Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

Maybe Nagy isn't in 10's face/head because of 10. Maybe it is because that's what Nagy, the ex QB, just fundamentally is as a coach. Maybe that's why there is no way he'll give up play calling - because he'd like to be out on the field, but since he can't he wants to be as close as he can possibly get (in the head of the QB, and making decisions). Maybe 10's body just can't do what Nagy's brain is telling it to do.

I like when people make me re-visit my thinking on players. My mind wouldn't change about 10's accuracy or vision... which are not great. But the "headlight deer" part of 10 that I absolutely do NOT want as my team's QB actually could be mostly a function of Nagy's coaching style.

Remember when Ditka was in Harbaugh's head and Harbaugh looked shell shocked? I always kinda see that in 10. I could definitely see 10 growing up and playing much better in a more athletic QB-friendly (versus cerebral and "instinct-demanding") offense like Tennessee. There may not be much difference between 10 and Tanny. Tanny would fail under Nagy too.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:33 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:20 pm Trubisky's left shoulder, his words, is at 100% and feels better/stronger than before he had hurt it.
Better?

:rofl:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hey I found something even worse than the trubisky/Brees grasping at straws... James/Peyton grasping at straws!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

dplank
Hall of Famer

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Urlacher "the person". He's kinda douchy. Baby mamma's, hair replacement, and seems constantly offended by something or other. Seems to be a pretty negative person.

So I don't care much that he is put off that the Bears said Trubisky was "their guy" and then signed Foles anyways. Fuck him, our allegiance isn't to the player, it's to the team. Mitch put himself in this position with poor play, why should we all have to coddle his nutsack while he loses games for us?
Xee
Site Admin

Agree with you on all points, @dplank . If anything, Urlacher's time in the league should afford him the experience that the NFL is a business above all else, and like any job these days, loyalty doesn't exist. Coaches can sing your praises one day and then cut you the next.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

OH HELL YEAH DOG PILE ON URLACHER! Honestly it ALWAYS bugged me that he was a turd. I think that old Bas Ruten story really summed up the kind of guy he was. Briggs was a turd too, though not quite as bad, and it always felt really laid bare with Peanut being such an exemplary dude. If I loved anybody on those old Lovie teams (besides my fav bear ever Mike Brown OF COURSE) it was Peanut because there was zero cognitive dissonance in doing so. He was the polar opposite of Url and a guy who I'd actually like to hear his opinion on a range of subjects.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I used to love Urlacher until he retired, claiming that he would play for any other team in the league BUT the Bears for the 2 million they offered him. Fuck that shit. The Bears had always treated him really well, renegotiating his contract several times in order to keep the value in line with the market, and then he does that? Hated him then.

Now though, I'm over it. Don't hate him, or like him. Just feel kind of "ehn." And that's how I felt when he was inducted to the Hall. Just pretty much indifferent to him now.

So he said that Orton was his favorite QB and he made some comments on our current QB situation? "Ehn…, so what..., don't care...." Yawn.
UOK
Site Admin

I'd take Trubisky over Orton ten times out of ten. Orton's numbers were absolute dogshit, and his best attribute was taking a hit and not getting shook or injured.

Urlacher's a legend and all that, but I could give a fuck about his opinions on offense.
G08
Hall of Famer

Orton fucking sucks. I hate this franchise sometimes.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Rookie Orton was God awful. He did eventually become the QB Urlacher described, after Chicago. 2008 Orton was [arguably[/i] better than 2009 Jay though, which was Jay's worst year. It was classic good Jay / bad Jay. Thing is that was the year Urlacher went down Q1 of game 1 and missed the whole season. And was pre-Peppers. So it was a very middling D. Without occasional "good Jay" and game manager Orton instead that team probably wins 2-3 games. But 2009 also ended up being a pretty crappy 1st round so they likely didn't miss out on too much with a potential top 5 pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

Let's say Nick Foles wins the job and keeps it for the next 3 seasons, averages a TD to INT ratio around 2:1 and QB rating of 89.

Are we happy?

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

64 pages ... and counting

I would like for the Bears to have a stable decent QB presence for longer than a couple of years at a time at some point before I die ... I would like to experience at least once what other teams fans have had in such abundance the assholes take it for granted

everyone talked about the curse of the Billy Goat preventing the Cubs from having success for eons ... so what is the curse on the Bears QB position, and who put it on them?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 pm Let's say Nick Foles wins the job and keeps it for the next 3 seasons, averages a TD to INT ratio around 2:1 and QB rating of 89.

