Wk 2 // CHICAGO BEARS vs DENVER BRONCOS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:01 am
wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 am

I mean, it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be happy unless Mitch is throwing 6 TD's a game and the defense is pitching shutouts.

It was a low scoring and hard fought game that...up until last year, the Bears would have found a way to lose.

Instead, the Broncos had the Bears-y ending.

But people are moping around here like Mitch threw a game ending pick instead of making a pretty clutch play with almost no time left.

It's not even fun when the Bears win anymore.
I've seen posts saying that people are happy but have some concern. What is wrong with that? Mitch threw for 120 yards. He completed less than 60% of his passes again. There is ample reason for concern. Or are we only supposed to post what is approved by certain people here?
You have your observations, I have mine.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think people are happy and really enjoying it. But just cautious that the O needs to figure some things out. Don't take that as overall negative. I personally am feeling really good about this game, and team. I'm bullish.

To be honest what I'm still super butt-hurt over is last week's debacle. And now even more pissed that Nagy chickened out from testing Eddy in that big moment. At home. It was a big blow to the odds of winning the division. It really was a debacle, and huge - not just one game, but big time playoff implications.

At least Nagy showed some balls at the goal line yesterday. That was sweet.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 amI mean, it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be happy unless Mitch is throwing 6 TD's a game and the defense is pitching shutouts.
So Mitch was 16/27 for 120 with 0 TDs or interceptions. If you're satisfied with 4.44 YPA and an offense that has scored 19 points in 2 games, then good for you. But that's a pretty low bar. Nowhere in the same zip code of 6 TDs.

And generally speaking, I think people are pretty happy with the defense.
wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 amBut people are moping around here like Mitch threw a game ending pick instead of making a pretty clutch play with almost no time left.
Which wouldn't have mattered if we didn't get a get out of jail free card RTP bogus penalty call on that drive. In fairness, we got a couple of those against us as well, so maybe that balances things out. But it's outrageously homerish to give Biscuit credit for leading a game winning drive without acknowledging the undeserved 15 yards we got that used zero clock and got us a clock stoppage on a 31 second possession.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

So that was one of the most insane endings I’ve ever seen. My biggest takeaway though is Trubisky is so, so bad. I’m certainly not qualified to comment on why he’s this bad, but in a game of solid performances, outside of that last throw he was just horrific.

It needs to get fixed, and it needs to get fixed immediately. The rest of this team is 100% ready to win in the playoffs. He just looks completely helpless out there.

EDIT: and to @wab, I’m certainly not expecting 6 touchdowns a game. But I don’t think basic NFL competency is too much to ask. We’ve now seen two full games, which isn’t insignificant, of him almost never coming off a first read, wild inaccuracy missing open receivers, poor mechanics, and it’s all entirely crippling the offense. The defense is awesome. It can’t be expected to be on the field all game while the offense does nothing and hold the other team under 10 every week. If you’re not concerned about Trubisky in a big, big way, I don’t even think we’re watching the same player. It would be one thing if he had the body of work to indicate he’d pull out of it, but we saw the same things last year too. This is Trubisky. And it’s not good enough.
G08
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 pm

What do you want to hear? Just curious.
I mean, it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be happy unless Mitch is throwing 6 TD's a game and the defense is pitching shutouts.

It was a low scoring and hard fought game that...up until last year, the Bears would have found a way to lose.

But people are moping around here like Mitch threw a game ending pick instead of making a pretty clutch play with almost no time left.

On 4th and 15, nonetheless.

I loved the game. You need games like this to grow as a coach, as a player, and as a team.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

Also - Hey WTF dink and dunk demon was possessing Flacco yesterday? That was like the ghost of Alex Smith out there. That was a huge surprise to me. Was that Fangio's knowledge of the weaknesses of the Bear D? We should watch this as a developing story. Thank goodness they're not facing quick release Rodgers every week. If most opponents try that quick passing scheme I'm guessing/hoping that means we start seeing a lot of picks.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am

On 4th and 15, nonetheless.

