Wk 1 // CHICAGO BEARS vs GREEN BAY PACKERS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BR0D1E86
MVP

See, I think we’ve seen if Trubisky is a franchise quarterback. I think that door is closed. Nagy needs to scheme him to competency and stop running his offense like he has a quarterback who can read a defense and make an accurate, on time throw. He doesn’t.

He needs to lean on the running game, and do a lot of play action with rollouts to take advantage of Trubisky’s running ability and to take away half the field from him. It is what it is, Nagy 201 or whatever the hell it is is a joke. This needs to be like middle school Nagy given the guy pulling the trigger’s obvious deficiencies.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 am Mitch never seemed to come off of his first read
Never has, probably never will. Has zero ability to do a progression of his targets. First read or bust.
I don’t know if that’s true. He had some games last year where he went through a couple of reads. I mean if he truly is a first read QB, and that’s all he’s capable of processing, then we might as well cut bait now and trade for a mediocre QB. But I think he can be better. Not great, but maybe Andy Dalton good.
G08
Hall of Famer

THIRD AND 40!!!

Who has EVER seen that before!?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:54 am
That’s the play where Trubisky called the line to move left “Larry” and Long completely missed it and went right. That was all on Long.
Funkster
MVP

One other thought I forgot to mention, did anyone else notice how quick Eddie P. was ready to go out and kick that 51 yarder, only to be told come back we’re going for it. I believe this kid has the right mindset to be the bears kicker, he wants to be in the big moments. I wish Nagy would’ve let him attempt that kick.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:34 am One other thought I forgot to mention, did anyone else notice how quick Eddie P. was ready to go out and kick that 51 yarder, only to be told come back we’re going for it. I believe this kid has the right mindset to be the bears kicker, he wants to be in the big moments. I wish Nagy would’ve let him attempt that kick.
I saw that too... I love that kid. Just wants to bust his ass and prove his worth; how do you not respect that?

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Watching the Bears go for it on 4th and 10 when we were in FG range broke something inside of me. A game where we couldn't get anything going on offense.... 3 points in an hour?!?! And you go for it? I actually felt bad for forcing Bears fandom upon my 13 year old. Mom's a Packer fan and he could at least enjoy watching the sport of football instead of getting nut punched year after year.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am Watching the Bears go for it on 4th and 10 when we were in FG range broke something inside of me. A game where we couldn't get anything going on offense.... 3 points in an hour?!?! And you go for it? I actually felt bad for forcing Bears fandom upon my 13 year old. Mom's a Packer fan and he could at least enjoy watching the sport of football instead of getting nut punched year after year.
Oof. I know that pain buddy. I had the same thought yesterday from when I was young and a family friend's dad was trying to tell me to adopt the Packers as my team. I didn't do it -- couldn't do it -- but moments like yesterday give me pause and wonder what the fuck I was thinking.

Good thing I'm loyal to a fault, I guess.

G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Millers lack of playing time surprised me.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Watching Nagy's press conference left me impressed. He took ownership for the mistakes, and actually explained some things. Unlike previous Bears coaches from the past. Hopefully, him and the offense learns and moves on from here.
wab
Mod

If the Bears continue to look like this over the next few games, I'll worry. As big of a letdown as last night was, there are still a lot of games left.

Every year when the Bears lose for the first time I always wonder if people expected this team to go 16-0.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I respectfully and sincerely request that a moderator create a thread for the Broncos game next week. I’m happy to do it, but isn’t there a protocol with these things? IDK. Thank you.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 amEvery year when the Bears lose for the first time I always wonder if people expected this team to go 16-0.
Honestly, I did. I guess I'll have to settle for 15-1.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:09 pm I respectfully and sincerely request that a moderator create a thread for the Broncos game next week. I’m happy to do it, but isn’t there a protocol with these things? IDK. Thank you.
I'll have a thread up soon.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 am THIRD AND 40!!!

I believe in a playoff game years ago between Philly and Goon Bay the Eagles converted on a 3rd down close to that ... then went on to win the game
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 am
wab wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:20 am Remember that time the Pats lost to the Bills in the first game of the season on a Ty Law interception and then didn’t lose a game for like the next 18 months.
And I remember 12 months ago when the Bears lost to the packers on opening night then dominated the rest of the regular season.

