View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 am 
Site Admin

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2019 ... n-nfl-espn

“I think when you’re going to play defense, you’re going to lean on takeaways to help a young offense, and you don’t have a kicker, a reliable kicker, that you’re going to need those points from after some of those turnovers,” Fox said on ESPN’s “NFL Live,” where he serves as an analyst. “I think the kicking question is really big right now in Chicago. And I think that might be a problem for them in the season.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:02 pm 
Mod

UOK wrote:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2019/6/17/18683202/john-fox-bears-worst-offseason-nfl-espn

“I think when you’re going to play defense, you’re going to lean on takeaways to help a young offense, and you don’t have a kicker, a reliable kicker, that you’re going to need those points from after some of those turnovers,” Fox said on ESPN’s “NFL Live,” where he serves as an analyst. “I think the kicking question is really big right now in Chicago. And I think that might be a problem for them in the season.”

Says the guy that was largely responsible for pushing Robbie Gould out the door.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:58 pm 
MVP

You can argue about how they did relative to resources available, but in an absolute sense, if you’re talking about worst offseason personnel-wise, the Bears have to be prominent in the conversation.

They had the least draft capital to work with (5 picks total, 4/5 on Day 3, none in the top 70).
Their free agent changes were a net negative.
They lost a high quality coordinator, which might be a hit.

Bear fans are counting heavily on “2nd year together and in the offensive system” improvements to outweigh all that – which is possible, but a long way from certain.
Regardless, I don’t think you can really lump that in with “offseason moves”.

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:28 pm 
Mod

Quote:

Eh, IMO it was a push. I mean they almost went player for player when it comes to additions and losses. Also, fans are greatly over-valuing Callahan and Amos, and by extension undervaluing Skrine and HCD.

Bears lost FA / vs gained FA:

Kevin White / Cordarrelle Patterson - Upgrade
Eric Kush / Ted Larsen - Push
Bryan Witzmann / TJ Clemmings - Push
Bryce Callahan / Buster Skrine - Push, but close
Adrian Amos / HaHa Clinton-Dix - Push
Benny Cunningham / Mike Davis - Upgrade
Josh Bellamy / Marvin Hall - Push
Cody Parkey / Elliot Fry (Pinero was a trade) - TBD

The Bears also lost Michael Burton and Daniel Brown to Cleveland, and gained Kevin Pierre-Louis. But it's difficult to correlate although it's probably a net loss.

You also have to keep in mind who the Bears resigned:
Aaron Lynch
Nick Williams
Pat O'Donnell
DeAndre Houston-Carson

Then these Bears are FAs that remain unsigned...aside from Acho it's addition by subtraction:
Dion Sims
Sam Acho
Marcus Williams

Quote:
They had the least draft capital to work with (5 picks total, 4/5 on Day 3, none in the top 70).

Eh, they didn't have as many picks as other teams or as high as other teams, but one could argue from a value standpoint, they did better than a lot of other teams with the picks they did have.

Quote:
They lost a high quality coordinator

They also gained a high quality coordinator. But I'll give you this one. Fangio was ostensibly the best DC in football, so loosing him was probably the biggest hit to the team. But again, it's not like he was replaced by some unknown or chump.

Quote:
Bear fans are counting heavily on “2nd year together and in the offensive system” improvements

As they should, because progression within a well designed system is a real thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

wab wrote:
Also, fans are greatly over-valuing Callahan and Amos, and by extension undervaluing Skrine and HCD.

I think Clinton-Dix will be the 2019 version of 2017 Prince Amukamara - former high draft pick comes to Chicago with some concerns and becomes a stable presence.

As far as Amos and Callahan goes, I don't personally feel they were over or underrated. All of Callahan's positives are offset by his injury history, and Amos is steady but unexceptional (and presently vastly overpaid).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm 
Practice Squad

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
Also, fans are greatly over-valuing Callahan and Amos, and by extension undervaluing Skrine and HCD.

I think Clinton-Dix will be the 2019 version of 2017 Prince Amukamara - former high draft pick comes to Chicago with some concerns and becomes a stable presence.

As far as Amos and Callahan goes, I don't personally feel they were over or underrated. All of Callahan's positives are offset by his injury history, and Amos is steady but unexceptional (and presently vastly overpaid).

Great comparison. I don't expect Haha to be a playmaker, but I expect him to be in the right place at the right time 99% of the plays.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:57 pm 
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:
Quote:

Eh, IMO it was a push. I mean they almost went player for player when it comes to additions and losses. Also, fans are greatly over-valuing Callahan and Amos, and by extension undervaluing Skrine and HCD.

Bears lost FA / vs gained FA:

Kevin White / Cordarrelle Patterson - Upgrade
Eric Kush / Ted Larsen - Push
Bryan Witzmann / TJ Clemmings - Push
Bryce Callahan / Buster Skrine - Push, but close
Adrian Amos / HaHa Clinton-Dix - Push
Benny Cunningham / Mike Davis - Upgrade
Josh Bellamy / Marvin Hall - Push
Cody Parkey / Elliot Fry (Pinero was a trade) - TBD

The Bears also lost Michael Burton and Daniel Brown to Cleveland, and gained Kevin Pierre-Louis. But it's difficult to correlate although it's probably a net loss.

You also have to keep in mind who the Bears resigned:
Aaron Lynch
Nick Williams
Pat O'Donnell
DeAndre Houston-Carson

Then these Bears are FAs that remain unsigned...aside from Acho it's addition by subtraction:
Dion Sims
Sam Acho
Marcus Williams

Quote:

Eh, they didn't have as many picks as other teams or as high as other teams, but one could argue from a value standpoint, they did better than a lot of other teams with the picks they did have.

Quote:
They lost a high quality coordinator

They also gained a high quality coordinator. But I'll give you this one. Fangio was ostensibly the best DC in football, so loosing him was probably the biggest hit to the team. But again, it's not like he was replaced by some unknown or chump.

Quote:
Bear fans are counting heavily on “2nd year together and in the offensive system” improvements

As they should, because progression within a well designed system is a real thing.

+1 to wab.

Improvements to this Bears team will mostly need to come from the young players getting better, but that's the same story for the other 31 teams too.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 pm 
Head Coach

Agree mostly with Wab but I'm hard pressed not to think that Callahan and Amos for Skrine and Clinton-Dix isn't a downgrade. Maybe not as much as some think, and I'll be very happy to be proven wrong and I'm glad we didn't pay Amos that money but, in 2019, those two are downgrades.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:58 pm 
MVP

Luckily it would be borderline impossible for me to have less respect for John Fox’s football thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:09 pm 
MVP

Fox's comments should go in one ear and out the other.