Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:23 am What are your thoughts on the Colts and GM Chris Badard?
The guy most thought the Bears should hire? He seems to be doing well on the surface.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

5th year contracts are now fully guaranteed under the new CBA. The Bears need to make a decision by early May.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Confirmed that Bears have reached out to Foles and Bridgewater's camps.
docc
Head Coach

Yeah..just think how Teddy Bears will sell $$$...
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:54 am It seemed like they were just starting to hit their stride against the Skins. Then Mitch got hurt early in the Vikings game...but the Defense played probably the best game of the season. Against the Raiders the injury bug hit and Chase Daniel turned back into a pumpkin. Mitch was forced back early and the wheels kind of fell off.
How dare you try to inject some perspective and possible optimism into our funk! ;-)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:22 pm Yeah..just think how Teddy Bears will sell $$$...
that would have been a never ending cash cow had it happened
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
marshallmegginson
Rookie

I was at the Redskins game. It seemed to me that if the defenders looked threatening to Biscuit he lost his poise immediately. He seemed to fix his gaze on them instead of down field. His passing mechanics looked out of order at these times. Is this because he feels unprotected by his line; or did he take a couple of hits that really hurt physically and he is now gun shy? I think something is going on in his head and I am concerned about how it can be fixed. He certainly needs a line that not only protects him but also can march down the field on a running attack. The team needs a good tight end. How about adding some WRs who are consistent and who can outplay DBs. It looks like the team does not have enuf draft choices and enuf free agent money to improve all these areas. Maybe in two more seasons. I would dump Pace, not the QB this year.
G08
Hall of Famer

marshallmegginson wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm I was at the Redskins game. It seemed to me that if the defenders looked threatening to Biscuit he lost his poise immediately. He seemed to fix his gaze on them instead of down field. His passing mechanics looked out of order at these times. Is this because he feels unprotected by his line; or did he take a couple of hits that really hurt physically and he is now gun shy? I think something is going on in his head and I am concerned about how it can be fixed. He certainly needs a line that not only protects him but also can march down the field on a running attack. The team needs a good tight end. How about adding some WRs who are consistent and who can outplay DBs. It looks like the team does not have enuf draft choices and enuf free agent money to improve all these areas. Maybe in two more seasons. I would dump Pace, not the QB this year.
:welcome:

I think his mechanics have regressed significantly since his rookie year, which is alarming. If he's not doing anything else during the off-season, he had better be drilling footwork, maneuvering in the pocket and his throwing motion.

I think he has issues processing coverages and relating that to adjustments within the playcall. He can learn those things in time but the question is how smart is he? It's a part of why I think the quarterback position is the crème de la crème of sports. You can be tough, intelligent, have a rocket arm, etc but if you can't make snap decisions in 2.5 seconds while massive human beings are trying to rip your head off you will fail.

I'm rooting for the kid, I'm a loyal Bears fan, but it will not shock me if Nick Foles takes over week 6.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

I have no doubt Mitch is studying like crazy, and doing everything he can to drill better mechanics into himself. I have no doubt at all that he wants it more than anyone wants it for him.

It seems like the disconnect with Mitch is he seems to do all that prep. He might know his homework and say all the right things in class and even looks like he's doing fine in near-full-speed practice. Then on the field he craters beyond belief - and only can operate against teams that play at the level of the Bears in practice. Sometimes not even then.

My doubt is whether he has the mental makeup to realize all that on the field in live play when he really is subject to full-speed and potential physical harm. And I'm not sure how he can grow the intuition or hyper competitive killer instinct that drives all of the best - or most winning - NFL QBs.

I don't see him being able to compete with Foles if the competition is remotely fair. I think they'll trade him for whatever they can get because how much is he worth in cap if he gets off the books? Of course moving him requires they draft the most play-ready QB they can in the draft.

Throughout the season I compared him to Ty Webb folding under pressure, or Jon Quinn who couldn't play without his red dickie on - and I really think these are the analogies.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

There's only been one Bear player that I've hated from the get-go and wanted gone--Cedric Benson. Generally, even if I disagree with the move initially, I find myself liking the player and rooting for him unconditionally.

For instance, I was strongly against the Cutler trade. Thought we gave up way too much for him. But once here, after rooting for him, I very much wanted the Bears to keep him rather than trade for Glennon. Same way with Brandon Marshall. Didn't want him, then sorry to see him go. Hell, even Cade McNown. I hated him. Didn't want anything to do with him. But then I was like, "are we really giving up on him this early?"

