Wk 4 // CHICAGO BEARS vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:06 pm I'm being an asshole but what the fuck personal reason do you have for not playing in this God damned game?
I am sure it is more important than a game.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

britbear wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:57 pm Smith, Hicks, Long, Gabriel, Nichols and Mike Davis ALL inactive! Oh boy...
So who's going to play RG? Hmmm....
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears 22
Vikings 18
britbear
Player of the Month

On a positive note the Bears are looking awesome in their 1936 outfit.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
WP.1
Player of the Month

I can only say. Offense its time to step up.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:43 pm Rhyme Time!

This Sunday against Captain Kirk
Time for the Bears D to get to work
Roquan, Mack and Akiem Hicks
Nobody has bigger Dix
And Biscuit walks off the field with a smirk
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 am Game day Haiku:

Rainy by the lake
Dalvin Cook hits a brick wall
Mitch is a hero
As in Star Trek, the Vikings believe
The hero is Kirk, which is naive
Trekkies and Bears know
The real star of the show
Is Montgomery, the ace up our sleeve!
Bonus points for the double entendre with Scotty. Well played!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Time for Mitch to play like the #2 pick and make some plays. And Mr Mack its time for you to take over the game. Games like today are exactly why we traded for you. Was already worried about this game and its going to be even tougher now. Almost with you on predictions MikeFive, but im going to stay with my original prediction in hopes positivity works
Xee
Site Admin

britbear wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:52 pm Bad news. Roquan Smith downgraded to doubtful for "personal reasons". Step up Kwiatkoski. Not ideal if we're missing Smith and Hicks in the middle of our D.
I think Kwiatkowski heard you; he's really making plays.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Went prevent way too freaking early again
WagonForce
MVP

Bears defense is legit. Half the starters injured and a dominant performance just the same.

I hope Trubisky is ok but for now all I'm feeling is great about a huge divisional win.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The D can carry the a team against most teams. Ball control O, score at least 17 and good things will happen. Chase knows the O and can perform. Nagy needs to be more consistent. Not liking all the passes (I know the run game wasn't working) with your backup i there.
BR0D1E86
MVP

That was a gutty damn win. I still don’t like see this defense going to soft coverage in the 4th, but that was a hell of a defensive performance. Mack was dominant. Kwit was even flashing. The whole defensive line absolutely controlled that game. And ARob made some damned impressive catches. And let’s not forget Chase Daniels, who was just steady enough to keep drives alive.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 pm Went prevent way too freaking early again
AGREED!!^^^
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 pm The D can carry the a team against most teams. Ball control O, score at least 17 and good things will happen. Chase knows the O and can perform. Nagy needs to be more consistent. Not liking all the passes (I know the run game wasn't working) with your backup i there.
This D is so good. If the offense can put 14 points on the board, they will win 10 games. Minimum.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think Kwit played an awesome game! But, when you're playing against RSmith, what you don't want to test is his speed. So their game plan is more to test him with strength like running at him. But that's Kwit's strength. If you know Kwit is going to play, you make him run all over the place, playing to his speed weakness. But that wasn't their game plan, so it played right into Kwit's strength. Don't know if that made any sense. Can anyone say it clearer than my poor effort?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I was very disappointed in the Vikings. I thought they would come out with heart and fire after we kicked their a$$ to end their season in week 17 last year. But they're scared of us. And I guess they should be. I can't imagine they're happy with what they paid Cousins at this point.

wab
Mod

Good win. Should have been 30-something to nothing, but the defense was absolutely amazing today.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

How about Kwit, Williams and RRH all having sacks in a reserve role? Give all those guys the game ball!

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:41 pm Good win. Should have been 30-something to nothing, but the defense was absolutely amazing today.
I was really disappointed with the play calling in the 2nd half. I thought Daniel was playing really well, and could have led another two TD drives with a more aggressive strategy on offense. My fear is it's a false sense of security by Nagy in Mitch, and that Daniel is the back-up, so don't try too hard.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 pm I was very disappointed in the Vikings. I thought they would come out with heart and fire after we kicked their a$$ to end their season in week 17 last year. But they're scared of us. And I guess they should be. I can't imagine they're happy with what they paid Cousins at this point.
I believe you can point to the abuse their OL took and not put too much blame on Cousins. the guy had not time whatsoever. He was beat like a drum.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:41 pm How about Kwit, Williams and RRH all having sacks in a reserve role? Give all those guys the game ball!
I think they all balled out today. Who in the hell is Williams, and why do we have him? He was a beast today.

You are right about Kwit. The Vikings played right into his strength today, which is not necessarily Smith's strength. Kwitkowski had his best game as a bear today.
wab
Mod

I’ve been standing on the table for RRH so far this season. Guy is really good.

Nick Williams was also impressive today.

