Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

I was pretty irritated this morning when I read The Athletic's "Best/Worst 1st Rounders" for each NFL franchise in the 2010s.

The Bears best 1st rounder was Kyle Fuller - a fair pick! The worst? Mitchell Trubisky?!

When you have Kevin White and Shea McClellin, two players who are out of the NFL and amounted to NOTHING, yet because Mitch is having a shitty season they're already talking about the guy like he's dead. "It hurts so much more when you miss on a quarterback."

SHEA MC-FUCKING-CLELLEN. KEVIN FUCKING WHITE. Those! Those are busts! Those are easily the worst picks! Pick one!

I thought The Athletic was better than that, but in the case of this article, certainly not.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It's what is new, what is current, what the masses know. They don't care about the Bears fans, they are focusing on the NFL fan. The NFL fan can't remember Shea or White (for the fact that they were busts and disappeared early in their non existent careers).

Not surprised someone would write that. Pretty much why I don't go looking at a lot of sports articles, magazines.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:35 am I was pretty irritated this morning when I read The Athletic's "Best/Worst 1st Rounders" for each NFL franchise in the 2010s.

The Bears best 1st rounder was Kyle Fuller - a fair pick! The worst? Mitchell Trubisky?!

When you have Kevin White and Shea McClellin, two players who are out of the NFL and amounted to NOTHING, yet because Mitch is having a shitty season they're already talking about the guy like he's dead. "It hurts so much more when you miss on a quarterback."

SHEA MC-FUCKING-CLELLEN. KEVIN FUCKING WHITE. Those! Those are busts! Those are easily the worst picks! Pick one!

I thought The Athletic was better than that, but in the case of this article, certainly not.

it isn't about actual investigation of facts and good reporting with any of these yahoos ... it is all about what gets clicks and recognition, so they don't really care if the tripe they put out has any legitimacy or value ... only that it somehow garners attention

it's gotten pretty sad ... even once respected writers and publications are now generic brainless shit
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Maybe their perspective wasn't the relative bad-ness of the players, but how bad it was given the position in the draft and position drafted.

You draft a WR or a LB and they bust it really isn't a disaster. But blow a #2 QB pick, and it can be ridiculously bad. So even though a player is "better" than others, he could be considered more of a disaster to the team.

Interestingly, it is definitely better to have a guy be a slow starter and be like Mitch than have him catch lightning in a bottle for a season or two like Goff - only to have it revealed that it was more the system than him (and the scheme has been figured out). That's a what? 5-6 year, $110 million guaranteed disaster? If the Rams can't figure that out, they're in worse shape than the Bears.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:35 am I was pretty irritated this morning when I read The Athletic's "Best/Worst 1st Rounders" for each NFL franchise in the 2010s.

Best: Kyle Fuller
Worst: Gee let me think....LEONARD FLOYD!
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 pm
Richie
MVP

What pick hurt the franchise more? I think it's rather clearly Trubisky.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't think you can say 10 hurt them more, YET.

McClellin was cut/traded, hell I can't remember.

White cut

10 will not get cut, he may not get resigned after next year, but his story is not over yet.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:32 am
G08 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 pm The vitriol you guys have is misplaced here... it's sad.

2002-2005 league average was 80.5
2017-2019 league average is 90.2

Would you like a ratio including those numbers?

Brees was 1.00 while Trubisky is 0.947

Clearly I'm deceiving the masses doing these weekly updates. Zero context provided in these game-for-game direct comparisons. You got me.

Dude, don't let it get to you.
Oh it's not, man. At all. Nothing I can do if some fans can't comprehend the concept of young QBs developing in an offense / scheme that is different from what they did in college. The literal game-by-game comparison of Trubisky to the player who our GM said is the Gold Standard for QB play is not some arbitrary reference point.

It's funny seeing some of these responses across various boards. More here than others, unfortunately.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Wounded Bear
MVP

Richie wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 pm

What pick hurt the franchise more? I think it's rather clearly Trubisky.
This.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Best: Kyle Fuller
you know, when you think about it, if shea had panned out, we wouldnt have to have drafted floyd, which lead to trading for mack....
IE
Hall of Famer

LOL. As if Floyd could play both sides even if he was a perennial probowler. I love revisionist history. Let me give it a shot here....