I loved the game. You need games like this to grow as a coach, as a player, and as a team.

that was a wild final 2 minutes ... to be honest though, I feared when the refs got together at the end they would say time had expired before the Bears time out ... game over

instead, we get Eddy and his chance to enter his name in Bears lore, one way or another ... and surprise - he drilled the 53 yard game winner ... I think he'll probably be drinking for free in Chicago for at least a week

we could pick this game apart for its technical flaws, and yes, the offense is still a work in progress, but they came through when they absolutely had to didn't they?

so I'm with you G08 - this game was a blast, and I choose to accept it, warts and all, and enjoy the result

:toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Man, you guys are gluttons for punishment. I love the outcome - but my god that was heart attack inducing stress. I scared the step daughter and the dog. The entire house lightened up after Eddy's kick. rofl
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am Man, you guys are gluttons for punishment.
well we are Bears fans ... so your point? :D

IE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am I love the outcome - but my god that was heart attack inducing stress. I scared the step daughter and the dog. The entire house lightened up after Eddy's kick. rofl

happy you survived the experience :thumbsup: :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am Also - Hey WTF dink and dunk demon was possessing Flacco yesterday? That was like the ghost of Alex Smith out there. That was a huge surprise to me. Was that Fangio's knowledge of the weaknesses of the Bear D? We should watch this as a developing story. Thank goodness they're not facing quick release Rodgers every week. If most opponents try that quick passing scheme I'm guessing/hoping that means we start seeing a lot of picks.
Yeah man, I think that's the book on the Bears D until they make a QB pay with picks...get the ball out quick on short slants etc.

The Bears weren't going to let Sanders get behind them so Flacco small-balled them all day.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 am Eeyore mania? Exhausting? Really? Sure the Broncos have a good D. We have a GREAT D. Flacco threw for 292 yards. Mitch threw for 120. There is more than enough reason to have some concern with 10 and the O.
Yes, Eeyore Mania big time. The Broncos gain some yards. Cohen drops a pass (again) and it’s the End Times. Yes obviously those things are bad but the comments were along the lines of “oh here we go again”. Basically I perceive that there’s an overwhelming expectation for us to lose all the time.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Winning that game, the way they did was awesome. How many times has that similar thing happened to the Bears. It's nice to see them win a game that they had no business winning at the end. Kudos for Nagy, #12 and #10. They used every second and every ounce of effort to get Eddie Money in position to make that kick. And how about Piniero? I bet he sleeps better this week than he has in months.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Being a fan is all about expectations. Expectations IMO, come from past performance, hype, belief and hope. I have not let myself buy into expectations since the mid to late 80s. When all this team could do was win 1 SB, hell with drinking the kool aid. I just take the games as they come. Don't put too much in prior to the season, always looking at 9-7 or so.

Many people love the hype, but hype is what gets you pissed off. Hype is other people's impressions and beliefs.

The team was hyped big time for this season. TRubs was hyped. Fans who bought into are disappointed by the play so far. 1-1, expected. I will never be surprised that a A A Ron led Pack team beats the Bears, never.

Trubs, alls he has to be right now is Andy Dalton. He doesn't need to be Mahomes, Brees, Watson....he needs to limit the turnovers. I didn't know who the hell this guy was coming out of college. I was a Watson guy. Watson was on TV playing for a title contender at Clemson, Trubs played college ball at a basketball college.

Don't expect Trubs to any of the QBs mentioned, I don't think he will be. The Bears can win with a game managing QB right now (that will piss people off).

I never expected 12-4 this year. The Bears will fall back some and other teams will rise up some (Lions 2-0, really). The Bears are a playoff team and will get better as the year goes on.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm
IE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am Also - Hey WTF dink and dunk demon was possessing Flacco yesterday? That was like the ghost of Alex Smith out there. That was a huge surprise to me. Was that Fangio's knowledge of the weaknesses of the Bear D? We should watch this as a developing story. Thank goodness they're not facing quick release Rodgers every week. If most opponents try that quick passing scheme I'm guessing/hoping that means we start seeing a lot of picks.
Yeah man, I think that's the book on the Bears D until they make a QB pay with picks...get the ball out quick on short slants etc.

