Training Camp: Updates, notes, discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Cre'Von LeBlanc apparently got hurt yesterday, which explains his absence from practice this morning. Because LeBlanc was a full participant yesterday and the Eagles don't give daily injury updates there was speculation about his future. No word what his injury is or how serious.

@RoobNBCS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Cre'Von LeBlanc apparently got hurt yesterday, which explains his absence from practice this morning. Because LeBlanc was a full participant yesterday and the Eagles don't give daily injury updates there was speculation about his future. No word what his injury is or how serious.

@RoobNBCS
Possible trade not injury is the initial reports I have seen.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Bears Wr Riley Ridley suffered a hamstring injury in today’s practice...

...and so it begins
Have a great day
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:Bears Wr Riley Ridley suffered a hamstring injury in today’s practice...

...and so it begins
Pace said today he thinks Ha Ha is close to returning and said Ridley’s hammy wasn’t serious.

Hopefully both are true.
G08
Hall of Famer

Shaheen has yet to come out for practice... I swear to God if this dude is hurt again...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Shaheen has yet to come out for practice... I swear to God if this dude is hurt again...

Yeah. If he's hurt again, it's time to move on. Guy had a lot of promise. Just can't stay healthy.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:Shaheen has yet to come out for practice... I swear to God if this dude is hurt again...

Yeah. If he's hurt again, it's time to move on. Guy had a lot of promise. Just can't stay healthy.
They said it was a sore lower back.

Also Ha Ha was doing some side work, so it sounds like he’s not too far off.
BR0D1E86
MVP

This tweet excites...

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 20448?s=20

Also read some stuff that Trubisky started off rusty in 11 on 11 today, but the second half of practice he was throwing darts.

Also, I hope Montgomery is successful, because it’s hard not to like the kid...

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/ ... 96608?s=20
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am not sure Shaheen has shown much. Lot of expectations, but really he has been a mystery and someone who was drafted a little to early.
UOK
Site Admin

Was at Training Camp today. Some pics:

My thoughts:
  • QB
  • Trubisky looked off all day. Passes weren't sharp, throws were low, adrift, or otherwise wonky. Ball was thrown well velocity-wise, but his targets had to work harder than necessary today. Got picked a couple times. Not a great showing.
  • Daniel looked good. He's a lot shorter than you'd think.
  • Tyler Bray was fine in as much as I saw him. He's a tall dude.

HB
  • Montgomery fumbled during the scrimmage, and up-downs were his punishment.
  • Mike Davis made a few catches in check downs that were well done for what they were.
  • Ryan Nall had a nice day, including a carry where he went untouched to the end zone. He's also HUGE. Guy is a beast.

WR
  • Robinson had a spectacular sideline leaping catch from Trubisky during the scrimmage, and was consistently showing he's in good health and has great hands.
  • Gabriel is tiny. Tiny, tiny.
  • Cordarelle Patterson, contrastly, is enormous. I don't know how useful he'll be, but size-wise he's unusual. Patterson landed awkwardly after one play and was sitting down for long enough to where fans began to shout in concern, but he got up shortly thereafter and practiced normally the rest of the day. I think he was frustrated more than anything.
  • Tanner Gentry has some sweet tattoos.
  • Mizzell, as is tradition, got too many touches for my taste, but maybe that's a credit to him shaking 2nd and 3rd team coverage.
  • Emanuel Hall wears #6 and it threw me off a number of times.

TE
  • Weird to see Brad Sowell in 85 and playing TE, but he looks like he's in great shape. Made a falling catch that earned some cheers.
  • Day Raymond was targeted a ton in 2nd/3rd team drills and stood out from among the herd. Definitely going to make some decisions difficult for the coaches if he keeps that up.
  • I don't think Burton was targeted once today, but I was on the far side of the field for the beginning of practice.
  • Braunecker had a drop that should've been a catch.