The Bears have GOT to do something about the run blocking.
Xee
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 pm Went prevent way too freaking early again
To be fair, it became pretty obvious there was no way the Vikings were going to win this game, prevent or no prevent.

Another thought, I wonder if a partial reason for our defense's amazing performance this game was because the offense was able to convert and give them a chance to rest.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:06 pm
To be fair, it became pretty obvious there was no way the Vikings were going to win this game, prevent or no prevent.

Another thought, I wonder if a partial reason for our defense's amazing performance this game was because the offense was able to convert and give them a chance to rest.
Here would be my point. They were getting absolutely nothing. I understand why you do it but if they happened to get that 2 point conversion it's a one possession game. Rest shouldn't have been a factor at all given the time of possession at that point of the game. The defense only got gassed because we backed off.

If we were 1 more point up I think it was the right time but I would have liked one more series prior to them playing soft. My fear is that it's going to bite them in the but one of these games and it surprised me after the 2nd half of the washington game.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

FWIW, Nagy said he didn't believe Mitch's injury is season ending.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:59 pm FWIW, Nagy said he didn't believe Mitch's injury is season ending.
Not season ending still means he could be out 6-8 weeks. If it's a torn labrum, it will be at least that.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mack seems more hilariously quotable this year...

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

White Nick and Black Nick :rofl:
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:31 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:59 pm FWIW, Nagy said he didn't believe Mitch's injury is season ending.
Not season ending still means he could be out 6-8 weeks. If it's a torn labrum, it will be at least that.
If it's a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. I don't even see why he would miss a practice. This coming from a guy who has torn both labrums.

It's painless and it hinders nothing except very slight range of motion (unnoticeable unless paying close attention to it) and your ability to throw. Trubisky doesn't throw with his left arm. Guys play with torn labrums every year. Miller played with one last year. Kyle Long played with one. I finished my last college baseball season off DH'ing with my labrum torn and it's still torn as I sit here now typing this post.

If he tore his labrum, that would be phenomenal news.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Random thoughts and I'm sorry but I need to rant about something....

1) This was one of those times where you're proud as hell to be a Bear fan and just proud as hell of a team. I love these guys. Every last damn one of them. The QB goes down roughly a half dozen plays into the game and what's the response? A defensive performance for the ages and for Chase Daniel to do exactly what he needed to do. Manage the game. Don't fuck up. Score just enough points to win. This team is loaded to the gills with ballers and guys who just flat out step up. I can't remember the last time I was this proud of a Bears team.

2) This defense is the best since the mid-80s. This unit is better than the Urlacher prime era and that's saying something. How in the blue hell does the opposing OC play for this defense? You fucking can't. You just hope to leave standing up. And to think that they play in an era where the rules are HEAVILY biased towards the offense. Imagine what they'd do under the old rules.

3) Biscuit going down just sucks. Whatever you think of him it just sucks. However if Daniel does what he does today we're not going to lose many games at all.

The next games are: Raiders (win), bye week, Saints (win), Chargers (win), and the Eagles (loss?). We go this.

The Rant....

The officiating in this game is now impeding the enjoyment of watching the game and its ruining it. Like many of you I've been a fan of not just the Bears but the NFL for a long time. Since I was as tall as a coffee table. I just gravitated towards this shit. In my 30+ years of watching the NFL I remember talking to people about the players: Payton, Singletary, Mack, Taylor, Neon Deion Sanders, and the list goes on and on. I don't ever remember going into school or work on Monday and saying oh wow that was really exciting when the refs called roughing on a ticky tack hit and put the offense into scoring position.

Today's refs come off to me as small, weak, petulant, white men on a power trip that get their rocks off by bullying people bigger than them and having the audacity to think that they are the reason why we watch this game. They remind me of a boss who feels threatened by a subordinates superior skillset, a teacher who enjoys yelling at children, or a traffic cop who throws the book at you because he had a fight with his wife that morning.

When I see a Bears player (Skrine?) get put into a reverse chokehold by a white Vikings player and then to see Eddie Jackson come over and shove that player, but then the flag only gets called on Eddie Jackson, it is really hard for me to not see that as racism. If that happened on the street in real life and a cop did that and a cellphone video emerges that's exactly what the public outcry would be. It should've been offsetting personal fouls. It's bad enough that the rules heavily favor protecting the (predominately) white QB at all costs, but then to have Mack get tackled on every play it is also hard for me to not see that as racism in the rules. The level of holding on Mack that doesn't get called is fucking insane and the refs and the league should be ashamed of themselves. I think its all to protect the investment the league makes in the fucking QB because for some reason they think the only thing we want to see is the QB so they can sell more shit. Even if that QB is Cousins and we all think he sucks.

It's also awfully convenient that after the Packers lose and the Bears have a divisional game that the refs come ready willing and able to throw flags for everything under the sun.