So yeah, I'm a meathead Bear fan, admittedly so. I didn't want Mitchell originally. I was all over Patrick Mahomes, nearly every fucking day. But am I now the only one who still has faith in Trubisky? People act like his the worst QB in Bear history. But take it from somebody who's lived through the likes of Bobby Douglas, Rick Mirer, Kordell Stewart, Steve Stenstrom, Mike Phipps, Jimmy Claussen, Happy Hank, and Caleb Hanie, and yes, Cade McNown, he's not. Not even close.

Mitchell's had his moments. Last year, he had four games with better than a 115 rating, and we won all of them. Hell, against Dallas, a Top 10 defense, he had 244 yards passing with a 74% completion percentage, 7.9 yard avg., 3 TDs to only 1 pick, and 10 rushes for another 63 yards and another score.

I think his biggest problem is Sphincter Clench. It's palpable. At times, you can simply feel it just watching him. Maybe even experience it yourself a little bit. lol It comes from thinking too much I believe.

I thought they brought in DeFilippo to fix him by focusing on his technique to the extent that it becomes second nature and he doesn't have to think so much. He can scan the field rather than worry about his footwork. He can just throw the deep ball rather than trying to guide it.

I think those that believe that Foles was brought in to replace Trubisky are mistaken. If that was their plan, why would they have brought in DeFilippo originally? If Trubisky can be fixed, he's a better QB than Foles. He has a stronger arm, and he can run. But if not, Foles is a good fall back option to help save the season and the coaches' jobs.

So am I only the one who still has faith in Mitchell Trubisky? Or am I simply a meatball Bear Fan and this is just a Cade McNown/Rex Grossman Redux and the hope for an actual Franchise QB is simply a pipedream?
Richie
MVP

"If that was their plan, why would they have brought in DeFilippo originally?"

Why would they bring in a renowned QB coach with a track record of success that has a ton of experience in this kind of a system? There's a HELLUVA lot of answers to that besides simply "They're 100% committed to Trubisky".

In fact, one of those answers could be "They were always planning on going after Foles". Especially seeing as they also went after Lazor who previously worked with Foles.

I'm not claiming that is the reason they hired Flip/Lazor. However, it's 100% as valid as your claim that they did it out of a commitment to Trubisky.

Bare minimum -- Foles is here for a camp competition. He did not restructure to come here and be a sure-fire backup QB.

So far as Foles vs Mitch or "Belief in Mitch" comments. I really don't feel like going full tits out down that road. Although, I'm sure this thread will get 100+ replies on that matter. I'll just say that -- Whatever Mitch's reasons are? Sphincter, mechanics, lack of talent, etc. He's been a below average to downright bad QB for the overwhelming majority of the games he's played here. And he's been here long enough to get a good sample-size/read on who he is. 41 starts is a fair shake. Guys who are still towards the bottom of the league in every statistical category in year #3 of starting basically never pan out into legit franchise guys.

It's possible he could wake up one day and suddenly have it all together. However, the odds are rather greatly stacked against it.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I still think Mitch has a chance, and I personally still think he is the starter until Nagy or Pace says otherwise. I think the biggest change that hurt Mitch last season was he didn't run nearly as much, especially early in the season. in 2018 I felt alot of the games early on he would have a big run that would swing momentum in the Bears favor and then the O would start to click. In 2019 that aspect of his game was sorely missed and I really think it was a big reason for the offenses struggles. I think Pace and Nagy would love for Mitch to step up and be the guy he was drafted to be. They just can't waste a whole season on it again and so they brought in a legit NFL QB(sorry Chase) to be the guy to take over if Mitch is still 2019 Mitch.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm So am I only the one who still has faith in Mitchell Trubisky?
Nah, you're not alone. But my confidence in him has wavered a bit. I'll still be cheering for the kid... but man, if he shits the bed the first 6, 7 games of the season it might be time to call it a career in Chicago. That's how short I think his leash is.

He'd be better in Kyle Shanahan's scheme, but I digress.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Wow Richie. The anger in your post tells me that you're definitely done with him....

Kind of depressing isn't it?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I still think Mitch is the starter. Foles was brought in to put pressure on Mitch but isn’t someone you really want to rely for a full season. He has proven to be brittle, but capable over short stints. He is what he is, probably the top backup in the nfl.

Mitch still has the chance and if he puts out 2018 Mitch then he starts.

Those who think foles is some savior will be upset at some point when he is injured or playing like he has for the vast majority of his career.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mitch is the Derek Zoolander of QBs.

He looks the part but has a TRex like pea brain.
Zoolander couldn’t turn left on the runway, Mitch can’t throw left. Both are dumb enough to have a splash fight with gasoline then light a cigarette.

He can Dere-lick my balls, Cap-I-ton.
IE
Hall of Famer

I rarely hate a Bear. I didn't like Benson... but that was more about liking TJ and thinking he got a raw deal by Lovie who wanted Ced and got what he wanted.

