Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Knuckles wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:24 am @southdakbearfan Yeah that play was one of those "Nagy" plays I guess we have to expect each week. It would've been interesting to see what happens though if Miller (I believe?) makes that block.

As far as Gabrielle I don't think he will be here next year...
Hopefully Wims isn't hurt badly and Ridley can produce without his shoes falling off.

Patterson, for all his athletic gifts, is just not a good player on offense. He did have one real good play but that is definitely the outlier.
Richie
MVP

Trubisky gets a solid B out of me vs Dallas. He looks a lot more comfortable, poised and confident out there. He needed this stretch of poor defense in the worst way. This is getting his mojo back. You can see it. We'll see how it rolls over into the GB game. If he has another performance like this. I'll be willing to open my door more to him being "onto something".

PROS: The most impressed I've ever been with Trubisky, perhaps. Is him going right down the field after throwing a brutal INT on the first drive. Earlier in the season that would have shattered Mitch's psyche but he was not phased.

How about his running? That was great. I've said that the biggest difference this year with our offense is that Mitch isn't picking up 1st downs with his legs. When he does that (and when the defense fails to keep him in the pocket) we won't go 3 and out very often. Not much, at all.

CONS: It was a BUMPY ride. Mitch lived dangerously and got away with a good, solid three throws into heavy traffic that you typically MIGHT get away with ONE of them throughout the course of a game. The Allen Robinson completion rolling left and falling away across his body just can't happen. It twisted my mind into a pretzel trying to figure out how that ball didn't wind-up in the arms of a Dallas defender. That really wasn't a good play. The end result won't be that 9x out of 10. That's going to wind-up an INT 5-6 times, incomplete 3 times and then... maybe it's caught once. There was a couple balls forced pretty badly to Robinson.

That ball to Miller at the end of the 2nd half nearly gave me a heart attack. At least there was a window, though. That's just a solid (even if dangerous) throw. That's fine... it's just a big gamble.

Field awareness still just isn't there. Him rolling right, back left, holding the ball for a year and not realizing the defender (who he just rolled away from) was about to strip sack him. I mean, he had no idea he was there and I don't know why that was the case.

I just don't think he gets away with this stuff vs a respectable D.

20 of Mitch's 31 passes were quick throws underneath. We didn't attack much in the passing game, at all. A lot of YAC helped him tonight. A few great runs by our WR's. Shoutout to Patterson, especially. Miller too (but really Patterson).

For those offended that I have any negatives to bring up. Sorry, I'm happy with Mitch tonight. But I don't grade a 3rd year franchise QB on a curve. He gets graded like any other veteran QB.

This WAS a nice step forward, though. I will say that.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 am
Knuckles wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:24 am @southdakbearfan Yeah that play was one of those "Nagy" plays I guess we have to expect each week. It would've been interesting to see what happens though if Miller (I believe?) makes that block.

As far as Gabrielle I don't think he will be here next year...
Hopefully Wims isn't hurt badly and Ridley can produce without his shoes falling off.

Patterson, for all his athletic gifts, is just not a good player on offense. He did have one real good play but that is definitely the outlier.
Gabriel is back for GB most likely. I think Ridley sightings will be a lot more limited than they were tonight after the Wims injury.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:39 am
Fantastic game from Mitch. I needed that.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 am
For those offended that I have any negatives to bring up. Sorry, I'm happy with Mitch tonight. But I don't grade a 3rd year franchise QB on a curve. He gets graded like any other veteran QB.

If anything you grade him worse, for whatever reason.
G08
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:49 am

I'm sure it's hard to bag on a kid, incessantly say that he sucks and then have to be objective after a game like yesterday.

Hell of a win, I'll take it!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:31 am

I'm sure it's hard to bag on a kid, incessantly say that he sucks and then have to be objective after a game like yesterday.

Hell of a win, I'll take it!
Watching someone explain how Mitch sucked, or wasn't great, yesterday is going to be "fun" to read.

Again, I needed that. Like an open window on a spring day with a breeze.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

@Richie Dude I quit coming up here 2 times this season because of you because I just couldn't take the constant negativity and attacks by you just for supporting Mitch or pointing out that it wasn't all on just him. If there's anyone up here that I wished I had an ignore feature for it was you.

