View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 am 
MVP

Another pointless off-season thread...

Favorites:

1. 2006 Super Bowl Run - IMO, this is rather easy. The sheer dominance in the first half of the season on both sides of the ball Rex's offensive player of the month run in September. The emergence of Devin Hester. Two exciting playoff games (that I happened to be at... obviously makes it more memorable). One an overtime thriller that Robbie put away for us. I remember being so nervous we'd get bounce "one and done" again late in that game. Then, of course... pulling away in the 2nd half vs New Orleans as the snow fell down on Soldier Field. What a perfect day.

2. 2001 - Being a 90's kid... this was the first time that I experienced the Bears actually being a good football team. We all know how magical and unlikely that season was. 13-3 regular season, fun/young defense and of course... Mike Brown heroics. Got my first taste of playoff heartbreak too when McNabb and Philly came to town.

3. 2018 - Yeah, it gets a slight nod over 2010, even though we went one/done. This past season was just fun. An energy like I've never really felt from a Bears team. This organization and fan-base NEEEEEDED that kind of a season in the worst possible way. Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel emerges.

4. 2010 - Maybe I put this lower simply because of the heartbreak I felt walking out of Soldier Field the evening of the NFC Title game. Not just losing to Green Bay on our own field for the righ to go to the Super Bowl, but the way it went down... It was so deflating. Honestly, I still get pissed when I think about that game. We still had a very real shot to win it. Even after the Raji pick six. I still hate that end around to Earl Bennett that Martz called on 3rd and 2 when we were nearing the red zone on the final drive. A lot of missed first half opportunities as well. Plus, the Cutler fall out was just... really shitty.

5. 2005 - The D in this season was probably the most dominant we've seen since the 80's. Some utterly outstanding performances. Unfortunately, our QB play just wasn't there and we let Steve Smith beat us singlehandedly in the Divisional Round.

HM's: 2008 had some fun games and Orton had some nice performances. Even if we ultimately choked a playoff spot away the final week of the season after a hot start in Houston. They also lost a couple of heartbreakers to TB and ATL which they should have won. The frigid GB game was a lot of fun. So was the TNF game vs NO the week prior.

2013 featured a fun offense that broke our scoring record. Finished 2nd in the league only to Denver who broke the ALL-TIME scoring record that year. First time in my life I saw a Bears team led by an offense, with an atrocious D (I barely remember the Kramer/mid-90's seasons). Alas, the season ends on our field with another GB heartbreak.

Least Favorite:

1. 2014 - Ugh... this f'ing season. What a total catastrophe. The cap hell we put ourselves through to build this team made it 10x worse too. This is what dug us into the hole which took us 4 years to climb out of. Trestman was a joke and completely lost the team early on. Cutler played like he had no interest in the game after getting that big contract. Marshall was in the news every week it seemed for some new outburst. Whether it was at players, coaches, fans, radio hosts or on twitter... the dude was out of control. Just a spineless f'ing football team. No excuse for the NE/GB performances back-to-back. I drove all the way up to Green Bay to see that shit, for crying out loud.

2. 2011 - I still think this was the best team we had during the Lovie era and probably going back to the mid-80's. Watching the team fall apart due to major injuries was so disheartening. The offense was really picking up a head of steam. The one time during Lovie's tenure where I truly thought that we would have our offense ready for a deep playoff run and not just the defense. The KC and DEN (Tebow) losses back-to-back were nightmares. Sheer nightmares.

3. 2016 - This season just stunk. It was like it never happened. Over before it started. Smack dab in the middle of Pace stripping things down, but still being stuck with a lot of leftover parts. The injuries during this season were utterly laughable too. We played multiple games where I think Matt Slauson was the only Week 1 starter remaining healthy. The defense was decimated as well. A lot of really good ass kickings were taken over the course of that season.

4. 2007 - The hype following the SB run was gigantic. We thought it was really our time. Then, Rex was benched after only 3 games. Took a couple of heartbreaking early divisional losses to Detroit and Minnesota. We still had a chance to put ourselves squarely in the December Wild Card hunt as well, before we went and blew a late lead to NYG. I hated that game. I hated that season. Hester had his best year returning kicks/punts, though.

5. 2002 - The Champaign season. The team fell flat after the hype stemming from 2001 and went 4-12. The whole season had a weird vibe playing down there. No fun, at all. At least we had the Marty Morningweigh blunder to laugh about, though.

HM's: 2009 - Cutler hype falls flat, Urlacher's season lasts one half and the D crumbles. Another hype year where we fell on our faces.

2012 - Similar to 2011... we pissed 2012 away after a 7-1 start. One of the only teams to fail to make the post-season after a 7-1 start. The Seattle loss was killer. Urlacher looked old as the season went on and wound up missing most of the 2nd half of it. Offense looked utterly atrocious under Tice down the stretch. So long Lovie... hello Trestman, and hell on Earth.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:27 pm 
Crafty Veteran

You pretty much nailed it for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:11 pm 
Mod

Yeah, hard to argue.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm 
Head Coach

My least favorite seasons were the Wanny era, this century or not. Growing up at that time is the reason my oldest wears green and gold today. :frustrated:

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:13 am 
Practice Squad

yeah pretty spot on. kinda brings up a point though. We've seen a lot of disappointment after successful seasons. what is going to make this season different?

My answer? Nagy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:11 pm 
MVP

mohner1 wrote:
yeah pretty spot on. kinda brings up a point though. We've seen a lot of disappointment after successful seasons. what is going to make this season different?

My answer? Nagy

02 and 07 were the only seasons where that really happened. Those seasons were a lifetime ago as well. 2011 was shaping up to be an incredibly strong season. Can't control fluke injuries to our two most important offensive players.

However, I agree that our coaching is too strong to allow a total let down in 2019.