Wk 3 // CHICAGO BEARS @ WASHINGTON REDSKINS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

tjs
Journeyman

I dislike the narrative of 5 turnovers and only 24 points by the offense. They didn't have the opportunity to score on one of those because it was a pick six and 1 was late in the game. Did they score on 3/4 of the others? Can't remember.
GSH
MVP

fuck that. we are the chicago bears. we dominate on defense & our offense just about gets it done,

enjoy the road win.

thats who we are.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:05 am
- haha is so much faster than either amos or callahan ever where, be that making a break in zone or closing to a tackle or tracking his man. just an all round better athlete
I think we just got a taste for the havoc that Ha-Ha and Eddie are going to create in the secondary. Both of those safeties are fast, rangy, and ball hawks. Just tremendous athletes. Dix had two interceptions last night, most likely because Washington was trying to stay away from Jackson's side of the field. Now what do you do as a DC? Pick your poison. Mark my words, this will develop into a story throughout the year. As those two ramp up their chemistry and non-verbal communication. Look the fuck out. Should be fun to watch.

If you watch the replay of Ha-Ha's pick six. Eddie Jackson came flying up the field to be the lead blocker. Really cool to see that relationship start to develop.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Listening to the post game with Ha Ha, he said that he just "followed Eddie to the end zone" on that play. And that the defense doesn't focus on turnovers, they focus on touchdowns - I love it!
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

[Next Gen Stats] Gabriel's 36-yard sideline TD was most improbable completion so far this season

According to Next Gen Stats, Mitch Trubisky's 36-yard TD to Taylor Gabriel had a completion probability of just 10.4 percent.

QB Speed at Throw: 9.41 MPH

Air Distance: 49.0 yards

Sideline Distance: 0.0 yards (GPS chips in Gabriel’s shoulder pads were 0.0 yards from sideline at time of catch)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I enjoyed that game. A lot. Apparently I'm in the minority.

Random thoughts...

I mentioned it when the roster was released, but I was worried about how Hicks' body would hold up when they listed him at 355lbs. As active of a player as he is inside, it has to be hard on his lower body.

It sucks, but I think Kyle Long is done. The Bears have had almost no success running to his side. Yeah, the line hasn't run blocked all that well overall, but he's been especially bad. Cohen can't even get back to the LOS and Montgomery has to fight through contact to get anything at all.

The Massie thing worries me because vertigo can be serious and can come on at any time. I don't want Lucas out there any more than needed.

I thought Mitch had a good game. The pick should have never happened, but I thought he saw the field pretty well and that 36 yard throw to Gabriel was special. All the talk about him not being able to throw from the pocket seems strange, because he hasn't had much of a pocket to throw from. It blows my mind that he can throw 3 TD's in like 5 minutes and go on to be compared to Ryan Leaf 30 minutes later.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 am It sucks, but I think Kyle Long is done. The Bears have had almost no success running to his side. Yeah, the line hasn't run blocked all that well overall, but he's been especially bad. Cohen can't even get back to the LOS and Montgomery has to fight through contact to get anything at all.

The Massie thing worries me because vertigo can be serious and can come on at any time. I don't want Lucas out there any more than needed.
Long has been ... serviceable, I guess. I don't think it helps him when the center is struggling, but I get what you're saying. When the carries go right, Long's not bulldozing, but the guy has given his body and career to the Bears. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but wouldn't be surprised if they draft an offensive lineman with one or both picks in round two next spring.

Massie's vertigo scares the hell out of me. It's "good" because it's not a torn ACL or something dire, yet as you said, vertigo is rarely something trivial. My hope is that "vertigo" was a simplification of an inner ear infection or something like that.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I too enjoyed this game very much ... the Bears defense announced to anyone who had any doubts left that they are a legitimate group of people who will ruin your day, and it is so much fun to watch them have fun doing it ... hope Hicks is ok as I did not enjoy seeing him limping off as the game was winding down

the offense is still a work in progress ... Mitch just doesn't seem comfortable while in the pocket, but can do some incredible things while on the move (like the long TD to Gabriel - and big kudos to Gabriel for making that catch) ... his most disappointing throw was the interception to Norman on the goal line that was just bad, and a momentum changer ... but at least not a game killer ... again, that was a bad throw while standing unmolested in the pocket, so there seems to be something to that which needs to be addressed