Regardless of all that now you see what most of us have seen in Mitch and glad to see you at least acknowledge he played well. You still have to try and make it out that he wasn't quite good enough but hey that's you man. You be you...

Hopefully, Mitch continues to evolve in a positive way so we as fans can stop bickering among each other and get back to having fun. Anyhow cheers!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Bears offensive improvement over the last 2-3 games can probably be attributed to more than 1 factor:
-The O line is gelling, performing better and gaining the trust of Mitch and Nagy
-Mitch is healthy and is either willing (or allowed), to run on the RPO or when the pocket starts to break down now
-Playcalling:
-Nagy is running a bit more and finding success
-Nagy is also sprinkling in more rollouts and screens which help keep the defense off guard
-Mitch is spreading the ball around a little more / Miller is stepping up
-Having more outs (running himself and trusting Miller), Mitch looks more confident these past 2 weeks than he has all season. Playing QB is as much mental as it is physical ability and Mitch looks like he finally settled in this season.
-Oh and we just played 2 defenses that haven't played very well (Lions at all this season and Cowboys away from Dallas are just terrible)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 am @Richie Dude I quit coming up here 2 times this season because of you because I just couldn't take the constant negativity and attacks by you just for supporting Mitch or pointing out that it wasn't all on just him. If there's anyone up here that I wished I had an ignore feature for it was you.

Regardless of all that now you see what most of us have seen in Mitch and glad to see you at least acknowledge he played well. You still have to try and make it out that he wasn't quite good enough but hey that's you man. You be you...

Hopefully, Mitch continues to evolve in a positive way so we as fans can stop bickering among each other and get back to having fun. Anyhow cheers!
*whispers softly* there is an ignore feature...

G08
Hall of Famer

Asked what he thought of Trubisky as a quarterback, Smith used the highest term of endearment that his counterparts on the Bears use.

“He’s a guy that’s a dog,” Smith said. “He’s going to battle. We knew that going into it, and he had the upper hand tonight.”

BR0D1E86
MVP

Trubisky had obviously been a lot better the past couple weeks. He still has a couple WTF had plays, but at least that's not all he has any more. I still have the nagging doubt that he's done it against awful defenses and a Dallas team that is obviously going nuclear right now, but he still is playing better either way. And he can only play who's in front of him, way better than playing these teams and sucking.

The offensive line clearly run blocks a lot better when they're allowed to just fire out and find a man to block rather than all that complex pulling crap. And it's showing.

The offensive line was legitimately really good yesterday, the backs were legitimately good, the receivers were legitimately great in making contested catches, blocking down field, and repeatedly turning what should have been five yard passes into huge chunk plays.
IE
Hall of Famer

All QBs have WTF plays. So a small few of those a game should never really reduce a grade.

I give Mitch credit for standing up there a couple of weeks ago, looking truly shaken and admitting he needed to play much better. We may have seen rock-bottom for him, and he seemed to really genuinely own it. All Bear fans hope so. It was a feel-good night last night for sure. Mitch was simply awesome.

We can - and should - enjoy the game without chest-thumping about who has been right or wrong about a player. One game or 4 games doesn't decide that. The data and performances we've seen have been real. Whether or not he sustains these kinds of performances against upper-end competition will be informative. Although it is the consistency and sustainability that are most important. If Mitch can play like that 3 out of 4 games in December here, I'll be a born again Mitch supporter. And then if he plays like he did earlier in the season over a half a season ever again...I'll rightfully label him Blake Bortles. Because I base my opinion on what I actually see & not hope or feelings.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:54 am
The offensive line clearly run blocks a lot better when they're allowed to just fire out and find a man to block rather than all that complex pulling crap. And it's showing.

The offensive line was legitimately really good yesterday, the backs were legitimately good, the receivers were legitimately great in making contested catches, blocking down field, and repeatedly turning what should have been five yard passes into huge chunk plays.
I've been kinda defending them all season, and criticizing Nagy mostly. Even when "The tape never Lies" guy was calling them out and showing super-bad play... it always seemed like scheme-based and call-based confusion and not their inability to block and play (which we saw last year).

