Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 am Personally, I'm not a big fan of Urlacher "the person". He's kinda douchy. Baby mamma's, hair replacement, and seems constantly offended by something or other. Seems to be a pretty negative person.

So I don't care much that he is put off that the Bears said Trubisky was "their guy" and then signed Foles anyways. Fuck him, our allegiance isn't to the player, it's to the team. Mitch put himself in this position with poor play, why should we all have to coddle his nutsack while he loses games for us?
I feel like this post has aged well...
Umbali
MVP

People will disagree with me on this.

I LOVE Urlacher. Why? As a player! I dont give a rat's ass about his thoughts on anything other than football.
Same with damn near any other athlete that I admire or root for.
The reason I feel this was actually has roots all the way back to Walter. I idolized him as a teenager. He is still my all time favorite athlete. Years after the fact you see some of his flaws. Uh yah...He was human and we all have flaws.

So I stopped worrying about what my favorite players/ actors etc have to say about every day real life shit. They have all for the most part lived lives that most of us can not call ordinary.

I will keep a special place in my heart for my favorite athletes and ignore their thoughts on any social issues.

Just like I dont want to hear what actors/actresses have to say about politics etc.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm People will disagree with me on this.

I LOVE Urlacher. Why? As a player! I dont give a rat's ass about his thoughts on anything other than football.
Same with damn near any other athlete that I admire or root for.
The reason I feel this was actually has roots all the way back to Walter. I idolized him as a teenager. He is still my all time favorite athlete. Years after the fact you see some of his flaws. Uh yah...He was human and we all have flaws.

So I stopped worrying about what my favorite players/ actors etc have to say about every day real life shit. They have all for the most part lived lives that most of us can not call ordinary.

I will keep a special place in my heart for my favorite athletes and ignore their thoughts on any social issues.

Just like I dont want to hear what actors/actresses have to say about politics etc.
Yea, I mean on some level you have to compartmentalize entertainers from who they are as people. Sometimes is more challenging and at done point there's a line where you might just say you won't cheer for that player due to their character.

That also means guys lose a lot of value the day they stop playing. If I've compartmentalized Urlacher the HOF LB from the person, then his value is near nil once his contributions are done on the field.

As it relates more broadly to character, while no one is perfect there is a range of human response in which people sincerely can be introspective and work towards being their best version of themselves through their flaws. Urlacher always struck me as a guy on the low end of that range. Hard to explain exactly what it is, but that's how he's always rubbed me.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Bigger fan of urlachers now then I use to be.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:35 pm
dplank wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 am Personally, I'm not a big fan of Urlacher "the person". He's kinda douchy. Baby mamma's, hair replacement, and seems constantly offended by something or other. Seems to be a pretty negative person.

So I don't care much that he is put off that the Bears said Trubisky was "their guy" and then signed Foles anyways. Fuck him, our allegiance isn't to the player, it's to the team. Mitch put himself in this position with poor play, why should we all have to coddle his nutsack while he loses games for us?
I feel like this post has aged well...
It has. He's a douche. And he's dumb as a brick.

It isn't possible to like him more than ever as a player because he's not playing any more. So it is only possible to like him more than ever because he is... um... unlikeable as a person. That's a "no" from me.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so what is next for Mitch?

he will be a free agent at the end of the season, yes? the Bears did not pick up his 5th year option ... so what is next for him?

he doesn't completely suck as some have said ... his bugaboo is his maddening inconsistency ... he can throw a 30 yard pass on a dime one play and throw a 10 yard out directly to a defender the next ... he has the arm to be successful, but seems to lack the field awareness for his arm to be effective

it is pretty obvious he is simply not the guy Nagy wants, and the Nagy offense is not a good fit for him ... so what offense is?

I would think it unlikely he will be pursued with gusto as a starter by another team, so he will have to seek the best backup situation ... I doubt he would do that to come back to the Bears ... the Bears said "thanks, but you're not our guy" so unless the Bears are the only team to offer him a deal, there is no way he is a Bear next season

so, where to?

Indianapolis perhaps? an aging high end veteran QB for him to learn from and be groomed to take over for in a few years ... that would be a nice situation for him if it happens

anyone else? who else has an aging starter in need of an understudy?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It's nigh on impossible to imagine the Bears wanting to keep Trubisky around as a backup or Trubisky wanting to remain in Chicago in that role.

The Bears will need to have another shot at finding a QB in the draft and look to have him as the No. 2 behind Foles while he develops. Trubisky needs to find a team where he might still get a shot at winning the starting job.

Given that, if a team with an injury/Covid ravaged QB room was to emerge during the season then it's possible they could trade a low pick for Trubisky. The Bears would have nothing to lose in accepting even a 7th rounder at this point.