OL
  • Kyle Long was prowling the sidelines with the 1st string linemen when a fan yelled, “HEY LONG” which was met with a stern look from 75. “Glad to see you healthy, big man!” Long pointed to the stands and fans cheered. Cool moment.
  • Charles Leno Jr's hands are absolutely huge.
  • Ted Larsen looked like he was exhausted as hell. It was a hot day and all, but I feel like I saw him in particular more than others pounding the Gatorade.
  • Rashaad Coward looks like he's in tremendous shape. Couldn't quite tell where they had him lining up at, but at a glance, his physique is impressive.
  • Alex Bars was active and participating in practice and as far as I could observe wasn't limited.
  • Marquez Tucker is a giant. Look for him in PS, #71. He's 6'4" 291, and he's STILL dwarfed by virtually all the other linemen.

DL
  • I barely saw any work from the defensive line. I was mostly watching the offense and linebackers from my vantage.

LB
  • Roquan Smith was always in the mix. Guy is everywhere.
  • Kylie Fitts would've had a sack if they were in full contact.
  • Trevathan broke up a good pass on a short route and did a big celebration. That was fun.
  • I didn't see Matt Betts, but he may have been simply out of my line of sight.

DB
  • Eddie Jackson made an insane leaping pick on Trubisky when #10 threw to a double-covered Gabriel. Huge cheer.
  • Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was doing solo work on the far field as warm-ups began. Looked like he was cutting and performing athletic maneuvers. My guess is that indeed his knee is not a major concern.

ST
  • Eddie Pineiro's day was today, and he is working with backup longsnapper John Wirtel (??). When it came time to kick, the place shut down and all the players gathered around. It was super tense. Fans were clearly out for blood if he hit the goalpost, but thankfully he was clean as a whistle from 30-50 yards. He was wide right from 55, but finished the day with a 62-ish yard bomb.
  • Pat O'Donnell's drills are ridiculous. He basically practices catching the ball without kicking. It's super odd to watch.

OTHER THOUGHTS
  • Nagy is so damn loud. He's having the time of his life out there. I'm curious if no other coaches are allowed to wear a visor, because you can always tell which coach is Nagy (besides the yelling) due to the unique headwear. It got me jacked up to hear him talking to his guys.
  • Parking was easy as pie, staff was all super nice and friendly.
  • Lot of NFL fans there wearing Steelers, Jaguars, and even Lions jerseys. Kind of odd.

-----------

TRAINING CAMP TIPS

If you're planning on going to Training Camp in the future...
  • ...get in line at 6am, bring a camping chair, and set up camp right against the yellow ropes along the far field. Don't arrive at 7:30 like I did. There are 4 entrances or so, and each one of them had a solid 20-30 minute wait to get in, and once you did, the far side of the 3 fields (where the offense and defense is almost the entire day) is completely filled up. I got lucky and wormed my way around into a gap right before the scrimmage and kicking portion of practice, but it took a ton of wandering around and watching from behind walls of people before that opened up.
  • ...wear sunscreen.
  • ...don't wear your nice Bears swag, for the love of God. There were a TON of people wearing clearly brand new white alternate jerseys. On a 93 degree day, these people wore white, heavy, expensive jerseys out in the sun. There will be a lot of dopes at home tonight bleaching the armpits and collars of their $150 fresh-off-the-rack jerseys. Wear a sun hat and a tanktop and sneakers. Boom, done.
  • ...try to avoid bringing your kids unless they're a little older. The number of kids on dad's shoulders was absolutely infuriating (hey pops - you're fucking over a lot of people who are trying to watch the same thing), and the amount of kids whining because they wanted THEIR turn on dad's shoulders was unpleasant, to say the least. Bored kids were banging and stomping their feet on the loud-ass metal bleachers, or complaining how hot it was, how they wanted to go home, etc., etc. It's not a Zoo. It's a bunch of huge men practicing their route trees and doing stretches.
  • ...if you're not overburdened with kids, bags, coolers, etc., and want to beat traffic, leave right after the scrimmage and kicking drills, usually around 10:30 or so. They say the event ends at noon, but at 11am almost all the players sign autographs and meet/green fans, and/or do media before they're dismissed.
  • ...understand that you're probably not going to see much or get as close as you thought.
  • ...drink plenty of fluids before you go in. Soda machine drinks are it, and they're $3 apiece.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK:

That writeup was awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Great stuff AOK!

