Wk 2 // CHICAGO BEARS vs DENVER BRONCOS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

ramentaschen wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:11 pm
UOK wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:02 pm The Mitch roughing was a blatant makeup call for Goldman’s roughing. Those are flags that simply should never be thrown. Fuller was never down by contact either, IMHO, so that was also very questionable.

Lotta Denver fans pissed that the outcome was bent by officiating, and I don’t blame them, but in the end all they had to do was stop a shaken QB who has been having an awful season from throwing downfield. They didn’t. Then they had to stop a sorta-rookie kicker from hitting from 54 on the road in one of the hardest places to win in the league. They didn’t.

A win is a win. I’ll gladly take it. The offense, however, is far too talented to be playing at such a low level, and our franchise QB and Head Coach are entirely responsible for the regression. It’s time for some confidence and swagger from a group that hasn’t shown they’re having any fun so far this year. Execute already and stop being such an indecisive bitch. That goes out to Nagy and Trubisky.

While I’m at it, fuck Mike Davis. Just because.
Amen, brother. Preach it.

Also, f**k that official that called roughing the quarterback on Floyd
wasnt RTP on the QB, was unnecessary roughness for tackling their RB. Ridiculous.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I also wanted to see a replay of Fuller going down on his interception. Crazy how they showed replay after replay and stopped it before the alleged down call.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

Fuller was not down..nor OOB..he looked clear to go in for the pick 6..

Mitch don't have give up in him..that goes a long way..
50% of the teams that played today would gladly take this W..
I'm reasonably sure Denver certainly would..
Denver Post
"Broncos comeback kicked aside by Bears in Denver’s first home opener loss since 2011
Welcome to The Vic Fangio Era, Denver, where anything goes. Playing for the win at home instead of the overtime with 31 seconds to go. An ill-timed defensive penalty by one of your best players. And a 53-yard field goal, as time expires, that breaks your heart."
Last edited by docc on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Just some thoughts after re-watching the highlights on YouTube:

Shaheen looked marginally better I guess? Where are you Trey Burton?

Amukamara did not have a good game, he may be a liability

Mitch should step up into the pocket and run more, Davis should not. That 46-yard run by Patterson was so sweet.

The Broncos defense, like the Packers, are no joke. And Flacco still has it, he put in an MVP performance today.

I hope Bilal Nichols is not seriously injured

Montgomery's arrow is pointing up, He put in maximum effort. I'm glad that Nagy didn't abandon the run in this game but where are all the trick plays, coach? Why you no have rhythm on offense?

Not too many penalties against us this game but when they were called, they REALLY hurt us. The officiating sucked. "I guess we are going to legislate contact in a contact sport" was what one of the announcers said and I agree. Ridiculous. Fuller interception should have been a touchdown. Egregious.

Jackson, Fuller, and Mack are as dangerous as ever but we had a lot of missed tackles in the running game. That false start on the Bears defense after Denver missed the FG was on No. 24, Skrine. What the hell, BUSTER. What the hell.

Pineiro was clutch, who knew? That look on Vic Fangio's face after he saw that made the kick should be used in an antacid commercial.

GO BEARS!
Last edited by ramentaschen on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:51 pm You guys are exhausting.
What do you want to hear? Just curious.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
docc
Head Coach

Trick plays..pretty sure Fangio knows exactly when and what they are. So we kept it simple..used our D and runs. Remember last week "We knew we'd win if we made Mitch beat us.."
Also a very tight game against a team that knows us well... Many bitched about lack of runs..well this week we forced feed the Broncos in the Mile High running game..

We won..and that what's this game is about.. Who knows how we play next week..but I'll always take a W to work off of for the next week..
malk
Head Coach

Exhilarating! Snatching defeat from the caressing arms of victory only to punch defeat in the teeth to snatch back victory from its jaws! Crazy game.

That's a statement win, especially with the offence coming out of a stupor to get the victory, much better for morale than a defensive touchdown.

The Broncos have a very good defence, there are a few teams that won't put together 4 scoring drives against them this year. Time to put that offensive performance behind us and get a good week of work in ready to take Washington apart.