If the Bears drafted Mike Williams instead of Cedric Benson just think of it - they could have kept TJ and won multiple superbowls even if BMW was just a 300 lb occasional target. Then with multiple superbowls behind Rex Grossman and his successor local favorite Kirk Cousins, and also TJ and his successor Matt Forte, Lovie would still be coaching the Bears and Jay Cutler would have never become a Bear. And then Greg Olsen would have been a Bear the whole time too. And then with all that success on offense the Bears would have still been using top picks on defense for the last 10 years... leading to Floyd AND Mac still being on the team.

There - that story is better. Because if you're making up history, make sure to throw in a few superbowl wins for chrisssake.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The past is the past, move on, you can't change it.

As I tell my clients, don't worry about things you can't control, it is a waste of time, stress and energy.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I still think Trubisky can be a successful QB ... but he needs to grow some balls

right now he is playing like a robot ... 3 stop drop, must throw HERE regardless of coverage ... 5 step drop, must throw HERE regardless of coverage ... 7 step drop ... ok, you get the picture

he seems to be ignoring his own instincts ... when he doesn't and he moves a bit to get comfortable and fires a strike to someone, we see what he can be ... but when he does that only 30% of the game, it is a recipe for failure

how many times have we seen him drop back, plant, and the receiver is breaking open but instead of hitting that throw, he hesitates and then either throws late when the receiver is no longer open of throws elsewhere to a receiver who was never in the play or open at any time

he has to do a self assessment to correct this ... he has to get back to playing with some sort of flow with options rather than pre-determined throws which are mostly leading to failure ... I don't think any amount of coaching or play calls can correct this flaw ... he has to do it ... so can he? will he? how he handles that determines if he will be a successful starting QB or the next journeyman with ability he never really learned how to use
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I like his demeanor at the podium lately. Bristly and cold. No more of the laughing and smiling jokester. It's time to get down to business and he seems to know it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 pm I still think Trubisky can be a successful QB ... but he needs to grow some balls

right now he is playing like a robot ... 3 stop drop, must throw HERE regardless of coverage ... 5 step drop, must throw HERE regardless of coverage ... 7 step drop ... ok, you get the picture

he seems to be ignoring his own instincts ... when he doesn't and he moves a bit to get comfortable and fires a strike to someone, we see what he can be ... but when he does that only 30% of the game, it is a recipe for failure

how many times have we seen him drop back, plant, and the receiver is breaking open but instead of hitting that throw, he hesitates and then either throws late when the receiver is no longer open of throws elsewhere to a receiver who was never in the play or open at any time

he has to do a self assessment to correct this ... he has to get back to playing with some sort of flow with options rather than pre-determined throws which are mostly leading to failure ... I don't think any amount of coaching or play calls can correct this flaw ... he has to do it ... so can he? will he? how he handles that determines if he will be a successful starting QB or the next journeyman with ability he never really learned how to use
I too still think Trubisky can be successful. Will he be a HOF QB absolutely not, but he can be a successful starter and potential probowler.

I really don't think the problem is him. Yes he has flaws but the god damn game plan is downright horrid. Even today's game against a shit team the playcalling was atrocious.

Take away 8 passes and give them to Monty and that is probably a two score game. 7 runs for him at halftime and 16 total for the game is pure bullshit when you are basically imposing your will every time you run it with him.

I really am beginning to think not having any production at TE is a large part of what has totally screwed up Nagy, aside from his tendancy to not stick with the run.

Get rid of the gadget/midget players, let robinson, miller, wims and ridley play WR, figure out TE, let patterson be "the" return guy, trade cohen or utilize him properly as a scat back that mostly runs routes.

Do you cut your losses with Burton?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:59 pm
Do you cut your losses with Burton?
Unfortunately, due to a bad contract, you have to pay him either way, so you might as well let him try to be one of your options.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Consistent play is what I want to see. Dallas is no Kitty D so, he needs to come out and ball against them. It will be much tougher all around. He will need to be quicker with his decisions and he may have to run more.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 pm I still think Trubisky can be a successful QB ... but he needs to grow some balls

The interception he gave up yesterday was all on him. The receiver was coming open, Mitch hesitated and then threw it AFTER he came open, which was too late. That's one of Mitch's biggest issues, is anticipatory throws. Which is really weird, because sometimes he does it, and throws a dart, right on the money, and other times he hesitates and fucks it up. I don't get it.