Are we happy?
No, I'll be pining fit the next QB.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:10 pm 64 pages ... and counting

I would like for the Bears to have a stable decent QB presence for longer than a couple of years at a time at some point before I die ... I would like to experience at least once what other teams fans have had in such abundance the assholes take it for granted

everyone talked about the curse of the Billy Goat preventing the Cubs from having success for eons ... so what is the curse on the Bears QB position, and who put it on them?

You don't know the Curse of Layne, Lujack, and Blanda?

Back in 1949, Sid Luckman was near the end of his career. The Bears had drafted Johnny Lujack back in '46 with the fourth overall pick in the draft. Lujack had led Notre Dame to three National Championships (losing only one game in three years) and had also served in the war. Lujack was the backup to Luckman.

In 1948, the Bears drafted Layne with the third overall pick. Layne, seeing that Lujack was probably the heir apparent, demanded a trade, and Papa Bear traded him to the New York Bulldogs for 50K and the Bulldogs first round pick. After one year, the Bulldogs traded Layne to Detroit on the condition that the Lions pay the 50K. Layne went on to win three Championships with the Lions.

Lujack played four years for the Bears, '48-'52. He was the passing leader in '49 and set a record for rushing TDs by a QB with 11 and three for six TDs in a game. He was All Pro in '50 and '51. He had a knee injury in 52 and retired to coach Notre Dame after that and a contract dispute with Halas.

Halas always hated Blanda because he only like him as a kicker and was always in contract squabbles with him. At one point, fans in the stands were calling for Blanda, so Halas called him over and as Blanda put his helmet on, Halas signaled to the stands and said, "go up there, they want you." lol. Blanda retired and unretired to play in the AFL in 1960 where he won three Championships with the Oilers and had a miracle season with the Raiders in 1970.

The Bears effectively had three of the best QBs in the league on their roster at the same time and squandered them. The curse seemed to have an immediate impact as Halas took Bob Williams from Notre Dame with the second pick in the draft in '52, neglecting Y.A. Tittle who went third. Williams was an abysmal failure and Halas swore to never draft a QB in the first again. And he didn't for 30 years until we took McMahon in '82.

Ironically, Layne was also associated with a Lions curse who when the traded him to Pittsburgh, said "The Lions will never win a Championship again." And they haven't....
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm

Back in 1949, Sid Luckman was near the end of his career. The Bears had drafted Johnny Lujack back in '46 with the fourth overall pick in the draft. Lujack had led Notre Dame to three National Championships (losing only one game in three years) and had also served in the war. Lujack was the backup to Luckman.

In 1948, the Bears drafted Layne with the third overall pick. Layne, seeing that Lujack was probably the heir apparent, demanded a trade, and Papa Bear traded him to the New York Bulldogs for 50K and the Bulldogs first round pick. After one year, the Bulldogs traded Layne to Detroit on the condition that the Lions pay the 50K. Layne went on to win three Championships with the Lions.

Lujack played four years for the Bears, '48-'52. He was the passing leader in '49 and set a record for rushing TDs by a QB with 11 and three for six TDs in a game. He was All Pro in '50 and '51. He had a knee injury in 52 and retired to coach Notre Dame after that and a contract dispute with Halas.

Halas always hated Blanda because he only like him as a kicker and was always in contract squabbles with him. At one point, fans in the stands were calling for Blanda, so Halas called him over and as Blanda put his helmet on, Halas signaled to the stands and said, "go up there, they want you." lol. Blanda retired and unretired to play in the AFL in 1960 where he won three Championships with the Oilers and had a miracle season with the Raiders in 1970.

The Bears effectively had three of the best QBs in the league on their roster at the same time and squandered them. The curse seemed to have an immediate impact as Halas took Bob Williams from Notre Dame with the second pick in the draft in '52, neglecting Y.A. Tittle who went third. Williams was an abysmal failure and Halas swore to never draft a QB in the first again. And he didn't for 30 years until we took McMahon in '82.

Ironically, Layne was also associated with a Lions curse who when the traded him to Pittsburgh, said "The Lions will never win a Championship again." And they haven't....
Damn, good stuff. Never knew this little history lesson.

The bolded definitely isn't a curse, just bad management!
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 pm Let's say Nick Foles wins the job and keeps it for the next 3 seasons, averages a TD to INT ratio around 2:1 and QB rating of 89.

Are we happy?
That's a good question. We've covered the whole "averages" thing here before - but in a thousand pages points get lost.

I can't answer it based on averages, because averages can be highly misleading. They don't have to be, if a player is very consistent. But they can be, like what we saw with Mitch where his average makes him look like a threat to win any game but in reality his median performance was far below his averages. He never really played much at the level of his "average" - he either dramatically outperformed his average (in just a few games), or was quite bad.

