View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:10 pm 
MVP

Prompted by the All-Time list.

Not looking for who you think is underrated/overrated specifically based on their list, just by Bears fans or NFL fans in general.

I already gave my top for each one in that thread.

Moriarty wrote:
There's only one other guy I'd even mention in a conversation about Most Overrated Bear of All Time and Briggs wins with ease.

Moriarty wrote:
McMichael's my easy vote for Most Underrated Bear of All Time.

#2 all time in sacks for a Bear, #1* NFL all-time leader in sacks by a true DT.
Carried the defense in the early 90s when he was old and virtually all the 85 front 7 was gone.

* Technically, Sapp is credited with 1.5 more, but McMichael has 2 yrs where sacks weren't an official statistic, so I'm confident he actually wins.

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:56 am 
Mod

This is kind of a tough one, especially when it comes to all-time. I generally try to do it by era.

In recent memory I'd say Mike Brown was pretty overrated. I mean I absolutely LOVED the dude, but picking off badly thrown balls and making big hits sort of inflated how fans viewed him. It's also what made him fun. But I think objectively, he wasn't as good as we all make him out to be.

As far as underrated, I think he's currently on the team. Akiem Hicks is one of the most underrated players in all of the NFL right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am 
Head Coach

While I concur on Brown on big time (just never was consistent enough but has splashes that got people's attention), my overrated would be McMahon. Loved the dude and the team seemed to win when he played, but it wasn't his play that won those games. He profited from a top notch D and Walter Payton.

Underrated I am going with Mark Bortz. Coming out of U of Iowa a DL. Converts to OL and starts all 16 games his rookie year. He would be one of the anchors on that line for 12 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Going from my lifetime, since I can only really judge what I've observed.

Overrated: Marty Booker. He had great hands and made a lot of snags, but he was not at all a game-changing receiver.

Underrated: I think Charles Leno Jr will go down as one of the most underrated players in Bears history. He's by no means a bad LT, but infinitely better than what he's given credit for. He's held one of the most difficult positions in sports down for years now, and while it's not at a Pro-Bowl level of dominance or consistency, he's by no means a swinging gate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 pm 
Crafty Veteran

YAAS SOME LENO LOVE

I have to agree with Mori on Briggs. Nod to wab as McMahon gets my first runner-up.

As for underrated, can't disagree with Hicks or Leno, but I'm gonna cast my vote for Corey Graham, who was even underappreciated by his own damned team.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm 
MVP

I've heard way too many opposing players talk about how devastating Briggs was to face. I can't call him overrated.

Hicks is getting love now. Leno is one of the top 5-6 left tackles in football and nobody talks about him.

Mike Brown is a great choice for overrated.

Alex Brown was always a little better than credited, IMO

Can I put Ditka down (strictly as a coach) for the most overrated Bear ever? He's a hall of fame TE, but the love he gets as a coach is a joke. He shouldn't be praised like a god for winning one SB with that team. He should be blasphemed for not winning more than that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:08 pm 
Head Coach

Briggs for me as well. Everything was funnelled to him and Urlacher still, easily, outshone him. He was obviously good but not great.

Underrated? I love me some Peanut. Still annoyed we didn't bring him back in 2015 ($2m for Tillman or $3m for Alan God Damn Ball)... But underrated, absolutely. Fumbles might not be quite as good as interceptions but they're still great. Throw in a lot of passes defended and it makes up for the lack of eye popping interception numbers. Plus this was against some great wideouts in the NFC North.

He gets a lot of respect but not enough.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:05 am 
MVP

One of my top 5 favorite Bears all time is James Big Cat Williams. The guy played through every injury and held Reggie White in check whenever we played the Packers (think White logged 2.5 sacks against us vs. Williams). The dude rarely gets mentioned except for his games played streak or when someone points out that he had some troubles with speed rushers.

I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 pm 
Practice Squad

Overrated -- Olin Kreutz. Always seemed to get pushed around by top level talent, and benefited from guard play.

Underrated -- Curtis Conway. probably a little biased here, but he was my favorite growing up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:05 pm 
MVP

Overrated - Kyle Long. Love the dude but IMO, doesn’t really live up to the hype.

Underrated - Charles Tillman. The guy never really got the credit he deserved. I loved watching him line up against megatron.