Maybe this is what it's like to develop a franchise QB. I don't know, we don't know, The Bears have never really done it.
Richie
MVP

Really a good, clean and solid game from Mitch. The INT wasn't all that horrible either. Throw was behind Robinson instead of out in front but Slay is an aggressive DB and made a good play. It will happen. Should have had more points on the scoreboard if it wasn't for Nagy's dumb decision to forego a 46 yard field goal indoors to go for it on 4th and 6. Along with dumb flags causing drives to stall. I also will never understand why Mitch ran backwards laterally for more yardage instead of just diving forward for the first down at the end of the 1st half... but oh well.

The two throws to Miller on the final drive were legitimately clutch and legitimately great touch passes.

Has to be some perspective that this was the spiraling and pathetic Lions, though. Do this against Dallas and GB. Maybe we are onto something.

I'll gently give a tip of the cap for now.... but I'm not counting on a repeat performance until I see a reason.
Richie
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:48 pm

The interception he gave up yesterday was all on him. The receiver was coming open, Mitch hesitated and then threw it AFTER he came open, which was too late. That's one of Mitch's biggest issues, is anticipatory throws. Which is really weird, because sometimes he does it, and throws a dart, right on the money, and other times he hesitates and fucks it up. I don't get it.

Maybe this is what it's like to develop a franchise QB. I don't know, we don't know, The Bears have never really done it.
The INT was 100% his fault. However, it's an INT that you see often. Even established QB's will make a throw a little late like that. I think a bigger problem was that it wasn't out in front of Robinson. But again... that was forgivable. IMO.

It wasn't one of the "WTF" INT's that he threw vs NYG. That's progress, I guess.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i do think it's kind of crazy that since the hip injury he hasnt been sailing balls over wr's heads and it's weird that no one's talking about how that's affected his mechanics.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:17 pm Really a good, clean and solid game from Mitch. The INT wasn't all that horrible either. Throw was behind Robinson instead of out in front but Slay is an aggressive DB and made a good play. It will happen. Should have had more points on the scoreboard if it wasn't for Nagy's dumb decision to forego a 46 yard field goal indoors to go for it on 4th and 6. Along with dumb flags causing drives to stall. I also will never understand why Mitch ran backwards laterally for more yardage instead of just diving forward for the first down at the end of the 1st half... but oh well.

The two throws to Miller on the final drive were legitimately clutch and legitimately great touch passes.

Has to be some perspective that this was the spiraling and pathetic Lions, though. Do this against Dallas and GB. Maybe we are onto something.

I'll gently give a tip of the cap for now.... but I'm not counting on a repeat performance until I see a reason.
That's fair.

On the run where he missed the first down by heading toward the sideline instead of just diving ahead for the stick, you have to wonder if the bad shoulder and hip wasn't a factor.

That's gets to something that doesn't get talked about much. Biscuit certainly has a level of toughness that is hard to deny. He tried to play thru the hip pointer. He got his head recoiled into the turf on a sack and came right back into the game after a tent visit. He deserves credit for that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:59 pm i do think it's kind of crazy that since the hip injury he hasnt been sailing balls over wr's heads and it's weird that no one's talking about how that's affected his mechanics.
I noticed on some balls he's throwing it a bit differently, but didn't look into it too much. What I loved seeing yesterday was him getting the ball out in the rhythm of his drops. Beautiful. Hell of a game winning drive too!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:41 pm
RustyTrubisky wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:59 pm i do think it's kind of crazy that since the hip injury he hasnt been sailing balls over wr's heads and it's weird that no one's talking about how that's affected his mechanics.
I noticed on some balls he's throwing it a bit differently, but didn't look into it too much. What I loved seeing yesterday was him getting the ball out in the rhythm of his drops. Beautiful. Hell of a game winning drive too!
Maybe because they don't have midgets (like Gabriel) running deep routes the last couple weeks?
WagonForce
MVP

Watching Blough for the Lions this game, I was impressed at how poised he looked in the pocket and how his confidence seemed to soar after he found some success. It sure looked to me like he was having fun out there while simultaneously benefiting from low expectations (as low as expectations can be for a QB starting a game in the NFL that is).

