BFO All-Time Bears Draft // Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Original thread is here

RULES

Each participant may draft any player to have worn a Bears uniform to form a team of 24 starters that matches the following template:

QB
HB
WR
WR
OT
OT
OG
OG
C

HB/FB/TE/WR/END
HB/FB/TE/WR/END

DL
DL
DL
LB
LB
CB
CB
S
S

DL/LB/CB/EDGE
DL/LB/CB/EDGE

K
P

------

DRAFT TIMING

The draft will begin tomorrow at 10AM CT.

Participants will have 2 hours from the time of the previous poster to announce their pick with a post.

------

DRAFT ORDER (randomly selected)

1 Mikefive
2 G08
3 wab
4 The Marshall Plan
5 Otis Day
6 Umbali
7 Bears Whiskey Nut
8 Bear Down Billy
9 UOK
10 cblaz11
11 Pagan
The draft will continue snake-style as such:

11 Pagan
12 cblaz11
13 Richie
14 UOK
15 Bear Down Billy
16 Bears Whiskey Nut
17 Umbali
18 Otis day
19 The Marshall Plan
20 wab
21 G08
22 Mikefive

Order is subject to change if further people join the game. Late additions from this afternoon will be added subsequently in the order they volunteer.

PICKS

I will be keeping a spreadsheet of selections. Edits will not be permitted for the duration of the contest.

Trades are not allowed. Maybe next year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm going to have to drop out ... I was supposed to be teleworking the entire week, but now I have meetings and shit Thursday and Friday covering for someone else so will be unavailable to participate.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:I'm going to have to drop out ... I was supposed to be teleworking the entire week, but now I have meetings and shit Thursday and Friday covering for someone else so will be unavailable to participate.
No prob! Meetings are bullshit.
G08
Hall of Famer

New gig so my message board access is going to be more scattershot than it used to be... but I'll make sure to check in around 11am tomorrow!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Just for my mental approach to this... are we trying to field a team that we think could compete in today's NFL? For example, if we were doing that I'd be looking at Brian Urlacher a lot harder than I would Dick Butkus.

Or, are we drafting that player for what he did and who he was in THAT era (meaning their impact on the game will translate and transcend through the years and into our current team construction)?

I like the idea of the latter but I'm open to whatever -- just want everyone on the same page :)

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Just for my mental approach to this... are we trying to field a team that we think could compete in today's NFL? For example, if we were doing that I'd be looking at Brian Urlacher a lot harder than I would Dick Butkus.

Or, are we drafting that player for what he did and who he was in THAT era (meaning their impact on the game will translate and transcend through the years and into our current team construction)?

I like the idea of the latter but I'm open to whatever -- just want everyone on the same page :)
It's really whatever you want it to be. I'd say for your own mental sanity, look at it like we're drafting a league to play football circa 1999-2003. Right around tuck-rule era but before things got out of control.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'd like to suggest that you create a "DraftCommish" account and allow participants to PM proxy lists to that account. When we did our draft, we had like 4 guys that had the password for that account. They could periodically check the PMs and if there was a proxy list for a team owner on the clock, he would just pick the highest available player in the list and post it for that team, which then starts the clock for the next team.

For example, let's say wab (pick 3) knows he may not be around when it's his turn to pick. So he sends in a proxy list such as the example below.

1. Walter Payton
2. Brian Urlacher
3. Richard Dent

If a DraftCommish guy sees a PM from wab when he's on the clock, he can choose the highest available player on his list and make the pick for him immediately. It's important for proxies to contain a number of options to match the number of picks before and including yours. You don't want to send in a proxy with 5 picks before yours that says I want player A or player B, because both may be gone. So your proxy must be ignored.

We found that this saved time and dramatically reduced the "Vikings" situations where multiple owners were on the clock simultaneously.

Think about it.

And by the way, look for this draft to take three weeks or more to complete. I hope I'm wrong about that. Late rounds go slow. But we'll see. :-)

P.S. The #1 pick is going to be the greatest fooball player who ever lived! (IMO, of course.) :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:I'd like to suggest that you create a "DraftCommish" account and allow participants to PM proxy lists to that account. When we did our draft, we had like 4 guys that had the password for that account. They could periodically check the PMs and if there was a proxy list for a team owner on the clock, he would just pick the highest available player in the list and post it for that team, which then starts the clock for the next team.

For example, let's say wab (pick 3) knows he may not be around when it's his turn to pick. So he sends in a proxy list such as the example below.

1. Walter Payton
2. Brian Urlacher
3. Richard Dent

If a DraftCommish guy sees a PM from wab when he's on the clock, he can choose the highest available player on his list and make the pick for him immediately. It's important for proxies to contain a number of options to match the number of picks before and including yours. You don't want to send in a proxy with 5 picks before yours that says I want player A or player B, because both may be gone. So your proxy must be ignored.

We found that this saved time and dramatically reduced the "Vikings" situations where multiple owners were on the clock simultaneously.

Think about it.

And by the way, look for this draft to take three weeks or more to complete. I hope I'm wrong about that. Late rounds go slow. But we'll see. :-)

P.S. The #1 pick is going to be the greatest fooball player who ever lived! (IMO, of course.) :-)
Not a bad idea! I may slightly delay starting this to make those arrangements.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Whenever you're ready to start, the #1 pick in the All-Time Bears Draft...

