Site Admin

Bradley Sowell is now #85 and a Tight End

Taquan Mizzell is now #11 and a Wide Receiver
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Next step. Mizzell is cut.
wab
Mod

Fringe players officially switching positions is usually the beginning of the end.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Sowell thing is interesting. Mizzel is fodder. Sowell had made this team a few years now, and was used as a blocking TE with a TD.

Like already said generally this means a player doesn't make the team, but Sowell seems different. Maybe they are looking for more big packages.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think Sowell sticks.

Mizzell was bad at rb and I don’t see him breaking in at wr with this group.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Sowell provides some depth and versatility. He could be a hard cut at the bottom of the roster.

Mizzel needs to be gone so you're not tempted to use him. I was kind of pulling for him. I wish him well, just somewhere else.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Yeah mizzle done regardless. Pretty deep at WR and RB.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I also look at the Sowell # change as more of a elimination of a problem. He was only brought in as an extra blocker in a fullback or TE role and I don't believe he ever played as a true lineman at all. This change eliminates the need to report in as an eligible receiver and a possible penalty. It also doesn't give the defense a prompt that "Hey, something different is happening here on this play".
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think Kerrith Whyte was the end of Mizzell. Thank God.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I think Kerrith Whyte was the end of Mizzell. Thank God.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Fringe players officially switching positions is usually the beginning of the end.
southdakbearfan wrote:I also look at the Sowell # change as more of a elimination of a problem. He was only brought in as an extra blocker in a fullback or TE role and I don't believe he ever played as a true lineman at all. This change eliminates the need to report in as an eligible receiver and a possible penalty. It also doesn't give the defense a prompt that "Hey, something different is happening here on this play".
Mizzell is fringe, but Sowell isn't. He's been the top T backup for 2 yrs (with lots of OL snaps in 2017) and they cut Compton (who went on to be a full time starter at G for Minn) because they preferred Sowell.

Moving him is weird.
Maybe it means they have a lot of confidence in Coward stepping up. Or maybe a complete lack of confidence in any of their other TEs to block.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:Next step. Mizzell is cut.

probably ... just don't see value to keeping him

but, maybe Ryan Pace can use his position changes to spin it as a sign of his diversity as a player and get a 5th or 6th round draft pick for him from someone before the acquiring team knows any better :)
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Mizzell is a goner is what this tells me. Sowell may be able to find a place on the team but no tears if he leaves.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:Next step. Mizzell is cut.

probably ... just don't see value to keeping him

but, maybe Ryan Pace can use his position changes to spin it as a sign of his diversity as a player and get a 5th or 6th round draft pick for him from someone before the acquiring team knows any better :)
Which wide receiver is not twice the threat/prospect/player than mizzell at that position. I don’t think he can make the practice squad as a Wr. I am pretty sure it was laid out for him that he wasn’t making it as a rb, both due to performance and look at who they brought in with Patterson (being a hybrid and explosive), Davis(versatile), Montgomery(high pick, workhorse, versatile), Cohen(explosive and proven), Whyte(explosive). All of them bring something more than mizzell in each aspect where they are comparable. .

Would you be willing to cut Wims or Hall over mizzell? Ridley, Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson are 100% locks. Wimms has way more upside. Hall is explosive.

Mizzell is kind of a fringe pro, maybe, at RB. At WR I don’t know that he is even that.

I would actually put money down on him being cut fairly early in training camp barring weird injuries or unless someone is just flat out to lost with the playbook.

Sowell makes a lot of sense as a blocking TE. Especially if coward has come along under HH.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:I also look at the Sowell # change as more of a elimination of a problem..... This change eliminates the need to report in as an eligible receiver and a possible penalty.
I didn't even consider this. Nagy is one sneaky mofo.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think teams would be aware of Sowell when he came in no matter what the # was on his jersey.

Some dude on the SCORE over the lunch hour was saying Sowell would have a better shot at making the roster at TE than the Raymond (UDFA) would. I am not seeing it. I also don't think it is a slight to Shaheen.

The only thing it really says to me, he wasn't good enough to be the swing OT.
G08
Hall of Famer

I like the number change for Sowell... I kind of think they did this so he doesn't have to declare himself eligible every time he comes in and, well, is eligible to receive the ball.

Sneaky, sneaky!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS