Wk 1 // CHICAGO BEARS vs GREEN BAY PACKERS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm
Dan Bernstein said something very accurate on Friday.

Nagy destroyed a lot of trust he had built up over the last year.
He sold the Chicago media and the fans a bill of goods, that on the surface, appears to be fraudulent. He over hyped the effectiveness of the product, we bought it, and it wasn’t what he said it was. Now, he can fix it, and we will forgive him. But he better fix what he sold us. Because it’s broken right now.
Yep!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

jamus34 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:50 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am Watching the Bears go for it on 4th and 10 when we were in FG range broke something inside of me. A game where we couldn't get anything going on offense.... 3 points in an hour?!?! And you go for it? I actually felt bad for forcing Bears fandom upon my 13 year old. Mom's a Packer fan and he could at least enjoy watching the sport of football instead of getting nut punched year after year.
This and the HB dive with Cordell freaking Patterson on 3rd and short have me putting the loss squarely on Nagy's shoulders.

Yeah, MItch wasn't good yesterday, however the playcalling was ATROCIOUS and it was obvious that the timing is off due to lack of game speed practice.

Say what we you will about preseason however there is a reason that most teams play starters the third game, if for anything to get the jitters out and knock the rust off.

We decided to do this when the games count. :frustrated:
I think the biggest problem with the game was Nagy too, but why do people keep bringing up the Patterson run? That one was squarely on the line who were beat immediately upon the snap. Rushing up to the line on 3rd and inches only to line up in the shot gun and try a pass to Shaheen was a far worse call than that one.
IE
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:27 am
I think the biggest problem with the game was Nagy too, but why do people keep bringing up the Patterson run? That one was squarely on the line who were beat immediately upon the snap. Rushing up to the line on 3rd and inches only to line up in the shot gun and try a pass to Shaheen was a far worse call than that one.
For me, I think that one stands out because of who was selected to run it... the tackle-breaking rookie on the sideline, or the boom or bust gadget player. If there is risk of a defender being quickly in the backfield, I'd rather have the guy who will gut it for an extra yard than the other guy. But that might just be me. I thought it was too cute.

Maybe Nagy needs to trust Montgomery and Piniero a little more, and trust himself a little less.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:27 am
For me, I think that one stands out because of who was selected to run it... the tackle-breaking rookie on the sideline, or the boom or bust gadget player. If there is risk of a defender being quickly in the backfield, I'd rather have the guy who will gut it for an extra yard than the other guy. But that might just be me. I thought it was too cute.

Maybe Nagy needs to trust Montgomery and Piniero a little more, and trust himself a little less.
I don't disagree with the thought process, I guess I am just confused as to why that was the play i've seen alot talk about when imo their were much worse play calls. I feel like we could have had Walter back and he would have got stuffed for a loss on that play due to the poor blocking. I'm personally still steaming about the 3rd and inches pass and will be for some time i think. Just pull a Brady sneak!!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I only watch the game one time, and night games involve me getting my daughter ready for bed during the 1st half so I miss things. I definitely got the feeling Mitch had a few opportunities to take off running and instead tried to squeeze the ball into tight windows or throw across his body down field. Was is just my imagination? I felt a big reason our offense did well last season was Mitch would set the tone early many games with a nice scramble and it would open things up. Thursday it felt to me like he was hesitant to do this. Anyone else get that impression?
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

After watching this I'm not as mad at Mitch anymore. I enjoy the breakdown he did.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:08 pm

What bugs me is how we've been spoonfed the entire offseason to the point that they come off as cocky how much Mitch has progressed, how much more of the playbook he's able to handle, how we're moving on to "Phase 2" now where Mitch will release the kraken, how going up against arguably the best defense in the league each practice has honed him to a fine-edged weapon better than any preseason game could . . . and then we put up 3 points.

Before @wab shows up booing me for being pessimistic, I will concede this game could be a fluke, and that we just needed to warm up, but it doesn't make bearing this loss any easier given the rainbows that were blown up our you-know-whats. I guess it was just me being too gullible.

He sold the Chicago media and the fans a bill of goods, that on the surface, appears to be fraudulent. He over hyped the effectiveness of the product, we bought it, and it wasn’t what he said it was. Now, he can fix it, and we will forgive him. But he better fix what he sold us. Because it’s broken right now.
How many commercial breaks occurred while Bernstein was saying that? LOL, I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

One of the reasons why I stopped listening to sports radio, other than the nonstop commercials, is that everything needs to be a hot take and everything is just one massive extreme or another.

Are we really at the point where one game just "destroyed" trust?
G08
Hall of Famer

We were out-coached. The line played like shit, Nagy's calls didn't help, and our execution was dog shit.

Throw it in the trash and move on to next week. I'm not as worried as I was right after the game but I am nervous to see if/how Nagy adjusts.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I still go back to most of the issues in this game were timing and reps based all around. Things that get worked out if you actually play a little in the preseason.

I don't get the whole "you could get injured bullshit" because they just threw away a game when there is only 16 of them. Guys could get injured at home, walking the dog, or on non-contact plays too.
Xee
Site Admin

bearsfaninaz wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm After watching this I'm not as mad at Mitch anymore. I enjoy the breakdown he did.

Loved this, thanks for posting. Wish he would have commented on Trubisky going through his reads or staring down his receivers just to give some perspective on that as well.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm After watching this I'm not as mad at Mitch anymore. I enjoy the breakdown he did.

I absolutely hate that guy. Usually his analysis is thin and rudimentary. However he is right about the OL. The Bears offense as a whole did not help their QB last Thursday.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:34 pm

I absolutely hate that guy. Usually his analysis is thin and rudimentary. However he is right about the OL. The Bears offense as a whole did not help their QB last Thursday.
I hate him too and he talks out of his ass SO FUCKING MUCH but, I won't lie, I do like the All-22 cut ups that are there. I just watch it on mute :lol:

Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 pm I still go back to most of the issues in this game were timing and reps based all around. Things that get worked out if you actually play a little in the preseason.

I don't get the whole "you could get injured bullshit" because they just threw away a game when there is only 16 of them. Guys could get injured at home, walking the dog, or on non-contact plays too.
Yeah, but couldn't it also be worked out in practice and joint practices? They get far more reps there than in pre-season games.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 pm I still go back to most of the issues in this game were timing and reps based all around. Things that get worked out if you actually play a little in the preseason.

Yeah, but couldn't it also be worked out in practice and joint practices? They get far more reps there than in pre-season games.
That, and in our case, the offense gets to practice against the best defense in the league. That's what surprises me about the offensive line. If they had problems against GB, what exactly did Hicks, Goldman and Nichols do to them in practice?
G08
Hall of Famer

Wannestedt was on the radio the other day and said even though you are getting reps in practice, you're going against "your guy" and you might see some "brotherly love" there. He said Harry Hiestand offensive lines punch you in the mouth, so not seeing that week 1 against Green Bay made him wonder if the lack of pre-season reps impacted the line.

Regardless... this boiled down to Pettine eating Nagy's lunch. He embarrassed our offense, from sniffing out plays to detonating our protection scheme. It was pathetic.

IE
Hall of Famer

I bet if a team did nothing but run pass plays for an entire game, a video analysis could be produced later showing all the ways the Oline didn't perform well on this play and this play and this play... but it misses the point. Criticizing something that should never have "been" in the first place is useless.
wab
Mod

Mitch threw 45 times. Mahomes threw 40. Watson threw like 30.

Hell, Rodgers threw 30 passes. Brady threw 40.

The Bears are going to pass the ball. This isn't new. He threw like 450 passes last year and averaged over 30 passes per game. The line handled it perfectly fine last season.

They were bad on Thursday. There's nothing wrong with saying that.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm Mitch threw 45 times. Mahomes threw 40. Watson threw like 30.

Hell, Rodgers threw 30 passes. Brady threw 40.

The Bears are going to pass the ball. This isn't new. He threw like 450 passes last year and averaged over 30 passes per game. The line handled it perfectly fine last season.

They were bad on Thursday. There's nothing wrong with saying that.
Mahomes threw 33 times, butthe chiefs also rushed 25 times.
Compare that to Mitch throwing 45 times and the Bears rushing 15.
I think that paints a better picture of what people are upset about.

I don't think anyone is saying don't pass the ball, but that kind of ratio in a 4-point game is f****** ridiculous.

They were bad on Thursday. And I expect them to be better on Sunday. but in Denver, that ratio needs to change or we might as well not even bother playing defense in the fourth quarter.
Middleguard
MVP

I thought for awhile that UOK's prediction would come true, that the Bears would score in the final seconds then blow it by going going for the 2-point win and failing. But the Bears were too inept to even fail properly.

This is what I'd like to know. Instead of constantly calling the 'throw to the receiver who will catch it out-of-bounds' play, why doesn't Nagy borrow from the Packer's and call their 'throw to the receiver who's wide open over the middle' play?

Here are the accuracy ratings of your week 1 score predictions:
312 Bearfanuk
392 skamanfrank
434 Bad Flanders
446 Otis Day
494 Rakshir
494 wab
504 dickbutkus97
602 mohner1
632 UOK
662 Mikefive
662 Middleguard
686 GSH
698 malk
774 Z Bear
806 BearButtseks
872 britbear
914 Funkster
936 Mr.Irrelevant
1026 Bears Whiskey Nut
1064 MoFugger
1152 G08
1304 Ormazd
1418 tjs
1478 Atkins&Rebel
1586 The Marshall Plan
1706 HurricaneBear
1766 VA_Mountain_Bear
1806 AZ_Bearfan
2178 Magpie1985
2762 WagonForce
The following predictions were duplicates of predictions posted earlier (get your predictions in early). They will still count in your overall scores. Note that Rakshir and wab were able to tie. That is because they had different predictions that scored the same.
446 Xee
662 IE
774 mmmc_35
872 cblaz11
914 Umbali
1152 southdakbearfan
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm

One of the reasons why I stopped listening to sports radio, other than the nonstop commercials, is that everything needs to be a hot take and everything is just one massive extreme or another.
Yup. I used to work in sports radio and I would rant about it all of the time. I began to hate sports talk (on TV too) a while back. Everything is about creating a headline or a splash now. It all comes from this click-bait headline reading culture where the best thing you can do for your career is get a topic or a tweet trending.

It all started with the Stephen A. Smith's of the world. I don't even hate him or Skip Bayless. Those guys are great at their jobs and will keep doing it so long as we ask for it. Those guys do not believe hardly ANYTHING they say. They intentionally run to the most extreme or whacky conclusion. Even if they DO believe it - they drown their point in absurd hyperbole. Then they yell about it and bang... it's viral.

Idiots responding "Oh my god! Skip Bayless is such an idiot! This is crazy! How does he have a job?"... This IS his job, you numb nuts! To get you to react and you fell right into the trap. Congrats on being a part of the lowest common denominator.

Bernstein has been doing this FOREVER. EVERYTHING with that guy is always "an outrage". Everybody is "sooo stupid" and he's a genius. The hyperbole is exhausting.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Yup. I used to work in sports radio and I would rant about it all of the time. I began to hate sports talk (on TV too) a while back. Everything is about creating a headline or a splash now. It all comes from this click-bait headline reading culture where the best thing you can do for your career is get a topic or a tweet trending.

It all started with the Stephen A. Smith's of the world. I don't even hate him or Skip Bayless. Those guys are great at their jobs and will keep doing it so long as we ask for it. Those guys do not believe hardly ANYTHING they say. They intentionally run to the most extreme or whacky conclusion. Even if they DO believe it - they drown their point in absurd hyperbole. Then they yell about it and bang... it's viral.