If those are the median numbers I'll probably be very happy. That would mean the middle TD performance was 2 TDs (8 games of 2 or more) and the middle INT performance would be only 1 INT ( 8 games of 1 or fewer INTs). I'd imagine that would mean a TD count of 30 or more , because you wouldn't throw 2 or more in 8 games and not even 1 in the other 8. (note: I don't believe a 2:1 could lead to a median rating of 89... pretty sure it would be much higher.)

Yeah - I'd want a 2:1 Median guy for sure.
G08
Hall of Famer

Those are essentially Foles' career numbers... 61.9%, 71 TDs/35 INTs, 7.0 YPA 88.2 rating (48 starts)

Trubisky in Nagy's offense: 64.7%, 42 TDs/22 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 88.7 rating (29 starts)

Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Are we happy?

I think that would stabilize the QB position. I think we all would be generally happy, although we also would realize that we need a replacement for Foles and need to take another stab at the Franchise QB thing (and I think even those who support Foles in the Foles vs Trubisky competition would say that now).

With our defense, you are looking for Foles to be a stabilizing force on offense that allows the chains to move, to score at least 24 a game, chew up times of possession and not turn the ball over so our defense can kill the opposition.

Anything beyond that is a cherry on top.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

G08 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:07 pm Those are essentially Foles' career numbers... 61.9%, 71 TDs/35 INTs, 7.0 YPA 88.2 rating (48 starts)

Trubisky in Nagy's offense: 64.7%, 42 TDs/22 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 88.7 rating (29 starts)
I get what you are saying, but do me a favor - can you calculate what Foles had while with the Eagles and Chiefs?

Curious what the stats would be in that system.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Ok, so I did it myself - I took out the Jags and Rams.

Why? Because I only wanted to include Foles' numbers in systems that are similar to what the Bears run.

That's 6 seasons - 5 with Philly, 1 with KC.

What I got?

63.13%, 61 TDs/23 INTs, 7.08 YPA, 93.5 rating (43 starts)

Rating boosts up as does YPA when you factor systems in.

No arguing that from the stats, they are very similar. Both average 1.4 TDs per game the way I calculate it.

But the higher QB rating is one of those "hidden" stats - Foles is a little more efficient, which means the offense controlls TOP more, which results in keeping the defense off the field more, which in turn boosts their performance.

THAT is the edge he has on Mitch.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Me? I want Trubs to see the light, break this QB curse, and become our franchise QB. I still hold out hope.
G08
Hall of Famer

Teddy KGB wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 pm
G08 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:07 pm Those are essentially Foles' career numbers... 61.9%, 71 TDs/35 INTs, 7.0 YPA 88.2 rating (48 starts)

I get what you are saying, but do me a favor - can you calculate what Foles had while with the Eagles and Chiefs?

Curious what the stats would be in that system.
Pretty small sample size with the Chiefs, but with the Eagles he compiled: 62.9% 58 TDs, 23 INTs, 7.3 YPA, 93.2 rating

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm

thank you for that response

I knew of the Bobby Layne trade but his curse was on the Lions, not the Bears, and it still exists it seems

the Lujak story is typical Bears ... great player with career ending prematurely by injury

and good old Gearge Blanda ... history shows dumping him was a serious error in judgement by Papa Bear

but I guess this trio did start something going wrong at the QB position for the Bears ... want to get depressed? go look up the cast of characters the Bears have had at the position since Lujak retired
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
docc
Head Coach

No..I just ate..not taking a chance
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

IE
Hall of Famer

Oh boy.

Lots of indictment of the line. But also 10. I think the truth is there is a symbiotic relationship that really struggled last year... the QB gains confidence from the line but the line also plays better when they have confidence in the QB's ability to make plays and good decisions.

I was surprised to learn that the Bears were only 18th in QB pressure (against them). That sort of takes away a lot of arguments that 10 didn't have opportunity because of the line.

I'm dying to see who starts. I'm going to guess it is 10 - especially with no preseason. But given that, I'm also going to guess he'll be on a short rope (like a single half of a game, vs the 3-4 I was previously guessing).
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think this makes sense to me (not that I agree with it - just how I see it happening)

I think they start the year with Mitch. And there will be no protection for him Re: Running. In 2018 it was probably (definitely?) the best part of his game AND it really made him a legitimate solid QB (2019? Ummmm yeah)

So I think nothing going to be left in the tank

Which also means I think you will see Foles at some point because Mitch will get hurt