TE Bradley Sowell w̶a̶i̶v̶e̶d̶ r̶e̶-̶s̶i̶g̶n̶s̶ w̶a̶i̶v̶e̶d̶ r̶e̶-̶s̶i̶g̶n̶s̶ w̶a̶i̶v̶e̶d̶...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

Welcome back, Mr Kotter...

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Why do we care? He has been a nothing for the team.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm Why do we care? He has been a nothing for the team.
I care because its an indication of the shit show going on with Nagy.
Richie
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm Why do we care? He has been a nothing for the team.
You have to be one helluva Debbie-downer to not even see a little bit of humor in this.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Humor? No. Ridiculousness? Yes.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:37 am
You'll have to explain that one for me.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I wonder if we're close to Shaheen getting cut and Sowell getting a more permanent roster spot?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

The Bears are just doing this so they can pay him. It's paper shuffling and it doesn't matter in the least as it pertains to the team or the results so far this season. It does feel like a loophole, but I doubt the league cares all that much.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:37 am

1) Use an OL as a pass catching TE on the goal line.
2) Take the OL, convince him to drop a ton of weight to be a full time TE.
3) Hardly ever, if ever, use that OL / TE in a game.
4) Waive that TE whenever a roster spot is needed.
5) Resign that TE whenever a roster spot is opened up.

Repeat steps 3 through 5 every week of the season.

How is that not a shit show?
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am

Because it has literally zero impact on the season. You think the Bears would be 8-2 with Sowell active on game day?
wab
Mod

1 - Take an OL that was a fringe player who did some ok things as a goal-line gadget player and try to find a real place for him
2 - Convince him to drop a ton of weight to see if he can be a full time TE
3 - Hardly ever, if ever, use that OL / TE in a game because he can't and he's no real threat in the passing game.
4 - Do him a solid by paying him because you knew that asking him to do this put his 2019 season on the line if it didn't pan out.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:25 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Because it has literally zero impact on the season. You think the Bears would be 8-2 with Sowell active on game day?
Did I say that?

Who cares if it has zero impact on the season? It’s a disorganized disaster.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm It’s a disorganized disaster.
Except... it really isn't. And even if it was, who cares...it has zero impact on literally any result thus far. It's paper pushing.

And if the Bears WERE 8-2, it would be nothing but a humorous footnote instead of something for angry fans to cling to on their continual quest for things to be upset about (I'm not saying that's you).

Hell, I'd wager that some fans (again, not you) would be all "look at Nagy playing the system, what a genius".
BR0D1E86
MVP

It's amusing in what's amounting to the season equivalent of having your fingernails ground off by a belt sander
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:08 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm It’s a disorganized disaster.
Except... it really isn't. And even if it was, who cares...it has zero impact on literally any result thus far. It's paper pushing.

And if the Bears WERE 8-2, it would be nothing but a humorous footnote instead of something for angry fans to cling to on their continual quest for things to be upset about (I'm not saying that's you).

Hell, I'd wager that some fans (again, not you) would be all "look at Nagy playing the system, what a genius".
It’s the same thing when Joe Maddon would do crap like have a petting zoo for the players. It’s adorable, innovative and trendy when you’re winning. Not so much when you’re not.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:23 pm

It’s the same thing when Joe Maddon would do crap like have a petting zoo for the players. It’s adorable, innovative and trendy when you’re winning. Not so much when you’re not.
It's really not even close to the same thing. But ok, be cranky about meaningless roster moves involving a meaningless TE.
G08
Hall of Famer

Wait... what? I don't think cutting and re-signing Sowell like this is for team morale. I have no fucking idea what their logic is at this point with this back and forth nonsense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Wait... what? I don't think cutting and re-signing Sowell like this is for team morale. I have no fucking idea what their logic is at this point with this back and forth nonsense.
I assume it gets him a year of service accrued or something.
MoFugger
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:20 pm

I assume it gets him a year of service accrued or something.
And he doesn't have to break his lease.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What I'm trying to say, and maybe I did a poor job of it, is that winning floats on shit. When the Cubs were winning and the Bears were winning, you could look disorganized or look like its party time and OK that's fine. When the shit is hitting the fan, now is not the time to have animals in the outfield or to be waiving his failed pet project TE for 12th time. Doesn't it look stupid that the whole Sowell thing blew up in his face?