Additional tips on going to camp...
- As crowded as it has been so far, I'd absolutely get there early--it opens at 7:30.
- It sounds like UOK followed the signs and went in the main entrance. (I could be wrong.) But there's an overflow parking lot on the north side of the facility that you can get to if you come in on Stadium Drive. There are "local traffic only" signs there, but since I'm an ONU alum, I consider myself local. :evilgrin: The lines are shorter, the traffic is much lighter and it's closer to Thehellouttatown where everybody is trying to get.
- Wear a big floppy hat and sunscreen. Your ears and neck will thank you later.
- Wear light colored clothing and if you're there with somebody else, DON'T wear Bears stuff. If you get separated, it's much easier to find each other that way.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:Great stuff AOK!

Additional tips on going to camp...
- As crowded as it has been so far, I'd absolutely get there early--it opens at 7:30.
- It sounds like UOK followed the signs and went in the main entrance. (I could be wrong.) But there's an overflow parking lot on the north side of the facility that you can get to if you come in on Stadium Drive. There are "local traffic only" signs there, but since I'm an ONU alum, I consider myself local. :evilgrin: The lines are shorter, the traffic is much lighter and it's closer to Thehellouttatown where everybody is trying to get.
I came in through Stadium Drive and parked on the grass. It was great.

Raining cats and dogs at TC today.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Next year I’m so coming...I’m gonna need a couple of guides..uok and co up for It. Sounds like great fun
Have a great day
Xee
Site Admin

Awesome post UOK. You have also convinced me not to go. haha Since I'm an hour and a half out, I'd have to leave the house at 5:00am to get there at 6:30am. No thanks. Also was thinking of bringing the kid but it sounds like that would have been a disaster.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'd echo UOK's sentiments about bringing kids. If you don't care about playing close attention to the practice, bring the kids and a ball and let the kids have fun in some of the open space and the kid activities. But if you want to be able to watch and gain the input from practice that UOK's write up would require, leave the kids at home.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:I'd echo UOK's sentiments about bringing kids. If you don't care about playing close attention to the practice, bring the kids and a ball and let the kids have fun in some of the open space and the kid activities. But if you want to be able to watch and gain the input from practice that UOK's write up would require, leave the kids at home.
There's a ton of room for kids to find a stretch of area to play catch so long as they're mindful and respectful of their surroundings, and they DO have some gimmicky stuff for families to do, but not much. Players obviously favor giving autographs and taking pictures with kids, so that's fun too. Just don't tell them that you're going to a game, because that's a bigtime false impression.
Xee wrote:Awesome post UOK. You have also convinced me not to go. haha Since I'm an hour and a half out, I'd have to leave the house at 5:00am to get there at 6:30am. No thanks. Also was thinking of bringing the kid but it sounds like that would have been a disaster.
Yeah we left at 6am sharp. A tired, tired morning drive. We're definitely getting a hotel nearby next time and getting up at 6 to get in line.

And your kid could have a great time, depending on their age, but any child younger than 8 or 9 would be pretty unhappy and bored very quickly. I saw a lot of kids in the 11, 12 year old range that were having the time of their lives.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote:Next year I’m so coming...I’m gonna need a couple of guides..uok and co up for It. Sounds like great fun
Ping me next year and we'll see what we can work out. :)

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Bearfanuk wrote:Next year I’m so coming...I’m gonna need a couple of guides..uok and co up for It. Sounds like great fun
Ping me next year and we'll see what we can work out. :)
If there's a group outing for training camp next year I'd like to join. I've never been there and I would love to.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

This is awesome. Thanks mike and Marshall five great idea. Forum day out followed by an evening on the strong alcoholic stuff
Have a great day
sturf
Journeyman

RB: Cohen, Davis, Montgomery, and Patterson all get some 1st team reps. Montgomery is still currently participating in special teams drills at this point. Nall looks smooth. Whythe's speed has recently shown up yet. Maybe in the preseason games.