Trubisky is still young and athletic with good arm-strength. He's shown he can play well at times including in clutch situations. He wouldn't be a bad choice for a backup and perhaps in a different scheme with a better playcaller, offensive line, running game and more reliable pass catchers his overall performance would improve. His best situation would either be a team with an aging veteran starter who won't be playing for much longer or a team with nothing at QB who will sign several guys in the hope that one emerges.

Of course, it's possible that Foles gets injured and Trubisky gets one final shot at turning his career trajectory around. Even a reasonable improvement in his game would help him garner interest as a free agent. In the unlikely scenario that he lights it up, what would the Bears do then I wonder? Trubisky is a high-character guy, but I can't imagine he would want to continue playing for Nagy after all that's happened.
G08
Hall of Famer

Unless something happens to Foles (injured or pulled for poor performance), I think it's safe to say Trubisky's career is over in Chicago.

He's a talented kid who couldn't produce what was needed in this offense (looks like Wentz has a career 90.8 rating in this offense, but I digress) but I'm sure another team will kick the tires on him. Kid is still only 26 years old so he'll be a backup somewhere unless another team wants to give him a shot to compete or be their starter.

I hope it's here, I hope he gets another shot and lights it up... but let's be real, he's done in Chicago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

Do we get compensatory credit if Mitch signs elsewhere this offseason?
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm Do we get compensatory credit if Mitch signs elsewhere this offseason?
Depends on the $$$, I would guess no.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

If he goes to the right team, I think he'll be successful.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm Do we get compensatory credit if Mitch signs elsewhere this offseason?
I'm guessing yes.

When you take the 5th year option, then rescind, you don't.
But I think if you decline the 5th, you do.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:22 am

I'm guessing yes.

Well, they changed the rule. So he probably won't. Although the timing of when the new rule begins is a little unclear.

Prior to the 2020 CBA, players who have options declined by their former teams qualified for the compensatory formula, even though the team had a method to keep them under contract. For one example, see Donte Stallworth in 2009, who qualified in favor of New England despite having an option on his contract declined. However, the 2020 has closed the loophole. However, App. V, §8 now makes explicit that such players, as well as any player who does not complete the “Maximum Possible Term” of the contract will not be eligible to become CFAs. This similarly applies to any player whose contract was shortened via renegotiation.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:45 pm
so, where to?

Indianapolis perhaps? an aging high end veteran QB for him to learn from and be groomed to take over for in a few years ... that would be a nice situation for him if it happens

I wouldn't want him as the heir apparent to an aging starter.

I'd only be interested in these scenarios:
  • Not-old & not-young starter. Strong playoff contender. Looking for an affordable high-end backup.
  • Bad team looking to tank. Need a placeholder starter.
I bet some team who has no real starter plays the desperate sucker and brings him in as 1 of 2 marginally competent guys to compete, though.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:31 am
Boris13c wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:45 pm
so, where to?

I wouldn't want him as the heir apparent to an aging starter.

I'd only be interested in these scenarios:
  • Not-old & not-young starter. Strong playoff contender. Looking for an affordable high-end backup.
  • Bad team looking to tank. Need a placeholder starter.
I bet some team who has no real starter plays the desperate sucker and brings him in as 1 of 2 marginally competent guys to compete, though.
I'd expect the Marcus Mariota treatment, they are roughly equivalent fails.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:22 am

I'm guessing yes.

I should clarify: depending on the $$$ we would, but I don't think he will command that kind of $$$.

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:11 am If he goes to the right team, I think he'll be successful.
He's perfect for the 49ers and Titans, IMO. Hell, Foles left throws out on the field last week that I know and have seen Trubisky hit. So irritating.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:03 pm
wab wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:11 am If he goes to the right team, I think he'll be successful.
He's perfect for the 49ers and Titans, IMO. Hell, Foles left throws out on the field last week that I know and have seen Trubisky hit. So irritating.
Niners and the Raiders were my first thoughts. Titans make a lot of sense. Maybe the Saints too, but he's going to have to clean up that deep accuracy for Sean Payton to want anything to do with him.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

I think we can finally put this to rest. Foles is better.

Told ya. :)
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Teddy KGB wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:24 pm I think we can finally put this to rest. Foles is better.

Lol, no. He really isn't.

And staking any of the team's future on him, even just the rest of this season is. a. big. mistake.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

KOP_Snake wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:44 am
Teddy KGB wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:24 pm I think we can finally put this to rest. Foles is better.

Lol, no. He really isn't.

And staking any of the team's future on him, even just the rest of this season is. a. big. mistake.
Agreed, nick looked pretty much like dogshit for 75% of that game.

