Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

grendel2000
Journeyman

I just think we're in a poop-sandwich.

I think it's abundantly clear that it's a near certainty Trubisky will never be a top tier QB. We're already holding out hope that he can JUST be above average. So this leaves us heading into a draft where we already have limited picks forced to consider using one of the high ones to pick another QB (who will take years to develop) or trade the picks away to trade for a vet.

So we're basically back to either rolling the dice and waiting a few years to see what we rolled, or settling for overpaying for a non-elite "good enough" (maybe) talent as a stopgap.

Meanwhile, our Offensive supporting cast is, well, pretty offensive.

We need help on the OL, all new TE group, WR and, for good measure, probably RB too... It's so disheartening. I feel like I'm 180 out from where I was last offseason. I was so confident then that Trubisky would flourish in his 2nd year of Nagy's offense. That Burton might bounce back once healthy. That Montgomery might add a missing piece to our offense. None of it seems to have panned out.

Sadly, it makes me feel like the Mack trade was an unfortunate waste (in terms of getting to a super bowl). He was supposed to be one of the last missing pieces. Now it looks like huge other swaths of the puzzle have fallen away leaving us just as needy as ever.

I've just come to believe that we're not going to fix this in a year, or two by making big splashes in FA for band-aid fixes. We need fundamental changes that lead to picking and developing talent consistently. If it were up to me I think I'd devote most of my resources right now to fixing the OL and TE positions. "A rising tide lifts all boats" and a great O-line helps everyone else on offense. They are the "foundation" of the "house" that is our offense. If the foundation has issues, so does the rest of the house.

Our foundation has issues.

So that's where I stand. Stand pat with Trubisky for now (but do pick up a competent backup for cheap) and look in the draft for best available talent at QB, TE and OL. In FA look for high quality OL and TE options to give more flexibility in the draft.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm If it weren't for Nagy's genius our guys would have come in 32nd instead of 29th.
Hardly. I couldn't disagree more.

3rd and short, QB sneak or power run up the middle with you fighter RB. Not for Nagy. Has to be some Razzle Dazzle play only he could think of.

How many damn times did we see that type of shit.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

IE wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:49 am ...(Picture Reagan saying "you're no Jack Kennedy")...
A minor thing, but that quote was Lloyd Benson to Dan Quayle.
Drone7
Player of the Month

The Grizzly One wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:00 am
Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm If it weren't for Nagy's genius our guys would have come in 32nd instead of 29th.

3rd and short, QB sneak or power run up the middle with you fighter RB. Not for Nagy. Has to be some Razzle Dazzle play only he could think of.

sarcasm, dude ;)
G08
Hall of Famer

First step of trolling. Testing the waters.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:35 am Meh. Deshaun Watson drug his team to the playoffs the last two years with a terrible OL and very little at TE.
I do believe dplank's hit on the solution! Mitch just needs to start dishing out the PEDs around the locker room... :-o
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:57 am
The Grizzly One wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:00 am

sarcasm, dude ;)
OK, I missed that. :surrender:
wab
Mod

I think People forget that the Bears were 3-1 going into London... before the injuries hit.
Drone7
Player of the Month

wab wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am I think People forget that the Bears were 3-1 going into London... before the injuries hit.
I remember.

Of the 4, they played one impressive game against the Vikes.

Lost against the Packers at home and looked bad offensively--which presaged the season on that side of the ball.

The other 2 wins were over 3 and 7 win teams. The Broncos' win was by 2 after a last second, long FG at altitude enabled by a bad roughing call on Chubb.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I know we were playing the Redskins, but it was on the road on Monday Night, and we absolutely blew them out. Not sure how that wasn't impressive, even if against a bad team.

Also worth noting, the impressive Vikings game came with Chase Daniel at QB. The following week, Akiem went out, and everything went to shit. Kinda makes me think about adding DL early in the draft, we can't be that dependent on 1 player.
wab
Mod

It seemed like they were just starting to hit their stride against the Skins. Then Mitch got hurt early in the Vikings game...but the Defense played probably the best game of the season. Against the Raiders the injury bug hit and Chase Daniel turned back into a pumpkin. Mitch was forced back early and the wheels kind of fell off.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:54 am It seemed like they were just starting to hit their stride against the Skins. Then Mitch got hurt early in the Vikings game...but the Defense played probably the best game of the season. Against the Raiders the injury bug hit and Chase Daniel turned back into a pumpkin. Mitch was forced back early and the wheels kind of fell off.
I didn't think Chase played all that bad against the Raiders honestly. Mitch put up 5 or 6 games worse than the Chase/Raiders game. We lost that game because the defense gave up repeated, long, TOP, TD drives. We couldn't stop their run, and on offense we couldn't budge their DL and got stuffed all game long.