September games in Denver are weird, ones in the 90s (32 degrees man that's hot in pads!) must be doom. Overcoming that is massive. The great teams need to steal a game or two, we've done that, plenty of time for the QB to settle down. I'm reserving any concern until the first quarter of the season is over.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Forget physical ability, Eddy clearly has the mental toughness and swagger it takes to be a kicker.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I watched the game recorded with no sound fast forwarded through down time. Wich means my opinions where shaped differently.

Broncos have a good defense. I thought nagy called a better game. Still clunky but better. I thought mitch was similar but a touch better. He still has the same issues but he kept his eye level much better.

The defense was good but got wore down. Eddie jackson is a beast. Fuller should have gotten 6. The only way to block mack is hold. The penalties on Floyd early and goldman where garbage.

It was an ugly game but I think we saw some positives. Eddie P didnt blow it.
docc
Head Coach

IF Fangio doesn't go for the 2..we get ball back and probably sit on it for OT. Home teams in OT win a large portion especially at a mile high..

So..I guess there are many ways to source all this..
Mitch don't quit..not in LA game in Playoffs..not today..

Respect it or not..it is apparent..
Last edited by docc on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

after the broncos scored, I turned the game off. My wife turned it back on and I was glad she did. I was so pessimistic watching the Bears drive down with time dwindling and "knew" we weren't going to get an opportunity to make a kick because time expired. But we did, and we made it. Won't apologize for a skin of the teeth win.

I know I need to change my attitude with the way this team is. But man is it hard. Just wish Mitch looked as good in the first 40ish minutes of each game as he did in the final drive of the game
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am Bears 16
Broncos 14

I think the O-Line pull their heads out of their asses and montgomery gets 1 TD and Robinson gets another, topped off with a 4th qtr safety when Roy Robertson-Harris buries Flacco for a safety to seal a very close game at mile high.

Mack gets double teamed and held all day and Mitch takes 5 sacks. We run the ball more and it works out.
Look at this one!! Winner winner chicken dinner GSH! Nice work.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Also, the NFL has destroyed the return game and that's terrible. Makes the game less interesting.
Last edited by ramentaschen on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Here's my take on the game. Without watching it again.

1. Trubisky needs to told, " We aren't going to run a play. Snap the ball, and run around until you find an open guy." Because that's the only way he will look around for a free receiver. My guess is, that's not the only time, four seconds into the play, where a receiver was running wide open. It just so happens that this time Biscuits found him.

2. Floyd is coming into his own this year. He is going to be an absolute BEAST by week 8.

3. Mack get's held on 90% of the football he participates in. He's too good for referees to call it all the time.

4. Mike Davis needs to go elsewhere.

5. Our OL needs to figure it out. Fast.

6. Eddy Dinero is our kicker. Kid has got balls of steel.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 pm
I'm not going to pretend to speak for wab, but I'm on his side here. A win on the road against a very good defense in a building that's usually difficult to play in is cause for celebration, not lamentation.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Re-watching it. I think Dinero's kick would have been good from 65 yards. That thing hit the net from 53.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:27 pm

I'm not going to pretend to speak for wab, but I'm on his side here. A win on the road against a very good defense in a building that's usually difficult to play in is cause for celebration, not lamentation.
I understand what you and WAB are saying. But I really wanted to see something more out of Mitch today. Something that told me that the Packer game was an aberration. But I just didn't see it. I also didn't see a lot of creative play calling by Nagy. Yes Patterson's run was great, but I wanted to see him scheming WR's open down field, and it never happened.

I am ecstatic for the win. I just want to see the offense, even remotely, equal what the defense is putting on the field.
Xee
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:34 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:27 pm

I understand what you and WAB are saying. But I really wanted to see something more out of Mitch today. Something that told me that the Packer game was an aberration. But I just didn't see it. I also didn't see a lot of creative play calling by Nagy. Yes Patterson's run was great, but I wanted to see him scheming WR's open down field, and it never happened.

I am ecstatic for the win. I just want to see the offense, even remotely, equal what the defense is putting on the field.
Thing is, the term most used to describe Nagy's playcalling against the Packers was "too cute" and this game we saw more bread-and-butter plays with a good mix of run vs pass. Now it's not creative enough?