Blough also had a much better pocket to throw from than Mitch, who also has the weight of the world on his shoulders from his draft position, the expectations surrounding the team, the offense, etc.

I'm starting to think that while Mitch is far from perfect, we may have reason to hope he's better than we've seen and perhaps, considerably better than we've seen.

The offensive line has been trash, which has hurt the passing game directly by providing less time to set and read the field and indirectly by limiting the rushing attack. The coaching staff has shown disregard for how decisions might affect player confidence (Eddy Piniero anyone?), appears to have been stubborn on making adjustments to set players up for success, and in general has seem disorganized which only piles up distractions that hamper both individual and team performance. Then there's the drops, sometimes exacerbated by sub-optimal throws to be sure, but they have definitely not helped Mitch accrue positive stats nor have they helped him feel confident or loosen up.

As I go through these items in my mind, it definitely seems plausible that both 1) Blough is a not so great player who, in the right situation, could look good or even great and 2) Mitch is a good or even potentially great player who, in a bad situation, could look poor or even terrible.

I could just be making excuses for the guy but I find myself wondering just how much of the offensive woes we can pin on Mitch.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Maybe because they don't have midgets (like Gabriel) running deep routes the last couple weeks?
I really can't fault anyone on the staff for having Taylor Gabriel out there running deep routes. He gets open on those routes often. Mitch has missed him or not seen him most of the time this season. Tyreek Hill is 5'9. Both Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes have done just fine finding him and hitting him when he is open. Gabriel is not Hill... but an open man is an open man. When you misfire; that's on you.

I will extend an olive branch and agree that I like Wims out there on 3rd downs. He has a big frame, uses his body pretty well and seems to have reliable hands. I would definitely mind continued use of him. But I feel like he's going to fade back into the distance. Which is unfortunate.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

WagonForce wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 pm Watching Blough for the Lions this game, I was impressed at how poised he looked in the pocket and how his confidence seemed to soar after he found some success. It sure looked to me like he was having fun out there while simultaneously benefiting from low expectations (as low as expectations can be for a QB starting a game in the NFL that is).

Blough also had a much better pocket to throw from than Mitch, who also has the weight of the world on his shoulders from his draft position, the expectations surrounding the team, the offense, etc.

I'm starting to think that while Mitch is far from perfect, we may have reason to hope he's better than we've seen and perhaps, considerably better than we've seen.

The offensive line has been trash, which has hurt the passing game directly by providing less time to set and read the field and indirectly by limiting the rushing attack. The coaching staff has shown disregard for how decisions might affect player confidence (Eddy Piniero anyone?), appears to have been stubborn on making adjustments to set players up for success, and in general has seem disorganized which only piles up distractions that hamper both individual and team performance. Then there's the drops, sometimes exacerbated by sub-optimal throws to be sure, but they have definitely not helped Mitch accrue positive stats nor have they helped him feel confident or loosen up.

As I go through these items in my mind, it definitely seems plausible that both 1) Blough is a not so great player who, in the right situation, could look good or even great and 2) Mitch is a good or even potentially great player who, in a bad situation, could look poor or even terrible.

I could just be making excuses for the guy but I find myself wondering just how much of the offensive woes we can pin on Mitch.
Lot's of backups come in a do pretty well for a game or two until the league has tape on them.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Run Pass Ratio and rushing stats - food for thought.

2018 - 54.83 percent passes
2019 - 62.23 percent passes

Most of that is Trubisky not running, but it's a pretty significant switch and a high ratio for a team with questions at QB.

Rushing YPG
2018 - 117.8
2019 - 79.3

Rushing YPA
2018 = 4.1
2019 - 3.4

Trubisky has went from 30 YPG last season to 7 this year rushing.

Basically the difference between Nagy's offense working vs not is Trubisky running around.
Last edited by southdakbearfan on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docc
Head Coach

I think Mitch..hip and shoulder are the limiting factors on him running.. I like him moving around..throwing from on the run.. This seems what he is.. Mahomes also is a mobile QB allowed to be himself..not fit a system..be the system..