Idiots responding "Oh my god! Skip Bayless is such an idiot! This is crazy! How does he have a job?"... This IS his job, you numb nuts! To get you to react and you fell right into the trap. Congrats on being a part of the lowest common denominator.

Bernstein has been doing this FOREVER. EVERYTHING with that guy is always "an outrage". Everybody is "sooo stupid" and he's a genius. The hyperbole is exhausting.
You hit the nail on the head.

I used to listen to Boers & Bernstein and eventually I just couldn't handle it anymore. I used to always wonder if those guys really believed what they are saying. Then I would try to imagine living a lifestyle where I am perpetually offended and/or outraged by everything and it would have to be exhausting.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm I thought for awhile that UOK's prediction would come true, that the Bears would score in the final seconds then blow it by going going for the 2-point win and failing. But the Bears were too inept to even fail properly.

This is what I'd like to know. Instead of constantly calling the 'throw to the receiver who will catch it out-of-bounds' play, why doesn't Nagy borrow from the Packer's and call their 'throw to the receiver who's wide open over the middle' play?

Here are the accuracy ratings of your week 1 score predictions:
312 Bearfanuk
392 skamanfrank
434 Bad Flanders
446 Otis Day
494 Rakshir
494 wab
504 dickbutkus97
602 mohner1
632 UOK
662 Mikefive
662 Middleguard
686 GSH
698 malk
774 Z Bear
806 BearButtseks
872 britbear
914 Funkster
936 Mr.Irrelevant
1026 Bears Whiskey Nut
1064 MoFugger
1152 G08
1304 Ormazd
1418 tjs
1478 Atkins&Rebel
1586 The Marshall Plan
1706 HurricaneBe
1766 VA_Mountain_Bear
1806 AZ_Bearfan
2178 Magpie1985
2762 WagonForce
The following predictions were duplicates of predictions posted earlier (get your predictions in early). They will still count in your overall scores. Note that Rakshir and wab were able to tie. That is because they had different predictions that scored the same.
446 Xee
662 IE
774 mmmc_35
872 cblaz11
914 Umbali
1152 southdakbearfan
As horrible as all of this was. And as far off as we all were.

G08 --

G08
Hall of Famer

@Bears Whiskey Nut Mother Fu...

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's Robert Schmitz's "what went wrong" video review of the Packers game. I think it's pretty good from start to finish and I am inclined to agree with his judgements.

I've started the video at the point of the cross body throw that should've been intercepted. Everyone keeps saying that Patterson wasn't open on that play. I patently disagree. He had a step on the defender and Mitch should've thrown him open over the outside shoulder. Instead, and likely due to the cross body throwing motion, he simply executed poorly. One might counter that maybe it was a stop route and he never would've gotten to the ball thrown that way. Possibly so. But an over the outside shoulder throw would've put it in a place where your guy could get there and the defender can't so nothing bad can happen, unlike the near disaster it was.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:51 pm We were out-coached. The line played like shit, Nagy's calls didn't help, and our execution was dog shit.

Throw it in the trash and move on to next week. I'm not as worried as I was right after the game but I am nervous to see if/how Nagy adjusts.
This is where I am too. How the team can plays in Denver will be crucial, literally to the rest of the season.

My concern for Mitch is still very real though.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Brett Kollmann's review of Bears-Packers. Paging the Biscuit haters. Ouch.

I was pleased to see that he kinda validated the point I referred to in my earlier post on the early, near interception throw to Patterson. But otherwise, you may need to see your therapist and get some nice meds after watching that. And I'm not being critical of BK. He's just calling it like it is. Watch it. Just don't jump off a bridge afterward.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 am Brett Kollmann's review of Bears-Packers. Paging the Biscuit haters. Ouch.

I was pleased to see that he kinda validated the point I referred to in my earlier post on the early, near interception throw to Patterson. But otherwise, you may need to see your therapist and get some nice meds after watching that. And I'm not being critical of BK. He's just calling it like it is. Watch it. Just don't jump off a bridge afterward.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13707
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My bad. I went to youtube this morning, found it and had to post it.