And I like to think we have a great defense, so need for a "great" offense isn't as important. As long as they can put *some* points, a defense can carry a team.
Chifaninca
Journeyman

I completely understand those who were frustrated and those want to give a little more patience...Problem is - both are right and wrong. This was a tough game made tougher by mistakes, bad calls and an anemic offense. Our O-Line is not as good as we need them to be yet.

This season is so pivotal for all the Money reasons we all know. So yeah, Mitch, you and the entire offense have gotta improve....but kudos for making that last play when all hope seemed lost. Also, Robinson seemed to be taking a few too many steps for my liking. Catch, drop to ground call time out..I wonder how it would've turned out if he hadn't seen the Bronco defender coming. We are talking fractions of a second.

Referees are killing games - not out of incompetence, but I think out the complexity/ambiguity of some of these rules...

Bustered - Until that Extra Point try, I was going to come in here and say....Damn Buster Skrine played really well. He made a huge mistake....but he also played well for much of the game...especially the back to back blitzes....

One final note - Relying on your D is great when they are getting takeaways and scoring for you - see last year. An clicking NFL offense should be able to put up 17-21 points every game. When we get there, I will much feel much better. I think the D got gassed and the O puckered in the 4th.... Today truly lived up to it's a game of inches - I.e. - Montgomery's TD by a hang nail....Good to see nonetheless

And...As most would agree - a win is a win and feels much better than a loss anytime!!!!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:23 pm Here's my take on the game. Without watching it again.

1. Trubisky needs to told, " We aren't going to run a play. Snap the ball, and run around until you find an open guy." Because that's the only way he will look around for a free receiver. My guess is, that's not the only time, four seconds into the play, where a receiver was running wide open. It just so happens that this time Biscuits found him.

2. Floyd is coming into his own this year. He is going to be an absolute BEAST by week 8.

3. Mack get's held on 90% of the football he participates in. He's too good for referees to call it all the time.

4. Mike Davis needs to go elsewhere.

5. Our OL needs to figure it out. Fast.

6. Eddy Dinero is our kicker. Kid has got balls of steel.
Biscuit is a lot better when he doesn't have to think. There's a reason why he's great when its scramble and throw or in the clutch vs just a regular situation. He overthinks things and that's where he's getting into trouble.

My random thoughts / comments:

1) The Kid. Montgomery is just great. Every play there's a second effort, a juke move, a spin, something. He doesn't get tackled easy unless the o-line screws the pooch. I just love that guy.

2) Imagine if this defense had an offense that could put up yardage and points.

3) We've got a problem in that Biscuit throws good on pitch and catch plays but not much else. Unless when he doesn't have to think. In the clutch or on a scramble Biscuit can throw. Otherwise not so much. They gotta figure out how to get him to focus in the pocket and deliver.

4) The refs are atrocious. This was an embarrassment. Floyd gets flagged for tackling. Fuller never went down nor did he go out of bounds on the INT. Mack gets clotheslined, tackled, choked, etc. with impunity and they miss it 90% of the time. That's not my problem if it happens to him on every play. If they see it they should call it. That's the whole point of having Mack on the team is to be a gamechanger. If it's 1st and 50 every time because of holding I don't care I'll still watch the game.

5) Since when did Cohen start to suck?

6) The Man Of The Hour. Eddy Dinero.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Eeyore Mania reached critical mass several times throughout the game in chat. I love the chat room and I love the conversation, but people need to let things play out and not expect the apocalypse every time the opposing team does something.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think the big takeaway was the Oline started to block effectively again, minus a few penalties and a couple of misses. Bisky, nor any QB, could thrive under week 1s pressure. The Oline giving him some protection was the key. Now the WRs need to start getting some more separation. BIsky also needs to view the field better as many have noticed, but I think some of the criticism going to him is too far. He is also doing a lot of good stuff out there. Overall I think the lack of preseason reps DID hurt the Os rhythm and everybody being aligned on the same page and the step forward we saw last night will be replicated further next week, kind of like we might have seen in the preseason...the trade off is no starters injured before the season starts. However, Bisky made a number of good throws, moved well in the pocket, and looked much more settled than last week; I expect that to continue.