Then made a couple big plays, but got bailed out by a penalty and a lineman jumping on a fumble along the way.

Sounds eerily similar to our other qb.

It’s a W and a good W, but this was in no way a ringing endorsement win for anyone on offense.
IE
Hall of Famer

I always liked to compare 10 to Harbaugh, where he was brutal for years but did end up having a couple of good years after leaving the Bears and being in the right situation in Indy. So Indy would be perfect for Mitch - with a strong Oline and running game. And I wouldn't mind it & would cheer for him there because I've always kind of liked the Colts.

I personally don't think 10 ever threw great passes. He has a strong arm - but his use of it is limited. He's super inaccurate when he's asked to be anything other than textbook/mechanical. If throwing "dimes" means only being able to throw to a precise spot, and almost never being able to throw with touch or hit a guy in stride... you can have all the dimes. I got SO sick of hearing "well, Anthony Miller was a yard deeper than he should have been". Seriously? Give me a QB who is more like a hoops point guard, and you can keep the fastball thrower. Just my take.

Watching the Chargers trot Herbert out there and seeing him immediately step in and hit guys in stride... and I thought "that is why 10 isn't a good NFL QB".
Z Bear
MVP

I have always compared Mitch to Alex Smith, similar skillset coming out of Utah and struggled adapting to the NFL because he could not read defenses. So it will probably click for Mitch in 2028, when he is on his 5th or 6th team.
IE
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:25 am I have always compared Mitch to Alex Smith, similar skillset coming out of Utah and struggled adapting to the NFL because he could not read defenses. So it will probably click for Mitch in 2028, when he is on his 5th or 6th team.
Aren't they the opposite? Isn't Alex Smith a weaker-armed accurate QB?
Z Bear
MVP

Smith got by on his legs more than his arm, he put up big numbers in Urban Myer's spread before Myer left for Florida. Here is a quote from 2012 as to why Smith was struggling...

If you read Alex Smith's scouting profile from before the 2005 NFL draft, his biggest weakness was that he didn't throw deep passes as a quarterback in college. Not much has changed since then, as Smith will regularly check-down to a running back or look for the nearest tight end.

On the rare occasion that Smith does throw the long ball, it often flutters in the air, losing its trajectory. When the ball does retain its spiral, it's regularly overthrown or under-thrown in relation to the target. In either case, Smith's ball is difficult to catch.

Gee...who does that sound like?
IE
Hall of Famer

I see what you're saying, and yes to the "uses his legs" part. I considered Smith's issues with the deep ball was arm weakness. He is very accurate otherwise. Mitch, OTOH, is inaccurate everywhere. He's like Mitch Williams out there - he can blaze it, but it will likely be a bit wild. 10 is pretty decent at "throwing to a spot" even deep. But that is to a fault, IMO, and if the receiver isn't in the exact spot well that's it.
WP.1
Player of the Month

Since Day 1 (Mitch College game tape) I compare him to Marcus Mariota. Mariota a better runner (fast), Mitch a slight better passer.

Another reason never had any true hope for "franchise quarterback".
dplank
Hall of Famer

We have rightfully moved on after years of waiting on Mitch. I'm over it and see no need to bash the kid. But anyone who defended Mitch and wants to gripe about Foles after: new team, no offseason, shortened preseason splitting reps, etc needs to have their head examined. We gave Mitch 3+ years, we can give Foles the rest of this one and see what he has. It's crystal clear that Mitch didn't "win" the job in our abbreviated camp, there was simply no real chance for any other outcome given the circumstances.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:45 pm 10 is pretty decent at "throwing to a spot" even deep. But that is to a fault, IMO, and if the receiver isn't in the exact spot well that's it.
You have to wonder if that's how he's been coached. He seems to be the sort of guy who tries to do everything precisely as he's told and is constrained by that. Being a 'reps guy' is one of the labels he's had. He's also played his best football when he's had to cut loose either buying time with his feet or at the end of a half/game, i.e. the situations where he doesn't follow the 'rules'.

Foles on the other hand is a veteran gunslinger type who has the experience and personality to throw balls his way and to stand up to the coach, as we saw on the sideline against Tampa Bay. I can't imagine meek Mitch having such an animated exchange with Nagy. Nor can I imagine Chase Daniels doing it because a journeyman backup can't afford to risk his job by upsetting his coach. Maybe seeing how Foles interacts with Nagy will show Trubisky how to stand up for himself.

The relationship between Nagy and Trubisky has always felt like master and apprentice or a boy desperately wanting to please a father-figure and earn his respect, whereas Foles sees himself and Nagy as equals.