WR: Miller seemed to work exclusively out of the slot. Wims was consistently getting reps with the 1st team. So Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, and Wims with Patterson in certain packages. M. Hall consistently with the second team, but he's only making the team because of special teams. E. Hall only practiced once and wasn't noticeable. Thomas Ives has been the undrafted WR that has stood out.

OL: 2nd Team was from left to right: Cornelius Lucas, Alex Bars, Jordan McCray, Ted Larsen, Rashaad Coward: Larsen looks fat at RG. Promising to see Bars at 2nd team LG from practice 1.

DL: Nichols is the 3rd starter doesn't appear to be any competition taking place. 2nd team is Robertson-Harris, Nick Williams at NT, and Bullard. Nichols and Robertson are clearly the 2nd team combo in sub packages. Really think they are only going to keep 5 on the 53 with Bullard as the 5th.

OLB: Mack destroys team drills, especially since they are letting him be single blocked this early in camp. Watching practice I was reminded that Baltimore tended to have a primary pass rusher in Suggs at ROLB and the LOLB tended to be a more versatile player that didn't necessarily get high sack numbers. Floyd's been moved around a bit in addition to the standard defense He's lined up on the same side of Mack a fair bit like Fangio used in the Rams game. The depth chart is the same as last year. 3 - Lynch, 4 - Irving 5 - Fitts. The next guy would be James Vaughters.

ILB: Looks like Kwiatkoski is only 2nd team in the base defense. They are bumping Woods or Pierre-Louis to join Iyiegbuniwe on the 2nd team in sub packages.

S: With Clinton-Dix out Bush has taken all the 1st team reps. Houston-Carson and McMannis have been the second team. Houston-Carson is 1st team on a bunch of special teams so those four plus Jackson are the 5 safeties on the 53.

CB: The second team has been Tolliver along with either Michael Joseph or John Franklin III on the outside with Shelley exclusively playing NB at this point. Denmark has been the 3rd team right corner. Toliver hasn't stood out to the point where him making the roster again is a lock.

Overall Trubisky is in command of the team. Robinson looks good. But going to against this Bears defense especially with having Mack in training camp this year it is apparent that the Bears have depth on offense, but they don't really have any physical freaks that just overpower a defense. They are going to have to execute to be successful against the best defenses.

The defense looks great. They may not put up the same numbers, but the quality of play can be just as good. And they certainly have the potential to play better than the defense that played in the playoffs without Jackson and Callahan.
UOK
Site Admin

sturf wrote:RB: Cohen, Davis, Montgomery, and Patterson all get some 1st team reps. Montgomery is still currently participating in special teams drills at this point. Nall looks smooth. Whythe's speed has recently shown up yet. Maybe in the preseason games.

WR: Miller seemed to work exclusively out of the slot. Wims was consistently getting reps with the 1st team. So Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, and Wims with Patterson in certain packages. M. Hall consistently with the second team, but he's only making the team because of special teams. E. Hall only practiced once and wasn't noticeable. Thomas Ives has been the undrafted WR that has stood out.

OL: 2nd Team was from left to right: Cornelius Lucas, Alex Bars, Jordan McCray, Ted Larsen, Rashaad Coward: Larsen looks fat at RG. Promising to see Bars at 2nd team LG from practice 1.

DL: Nichols is the 3rd starter doesn't appear to be any competition taking place. 2nd team is Robertson-Harris, Nick Williams at NT, and Bullard. Nichols and Robertson are clearly the 2nd team combo in sub packages. Really think they are only going to keep 5 on the 53 with Bullard as the 5th.

OLB: Mack destroys team drills, especially since they are letting him be single blocked this early in camp. Watching practice I was reminded that Baltimore tended to have a primary pass rusher in Suggs at ROLB and the LOLB tended to be a more versatile player that didn't necessarily get high sack numbers. Floyd's been moved around a bit in addition to the standard defense He's lined up on the same side of Mack a fair bit like Fangio used in the Rams game. The depth chart is the same as last year. 3 - Lynch, 4 - Irving 5 - Fitts. The next guy would be James Vaughters.

