TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surgery

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20279
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surgery

Wed May 29, 2019 2:28 pm

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... offseason/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Head Coach Matt Nagy informed reporters at Halas Hall that tight end Trey Burton is going to miss OTAs as he recovers from offseason sports hernia surgery. Nagy told reporters the surgery was related to the injury that kept Burton out of action during the team’s playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Wild-Card Sunday. And while it’s a bit bothersome that an injury that popped up in early January is still nagging Burton, Nagy laid out the process by which the team and Burton came to the conclusion to have surgery a few months ago.

“When the season was over, we thought let’s pull back a little bit, and let’s let him get a little bit of rest, come back and see where it’s at,” Nagy said. “We did that, and he wasn’t feeling real comfortable with it. So couple of months ago he ended up getting sports hernia surgery. No need for us to keep dragging this out, let’s get the thing right, and we feel like we’ve done that.”
Image
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19542
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am

Interesting.
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Thu May 30, 2019 10:15 am

hope he gets healthy and we can get the production out of him that we hoped for
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
Funkster
MVP
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Thu May 30, 2019 12:33 pm

I was admittedly hard on Burton for not playing in the playoff game. At first, it sounded like he got cold feet playing against his former team and faked an injury. This new info shows you can’t always get down on a player for not playing and things aren’t always what they seem. Heel up Trey and while you have some down time, remember to stay off the porn!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19542
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Thu May 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Funkster wrote:I was admittedly hard on Burton for not playing in the playoff game. At first, it sounded like he got cold feet playing against his former team and faked an injury. This new info shows you can’t always get down on a player for not playing and things aren’t always what they seem. Heel up Trey and while you have some down time, remember to stay off the porn!
I don't know that I bought much into the whole anxiety thing, but I was kind of skeptical about the overall severity of his injury. This sounds like maybe something he had been dealing with through a good bit of the season.
User avatar
Funkster
MVP
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 pm

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:I was admittedly hard on Burton for not playing in the playoff game. At first, it sounded like he got cold feet playing against his former team and faked an injury. This new info shows you can’t always get down on a player for not playing and things aren’t always what they seem. Heel up Trey and while you have some down time, remember to stay off the porn!
I don't know that I bought much into the whole anxiety thing, but I was kind of skeptical about the overall severity of his injury. This sounds like maybe something he had been dealing with through a good bit of the season.

And possibly why his production seemed to slip mid to late season? The TE position has been unstable and has eluded the bears since they moved on from Olsen. I’m hoping Shaheen can stay healthy and turn into Nagy’s version of Gronk. This offense would be lights out if they could get some consistent production out of that position.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2097
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:I was admittedly hard on Burton for not playing in the playoff game. At first, it sounded like he got cold feet playing against his former team and faked an injury. This new info shows you can’t always get down on a player for not playing and things aren’t always what they seem. Heel up Trey and while you have some down time, remember to stay off the porn!
I don't know that I bought much into the whole anxiety thing, but I was kind of skeptical about the overall severity of his injury. This sounds like maybe something he had been dealing with through a good bit of the season.

And possibly why his production seemed to slip mid to late season? The TE position has been unstable and has eluded the bears since they moved on from Olsen. I’m hoping Shaheen can stay healthy and turn into Nagy’s version of Gronk. This offense would be lights out if they could get some consistent production out of that position.
At this point it would be great if Shaheen just produced consistently and stayed healthy. A couple of catches a game, staying on his feet, and not getting hurt would be a success that would help a lot.
User avatar
VA_Mountain_Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 am

I had two sports hernias repaired at once. It sucks. Badly. He may be limited into the season depending how deep into his abdomen or pelvic floor the tears were and how he responds to the mess and the scar tissue. Perhaps this is part of the move of Sowell to TE?
User avatar
Bad Flanders
MVP
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: TE Trey Burton will miss OTAs due to sports hernia surge

Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am

The anxiety thing was over-blown. He was just being honest and it's going to be held over him almost like Cuttie's playoff injury. It's silly to think these guys should go out in front of tens of thousands of fans and millions of tv viewers and not experience SOME anxiety or other issues. It's more about being able to handle the pressure rather than whether they have it all. The guy wasn't ready for the play, that happens ALL THE TIME.

This is his actual quote;

"I told Nagy, 'Hey coach, I'm having crazy anxiety,' I couldn't sleep that night thinking about it. There were so many really good memories, but I'm not there anymore, I'm on a different team doing something different. I just didn't feel comfortable. Thankfully he said no 'big deal, I appreciate you letting me know' and 'Reek' was able to do it."

And I'm more concerned about them calling their running back 'Reek'! Have they not seen game of thrones?!?!?

Return to “Halas Hall”