View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Chuck Pagano talk
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:07 am 
Hall of Famer

What you didn't want to have happen was the Bears to hire a young ambitious LB coach as DC. Someone who wanted to make a name for himself, and set themselves up for a HC position down the line. Someone who was going to make changes, or tinker, in order to prove their own genius to the league.

Pagano has nothing to prove. He is a successful HC and DC. He is a known commodity, with a solid defensive mind. I think it was an excellent choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:16 am 
Crafty Veteran

Knuckles wrote:
... His style as I've read since we hired him is more aggressive than Fangio and will bring different positions in on the blitz. With him being a great DB coach he should be able to make our DBs even better so they can handle a little extra one on one pressure with more people blitzing.

I think on paper he is a perfect fit because there's one thing I didn't like about Fangio and that was that he didn't blitz enough IMO and could have been more creative when doing so ...
This is a real key for me. And one that will endear Pagano to the fan base.

We all love to reminisce about the '85 team's defense but what sometimes gets lost is that Tobin's '86 unit was actually statistically better. The difference is that they weren't seen as the same "blitzing bada$$es" as the year before. Tobin advocated much more of a "bend but don't break" style of play.

Chicago fans LIKE to see blitzing -- coming from all over the place. Pagano's philosophy is exactly that. That, paired with the talent level on this team is going to lead to some fun times this year. I think Pagano is going to be beloved in this town before its all over.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 am 
Journeyman

If Pagano works out like I'm hoping he does, he can be in Chicago for a nice long time. I love that he's been-there-done-that with head coaching and now just wants to coach some defense and mold some champs. In my perfect world, we get Nagy/Pagano for the next decade and win a bunch of titles.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm 
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
What you didn't want to have happen was the Bears to hire a young ambitious LB coach as DC. Someone who wanted to make a name for himself, and set themselves up for a HC position down the line. Someone who was going to make changes, or tinker, in order to prove their own genius to the league.

Pagano has nothing to prove. He is a successful HC and DC. He is a known commodity, with a solid defensive mind. I think it was an excellent choice.

This is probably the most important aspect of Pagano if he indeed pans out like we all hope... It's sort of like what we went through with OCs for the past decade at least but more from incompetence (on theirs and the owners/HCs part). Pagano seems content with being a DC and most likely won't leave unless he's fired or retires. That's the same consistency we will have with Nagy and why we all wanted a HC that calls offensive plays just so we know the OC won't take off if he has success and then they have to start from scratch again. That was the most infuriating thing watching the Bears fumble around like amateurs when we had Cutler here and wasting any talent he or the rest of the team had.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm 
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

This.

We needed a proven name and we got one. Let Nagy focus on the offense and Pagano on the defense. Between Nagy's specialty and the quality of the defense we have an up-and-comer most likely would've been a disaster.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm 
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:
If Pagano works out like I'm hoping he does, he can be in Chicago for a nice long time. I love that he's been-there-done-that with head coaching and now just wants to coach some defense and mold some champs. In my perfect world, we get Nagy/Pagano for the next decade and win a bunch of titles.

Wouldn't that be something?

Pagano admitted when he was a head coach he didn't like all the bullshit that came long with the gig. He said he flat-out missed coaching defense. Well... he's got that here.

If we're lights out for the next few seasons and some team throws $$$ at him to be their head coach... does he scratch that itch again?

I know, I'm getting too far ahead of myself but still...

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am 
Hall of Famer

Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I do think, though, we have to expect that we are not running last year's defense with last year's verbiage as was discussed by the team earlier in the offseason.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm 
Journeyman

More man-to-man coverage's, more dime, more exotic stunts by linemen and more blitzing. I think Pagano leans more towards the 3-4 than Fangio did with his 4-3/3-4 hybrid scheme. I think it's going to be amazing. Slaughterhouse Sundays.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 pm 
Mod

G08 wrote:
Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I do think, though, we have to expect that we are not running last year's defense with last year's verbiage as was discussed by the team earlier in the offseason.

I want Pagano to put in whatever defense and terminology he feels is appropriate. The Bears have a grown ass defense full of professionals and players in/entering their prime. Adjusting concepts and learning new terminology should't be a problem.

Don't be Vic Fangio's defense coached by Chuck Pagano. Be Chuck Pagano's defense coached by Chuck Pagano.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:33 pm 
Head Coach

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

I want Pagano to put in whatever defense and terminology he feels is appropriate. The Bears have a grown ass defense full of professionals and players in/entering their prime. Adjusting concepts and learning new terminology should't be a problem.

Don't be Vic Fangio's defense coached by Chuck Pagano. Be Chuck Pagano's defense coached by Chuck Pagano.
In other words...

Be you, Chuck.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.