I got a little antsy as the Redskins fought back, and the crowd I was with started getting amped up ... Keenums fumble while trying to dive over for a first down quieted things down

so yes, this team has warts and plenty of things still needing to be worked on ... but they ARE working and this is 2 fun road wins they can build on

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 am
[Next Gen Stats] Gabriel's 36-yard sideline TD was most improbable completion so far this season

According to Next Gen Stats, Mitch Trubisky's 36-yard TD to Taylor Gabriel had a completion probability of just 10.4 percent.

QB Speed at Throw: 9.41 MPH

Air Distance: 49.0 yards

Sideline Distance: 0.0 yards (GPS chips in Gabriel’s shoulder pads were 0.0 yards from sideline at time of catch)
that was such an incredible play ... as we watched the replay, before I could even say anything, my Redskins fan neighbor said "goddamit, that's a touchdown"

so that was nice
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

Awesome win to get the bears rolling! The defense played lights out.

Couple of thoughts:

I would’ve like to see Pagano try a few different looks up that big on the score board. I’m a little concerned with Pagano’s pass defense. There are definitely BIG soft spots out there. Better QB’s and teams may capitalize on this?

My other concern is the injuries the team took this week, Eddie P, Hicks, Gabriel and Massie(vertigo). Those are all key position.

Loved the up tempo, and moving Trubisky more. I also love the Nagy isn’t stuck in a box, he’s figuring this coaching thing out and adapting.

The O-line has to get better in run blocking, I’m wondering if switching Whitehair and Daniel was the right call?

Super fun first half, bears got it done and kept pace with the best division in football!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Great first half. Second half, I could have done without that. But the Bears got the “dub.”
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Funkster wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:25 am Awesome win to get the bears rolling! The defense played lights out.

Couple of thoughts:

The O-line has to get better in run blocking, I’m wondering if switching Whitehair and Daniel was the right call?

Yeah, I was thinking about this a lot yesterday. Where is the weakest link on our O-line? Is it Daniels at center?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am
Regarding Biscuit, I made another post about him. It's all about your perspective. If you're looking at winning this week, you can be thrilled. If you're hoping to win 3-4 playoff games, there's reason for concern.
This, in a nutshell, is how I feel about the game. Not many teams have defenses that bad.
G08
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:38 pm
Mikefive wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am
Regarding Biscuit, I made another post about him. It's all about your perspective. If you're looking at winning this week, you can be thrilled. If you're hoping to win 3-4 playoff games, there's reason for concern.
This, in a nutshell, is how I feel about the game. Not many teams have defenses that bad.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:50 am
BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:38 pm

No shit, right? It's just never good enough in Chicago. UGH! I am as guilty as anyone. I think the Bears had a great game, and the further I get removed from the game, the more I realize what a dominant performance it was.
BeattieFeathers
Practice Squad

Not a train wreck, but taking 3 weeks to throw a TD is bad lol. He's no better than what's his face in year of SB 41. Maybe playoffs this year, but no SB. I say Pack, Lions and Bears, all make it
BR0D1E86
MVP

We all know he’s 17-12 as a starter right? Not 13-4? That year before he had the best defense in the nfl did happen.

I feel very strongly that the record under Nagy has way more to do with the defense than the offense. The offense has consistently been well below NFL average the plast season+.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Some good analysis here. Highlighting Mitch's game and Nagy's game plan.
Middleguard
MVP

Your week 3 accuracy ratings:
6 Mr.Irrelevant
14 Atkins&Rebel
24 wab
26 IE
38 VA_Mountain_Bear
62 Boris13c
74 southdakbearfan
78 Bears Whiskey Nut
78 The Marshall Plan
86 G08
104 AZ_Bearfan
114 Middleguard
146 UOK
168 tjs
182 HurricaneBear
182 BearButtseks
222 britbear
242 Mikefive
294 Ormazd
302 mmmc_35
326 DaSuperfan
344 MoFugger
378 malk
542 Otis Day
582 Z Bear
686 GSH
698 mohner1
794 BeattieFeathers
These were predictions that duplicated another's earlier post:
24 Richie
78 WagonForce
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

lol
G08
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:10 pm What is with all arguments these days always basing themselves on..if you take point x away then my opinion is right.