The story of this season is how bad Nagy made his team look while HE grew & learned.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Richie wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 am Trubisky gets a solid B out of me vs Dallas.
A solid "B"? Wow, tough grader. What does a guy have to do to get an "A"? It seems to me if this is the only game he's being graded on then his score would be "Hall of Famer"
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:24 am
Richie wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 am Trubisky gets a solid B out of me vs Dallas.
A solid "B"? Wow, tough grader. What does a guy have to do to get an "A"? It seems to me if this is the only game he's being graded on then his score would be "Hall of Famer"
Hater gonna hate
UOK
Site Admin

My dopey uncle posted on facebook, "yeah he had a really good game but I still hate him."

GTFO with that bullshit.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 am
Knuckles wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 am @Richie Dude I quit coming up here 2 times this season because of you because I just couldn't take the constant negativity and attacks by you just for supporting Mitch or pointing out that it wasn't all on just him. If there's anyone up here that I wished I had an ignore feature for it was you.

Or, we could respond....
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am My dopey uncle posted on facebook, "yeah he had a really good game but I still hate him."

GTFO with that bullshit.
Is this the same one you mentioned before?

Why can’t I have relatives like this?

Instead I have to put up with a house of screaming kids and avoid the cracker and cheese platter because people can’t control their dogs. Either that or I wind up accidentally sitting by the weirdo that knows WAY TOO MUCH about World War 2.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Regardless the outcome of the rest of the year my preference is that Gabriel is wr 5 or 6 for the rest of the year or inactive.

I like the offense without him better and I like the other receivers more.

Let Horsted and Holtz form a dynamic TE duo that keeps rolling.

More swing passes to Cohen, less runs.

More passes to Monty and of course keep feeding him.

Feed Arob and Miller. Sprinkle in Ridley let Patterson decoy and block.

Less Patterson on offense gadget plays.

Hopefully Wims not hurt seriously so he gets some touches as #3. If he can’t go I still would like to see what Ridley can do.

Keep Miller’s head straight. Dude can ball he just screws up with the call or a penalty a few times a game.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:15 pm
UOK wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am My dopey uncle posted on facebook, "yeah he had a really good game but I still hate him."

GTFO with that bullshit.
Is this the same one you mentioned before?

Why can’t I have relatives like this?

Instead I have to put up with a house of screaming kids and avoid the cracker and cheese platter because people can’t control their dogs. Either that or I wind up accidentally sitting by the weirdo that knows WAY TOO MUCH about World War 2.

Yep, haha. He coincidentally knows a shitload about WW2, however.
Richie
MVP

A = Basically perfect... no?

Sorry, the INT was real bad and a couple of throws were horrendously dangerous. I can't give him a perfect grade.
Richie
MVP

Just because it was the Bears best QB performance of the season. That does not make it an A. Our expectations for QB play are far too low. We get a chubby over the slightest bit of positivity at that position.

It's really not an insane notion to suggest that Mitchell Trubisky played a "good" game instead of an "elite" one. There was plenty of "slop".

Anyway, I have opened my door to Mitch again. I'm really not here trying to be a Debby downer. I'm interested in how he plays the final three games. He probably has the 2020 job, regardless.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 am

LOL Really? How so? I don't like to ignore anyone but maybe for future emergency use :)
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Richie
MVP

I attacked you? Give me a break. We both laid out our points. That simple. G08 is the only person I ever said anything to on a personal level but that was because he was intentionally (and repeatedly) misleading and misrepresenting data. I do sort of feel bad about it. I like G08 but that's just not cool, IMO.

At the end of the day, people have emotional attachments to QB's. It hurts their feelings when you rag on them as opposed to any other position.

Mitch WAS good enough last night. B = Good enough. It just doesn't = Flawless. There were flawed plays. A = TB/DET/GB games by him last season.

Would you really assert that Mitch was perfect last night? For Mitch Trubisky? That's an "A" game, yes. For a franchise QB? That's not an A. I don't see it. I'm sorry.

I like Mitch. I was defending Mitch in 2018 and over the off-season. I defended him after Week 1. There simply isn't a way that this can be spun into "I just love to hate Mitch". History suggests otherwise. I am fair with Mitch and have demonstrated that I will take either side when appropriate.

The Thanksgiving game was possibly closer to an "A". I defended him on that INT too.

I think a few of you in this thread like painting me as this "frothing at the mouth" and "illogical" Mitch hater. It just isn't the case.

Was I frustrated with the apologists for Mitch throughout October and November? When he deserved absolutely ZERO apology? Yes, I was. I still think it was silly.

I don't knee-jerk based on one or two games. Body of work is key. It's about sustaining a high-level of play.

