Film Room: Trubisky still making rookie mistakes

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What concerns me the most is that Nagy seems to be calling a lot of pitch and catch plays. I think that Nagy is adjusting the playcalling for Biscuit's accuracy issues. Let's see how that changes week to week.
UOK
Site Admin

Indeed. Gotta see how the calls are against a pretty pedestrian defense/team in Washington.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The upshot is, Nagy needs to get Trubisky to play, in the pocket, like he does when the chips are down and he has to play on instinct. How do you turn off his brain, and turn on the natural God given talent that he has. Just tell the clock operator to change the scoreboard to have it perpetually read 4th & 7, less than two minutes left in the game. That might work.
Xee
Site Admin

In one of the video breakdowns of Mitch posted earlier, the youtuber showed a side-by-side of Mitch and Peyton Manning making the same throw, with Mitch's throw going over the head of an open receiver while Peyton's was caught. The difference was in the hips, with Mitch's not being turned to face the receiver until the ball had left his hand. The youtuber said this torquing motion is what adds velocity to the ball and gets it where it needs to go, and when you don't have it, the ball will sail on you.

In yesterday's game, you saw the exact same thing when Gabriel was wide-open. Mitch wasn't under significant pressure but again, the ball left his hand before his hips turned and instead of an easy completion the ball went way over the head of Gabriel.

This is my main worry about him. As long as our defense is playing up to their level, we don't need him to be great, or make amazing throws, but you got to be able to hit a wide open receiver from the pocket. That is not an unrealistic expectation by any means.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 pm In one of the video breakdowns of Mitch posted earlier, the youtuber showed a side-by-side of Mitch and Peyton Manning making the same throw, with Mitch's throw going over the head of an open receiver while Peyton's was caught. The difference was in the hips, with Mitch's not being turned to face the receiver until the ball had left his hand. The youtuber said this torquing motion is what adds velocity to the ball and gets it where it needs to go, and when you don't have it, the ball will sail on you.

In yesterday's game, you saw the exact same thing when Gabriel was wide-open. Mitch wasn't under significant pressure but again, the ball left his hand before his hips turned and instead of an easy completion the ball went way over the head of Gabriel.

This is my main worry about him. As long as our defense is playing up to their level, we don't need him to be great, or make amazing throws, but you got to be able to hit a wide open receiver from the pocket. That is not an unrealistic expectation by any means.
Yeah. I saw that video. Very good. I was wondering if that was what happened on that play.
Xee
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 pm
Xee wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 pm In one of the video breakdowns of Mitch posted earlier, the youtuber showed a side-by-side of Mitch and Peyton Manning making the same throw, with Mitch's throw going over the head of an open receiver while Peyton's was caught. The difference was in the hips, with Mitch's not being turned to face the receiver until the ball had left his hand. The youtuber said this torquing motion is what adds velocity to the ball and gets it where it needs to go, and when you don't have it, the ball will sail on you.

Yeah. I saw that video. Very good. I was wondering if that was what happened on that play.
To be completely fair, since I don't have All-22, it is possible that Gabriel got interfered with by the defender or maybe Gabriel didn't run his full route, but that was my take from just the replay they showed.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's a question I'd love for a reporter to ask Nagy in a press conference....

Coach... You, your staff and several of your players expressed how much more knowledgeable Mitch is with the offense in OTAs and during training camp. However, he didn't throw a pass in the preseason and in the first two games has not looked like he has improved in his read progressions, which should be a byproduct of more fluent understanding of the offense. Can you point out to me examples of how Mitch's "night and day" improvement has manifested itself in the first two games? And if you can't, why should we trust what you're telling us?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.