Bears open up more cap space via Leno contract

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

Agreed, dude. Ugh.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 am I always thought he needed a much better nickname, because I don't want to cheer for a Biscuit.
Thank god! I thought I was the only one! Terrible nickname!
BR0D1E86
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:56 pm
wab wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:40 pm The offensive line was awful tonight. Awful.
They looked like they weren't ready to play.
Were talking on this board about Bisky's new contract eating up $...not with this production.
There are free agents every offseason who don’t cost much and could be that terrible.
wab
Mod

I Trubisky is fighting Tyler Bray for a job by the end of the season, we'll be looking at a new front office and new coaching staff after 2020. I don't know if my fandom can weather another reboot.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:25 am
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:56 pm

They looked like they weren't ready to play.
Were talking on this board about Bisky's new contract eating up $...not with this production.
There are free agents every offseason who don’t cost much and could be that terrible.
OK seriously now we want to shit can Biscuit and get somebody off the scrap heap?

I’m done talking about this game in the same way I’m done talking about the fucking kicker. Bring on the Broncos. Bear Down.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 pm

OK seriously now we want to shit can Biscuit and get somebody off the scrap heap?

I’m done talking about this game in the same way I’m done talking about the fucking kicker. Bring on the Broncos. Bear Down.
He was off last night so he's clearly terrible. I'm sure Packers fans are saying the same thing about their QB, who was equally bad last night.
BR0D1E86
MVP

No. But he also was not good for the majority of last season. Whether or not we make a serious effort to resign him if this continues should be a serious discussion. This offense is absolutely loaded with talented, productive players at all levels. Yet it was well below league average last year and it’s off to a less than impressive start this year.

We’re getting close to extension time for him, and without some real tangible growth in his game, which he’s never shown, he’s going to be looking at 30-35 million a season and he’s simply not worth it.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm I Trubisky is fighting Tyler Bray for a job by the end of the season, we'll be looking at a new front office and new coaching staff after 2020. I don't know if my fandom can weather another reboot.
Yup. This.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:42 pm
wab wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm I Trubisky is fighting Tyler Bray for a job by the end of the season, we'll be looking at a new front office and new coaching staff after 2020. I don't know if my fandom can weather another reboot.
Yup. This.
Indeed. I would definitely begin to reduce my fandom interest to passive, and honestly may bail on following the NFL for a few years if they hit bottom again.
G08
Hall of Famer

I do want to add that numerous coaches versed in the West Coast Offense have said it takes at least 3 years to master, and really it's closer to 5. Alex Smith would be a good comp... he didn't really explode in this offense until his 5th year.

I'm not saying that we should expect to wait that long, nor that we shouldn't demand performance now... but the timing is important to keep in mind.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
jamus34
Journeyman

BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:30 pm

No. But he also was not good for the majority of last season. Whether or not we make a serious effort to resign him if this continues should be a serious discussion. This offense is absolutely loaded with talented, productive players at all levels. Yet it was well below league average last year and it’s off to a less than impressive start this year.

We’re getting close to extension time for him, and without some real tangible growth in his game, which he’s never shown, he’s going to be looking at 30-35 million a season and he’s simply not worth it.
So you don't pay and let someone else pay.

I'm hoping our FO is smart enough at this point to know that we can't overpay for average. That said I hope they know from sins of their (fore)fathers that not having a plan B and really a plan C too will end in pink slips.
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:17 pm I do want to add that numerous coaches versed in the West Coast Offense have said it takes at least 3 years to master, and really it's closer to 5. Alex Smith would be a good comp... he didn't really explode in this offense until his 5th year.

I'm not saying that we should expect to wait that long, nor that we shouldn't demand performance now... but the timing is important to keep in mind.
There’s mastery, and there’s basic NFL competence. Last night we didn’t even see the latter.
G08
Hall of Famer

@@BR0D1E86 26/45 (57.8%) 228 yards 0 TD and 1 INT isn't good at all, but I'd say it showed some semblance of competence. He made some impressive throws and some bone-headed ones. The drop by Gabriel was a freaking dime and he should have had a TD to Davis but got hit during his release.

BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:54 pm @@BR0D1E86 26/45 (57.8%) 228 yards 0 TD and 1 INT isn't good at all, but I'd say it showed some semblance of competence. He made some impressive throws and some bone-headed ones. The drop by Gabriel was a freaking dime and he should have had a TD to Davis but got hit during his release.
I’d argue it’s on the low end of competence. Regardless, it was woefully insufficient.

I know, it’s one game. But we all knew he crumbled if you took away his first read last season. This looks like a continuation of those bad trends without observable growth. It’s real, real disturbing.
G08
Hall of Famer

They threw a ton of different looks at him and the protection was fucking confused all game long. We weren't prepared -- or -- we were simply out schemed by Pettine. Gotta improve.

malk
Head Coach

I'm clinging onto the hope that he's got a massively expanded playbook to cope with and, combined with the lack of pre season games, he was overthinking the game and got a bit gun shy. He's clearly a much better player when he doesn't need to think and instead just reads.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:57 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Yup. This.
Indeed. I would definitely begin to reduce my fandom interest to passive, and honestly may bail on following the NFL for a few years if they hit bottom again.
It's 2003 and my best friend's younger sister is getting married on the same day the Oakland Raiders play the Bears and the Cubs play the Braves in the NLCS which is obviously a Sunday. The ceremony started at 2pm with the reception a couple hours later. He had been my best friend and I was practically in their family for over a decade.

I sat in the back of the church away from the bride's family and mine with headphones on listening to the game during the mass. That's how I roll.

That is but one story. Whenever we play on Thanksgiving I'm in the living room by myself with the game on eating. My wife has more manners than I do. She waits until after she eats and then joins me. Then its the two of us watching the game because I don't have what I consider sports fans on either side of the family. Oh we have those casual bandwagon fair weathered Blackhawk fan types who feign concern over "Kaner" and "Sharpie" but they don't have the slightest idea who Belfour and Roenick are.

The list goes on and on. I've missed or been severely late to funerals, christenings, countless birthday parties and assorted other backyard functions. They got the gift card from me or the kids in the family know I'll hunt down the rare toy or whatever until my fingers bleed so in exchange for that at least let me watch the damn game.

I quit the Bulls and Cubs (didn't even consider going back after the World Series although I adore Schwarber from afar) and have never looked back or missed it even slightly.

For whatever reason though with the Bears I'm marching on the gates of hell and kicking in the door and it all goes back to Walter Payton being one of my childhood heroes and the time I met Mike Ditka when I was a little taller than a coffee table.