Mitch is trending up. Let's keep it going. I'm excited to see what happens. Cheers to you as well.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Just curious... Do you guys think Nagy finally turned the corner and stopped trying to fit a square peg into a round hole? I knew as far as Mitch we needed to give him time to develop being a 1 year college starter but also Nagy was even rawer as a play-caller with what 5 games at KC?

Yesterday was the best-called game Nagy's had as the Bears HC and that's off a Thanksgiving game where I said the same thing. Something seems to have clicked. And as HC he deserves credit as well for the players coming out looking prepared and doing their jobs like catching the ball and blocking at a higher level than weeks prior.

What's even more impressive is that he and Mitch are starting to find success together. I know it goes hand in hand but the point is they finally are clicking on offense and I believe it has a lot to do with Nagy finally "getting it" as HC and play-caller. It seems like the stars are starting to align for both of them now it's what they do with it and how they evolve from here.

At least they now have a base they can always look back at and use it to build upon or find themselves if they falter. I'm happy for everyone on this offense and coaching staff right now.

This is the first day I woke up in a good mood after a Bear game all year... It's kinda nice.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Richie wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:10 pm

I attacked you? Give me a break. We both laid out our points. That simple. G08 is the only person I ever said anything to on a personal level but that was because he was intentionally (and repeatedly) misleading and misrepresenting data. I do sort of feel bad about it. I like G08 but that's just not cool, IMO.

At the end of the day, people have emotional attachments to QB's. It hurts their feelings when you rag on them as opposed to any other position.

Mitch WAS good enough last night. B = Good enough. It just doesn't = Flawless. There were flawed plays. A = TB/DET/GB games by him last season.

Would you really assert that Mitch was perfect last night? For Mitch Trubisky? That's an "A" game, yes. For a franchise QB? That's not an A. I don't see it. I'm sorry.

I like Mitch. I was defending Mitch in 2018 and over the off-season. I defended him after Week 1. There simply isn't a way that this can be spun into "I just love to hate Mitch". History suggests otherwise. I am fair with Mitch and have demonstrated that I will take either side when appropriate.

The Thanksgiving game was possibly closer to an "A". I defended him on that INT too.

I think a few of you in this thread like painting me as this "frothing at the mouth" and "illogical" Mitch hater. It just isn't the case.

Was I frustrated with the apologists for Mitch throughout October and November? When he deserved absolutely ZERO apology? Yes, I was. I still think it was silly.

I don't knee-jerk based on one or two games. Body of work is key. It's about sustaining a high-level of play.

Mitch is trending up. Let's keep it going. I'm excited to see what happens. Cheers to you as well.
BLAH BLAH BLAH you're not ruining my good mood LOL. BTW only read 1st sentence... Pretty much how I thought you'd respond. You're not worth my time man.
Funkster
MVP

With all the media talking heads and everyone on social media pointing fingers at Pace, Nagy and Trubisky, these past 5 weeks have been a testament to how this organization is ran. Everyone stuck together and put their noses to the grind and worked to better themselves. This team never gave up and are proving how resilient they are.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mitch had a nice game. It was good to see him running around more. And every QB throws a WTF ball or two each game.

However, I want to see him going progression 1... 2... 3... 4, which I didn't see any of in this game. Although I will admit, I could have missed it. From an intangible standpoint, he was excellent against Dallas. But in order to be a guy who defenses can't stop, he MUST be able to develop THAT skill. So far, the game hasn't slowed down enough for him. He's just barely doing that, although we have seen a bit in recent weeks, which is encouraging. If he can do that and throw it as accurately as he's been lately, Look out!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Mitch had a nice game. It was good to see him running around more. And every QB throws a WTF ball or two each game.

However, I want to see him going progression 1... 2... 3... 4, which I didn't see any of in this game. Although I will admit, I could have missed it. From an intangible standpoint, he was excellent against Dallas. But in order to be a guy who defenses can't stop, he MUST be able to develop THAT skill. So far, the game hasn't slowed down enough for him. He's just barely doing that, although we have seen a bit in recent weeks, which is encouraging. If he can do that and throw it as accurately as he's been lately, Look out!
Brett Favre admitted he could never go through 4 reads like that... talking about Joe Montana he said something like "It was always amazing he could just go 1...2...3...4... For me it was always like 1...…..4"