Kyle Long advocates for Mike Daniels via Twitter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Kyle Long advocates for Mike Daniels via Twitter
The Packers made a shocking move by letting Mike Daniels go at this point in the offseason. One has to wonder why they have moved on from such an underrated player. Could it be that he ruffled feathers within the new coaching staff? Maybe he upset Aaron Rodgers somehow? No matter the reason, Daniels is now free for the wooing. The Chicago Bears should be ready with chocolates and flowers.

It seems that the Long brothers think Daniels will make someone very happy. Chris Long initiated the tweet and Kyle Long not only retweeted it, but he also typed the word retweet. One would assume he wants everyone to retweet this on Twitter to get the attention of the Bears front office. He obviously is not a decision-maker, but Kyle Long is clearly advocating the Bears look into adding him.

The Bears can get inside information on Mike Davis pretty easily. All they need to do is ask Ha Ha Clinton-Dix who was a teammate of Davis for four and a half years. They can also ask those who have played against Davis. This is again where Kyle Long comes into play. Long clearly believes Davis is a good player and knows firsthand having to block him.

Davis reminds me of Eddie Goldman. Not their style of play per se, but the fact that both are easily underrated and overlooked nationally. Davis would add some solid depth to an already very talented defensive unit. Can the Bears find a way to sway him to Chicago? One would think he’d like to go up against a coaching staff that handed him his exit papers.

Can the Bears afford him though? At this point in the offseason, I would assume Davis would have to sign a short-term deal. Most likely a one or two year contract. He is 30 years old now and will need to prove he can stay healthy after only playing in 14 games in 2017 and only 10 games in 2018.

I think he would fit in well in the Bears DL rotation ... not sure how he would fit as far as contract and cap concerns
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Packer fan son says Daniels is 30, was hurt most or all of last season with a lower leg or foot and may never be the same. Certainly not worth the $10M he was making.

If you can get him for a song, probably worth a shot. But for the $6-7M he could command in the marketplace--even at this time of year--probably not. Definitely a guy you wouldn't want to commit to for multiple years. But if it's SB or bust, maybe.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

I'd say it's only worth looking into him if there's early injuries in camp.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Even at half (8.5ish) of what he was making before, that would be a brutal hit - that's 4.25 less rolling to next year, where they're already seriously up against it. That would be a major "all in now, and to hell with the future" move.
Which is not to say Pace wouldn't. But I wouldn't.

He'd have to be willing to play in the 1-2M range, which I'm not seeing as very likely.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I don't want anyone taking snaps from Nichols or RRH.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I don't want anyone taking snaps from Nichols or RRH.
That's an excellent point. Even without that, which is enough on its own, there are better uses of the money. Get some depth on the OL or (what really concerns me) is the secondary with Clinton-Dix and every now and then Eddie Jackson gets injured.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Getting an extra guy in a good rotation on that D line wouldn't hurt no one.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I don't want that either. Nichols is going to be the kid to watch on the DL. My guess is he has a monster year.
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Getting an extra guy in a good rotation on that D line wouldn't hurt no one.
OK, then give those snaps to Bullard or see what Jalen Dalton or Jonathan Harris have to offer. 8mil for the 4th guy in the rotation makes no sense.
Richie
MVP

This simple and direct sentence sums up my feelings. We're fine. No need to throw 4-5 mil at Daniels.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

signed with the Lions, so this thread can be closed or moved

thread with Lions signing is here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin