types of blitzes and get to the QB from multiple directions with the linebackers and even the secondary. That's going to be a serious upgrade when added onto the pressure our line already creates. We're going to give offenses serious headaches.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adding to this... Akiem Hicks said he's at about a 'C' grade in terms of knowing this defense. So let's not get it twisted, this is not the same shit we ran with Vic last year (for better or worse) and there will most definitely be a step back. I hope our offense can pull its weight, especially earlier on in the season, because I'm expecting growing pains.

Plus, even IF our defense come out playing well, I don't expect us to match last season's performance. PFF said it was the best defense in the NFL since 2012.

(oh, and in 2012 it was the Bears also :D)

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

Adding to this... Akiem Hicks said he's at about a 'C' grade in terms of knowing this defense. So let's not get it twisted, this is not the same shit we ran with Vic last year (for better or worse) and there will most definitely be a step back. I hope our offense can pull its weight, especially earlier on in the season, because I'm expecting growing pains.

Plus, even IF our defense come out playing well, I don't expect us to match last season's performance. PFF said it was the best defense in the NFL since 2012.

(oh, and in 2012 it was the Bears also :D)
Knowing Hicks, he's playing it conservative. I'll bet he's got the defense pretty well down pat.

As far as year to year. I fully expect the Bears D to be every bit as good this year, as last year. If not better. You've added quality pieces. Mack gets a full TC. Smith isn't holding out, and gets a full TC. It's Nichols second year. Jackson and Dix are previous team mates at Alabama, and will be on the same page. Floyd gets a second year with Mack on the other side.

I read an article that said Floyd learned SO much from Mack in OTA's regarding technique and how to attack the OL. I was roundly criticized when I said that Mack would have a huge impact on Floyd from a technical standpoint. But I think it's happening, and I expect Floyd to have a monster year in 2019.

So many things trending in the right direction.
G08
Hall of Famer

I love your optimism Whiskey... but last year's defense was fucking good. It's going to be almost impossible to match or top that, IMO.

3rd in total yards allowed

1st in rushing yards allowed

1st in points allowed

1st in interceptions

1st in forced fumbles

1st in PFF's defensive efficiency rankings, best in the past 7 years

etc

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Almost?

So you’re saying there’s a chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I love your optimism Whiskey... but last year's defense was fucking good. It's going to be almost impossible to match or top that, IMO.

1st in points allowed

1st in interceptions

1st in forced fumbles

etc
I think the strength of schedule will play a bigger role in those ranking declines than switching from Fangio to Pagano. No doubt losing Fangio sucks. However Pagano is no slouch and every now and then you want to switch up schemes so things aren't as predictable. I think what we'll see during the year are articles saying the Bears defense is in decline or some crap, they'll try and blame Pagano and hype up the Fangio angle but the real reason will be strength of schedule. That being said, I still expect our defense to be elite this year and it could still easily be ranked #1. Any issues there are going to be offset with improvements in the offense (Biscuit year 2, etc.) and then like others have already said with Mack and Roquan having full training camps. I also think other teams are going to shit their pants over trying to figure out who to block. You can't double team them all and Pagano is going to use blitzes on top of that. Mack, Hicks, Roquan, and hopefully Floyd. If Floyd gets 10 sacks this year and we avoid injuries, this defense will actually be better than last year's.
malk
Head Coach

You'd expect the defence to fall off a little just because of variance but, despite losing Amos and Callahan there are some reasons for optimism, mainly Mack getting a full camp plus Smith and Nichols going into year 2.

The main thing is how much overall talent there is and, most importantly, how many difference makers. Between Mack, Hicks, Jackson we've got someone at each level and the lack of weak links around them means you can't gameplan away from everything.

I love it when our defence is banging!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

There's no reason this defense can't be better this year. You just need a group of guys that understands the amount of work it takes to stay on top. I think we actually have those guys and they've gotta make goals for themselves. So why not #1 across the board?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Playing with early leads from the offense would sure help.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I love your optimism Whiskey... but last year's defense was fucking good. It's going to be almost impossible to match or top that, IMO.

1st in points allowed

1st in interceptions

1st in forced fumbles

etc
I was thinking about your post G08, and here is the flaw in your logic. It's that somehow, being first last year, sets the ceiling for the following year, and that they would be unable to break the mold of what is "excellent defense" in the NFL. I disagree. I see no ceiling for this group. I think they could be every bit as good as the '85 team, if not better. NFL teams often have 1 or 2 generational talents every few years or so, if they're lucky. Right now, as the Bears defense sits, I think they have 3-4 generational talents on the team right now; Mack, Jackson, Hicks, Smith. This defense can be as good as they want to be, and better than the NFL has seen in 30+ years.
G08
Hall of Famer

Man... I would love nothing more than to see a generational defense lead us to a Super Bowl victory!