UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Just heard that. Very sad.

RIP Cedric Benson
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Its always bad when a current or former Bear dies. Just horrible that it was so sudden like that.

His Bears "career" was what it was, but more importantly he's a human being. Hopefully he wasn't one of those crotch rocketeer assholes who acted like the road was his own personal race track. Often times what happens is that somebody pulls out in front of them, the bike is doing Mach 10 and they can't stop in time. Admittedly I have a cynical attitude about people who ride those bikes and some of the hypocrisy that surrounds riders.

Hopefully he's watching down on the Bears every Sunday. God Bless.
GSH
MVP

thats no age to go. People are being very quick to point out that he did have a few DUI's on his record from recent years, what a tragic waste if this turns out to be more than a freak accident that couldnt have been avoided.
Xee
Site Admin

Man, that's horrible. I read some articles that say a woman was with him and she didn't survive either. Such a shame, dude was only 36.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/18/cedric-b ... cle-crash/

More details, none of them good:

Ex-NFL running back Cedric Benson -- the #4 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft -- was killed in a motorcycle crash in Austin, Texas late Saturday night. He was only 36.

Benson -- who was a superstar at the University of Texas from 2001 to 2004 -- was reportedly driving his bike with a passenger when they got into an accident with another vehicle (a minivan) around 10 PM.

Cops say the minivan caught fire -- cops also say speed and poor visibility were factors in the crash. Cops also say the driver of the minivan will most likely not be charged with a crime.

The passenger -- who has not yet been identified -- was also killed in the wreck. Two other adults were injured. Officials are investigating the accident. Unclear what specifically caused the crash.

Hours before the crash, Benson posted a photo of his motorcycle on social media with the caption, "My Saturday evening."

Benson was an incredible athlete -- he racked up more than 5,500 yards at Texas and won the Doak Walker Award (top running back in the country) his senior year.

He signed a rookie deal with the Bears -- 5 years, $35 mil -- and was a key part of Chicago's 2006 NFC Championship team.

Benson later played for the Cincinnati Bengals and Green Bay Packers before retiring in 2012.

Benson had several off the field problems after his career -- he was arrested for drunk driving in 2017 and 2018.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's too bad. 36 is too young to go.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Man... This is a damn shame. RIP Cedric.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Terrible news.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Wow, this brings up a lot of stuff for me. I'm sure that in the 7 or so years I've been a member of this board I brought up that my son was killed in a motorcycle accident in 2008.
I was pretty big on Benson when the bears drafted him, and I cheered for him, and I cheered for him when he screwed up, and I cheered for him as a person.
Sadder yet, the young lady on the back of that motorcycle also died. And two people in a van are lucky to be alive, and their lives are forever changed
My prayers are with all of them and their families.
G08
Hall of Famer

Heard some more details today in the city... reports are that he was driving at a high speed and a bystander tried to, um, use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire that engulfed his body. Just awful.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Wounded Bear
MVP

Yeah, according to the TMZ article, he had 42 nanograms/ml....which means he probably smoked 7 days prior (or at least several days prior) to the accident. It also means he wasn't high on THC, it was just still in his system.

Nice work TMZ. Shitty reporting as always.

http://www.crimelynx.com/martest.html
You can use mathematics to show that the claimed "18-24 hours" half-life (clearance rate) cannot possibly be accurate, viz: It is reported in the Journal of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences that u/a of a person who smoked a 2.7% THC cigarette showed a 2,700 ng/mL metabolite quantity. When you "half" this number day-after-day, you get the following sequence of nanograms:

day 1 = 2,700 ng,
day 2 = 1, 350 ng
day 3 = 675 ng
day 4 = 338 ng
day 5 = 169 ng
day 6 = 84 ng
day 7 = 42 ng
day 8 = 21 ng
day 9 = 11 ng
day 12 = 5 ng
day 13 = 2.6 ng
day 14 = 1.3 ng
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
UOK
Site Admin

Anyone looking to make a story out of a .02 BAC and the faintest hint of THC in his system is looking to manufacture clicks and nothing more.

This was a tragic accident, and that's all.