Chase was 22/30, which is exactly what he was against the Queens. He had 2 TD's against the Raiduhs and just 1 against the Vikes. It was the 2 picks (the last pick in particular that ended the game) that had people hating on Chase. He played pretty damn consistently actually. Nothing suggests that he had a great game against the Vikes and shit the bed against the Raiders IMO, rather our DEFENSE shit the bed against the Raiders and we lost even though Chase actually brought us back in that game and we had the lead late in the game but our defense couldn't hold that mighty Raiders offense from scoring the game winning TD. And yes, then the Chase pick ended it at the very end.

Anyhow, minor point and Chase is a goner so doesn't really matter anymore.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 am I know we were playing the Redskins, but it was on the road on Monday Night, and we absolutely blew them out. Not sure how that wasn't impressive, even if against a bad team.

Also worth noting, the impressive Vikings game came with Chase Daniel at QB. The following week, Akiem went out, and everything went to shit. Kinda makes me think about adding DL early in the draft, we can't be that dependent on 1 player.
I think people don't realize (not saying you, planker) how important of a cog Akiem Hicks is to our defense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 am
IE wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:49 am ...(Picture Reagan saying "you're no Jack Kennedy")...
A minor thing, but that quote was Lloyd Benson to Dan Quayle.
LOL - you're right. I was melding that with Reagan telling Mondale he wouldn't hold his age against him. I'm old & it is all blending together now...
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 am I know we were playing the Redskins, but it was on the road on Monday Night, and we absolutely blew them out. Not sure how that wasn't impressive, even if against a bad team.

FYI - Hicks didn't play against the Vikes in game 4... arguably the strongest defensive performance of the year.

Edit: Also 44 played a stellar game against the Vikes and their stud RB but got zero snaps the next week against the Raiders and their stud RB. Roquan was in his mental funk, and when he came back against the Raiders it was probably not advisable. If 44 had started that game, it was a W. I'm 100% convinced of that.
Drone7
Player of the Month

44 :roll: s
IE
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:03 pm44 :roll: s
What's that for? I don't get it. Sorry.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:32 pm
Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:03 pm44 :roll: s
He doesn’t like Kwit.
IE
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:12 pm
IE wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:32 pm
He doesn’t like Kwit.
Oh OK ... not sure I asked, or care - but OK.
Drone7
Player of the Month

ok...I'll spell it out... you're 100% sure that if a backup LB played in the Raiders' game they would have won...

earns 44 eyerolls
IE
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:27 pm ok...I'll spell it out... you're 100% sure that if a backup LB played in the Raiders' game they would have won...

earns 44 eyerolls
Given what happened the game before, when 44 (and the rest) had Cook sitting on the sideline with a only a handful of yards and a "WTF" on his face, and how ridiculously lost Roquan was whilst Jacobs ran over the Bears like a train? Absolutely.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:13 pm
wab wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:54 am It seemed like they were just starting to hit their stride against the Skins. Then Mitch got hurt early in the Vikings game...but the Defense played probably the best game of the season. Against the Raiders the injury bug hit and Chase Daniel turned back into a pumpkin. Mitch was forced back early and the wheels kind of fell off.
I didn't think Chase played all that bad against the Raiders honestly. Mitch put up 5 or 6 games worse than the Chase/Raiders game. We lost that game because the defense gave up repeated, long, TOP, TD drives. We couldn't stop their run, and on offense we couldn't budge their DL and got stuffed all game long.

Chase was 22/30, which is exactly what he was against the Queens. He had 2 TD's against the Raiduhs and just 1 against the Vikes. It was the 2 picks (the last pick in particular that ended the game) that had people hating on Chase. He played pretty damn consistently actually. Nothing suggests that he had a great game against the Vikes and shit the bed against the Raiders IMO, rather our DEFENSE shit the bed against the Raiders and we lost even though Chase actually brought us back in that game and we had the lead late in the game but our defense couldn't hold that mighty Raiders offense from scoring the game winning TD. And yes, then the Chase pick ended it at the very end.