Monty is the real deal folks. this kid is going to make a name for himself. Every play he has some little move to get a couple extra yards, and on contact forces himself to grab just a little more. Mike Davis is still better depth than we had the last two years, and tonight's amount of usage seemed appropriate. There is a big gap between him and Monty.

Skrine was a good signing. One mistake for sure, but overall his play was quite good for us.

Nagy called a much better game. I'd like to see some more quick slants over the middle to compliment the sideline passes. The run game was committed to and importantly Cohen was used as a runner so his presence didn't telegraph a passing play.

Eddie Pinero!!! I wanted him to win the competition, I feel rewarded now. We have our guy finally since Gould was let go.

This game was hair-raising at the end, but the W washed out the bad taste from GB.
G08
Hall of Famer

A win is a win is a win. I was running around my condo screaming like a madman.

I'm so impressed with Nagy's ability to be humble and pare back his offense and focus on running the ball. He has no ego and I love that about him.

Sidenote: how fucking cool is it that during game prep he made the team watch the Saints game winning drive and sure enough we find ourselves in that exact situation yesterday?? Fucking brilliant.

Enjoy the W, fellas! These aren't guarantees, ya know :toast:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm The things I do for you people. 8B04273F-0E1E-4076-8FF8-4243041D8B26.jpeg
Dude. You can't ever NOT wear that shirt on GameDay again. Like ever :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm super happy for the win, and laughed about as happy of a loud laugh as I ever remember when Dinero approached and kicked that ball with what looked to be a calmness like he was out there playing in the yard with kids. And then the joyous Jimmy V running celebration afterwards! Love that kid.

The Oline shure looks better when they're running half the time. I respect the way Nagy kept pounding at the goal line. 32 deserved it. The Oline deserved it. And you just know it was jaw-dropping for Fangio, who certainly was expecting a Sowell or something. Sweet.

Because I want to see more Ws than Ls, I also want to mention that the QB and current starting WRs are just not cutting it. 10 is a big part of the problem because he doesn't seem to see the field, and tends to make unwise choices in the moment. Of course we never know the context, and I want to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. But just once, I'd like to see 10 be able to hit 18 in stride (which is the big reason he's out there, right?). Or hit 29 in space (a bubble screen is not "space"). 17 might be out of shape - but there is something wrong because the kid is a gamer and fighter and only one or two looks a game for a 2nd rounder who already showed he can really play is a tragedy.

Honestly, I'll take 27 passes a game every time and be happy. But I'd really like to see Nagy use Wims and Ridley if he's going to continue to have 10 throwing contested balls on the regular. Right? Who do you want battling for the ball - those guys or 18 or 29? I think the situation is solvable with the pieces they have. What we're seeing just seems like a really awkward combination of players and calls and I honestly can't remember seeing continuing misfires and lack of production from a team with this level of talent Maybe I'm wrong about the level of talent - but I don't think so...
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Eeyore mania? Exhausting? Really? Sure the Broncos have a good D. We have a GREAT D. Flacco threw for 292 yards. Mitch threw for 120. There is more than enough reason to have some concern with 10 and the O.
wab
Mod

I mean, it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be happy unless Mitch is throwing 6 TD's a game and the defense is pitching shutouts.

It was a low scoring and hard fought game that...up until last year, the Bears would have found a way to lose.

Instead, the Broncos had the Bears-y ending.

But people are moping around here like Mitch threw a game ending pick instead of making a pretty clutch play with almost no time left.

It's not even fun when the Bears win anymore.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 am

I mean, it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be happy unless Mitch is throwing 6 TD's a game and the defense is pitching shutouts.

It was a low scoring and hard fought game that...up until last year, the Bears would have found a way to lose.

Instead, the Broncos had the Bears-y ending.

But people are moping around here like Mitch threw a game ending pick instead of making a pretty clutch play with almost no time left.

It's not even fun when the Bears win anymore.
I've seen posts saying that people are happy but have some concern. What is wrong with that? Mitch threw for 120 yards. He completed less than 60% of his passes again. There is ample reason for concern. Or are we only supposed to post what is approved by certain people here?
BR0D1E86
MVP

I live out here in Colorado. I love hearing all the whining about the refs out here as if their ability to get points earlier in the game wasn’t directly affected in a positive by bad calls the other way. That should have been a kneeling play anyway.