Green Bay Picked To Win The Division

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

There are going to be, and probably have been already, a lot of articles like this going into the season, but this one I felt was noteworthy.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/284 ... ers#slide0

This Bleacher Report article has the Packers winning the division with 4 votes vs the Bears' 3 and the Vikings with 1. Maybe one of these days we will get some respect, but it isn't today. Having an amazing defense doesn't matter. An above average offense that is expected to make a big leap this year doesn't matter. I guess the justification for picking the Packers to win the division is Aaron Rodgers. Nevermind all of the other facets of the game.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:There are going to be, and probably have been already, a lot of articles like this going into the season, but this one I felt was noteworthy.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/284 ... ers#slide0

This Bleacher Report article has the Packers winning the division with 4 votes vs the Bears' 3 and the Vikings with 1. Maybe one of these days we will get some respect, but it isn't today. Having an amazing defense doesn't matter. An above average offense that is expected to make a big leap this year doesn't matter. I guess the justification for picking the Packers to win the division is Aaron Rodgers. Nevermind all of the other facets of the game.
Packers are just living off roger’s glory days. Which I believe are gone.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Shit. 2 HOF quarterbacks back-to-back covering what feels like 50 years has netted them 2 trophies. With some of the teams they put around those two, they should have had over double that.
Xee
Site Admin

Rogers hasn't looked himself the past two years and they'll have a rookie coach? Unless he can replicate Nagy's performance I'm struggling to see how they're expected to take the division.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Put it up in the locker room, Coach Nagy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Packers have benefited for a very long time from the fact the other teams in their division sucked ... even when the Bears didn't suck, they would still give Goon Bay gift scores and gift wins

if they were really as good as they think they are, it would have been them always competing with the Patriots for Super Bowl trophies ... but they haven't

so

and why the hell should this thread be polluting Halas Hall?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Based purely on Rodgers and the other teams inexperience or inconsistencies at QB. Games are not won on paper.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Based purely on Rodgers and the other teams inexperience or inconsistencies at QB. Games are not won on paper.
I think it's also based on the Nagy effect. New young coach from dynamic offense. Bears went from 5 to 12 wins as hot new coach wins coach of the year. GB 6 to 12 or 13? Sure! They have Rodgers after all!

But all things aren't necessarily equal, kids.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Based purely on Rodgers and the other teams inexperience or inconsistencies at QB. Games are not won on paper.
I think it's also based on the Nagy effect. New young coach from dynamic offense. Bears went from 5 to 12 wins as hot new coach wins coach of the year. GB 6 to 12 or 13? Sure! They have Rodgers after all!

But all things aren't necessarily equal, kids.
Our defense also played a huge role in that turnaround. I don't think Green Bay has a defense anywhere near our level.
Jssanto
Rookie

I understand sports writers placing such emphasis on the QB position in deciding rankings. Rogers is good but Dan Marino was great; you must have surrounding talent to win Super Bowl number of games, say 15 or 16
wab
Mod

I think the media is taking a lazy view of this. New young coach with HOF QB = obviously more wins.

But I don't think they are looking at the nuances within that coach/QB relationship. There's trouble afoot in GB, and it wouldn't surprise me if it implodes before mid-season.
UOK
Site Admin

So long as Aaron Rodgers is alive, playing for the Packers, and given at least 90 seconds of game clock to win or tie the game, the Bears will always be rightfully ranked behind Green Bay by talking heads and various analysts.

Son of a bitch can't get out of the NFL soon enough.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:So long as Aaron Rodgers is alive, playing for the Packers, and given at least 90 seconds of game clock to win or tie the game, the Bears will always be rightfully ranked behind Green Bay by talking heads and various analysts.

Son of a bitch can't get out of the NFL soon enough.

don't forget that Burnt Fart regularly did the same thing to the Bears and the happy cries of "good riddance" when he left Green Bay were quickly replaced with the sad realization of "not again" as Rodgers picked up where Farve left off

the cynic in me says once Rodgers decides to say adios, some other guy we never heard of will assume the mantle of Bears tormentor for a decade or so

need to find a way to break this curse and return the Packers to the days of Scott Hunter and Randy Wright and the usual 5 wins a season to go along with them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I hope everyone picks GB to win the division. I want the Bears to have a chip on their shoulder and not let success get to their heads.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:I hope everyone picks GB to win the division. I want the Bears to have a chip on their shoulder and not let success get to their heads.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think the media is taking a lazy view of this. New young coach with HOF QB = obviously more wins.

But I don't think they are looking at the nuances within that coach/QB relationship. There's trouble afoot in GB, and it wouldn't surprise me if it implodes before mid-season.
Yep. Here's what's going to happen. La Fluer is going to try and exert his control as the HC and offensive guru. Rodgers, thinking he has a young coach he can control, will want to do things his way. Somewhere between week 7 & 8, when the Pack are 2-5, and at risk of missing the playoffs for the second straight year, it will all implode.

And I will enjoy every minute.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I do not want the (Fuck The) Packers to have a total meltdown. Keep them in the 7-9 to 9-7 range for as long as possible and away from that top 10 pick. Let them constantly think that they are 1 or 2 players away from contention.