Anyhow, minor point and Chase is a goner so doesn't really matter anymore.
The Bears defense simply wasn't ready to play in the first half against the Raiders. They'd been brilliant through the first three games, but that half was dire. After half-time they were back to their old selves and played great... right up until Pierre-Louis decided to run into the damn punter and the ST unit fell for a fake punt everybody in the stadium could see coming. Ultimately, it was the punt coverage unit that cost the Bears that game at the end, not the defense.

As for Chase Daniel, he played like Chase Daniel. He made some nice throws in the second half and Robinson helped out on one occasion by making a heck of catch to keep his feet in bounds. The final interception was awful. I seem to recall there being a suggestion the receiver wasn't where he was supposed to be (which seemed to be a common theme for the year), but it was still triple coverage. Of course, Daniel wasn't helped any more than Trubisky by the anaemic running game. 17 carries for a pathetic 2.5 yards a pop isn't going to help you sustain drives and put points on the board. 10 penalties, 3 from Leno, don't help a team either.
Drone7
Player of the Month

The Bears were outplayed, but the chief villains in that loss were Pace/Nagy for flying the team into London much later than the wiser Raiders. They were tired/flat ...that was dumb.
Richie
MVP

We lost the London game because of a dumbass running into the punter penalty. When Oakland was kicking backed up near their own goal line. We were up by 4 with 4 minutes left and Cohen returned the punt near mid-field. Oakland also only had 1 time out (burned one and Gruden lost a challenge).

We get two first downs and the game is over. All the momentum was going our way and then that dumb flag goes in the air. We would have been 4-1 into the bye. Could have changed the course of the season. Never know.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Richie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:58 am We lost the London game because of a dumbass running into the punter penalty. When Oakland was kicking backed up near their own goal line. We were up by 4 with 4 minutes left and Cohen returned the punt near mid-field. Oakland also only had 1 time out (burned one and Gruden lost a challenge).

We get two first downs and the game is over. All the momentum was going our way and then that dumb flag goes in the air. We would have been 4-1 into the bye. Could have changed the course of the season. Never know.
Ya mean, we coulda been a contenda?!? :(
Last edited by Drone7 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:58 am We lost the London game because of a dumbass running into the punter penalty. When Oakland was kicking backed up near their own goal line. We were up by 4 with 4 minutes left and Cohen returned the punt near mid-field. Oakland also only had 1 time out (burned one and Gruden lost a challenge).

We could have won that game for sure, but I don't think it would have changed anything. We were exactly what we appeared to be in Week 1 of the season. A good defense (but not great anymore), with a floundering offense - a team that could beat most bad teams, would lose to most good teams, and 50/50 in the middle. Terrible QB and OL and TE play all season long. And two stubborn coaches that both failed to adjust their own schemes to match the talent available (both Nagy and Pagano failed at this big time).

One penalty against the Raiders isn't changing all that I'm afraid.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:53 am
One penalty against the Raiders isn't changing all that I'm correct.
fixt
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:53 am

We could have won that game for sure, but I don't think it would have changed anything. We were exactly what we appeared to be in Week 1 of the season. A good defense (but not great anymore), with a floundering offense - a team that could beat most bad teams, would lose to most good teams, and 50/50 in the middle. Terrible QB and OL and TE play all season long. And two stubborn coaches that both failed to adjust their own schemes to match the talent available (both Nagy and Pagano failed at this big time).

One penalty against the Raiders isn't changing all that I'm afraid.
Well, that penalty and a kick by Piniero not hooking left vs LAC. We're 10-6 and in the post-season. Just saying... That's the difference between an 8-8 and a 10-6 team in the NFL.

So often its the bounces you get. Look at GB this past year. That was a 9-10 win team by every metric. But they eek out every close game (often vs bad competition) by the skin of their teeth. Seemingly catch every break at every point a break was needed. They're 13-3. Then, NO gets upset at home. Instead, they draw an injury ravaged Seattle team who only had to beat the Josh McCown led Eagles in the first round. Then, they're a game away from the SB.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Richie, how 'bout narrowly beating the Vikes' backups on the road to conclude the season? If they had played their regulars in a must win scenario, wouldn't it be likely the Bears finished 7-9?

Of course that's speculative bs...the same kind as blaming penalties and missed kicks for losses...if a team loses by such things, maybe they ought to look at all the negative plays that put them in such precarious situations instead of making excuses about narrow losses?

Bears didn't have a tough schedule and finished .500. Had a lousy O. They were mediocre overall.

GB wasn't a vintage Packers' team, but found ways to win. It helps to have such a good QB in tight games. Bears don't.
cblaz11
MVP

What are your thoughts on the Colts and GM Chris Badard?