I don't like the way Nagy handles losing. This smiling and aww shucks type crap during the press conference drives me batshit. I want some fire in the belly. He doesn't even have to give me Full Ditka, but dammit show me something that you're pissed and that this isn't acceptable. Stop trying to be a FRIEND to the players and be their COACH.

Mitch does a better job of this than Nagy, but the poor guy still doesn't put the bass in his voice and kinda avoids eye contact with the media sometimes. Hopefully, and I want to be 1000% wrong about where my mind is with him, he's still around and matures into that.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:25 am

What I'm trying to say, and maybe I did a poor job of it, is that winning floats on shit. When the Cubs were winning and the Bears were winning, you could look disorganized or look like its party time and OK that's fine. When the shit is hitting the fan, now is not the time to have animals in the outfield or to be waiving his failed pet project TE for 12th time. Doesn't it look stupid that the whole Sowell thing blew up in his face?

I don't like the way Nagy handles losing. This smiling and aww shucks type crap during the press conference drives me batshit. I want some fire in the belly. He doesn't even have to give me Full Ditka, but dammit show me something that you're pissed and that this isn't acceptable. Stop trying to be a FRIEND to the players and be their COACH.

Mitch does a better job of this than Nagy, but the poor guy still doesn't put the bass in his voice and kinda avoids eye contact with the media sometimes. Hopefully, and I want to be 1000% wrong about where my mind is with him, he's still around and matures into that.
Da Fire and Da Passhun is overrated and means exactly nothing in the context of a press conference.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:25 am I don't like the way Nagy handles losing. This smiling and aww shucks type crap during the press conference drives me batshit. I want some fire in the belly. He doesn't even have to give me Full Ditka, but dammit show me something that you're pissed and that this isn't acceptable. Stop trying to be a FRIEND to the players and be their COACH.

Nothing personal, but:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:25 am I don't like the way Nagy handles losing. This smiling and aww shucks type crap during the press conference drives me batshit. I want some fire in the belly. He doesn't even have to give me Full Ditka, but dammit show me something that you're pissed and that this isn't acceptable. Stop trying to be a FRIEND to the players and be their COACH.

Nothing personal, but:

No offense taken. We’re talking sports.

@wab too.

I’m not there in the locker room or in practice the following week after a game. The only access I have is to watch these pressers. After a loss I’m usually seething especially with the nature of the losses we’ve had this year. I want to see Nagy get pissed off and stop trying to be everybody’s buddy and make excuses. Have some accountability. When I see him get up there an awwww shucks his way through a presser its like WTF is this guy’s problem?
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:02 pm
UOK wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 am

Nothing personal, but:

@wab too.

I’m not there in the locker room or in practice the following week after a game. The only access I have is to watch these pressers. After a loss I’m usually seething especially with the nature of the losses we’ve had this year. I want to see Nagy get pissed off and stop trying to be everybody’s buddy and make excuses. Have some accountability. When I see him get up there an awwww shucks his way through a presser its like WTF is this guy’s problem?
This is precisely why I don't come to the board until the day after the game and why I don't watch pressers until Wed at the earliest. I have to intentionally give myself the emotional down-time.
IE
Hall of Famer

He doesn't clear his locker in all this, and he's getting paid. They're just using him (and now Vaughters) to have the players they want available each week. They're kind of forced to do it. They have to waive them because of numbers. But they're really not being waived it is just being shifted on & off of the team and PS and how they need to handle it with Sowell I think not being eligible to be on the PS. So they're game -playing.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It seems pretty obvious to me what they're doing with Sowell. They think he can be a useful tool. But blocking at the TE position has different nuances than from G or T. And he's had one TC of being a receiver. They could've cut him loose and let him find another team to play OL for. Instead, they asked for a major commitment from him to lose 20-30 (which disqualifies him from being picked up anywhere else as an OL) and switch positions. In return, they said they'd keep him around on and off for a year to develop. That sounds like a plan to me, not a cluster. Will it work out? I don't know. But there's logic there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:34 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:02 pm

@wab too.

This is precisely why I don't come to the board until the day after the game and why I don't watch pressers until Wed at the earliest. I have to intentionally give myself the emotional down-time.
Me too a lot of the time this year.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:00 am He doesn't clear his locker in all this
I think it would kind of add to the ridiculous entertainment value of this game by having him coming and going from Halas Hall with a box of stuff twice a week.

:)

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Richie
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 am Humor? No. Ridiculousness? Yes.
Wow, you take this all way too seriously. lol