Nothing’s over. But damn it if that wasn’t discouraging.
Yeah, last year though - the offense came out on the first drive and scored a TD - looked crisp. There were signs of some productivity. Also, last season the Bears offense was expected to struggle a bit because it was a 1st year HC in his 1st game.

This year, with all the pieces added in the offseason, the optimism of Trubisky going into his 2nd year in the system - we hear that he's confident, knows where to go with the ball, playing within the offense. The hype was real. There's really no excuse for how they played last night. No, the season isn't over but if they don't figure this out quickly - it can spiral downward real quick.

This year the Bears are the hunted, defensive coordinators have had a full offseason to digest Nagy's tendencies and GB looked like they knew what Nagy was going to do and baited him. If Nagy is a good HC, he will adjust and make the necessary changes and have more balance in the offense.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Boris13c wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:18 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 am THIRD AND 40!!!

I believe in a playoff game years ago between Philly and Goon Bay the Eagles converted on a 3rd down close to that ... then went on to win the game
I think that was 4th and 26 with McNabb firing it off to Freddie Mitchell?
Never Die Easy
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am Watching the Bears go for it on 4th and 10 when we were in FG range broke something inside of me. A game where we couldn't get anything going on offense.... 3 points in an hour?!?! And you go for it? I actually felt bad for forcing Bears fandom upon my 13 year old. Mom's a Packer fan and he could at least enjoy watching the sport of football instead of getting nut punched year after year.
I'm the black sheep of the family. Everyone else is a Packers fan being originally from Wisconsin. But I grew up playing and watching in the 80s hard not to fall in love with that group of characters. Loyal to a fault.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:47 am
That's interesting

Isn't playing a lot more of Cohen and not much of the other TEs what Nagy tried to do last time Burton was unavailable?
And didn't it turn out the same way?

You can't burn 4 roster spots on TE and only have 1 guy who can play
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:39 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:47 am
That's interesting

Isn't playing a lot more of Cohen and not much of the other TEs what Nagy tried to do last time Burton was unavailable?
And didn't it turn out the same way?

You can't burn 4 roster spots on TE and only have 1 guy who can play
The lay-up evaluation of the past two Bears games would lead one to think that this offense revolves around Tre Burton. I don't think that's the case, necessarily, but man we really looked like shit last night and not much better against the Eagles in last year's postseason.

jamus34
Journeyman

This and the HB dive with Cordell freaking Patterson on 3rd and short have me putting the loss squarely on Nagy's shoulders.

Yeah, MItch wasn't good yesterday, however the playcalling was ATROCIOUS and it was obvious that the timing is off due to lack of game speed practice.

Say what we you will about preseason however there is a reason that most teams play starters the third game, if for anything to get the jitters out and knock the rust off.

We decided to do this when the games count. :frustrated:
BR0D1E86
MVP

I also don’t want to gloss over choosing to go for it on 4th and 10 with an offense struggling to do anything vs trying to make it a 1 point game with your strong-legged kicker from 50. That was idiotic, on a night full of idiotic coaching on offense.
Xee
Site Admin

jamus34 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:50 pm
This and the HB dive with Cordell freaking Patterson on 3rd and short have me putting the loss squarely on Nagy's shoulders.

Yeah, MItch wasn't good yesterday, however the playcalling was ATROCIOUS and it was obvious that the timing is off due to lack of game speed practice.

Say what we you will about preseason however there is a reason that most teams play starters the third game, if for anything to get the jitters out and knock the rust off.

What bugs me is how we've been spoonfed the entire offseason to the point that they come off as cocky how much Mitch has progressed, how much more of the playbook he's able to handle, how we're moving on to "Phase 2" now where Mitch will release the kraken, how going up against arguably the best defense in the league each practice has honed him to a fine-edged weapon better than any preseason game could . . . and then we put up 3 points.