The Bears weren't going to let Sanders get behind them so Flacco small-balled them all day.
And if you're a statue like Flacco, you HAVE TO get rid of the ball quick or you're going to get turned into hamburger by Mack, Floyd and co. That was just common sense strategic thinking. What I was waiting for was the corners to stop respecting the double move and jump every route on the first move, because they knew Flacco was going to unload it quick. That's a risky strategy, but it seemed like the response to what Denver was doing. It can work if the pass rush is getting there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am Bears 16
Broncos 14

I think the O-Line pull their heads out of their asses and montgomery gets 1 TD and Robinson gets another, topped off with a 4th qtr safety when Roy Robertson-Harris buries Flacco for a safety to seal a very close game at mile high.

Mack gets double teamed and held all day and Mitch takes 5 sacks. We run the ball more and it works out.
Nailed it! :thumbsup:

BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm
wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm

And if you're a statue like Flacco, you HAVE TO get rid of the ball quick or you're going to get turned into hamburger by Mack, Floyd and co. That was just common sense strategic thinking. What I was waiting for was the corners to stop respecting the double move and jump every route on the first move, because they knew Flacco was going to unload it quick. That's a risky strategy, but it seemed like the response to what Denver was doing. It can work if the pass rush is getting there.
Yeah, it’s obviously the book on this D. Flacco had either the second or third fastest average time to the ball leaving his hand on average this week. That’s fine, defense just needs to be sound tackling and take advantage of the errant throws when they are there.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

wab wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:01 am

I've seen posts saying that people are happy but have some concern. What is wrong with that? Mitch threw for 120 yards. He completed less than 60% of his passes again. There is ample reason for concern. Or are we only supposed to post what is approved by certain people here?
You have your observations, I have mine.
And I have mine as well.

You're BIG TIME drinking the Kool-Aid on this team right now! My observation is that people aren't moping...it's just that it was an uncomfortable win and everybody is tired of the same old, tired, retreaded Bears defense and abysmal offense. Mitch is not playing good or Nagy is just this bad at play calling and scheming...it's one or the other at this point.

Nobody is expecting 6 TD games and shutouts. I think everybody is expecting a somewhat competent Offense at this point, and that's fair to expect. This isn't a newly assembled group of guys, they are year two in this offense together...and appear to be taking huge steps backwards. Here's where we sit in the rankings right now for our Offense YPG...

30. Chicago Bears
31. New York Jets
32. Miami Dolphins

That's the bottom of the barrel! Those 3 teams are not coincidentally the same 3 that are at the bottom of the league in scoring in that same order. In fact, there are actually 10 teams that have more points scored than those 3 teams put together...TEN!!!

Total passing yards...

27. Mitch Trubisky
28. Jacoby Brissett
29. Kirk Cousins
30. Baker Mayfield
31. Ryan Fitzpatrick
32. Sam Darnold

However...Darnold didn't play this week and won't be playing soon. I believe Mayfield will pass for more than 63 yards tonight. Fitzmagic has only played a game and a half and will be replaced. So in reality this list reads as follows if Mayfield isn't injured tonight...

30. Mitch Trubisky
31. Jacoby Brissett
32. Kirk Cousins

There's 20 yards separating Cousins and Trubisky. However you want to slice that we're potentially 1 decent throw from Mitch being number 32 in passing. That good throw can also go the other way and have Mitch at number 29 if we're being fair.

There are 33 players that have thrown more TD's than Mitch this season. Including starters that haven't thrown TD's, sorted by passing yards, that list reads...

30. Cam Newton
31. Ben Roethlisberger
32. Mitch Trubisky

QBR...

30. Mitch Trubisky
31. Ben Roethlisberger
32. Kirk Cousins

For all the if Mitch was just Andy Dalton talk...Dalton is #2 in the league in passing yards right now at 729, more than double Trubisky and has 4 TD's. We'd be talking Super Bowl if we had Dalton.

We're not going to win many games if this continues, this is just the facts.

I think part of the "moping" is all the hype and expectations everybody had entering this season and we look WORSE on the offensive side of the ball than last season. Everybody was ready for a team in Chicago that would be competing for years to come. Everybody was ready for the naysayers to shut their mouths. We haven't got that or at least it doesn't seem that we do! It's not only that we haven't got that, it's more of a feeling of...here we go again! I'm TIRED of here we go again!

