Welcome to the new BearsFansOnline!

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

UOK
Site Admin

Welcome to the new BearsFansOnline!

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:05 am

Hey all! As you may have noticed, things have changed drastically around here.

For the last few weeks, we've been testing things out with the new look, and with the new updated look come new, updated features!

AUTOMATIC MEDIA

Pasting links from the following pages will automatically embed in the message body:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Reddit
  • Twitch
  • Spotify
  • Pinterest
  • UStream
  • DailyMotion
  • Streamable
  • Soundcloud
  • Streamja
  • Vimeo
...and more. Some links may not work, despite being supported out of the box, so please point out to Xee or myself via PM when a pasted link doesn't seem to work.

Please note: Some media embedding may not be visible due to conflicts with your...
  • web browser
  • adblockers
  • content filters
  • extensions
  • add-ons

Pasting direct links to images will automatically embed in the message body.

Supported file formats:
  • .gif
  • .gifv
  • .jpeg
  • .jpg
  • .mp4
  • .png
.tif and .pdf files are not embeddable at this time.

In addition to Smilies, users can also use Emojis.

Bitmojis and images/gifs that are typically pasted from an alternate keyboard on your iPhone or Android devices are not supported.

--------------

BFO DISCORD CHAT

For many years, Road has awesomely hosted an mIRC channel for us to chat on, but I took the initiative of creating a BFO Discord channel.

This is a very popular chat template that is compatible with any device, including smartphones.

Click the "BFO Discord" link at the top of the page to join the chatroom.

--------------

NOTIFICATIONS

In the top panel, you should notice a Notifications box...if you are quoted or have forum/thread subscriptions, you will get a notification alert. There are other features we are working on that will appear in the Notifications pane, but they're not quite done cooking yet.

------------

There are some buggy things that need addressing right away:

1. Avatars have all been reset (you'll have to take care of that)

2. Some colors are wrong or need fixing (we'll take care of that)

3. There are many more of you who are using this format now, so I'm sure there will be surprises!

If things do NOT WORK, you notice errors, bugs, wonky bits, please send Xee or myself a PM, post in The Back Office, or email me: UOK@bearsfansonline.com, and we'll address the problems soon.
UOK
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new BearsFansOnline!

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:37 pm

UPDATES

There are still a few color snafoos that Xee and I will hopefully get adjusted before too long. Please report any weird-ass colors (purples, pinks, etc).

The board is also running somewhat slowly as well. We're looking into it.
mmmc_35
Head Coach

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:27 pm

I fear and dislike change.
Xee
Site Admin

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 pm

mmmc_35 wrote:
Haha. Same here but I'm already getting used to the new look. Truth be told, along with the usability improvements and better compatibility with mobile devices, this was done also for security reasons as well. The forum version we were running was extremely old and because of that, was much more vulnerable.
UOK
Site Admin

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:53 pm

mmmc_35 wrote:
I think our forum software hadn't been updated since...2010?

I think the update looks great, and the ability to better communicate and discuss Bears stuff with embeddable Tweets, etc? Man, that's what we've needed for years. Even YouTube embedding had failed recently.

It was time for a change, and I'm loving how it's turned out. Thanks to our beta testers!
Xee
Site Admin

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:22 pm

Anyone else have an issue where all the topics in a forum are read but some of the topic icons are still orange? Just want to be sure it isn't just me before I add it to the list of things to look into.
UOK
Site Admin

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Xee wrote:
Anyone else have an issue where all the topics in a forum are read but some of the topic icons are still orange? Just want to be sure it isn't just me before I add it to the list of things to look into.
I think it's a poor way the new forum skin recognizes a "hot" topic.

We may just have to change a few colors in the CSS to have read threads and all other variables (hot/popular/"your" threads) be white. Only unread posts should be orange.

Same for the announcements and so forth. Really no good way to denote that they're read/etc. They're just orange permanently.
Atkins&Rebel
MVP

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:35 am

Looks Great! Love having the number of pages condensed. The colors will take a little getting used to, but I think they're easier on the eyes.
The quote reply button isn't as obvious, but not hard to figure out.
Maybe make each post header smaller for each reply? (personally I just like having the date up in the corner...don't need the topic repeated in every reply, but making it smaller will help be less distracting for the conversation)
That's all I can find
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Ormazd
MVP

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 am

Like the new look!
Xee
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am

UOK wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:57 pm
Xee wrote:
I think it's a poor way the new forum skin recognizes a "hot" topic.

We may just have to change a few colors in the CSS to have read threads and all other variables (hot/popular/"your" threads) be white. Only unread posts should be orange.

Same for the announcements and so forth. Really no good way to denote that they're read/etc. They're just orange permanently.
Ah, okay, that makes sense then.
Xee
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 am

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:35 am
Maybe make each post header smaller for each reply? (personally I just like having the date up in the corner...don't need the topic repeated in every reply, but making it smaller will help be less distracting for the conversation)
Good point, I can look into it and see if it's an easy change.
Road
Pro Bowler

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:21 am

The new site looks good!
I’m sure it’ll be a big improvement once it’s all sorted out.
It’s also good you’ve started your own chat. It’s past time for the monstershow to die off. It is after all the last thing to go from the old regime.
You might as well unstick the (Join the Gameday Chatroom) thread too. No need having old news stuck to near the top of recent topics.