Before @wab shows up booing me for being pessimistic, I will concede this game could be a fluke, and that we just needed to warm up, but it doesn't make bearing this loss any easier given the rainbows that were blown up our you-know-whats. I guess it was just me being too gullible.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:13 am
UOK wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am

Never has, probably never will. Has zero ability to do a progression of his targets. First read or bust.
I don’t know if that’s true. He had some games last year where he went through a couple of reads. I mean if he truly is a first read QB, and that’s all he’s capable of processing, then we might as well cut bait now and trade for a mediocre QB. But I think he can be better. Not great, but maybe Andy Dalton good.
So two years and one game on from selecting a QB 2nd overall (after trading up one spot to make sure we got him) and we're hoping he's going to be as good as Andy Dalton?! Meanwhile the next QB taken is the reigning league MVP and the one after that has posted back-to-back passer ratings over 103 despite playing behind a terrible offensive line. How depressing is that?

We accepted Trubisky would be a year behind other QBs taken at the top of the draft because of his lack of college starting experience. We recognised that he found himself in a dire situation as a rookie, where he was clearly supposed to get to sit for a year but was thrown into an awful offense with no preparation, a beat up interior line and a complete dearth of quality receivers. We knew it would take time for him to learn a completely new offense in his second year and build a rapport with an overhauled and upgraded receiving corps.

This is the year where he has to show he belongs in the same bracket as the other top young QBs selected in recent years, not that he's going to hit his ceiling, but simply that he belongs. We can't keep talking about next year. All the pieces are in place. This has to be the year when the light comes on or the talent on this team is going to go to waste. There was nothing in this game to suggest that he is remotely close. Now it's just one game, but instead of showing signs of progress this offense and this QB looked like they've regressed. It's not what any of us expected.

Can Trubisky turn things around? Does he have that in him? I'd love to believe he has, but he's now played 28 NFL games and I have yet to see anything from him to suggest that he has that 'it' factor. Sure he's had some decent games, but so have many journeymen QBs during their careers. I can't recall a single game where Trubisky managed to pull off a win at the death when the pressure was on and the opportunity was there. Every time the Bears have come up short. Now we can point to it not all being his fault. Parkey makes a couple of FGs last year and the narrative may be different. But there's the old adage: It's better to be lucky than good. Trubisky seems to be neither.

I hope so much that he proves me wrong, but my faith that he will is at rock bottom right now.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The playoff game was Trubisky's it game for me. chips were down on the biggest stage and he takes them straight down the field. Until well, we all know how that ended.

I hate to quote the gay boy from the Pack, be everyone needs to relax.

Yesterday was a product of the entire offense not being ready and personally I believe it was because they hadn't played. Timing was off on everything, not just Mitch.
Xee
Site Admin

Thought this was an interesting breakdown of Trubisky that made me a bit more optimistic for his chances of turning things around and progressing:

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:08 pm
jamus34 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:50 pm

What bugs me is how we've been spoonfed the entire offseason to the point that they come off as cocky how much Mitch has progressed, how much more of the playbook he's able to handle, how we're moving on to "Phase 2" now where Mitch will release the kraken, how going up against arguably the best defense in the league each practice has honed him to a fine-edged weapon better than any preseason game could . . . and then we put up 3 points.

Before @wab shows up booing me for being pessimistic, I will concede this game could be a fluke, and that we just needed to warm up, but it doesn't make bearing this loss any easier given the rainbows that were blown up our you-know-whats. I guess it was just me being too gullible.
Dan Bernstein said something very accurate on Friday.

Nagy destroyed a lot of trust he had built up over the last year.
He sold the Chicago media and the fans a bill of goods, that on the surface, appears to be fraudulent. He over hyped the effectiveness of the product, we bought it, and it wasn’t what he said it was. Now, he can fix it, and we will forgive him. But he better fix what he sold us. Because it’s broken right now.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm
Xee wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Dan Bernstein said something very accurate on Friday.

Nagy destroyed a lot of trust he had built up over the last year.
He sold the Chicago media and the fans a bill of goods, that on the surface, appears to be fraudulent. He over hyped the effectiveness of the product, we bought it, and it wasn’t what he said it was. Now, he can fix it, and we will forgive him. But he better fix what he sold us. Because it’s broken right now.
That was how I felt after the game.

And for the moment...
Packers 1-0
Vikings 1-0
Lions 0-0-1
Bears 0-1

Last place in the division. Again.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.