I'm not jumping ship. I'm not throwing Trubisky away. I'm not throwing Nagy away. I'm just saying...something needs to change QUICK, or we're not going to be going anywhere. We're not going to go ANYWHERE with an offense ranked 30, 31 or 32 come the end of the season. We'll have a record that reflects a garbage team that sits in those spots. The Jets SUCK. The Dolphins SUCK. I DON'T think we do, maybe I'm being a homer...but I don't feel I am.

That's what everybody else is saying, that's my observation. Maybe they didn't actually know the above stats, but they knew it wasn't looking good.

Silver lining...it's week 2. There's time to fix this...but it HAS to get fixed!
BR0D1E86
MVP

BR0D1E86
MVP

And after that happy tweet, here’s a less happy one...

KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Lol I've turned you all into me.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

docc wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 pm Fuller was not down..nor OOB..he looked clear to go in for the pick 6..

Everybody calm down.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hell, I thought he was down live, didn't know what the hubbub was.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:55 pm And after that happy tweet, here’s a less happy one...

nah, wab thinks you guys are idiots because you're mad mitch isnt throwing 6 td's.
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 pm
BR0D1E86 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:55 pm And after that happy tweet, here’s a less happy one...

nah, wab thinks you guys are idiots because you're mad mitch isnt throwing 6 td's.
I get where he’s coming from, because while I was periodically concerned with Trubisky last year, he never looked this bad. So it’s possible it’s an aberration. But I don’t know how you can’t be concerned. Still enjoy the crazy win, but we’re not winning more than 6 games if this is the offense. I don’t care what our defense does, this offense isn’t good enough.
G08
Hall of Famer

Just for clarification's sake: you are all idiots... :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

I am 65 years a Bear fan.. I never do prognostication..find it meaningless..whether by fans or the talking (writing) heads.. I never buy into the preseason hype and BS..

2nd game 1985..
Jim McMahon..13-23-232-1TD-1INT
Rushing 44 for 160 1TD
At New England..
I remember the newspapers saying McMahon was a mistake..Ditka was too conservative..
But I liked the win..

Yesterday
Trubisky 16-27 120 0TD 0INT
Rushing 29 for 153 1TD
Again very conservative// Trubisky was a mistake/Nagy was too conservative
But i liked the win..

McMahon maybe what the best we can expect from Trubisky..a tough kid..who will do anything to win a game.

Not really comparing 1985 to this years team..just interesting 2nd games of a long season. Teams with great D and tough but not classic QBs in any way..

Maybe the best we can hope for..
And if we win..
It's all ok with me..

Anyone here remember the 1985 season ? A lot of glory AFTER the season..but early not so much..

I just watch and see what Bears can do..
docc
Head Coach

Oh yeah..Chicago vs Wash 1985
Team Stats

WAS
First Downs 19 / Bears 6
Rush-Yds-TDs 35-192-1 / Bears 22-91-1
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT 21-39-209-0-2 / Bears 14-21-173-4-1
Sacked-Yards 4-25 / Bears 3-14
Net Pass Yards 184 / Bears 159
Total Yards 376 / Bears 250
Fumbles-Lost 1-1 / Bears 0-0
Turnovers 3 / Bears 1
Penalties-Yards 10-85 n / Bears 6-50
Time of Possession 34:25 / Bears 25:35

Papers ripped Bears as lucky to win..
But I enjoyed the Win...
GSH
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:06 pm
GSH wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 am Bears 16
Broncos 14

I think the O-Line pull their heads out of their asses and montgomery gets 1 TD and Robinson gets another, topped off with a 4th qtr safety when Roy Robertson-Harris buries Flacco for a safety to seal a very close game at mile high.

Mack gets double teamed and held all day and Mitch takes 5 sacks. We run the ball more and it works out.
Nailed it! :thumbsup:
Ha! Not spot on with everything predicted but ill take it!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 pm

2nd game 1985..
Jim McMahon..13-23-232-1TD-1INT
Rushing 44 for 160 1TD
At New England..
I remember the newspapers saying McMahon was a mistake..Ditka was too conservative..
But I liked the win..

Anyone here remember the 1985 season ? A lot of glory AFTER the season..but early not so much..

I just watch and see what Bears can do..

I was at that game docc, hungover as a mofo. Who would have thought the Bears would end up playing them in the Super Bowl.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hey at this point I'll take ONE TD. Just ONE!