You can’t take a fact away just to make your narrative work
Thank you! It's almost as absurd to me as the "almost interceptions" from yesteryear :lol:

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm Your week 3 accuracy ratings:
6 Mr.Irrelevant
14 Atkins&Rebel
24 wab
26 IE
38 VA_Mountain_Bear
62 Boris13c
74 southdakbearfan
78 Bears Whiskey Nut
78 The Marshall Plan
86 G08
104 AZ_Bearfan
114 Middleguard
146 UOK
168 tjs
182 HurricaneBear
182 BearButtseks
222 britbear
242 Mikefive
294 Ormazd
302 mmmc_35
326 DaSuperfan
344 MoFugger
378 malk
542 Otis Day
582 Z Bear
686 GSH
698 mohner1
794 BeattieFeathers
These were predictions that duplicated another's earlier post:
24 Richie
78 WagonForce
G08 - Suck it!!

Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Have I already predicted? If not

Bears 16
Vikings 13
Have a great day
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

People need to focus on the negative a lot. That's just personalities. I don't listen to sports radio anymore (too many hot takes, commercials, and insults towards the callers), but when I did everything could go right on the Bears and it was "Good Rex / Bad Rex" type crap.

We're 2-1 with the next several games being very winnable. I'm happy.
Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:46 am People need to focus on the negative a lot. That's just personalities. I don't listen to sports radio anymore (too many hot takes, commercials, and insults towards the callers), but when I did everything could go right on the Bears and it was "Good Rex / Bad Rex" type crap.
Not to go off on a tangent, but that's what's moved me completely off of radio. Some of these guys have been talking about Bears for so long that they've gotten this elitist attitude when it comes to regular fans. They'll have a popular sports commentator come on their show, he can say whatever crazy shit he wants, and they don't challenge him on anything. But if a fan were to say something that they didn't agree with, they'll tear him a new one and talk down to him. Just a bunch of hypocrites. Thankfully there's plenty of Bears podcasters with open minds.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:46 am People need to focus on the negative a lot. That's just personalities. I don't listen to sports radio anymore (too many hot takes, commercials, and insults towards the callers), but when I did everything could go right on the Bears and it was "Good Rex / Bad Rex" type crap.
Not to go off on a tangent, but that's what's moved me completely off of radio. Some of these guys have been talking about Bears for so long that they've gotten this elitist attitude when it comes to regular fans. They'll have a popular sports commentator come on their show, he can say whatever crazy shit he wants, and they don't challenge him on anything. But if a fan were to say something that they didn't agree with, they'll tear him a new one and talk down to him. Just a bunch of hypocrites. Thankfully there's plenty of Bears podcasters with open minds.
Those callers are probably screened six ways from Sunday. There's no way they let on somebody who could take Bernstein to school. What would he say? Oh ok, I've been wrong for the past 3 hours. Nevermind! Then the rudeness about the callers after they hangup. It's a very rigged and biased way to discuss things.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:10 am
Xee wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 am

Those callers are probably screened six ways from Sunday. There's no way they let on somebody who could take Bernstein to school. What would he say? Oh ok, I've been wrong for the past 3 hours. Nevermind! Then the rudeness about the callers after they hangup. It's a very rigged and biased way to discuss things.
Bernstein is particularly bad about this, which is why I would seek other alternatives when he's on.

There are some more reasonable options though. I've said for some time that Laurence Holmes is the best radio host going. But he's on during the day now when I'm at work. :-(
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hoge and Jahns podcast... it's freaking gold.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 pm Hoge and Jahns podcast... it's freaking gold.
Thanks for the tip. Put it on the list of podcasts.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

G08 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 pm Hoge and Jahns podcast... it's freaking gold.
I've started listening to this since I saw it in the Podcasts thread in the lounge, it's great!