From my perspective, needs to be a dominator. A tone setter. A guy who can intimidate the other team and make them change what they do. Physically dominating, but also smart. A guy who doesn't put up with any crap and can't stand losing. In my eyes, the best football player of all time, who combines all of these factors in a superior way is...

Dick Butkus, LB
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Another thing we did that was very helpful was to make a list of selections made in the thread that was maintained by the DraftCommish group. That way, it's pretty easy for everyone to see who has been picked. Otherwise you end up with duplicate picks that get voided and it's kind of a pain. Something like the following... 1-2 rounds per post....

Round 1
Mikefive… Dick Butkus
G08... Mitch Trubisky
wab… Devin Hester

etc.

UOK
Site Admin

So what I've decided to do is if players don't get their pick in by the deadline, I'll simply consult the ChicagoBears.com Top 100 for their pick and move on.
UOK
Site Admin

UOK wrote:So what I've decided to do is if players don't get their pick in by the deadline, I'll simply consult the ChicagoBears.com Top 100 for their pick and move on.
Also I'm totally okay with dragging this out a few weeks, honestly. Give people something to do when they log in and we can review it afterward.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm sitting here in awe. Never in a million years did I think the greatest Chicago Bears player ever would be available to me at #2.

I select Walter Payton, RB. His heart, work ethic, drive and endless determination is around what this franchise will be built. He can run, he can catch, he can block and he can throw the ball.

Butkus would have been my other choice if Payton was gone so I certainly understand the logic with the #1 pick. This is the face of, and the tone-setter for, this franchise.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I argree G08. I am attacking this like I would a real draft. Payton would have been my #1.

This will be interesting.
wab
Mod

Question, I might be confused. Are we drafting sort of like a Bears fantasy roster for ourselves...or are we collectively drafting one roster. I drink a lot, so sometimes you have to explain things slowly to me.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Question, I might be confused. Are we drafting sort of like a Bears fantasy roster for ourselves...or are we collectively drafting one roster. I drink a lot, so sometimes you have to explain things slowly to me.
No, each participant is like a GM of their own team.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:Question, I might be confused. Are we drafting sort of like a Bears fantasy roster for ourselves...or are we collectively drafting one roster. I drink a lot, so sometimes you have to explain things slowly to me.
No, each participant is like a GM of their own team.
Makes sense. That's what I thought.
UOK
Site Admin

It's been 3 hours and The Marshall Plan is on the clock. I'll give him another 90 minutes or so since people gotta work and such.
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Hmm, I’m in the UK, 6 hours ahead of you guys. I may be asleep for most of these picks :(
UOK
Site Admin

beardownbilly wrote:Hmm, I’m in the UK, 6 hours ahead of you guys. I may be asleep for most of these picks :(
PM me your top 25-50 and I’ll reference them if the time doesn’t sync well.

If you’re out of the US time zones please do the same.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:It's been 3 hours and The Marshall Plan is on the clock. I'll give him another 90 minutes or so since people gotta work and such.
Maybe I was wrong, but I commented in the picks thread that 3 guys are on the clock now. Maybe you guys disagree, but when you say 2 hours, then it should be 2 hours, especially if you have a proxy list PM option available to you. By saying "I'll give him another 90 minutes or so" sets it up for somebody else to cry foul when they're not given that amount of time. Plus, if we're running over time on pick 4, what do you think it's going to be like on pick 204? We don't want this to still be going on when the season starts.

:-)

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:
UOK wrote:It's been 3 hours and The Marshall Plan is on the clock. I'll give him another 90 minutes or so since people gotta work and such.
Maybe I was wrong, but I commented in the picks thread that 3 guys are on the clock now. Maybe you guys disagree, but when you say 2 hours, then it should be 2 hours, especially if you have a proxy list PM option available to you. By saying "I'll give him another 90 minutes or so" sets it up for somebody else to cry foul when they're not given that amount of time. Plus, if we're running over time on pick 4, what do you think it's going to be like on pick 204? We don't want this to still be going on when the season starts.

:-)

I’m making an exception for these first picks so that people don’t feel swept away and excluded off the bat. I’ll stick to a schedule as strictly as possible once we get through the bulk of everyone’s first selection so at least everybody’s informed. I’m as impatient as anyone but let’s tap the brakes just a hair...for now.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Fair enough. I'll remove my post in the other thread. :-)

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It'll be fine. If you have guys in mind and are checking regularly it will speed up. I have given UOK a list.

I hope to check back in around 9p.
G08
Hall of Famer

Would it be a good idea to create a group chat on facebook or give our cell numbers to UOK and he can ping us when we are up? Might help with the lag time if that is a concern (not like we have anything better to do right now anyway lol)

cblaz11
MVP

I’m down with that
UOK
Site Admin

I’m open to whatever you want to do, so if there’s a consensus, let me know.
cblaz11
MVP

I’d be open to a group text or FB messenger group
G08
Hall of Famer

Or we can give UOK our email addresses if people don't want to give out cell #'s or facebook info... whatever works really.

UOK
Site Admin

You can email me at uok@bearsfansonline.com