Keep up the good work!
Another exciting Bears season is about to begin!
G08
Hall of Famer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:00 pm

I love it! UOK I can't seem to "ping" people anymore

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
The Marshall Plan
MVP

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:00 pm

I like what you've done with the place. I almost feel the need to take my shoes off or put on formal pants when I post here now.
mmmc_35
Head Coach

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:56 pm

While I fear change I don't have any negatives. I do think the orange is to bright. At least on mobile.
UOK
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:58 pm

mmmc_35 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:56 pm
While I fear change I don't have any negatives. I do think the orange is to bright. At least on mobile.
I'm doing some editing of colors around the board to make things easier on the eyes.
malk
Head Coach

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Looks really nice and the extra functionality will be a boon. I'm also getting read threads still shown in orange which is a bit annoying...

Another really minor thing, if the picture at the top could link back to the main page that'd be nice.

EDIT: Read threads are fine now, probably me being a berk.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
UOK
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm

malk wrote:
Looks really nice and the extra functionality will be a boon. I'm also getting read threads still shown in orange which is a bit annoying...

Another really minor thing, if the picture at the top could link back to the main page that'd be nice.

We talked about getting the header to point back to the site index, and it's not as simple as we thought, but we'll work to get that back in the mix (I miss it).

The read/unread color bullshit should all be straightened out now - refresh your page.

I'm working on getting the footer to stop being a stupid gray and for the codebox feature to not be all white.

After the truly unreadable/broken color crap is fixed, I'll see about toning the orange down a bit.
malk
Head Coach

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 pm

UOK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm
malk wrote:

We talked about getting the header to point back to the site index, and it's not as simple as we thought, but we'll work to get that back in the mix (I miss it).

The read/unread color bullshit should all be straightened out now - refresh your page.

I'm working on getting the footer to stop being a stupid gray and for the codebox feature to not be all white.

After the truly unreadable/broken color crap is fixed, I'll see about toning the orange down a bit.
Thanks for the work on this! The orange is fine for me but, as you've mentioned, the fluro blue in replies is burning my eyeees!

EDIT: And now it's a reasonable grey rather then weird blue. I'm gonna shut up for a bit as you're clearly ironing out problems quicker than I'm noticing them...

Maybe check the language settings though, there's something that's missing a u in colour...
Last edited by malk on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
UOK
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:29 pm

malk wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for the work on this! The orange is fine for me but, as you've mentioned, the fluro blue in replies is burning my eyeees!

Ha, that was just for testing purposes!! It's fixed now. Had to intentionally make it horrible to make sure my color code was in the right spot.

Codeboxes are fixed (thank God, annoying as hell), and I changed quotes to stand out a bit more from the posts they're in.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Hey guys, I got logged out and when I logged back in the board is on the default night mode. I went to the display options under settings and couldn't find the setting to turn it back to the non-night mode option. Does anyone know if I can revert it back? If yes, can you please tell me where to go to change it? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just read the posts above about the new changes, still - just wondering if I can change the night mode. Thank you!
Never Die Easy
UOK
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:39 pm

There is currently only the one type of theme for the forum. The light/white theme is no more (for now).
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm

UOK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:39 pm
There is currently only the one type of theme for the forum. The light/white theme is no more (for now).

Gotcha, thank you for the quick response!
Never Die Easy
UOK
Site Admin

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 am

Don't forget, if you're not sure where you report, quote, and edit posts, you simply have to hover over the top of the post to get the options menu to appear:

wab
Mod

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 am

I dig it.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am

I know we talked about it in another thread, but if it’s not going to be compatible with Tapatalk I’ll just go ahead and delete that app.

It looks good. Nice work fellas. This will be a good place to bask in our super bowl victory in a few months.
UOK
Site Admin

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:
I know we talked about it in another thread, but if it’s not going to be compatible with Tapatalk I’ll just go ahead and delete that app.

It looks good. Nice work fellas. This will be a good place to bask in our super bowl victory in a few months.
Tapatalk is no longer supported, so you're alright to uninstall that stuff.
Xee
Site Admin

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:

Tapatalk was meant as a bandaid for the fact that our previous style was not mobile friendly at all. This is no the case with the current one as it should be optimized for all devices. I haven't used Tapatalk for years though so just wondering, coming from that app, how do you find the experience using the forum on your phone?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:18 pm

I have an iPhone. It works pretty well except for hovering over the post to quote it. I can’t figure out how to get it to do that.

One other question... for tweets do we put url tags around them or no?
UOK
Site Admin

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:39 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:18 pm
One other question... for tweets do we put url tags around them or no?
Nope, just paste the url to the tweet.

Example:

Code: Select all

https://twitter.com/BN_Bears/status/1158446961776893952

Return to “Halas Hall”