BFO All-Time Bears Draft // Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think that's a LOT to put on poor UOK. This thread is going to be the guy's life for as long as this takes to finish. (That's why we had like 4 different guys monitor the DraftCommish account. I'll be glad to help with that if that's what you want to do, since I've done a bunch of these before.) A really bad outcome would be if UOK gets so burnt out with all the work that he says, "we're never doing that again". I'm NOT going to do any of the above suggestions, other than send him a proxy list if I'm not going to be around.

IMO, if we're going to participate, it's up to each player to keep an eye on this thread and to send in proxies if you know you'll be unavailable.

Just another thing we did that's common sense, but hasn't been mentioned... While everyone gets 2 hour windows, the clock stops between 10pm and 8am central time. You can still make a choice during that time if you're on the clock, though. The next team is "on the clock" once the team before them picks, even though the clock doesn't start running until 8am. So multiple teams can make picks as long as they're "on the clock". That's how we did it anyway.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:I think that's a LOT to put on poor UOK. This thread is going to be the guy's life for as long as this takes to finish. (That's why we had like 4 different guys monitor the DraftCommish account. I'll be glad to help with that if that's what you want to do, since I've done a bunch of these before.) A really bad outcome would be if UOK gets so burnt out with all the work that he says, "we're never doing that again". I'm NOT going to do any of the above suggestions, other than send him a proxy list if I'm not going to be around.

IMO, if we're going to participate, it's up to each player to keep an eye on this thread and to send in proxies if you know you'll be unavailable.

Just another thing we did that's common sense, but hasn't been mentioned... While everyone gets 2 hour windows, the clock stops between 10pm and 8am central time. You can still make a choice during that time if you're on the clock, though. The next team is "on the clock" once the team before them picks, even though the clock doesn't start running until 8am. So multiple teams can make picks as long as they're "on the clock". That's how we did it anyway.
I check the board literally every 3-15 minutes, so don’t feel like I can’t handle things, lol. I think we can get through this as is, just need people to PM me their draft boards.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well I am hitting the hay. I will be checking first thing in the a.m. I think once we get thru the first rd things will go better.
UOK
Site Admin

No problem. We can give this another shot tomorrow and see if we can find a rhythm.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I think that's a LOT to put on poor UOK. This thread is going to be the guy's life for as long as this takes to finish. (That's why we had like 4 different guys monitor the DraftCommish account. I'll be glad to help with that if that's what you want to do, since I've done a bunch of these before.) A really bad outcome would be if UOK gets so burnt out with all the work that he says, "we're never doing that again". I'm NOT going to do any of the above suggestions, other than send him a proxy list if I'm not going to be around.

I check the board literally every 3-15 minutes, so don’t feel like I can’t handle things, lol. I think we can get through this as is, just need people to PM me their draft boards.
It's not that I think you can't handle it. It's the burnout factor that concerns me. :)

I hope I'm not pissing anybody off with my pretty direct commentary. It's just that we ran a 7-round message board NFL draft every March-April for like 15 years. Experience is a good teacher and I'm just trying to help. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:It's been 3 hours and The Marshall Plan is on the clock. I'll give him another 90 minutes or so since people gotta work and such.
Apologies if I screwed anything up.

If I can still pick, please put me down for Da Coach.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Since his pick is in I will make mine on the draft thread.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Since his pick is in I will make mine on the draft thread.
Jimbo Covert was a terrific pick. With all the great players on that '85 team, I think he was THE best player (Payton was near the end), despite all the pub that that D rightly got. And he plays a priority position. I was fantasizing that everyone would forget about him thru R2.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Going about it a little different. Payton and Sayers are the all world RBs the Bears had, but there are some others that can get the job done as well. The Bears have had very good o linemen throughout their history, with at least 5 in HOF. IMO that is probably the deepest position for the Bears throughout their history.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:It's been 3 hours and The Marshall Plan is on the clock. I'll give him another 90 minutes or so since people gotta work and such.
Apologies if I screwed anything up.

If I can still pick, please put me down for Da Coach.
No problem!

If you don't mind, please send me a PM with your top 10-25 players on your board, that way if you can't make it to the forum for a spell I can use that to fill in your picks so we can keep things rolling.
UOK
Site Admin

So here's what we're going to do:

I'll let everybody who's participating get their FIRST pick in. It may take a goddamn week, but at least everybody will have their first big talent and will have to check the thread to know what the deal is.

But after we get to pick cblaz11's pick (appropriately at 11 and 12), the two hour time limit will be enforced and if participants have not gotten a top 20 or so players on a "big board" to me via PM (or Facebook, email, whatever) then I will consult the Official Bears Top 100 list from the other day.

In other words, if you don't put your picks in on time and don't get me a list, your team will have a lot of guys from the 1940's Bears.
UOK
Site Admin

So far I’ve only gotten one PM from you lot. Cblaz, wab, pagan, and G08 I can readily notify, but the rest of you are really tricky about being contacted. This thing may never end unless we get some more active commitment to the game.
cblaz11
MVP

If it’s been a full 24 hours I’d rather just eliminate the team as opposed to making picks for them each rd. Just my thoughts
UOK
Site Admin

cblaz11 wrote:If it’s been a full 24 hours I’d rather just eliminate the team as opposed to making picks for them each rd. Just my thoughts
Yeah, agreed. I love Richie but he's posted in another thread already and has either missed this or isn't paying enough attention.

cblaz11, you are on the clock!
beardownbilly
Journeyman

We might all be finishing this draft in time for the Bears 125th anniversary season! LOL
cblaz11
MVP

Lol

Agreed...can we have everyone involved send a cell number to UOK...this is a little crazy lol

Then again, I have no life
UOK
Site Admin

I sent Pagan a FB message , so hopefully he checks in soon.
UOK
Site Admin

Pagan said he was going to get his picks in but got hung up with work. Told him he has until 9am ct before we gotta move on.
UOK
Site Admin

I've gotten a few top 5/10+ choices for a few of you, so hopefully we can make this thing go briskly.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Some quick movement there, keep it rolling :headbang:
UOK
Site Admin

The run on defensive linemen is killing me. The big guns are all basically gone. Gonna have to dig deep to fill out squads.
cblaz11
MVP

Ya, there’s a lot of depth players but the bug guys went quick.

This is going to be a lot of fun in the later rds
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Plenty of talent in this franchise. I am going new school, build up that O.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

are we nearing the end of rd 2? Most have 2 picks.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:are we nearing the end of rd 2? Most have 2 picks.
The way I drew it up, each round gives all participants 2 picks. Just how I roll.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No biggie. WE got some movement now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mikefive, Fortman was on my radar. Lots of good OL back in the day.
cblaz11
MVP

Killing me...I want Anderson or Cutler.
G08
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:Wilbur Marhsall
Damn good pick!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

The Jared Allen pick was tremendous. That's the spirit of the game right there.