View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Chuck Pagano talk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:50 pm 
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I do think, though, we have to expect that we are not running last year's defense with last year's verbiage as was discussed by the team earlier in the offseason.

I want Pagano to put in whatever defense and terminology he feels is appropriate. The Bears have a grown ass defense full of professionals and players in/entering their prime. Adjusting concepts and learning new terminology should't be a problem.

Don't be Vic Fangio's defense coached by Chuck Pagano. Be Chuck Pagano's defense coached by Chuck Pagano.

This exactly.

Pagano got hired for a reason. Let him coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 pm 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I loved Fangio and didn't want to see him leave, but I don't know if the Bears could have gotten a better replacement.

This is absolutely my sentiment.

It doesn't matter how long you've been a coordinator. Either you're a good coach with an ability to connect with players and get the very best out of them, or you're not. I believe that Pagano is a great football coach, and by mid-season Bears' fans will have forgotten that Fangio left.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:40 pm 
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Sounds like the defense is still in the learning stages of Pagano's scheme, I also read some comments where the said the verbiage is a bit different -- that's fine.

I do think, though, we have to expect that we are not running last year's defense with last year's verbiage as was discussed by the team earlier in the offseason.

I want Pagano to put in whatever defense and terminology he feels is appropriate. The Bears have a grown ass defense full of professionals and players in/entering their prime. Adjusting concepts and learning new terminology should't be a problem.

Don't be Vic Fangio's defense coached by Chuck Pagano. Be Chuck Pagano's defense coached by Chuck Pagano.

This exactly.

Pagano got hired for a reason. Let him coach.

There is only so many things that can happen in coverage and blitzing. Pagano isn't reinventing the wheel or anything. The things that carry over from last year, He already said he's learning what the team called it last year because one guy learning is easier than 20. The things he's doing different will be new to learn and new guys all have to learn the new 'to them' terminology. This isn't stunting any coaching on pagaon, he's just making it as easy as possible to carry over to his overall scheme. Other than more blitz opportunities from ILB's and DB's, and possibly a few more big plays given up due to us being more agressive, I don't think the causal observer will notice a big difference between 2018 and 2019.

I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:30 am 
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
I loved Fangio and didn't want to see him leave, but I don't know if the Bears could have gotten a better replacement.

This is absolutely my sentiment.

It doesn't matter how long you've been a coordinator. Either you're a good coach with an ability to connect with players and get the very best out of them, or you're not. I believe that Pagano is a great football coach, and by mid-season Bears' fans will have forgotten that Fangio left.

And that's the real thing with Pagano. Its not like his system requires us to gut and retool the defense with different types of personnel on the line and with the linebackers. Its gonna be more about whether or not he can lead this defense and if they'll listen to him. I highly doubt either one of those are going to be problems. Pagano has been around serious talent before. He's got credibility. My impression of the locker room is that people like Mack and Hicks are not a negative presence in the slightest. This team also has to be hungry as hell after last season. They'll buy in and there might even be parts of the defense that are better. I'm thinking we're going to see a lot more different types of blitzes and get to the QB from multiple directions with the linebackers and even the secondary. That's going to be a serious upgrade when added onto the pressure our line already creates. We're going to give offenses serious headaches.