ILB: Looks like Kwiatkoski is only 2nd team in the base defense. They are bumping Woods or Pierre-Louis to join Iyiegbuniwe on the 2nd team in sub packages.

S: With Clinton-Dix out Bush has taken all the 1st team reps. Houston-Carson and McMannis have been the second team. Houston-Carson is 1st team on a bunch of special teams so those four plus Jackson are the 5 safeties on the 53.

CB: The second team has been Tolliver along with either Michael Joseph or John Franklin III on the outside with Shelley exclusively playing NB at this point. Denmark has been the 3rd team right corner. Toliver hasn't stood out to the point where him making the roster again is a lock.

Overall Trubisky is in command of the team. Robinson looks good. But going to against this Bears defense especially with having Mack in training camp this year it is apparent that the Bears have depth on offense, but they don't really have any physical freaks that just overpower a defense. They are going to have to execute to be successful against the best defenses.

The defense looks great. They may not put up the same numbers, but the quality of play can be just as good. And they certainly have the potential to play better than the defense that played in the playoffs without Jackson and Callahan.
Great write-up. Confirms my thought that Larsen looked out of shape.

Nall could challenge for the roster. Part of me hopes he makes it out of sheer effort.
G08
Hall of Famer

sturf wrote:RB: Cohen, Davis, Montgomery, and Patterson all get some 1st team reps. Montgomery is still currently participating in special teams drills at this point. Nall looks smooth. Whythe's speed has recently shown up yet. Maybe in the preseason games.

Awesome stuff!
UOK
Site Admin

Adam Shaheen is practicing today.
UOK
Site Admin

UOK wrote:Adam Shaheen is practicing today.
Update: that didn't take long

AlyssaBarbieri
Adam Shaheen is leaving the practice field with a trainer, walking gingerly. Could’ve tweaked something in his back #BearsCamp #Bears
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:

AlyssaBarbieri
Adam Shaheen is leaving the practice field with a trainer, walking gingerly. Could’ve tweaked something in his back #BearsCamp #Bears
He must be dealing with a disk that keeps popping. sounds like what I go through when my disk pops. I can be fine for months then I bend over and it just bulges.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

@AdamHoge
6m
Good start to practice for Deon Bush. Broke up a pass on Allen Robinson (if it was live, it may have been a dangerous situation for Robinson) and then picked off Trubisky when the ball went off Mike Davis’ hands.

@markgrotesports
8m
Bears Safety Deon Bush having a day. Picked Mitch, and, broke up a deep ball intended for Allen Robinson.

@RobertZeglinski
20s
Marvin Hall making deep receptions downfield with the No. 2’s and No. 3’s, even adjusts for one off a throw that hung in the air.

@ChicagoAudible
49s
Tyler Bray just completed a back-shoulder pass to Thomas Ives on the right sideline. There wasn't any other place Bray could have put that ball. Kevin Toliver was in great coverage.

@ChicagoAudible
6m
Bilal Nichols showing off his hops, goes way up to bat down a Daniel pass.

@BearsBarroom
7m
Ryan Nall with a GREAT 45 yard catch. He’s been a Mack Daddy all camp long. @Ryannall34
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:

AlyssaBarbieri

perhaps this is the training camp where the Adam Shaheen experiment is quietly put to rest?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:

AlyssaBarbieri

perhaps this is the training camp where the Adam Shaheen experiment is quietly put to rest?
I doubt it, he’s still got one more season of former second round pick-ness to live off of, I think.

Also Riley Ridley is still out with the hamstring and Zach Miller is there guest coaching today.

https://twitter.com/JasonLieser/status/ ... 60064?s=20
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:

AlyssaBarbieri
Jesus fucking Christ!

Someone scour the waiver wire already, or Dax Raymond you'd better get up to task fast.