Lately, I've taken to not liking some players more. I think that is because as I age and the years between now & 1985 (or even 2006) increase in number... I start not liking the guys who are clearly standing in the way of the success I so desperately want. One such guy is Adam Shaheen. I hate when he's out there. I'm actually reasonably easy to please - I've given Floyd the benefit of doubt. And the backup TEs. And the Oline, who I believe will really step up this year (with addition at RG).

So it says a lot if I turn on such a nice kid like 10. It is hard to anything but like him. And I do like him. But he's horrible. I get Sphincter Clench seeing him on the field because he is just not able to perform at a professional level against any decent team. He's really really bad. He can run but besides that he's a relief pitcher playing the wrong game. His "flashes" aren't against good teams (don't give me Cowboys - their home/away record tells you all you need to know.

I call him 10 because I feel bad calling Mitch a Bum Slayer. But that's exactly what he is. He's never beaten anyone out for any position - he got starting roles through attrition not through proving he was better. So to expect him to beat Foles in anything remotely resembling a fair competition is nothing short of delusional.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Fair points.

But isn't it just depressing as hell giving up on having a franchise QB anytime soon?

I'm just a meathead Bear fan, but at least I'm a happy one, even if disillusioned.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mitch's principal issue, since he seemed to overcome some of his mechanical wild inaccuracy issues the last quarter of '19, is inability to decisively process the information in front of him. He needs to determine the coverage pre-snap and be able to see option 1 and go straight to option 2 if it's not there. Same with options 2 and 3. But he tends to set his eyes on option 1 and stay there whether it's covered up or not. You're not going to be successful doing that. That's all there is to it.

I think his lack of NCAA experience did not provide him with enough of fundamental training in read progressions to prepare him to be an NFL QB who can be effective at it in his first couple of NFL years. Last year was year 3 and we still didn't see that skill develop sufficiently. Not even very close, really.

To answer the original question, I think MT is a great young man who seems to work hard to stay in shape, out of trouble and try to improve. He's the kind of kid who is easy to root for and who you'd be happy to have marry your daughter. I fully support him and hope beyond hope that he can take the next step and be the QB we all hoped he could be on draft day.

However, he's just not a quality NFL QB right now. He just isn't. And as a Bears fan, how long should I wait before wanting to see another option? We're starting year 4 now and year 3 wasn't so good. My patience is nearing it's end. At some point, you get to where your hope for his success is trumped by your fear that he is what he is and his brain is only capable of so much, which isn't good enough.

So yes, I support him. But he needs to do his part on the field. Pronto.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Oh, I hear you on that, and I believe that's why Foles was brought in. Mitchell's going to be given a shot, but he has to produce. If he doesn't, Foles will take over. The coaches (and GM) have to win now. But I'm still hoping for development from Trubisky. I still want him to succeed as our future QB.
UOK
Site Admin

Merged topics.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

No great mystery. Mitch got hurt behind a bad O line, didn't want to or was protected from running. Without his ability to run, his inability to read defenses quickly didn't allow him to trust what he saw pre snap. and Defenses just had to know where his favorite 1st read/outlet WR was on a given play and contain. Also the RB's weren't capable of carrying the team behind said bad O line. The result was a crippling lack of 1st half points and terrible offensive production overall.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If you'd have asked me before last season whether I was ready to give up on Trubisky if he had a lacklustre never mind bad year then I would have said yes.

However, last year there were just so many issues beyond his play that I found it hard to genuinely come to a conclusion.

The offensive line was a mess and there was virtually no effective run game. The impact of this cannot be understated. Eight teams had a ypc average of 4 or less, including the Bears (3.7). The passer ratings of the starting QBs on those teams ranged from 78.3 to 90.2. Former MVP Matt Ryan had the 90.2. Future Hall of Famers Philip Rivers (88.5) and Tom Brady (88.0) were in that group. So was Jared Goff (86.5) who led his team to the Super Bowl with a 101.1 rating just the season before. Trubisky's rating was 83.0.

Furthermore, there was a clear correlation between the drop off in ypc and drop off in passer rating. The Bears ypc fell 10% and Trubisky's passer rating by 13% in 2019 compared to 2018. For comparison, the Falcons saw a 16% drop in ypc and Ryan a 17% drop in passer rating, the Chargers a 15% drop in ypc and Rivers a 16% drop in passer rating, the Patriots a 12% drop in ypc and Brady a 10% drop in passer rating and the Rams a 25% drop in ypc and Goff a 14% drop in passer rating.

The lack of a run game coupled with ill-timed penalties and drops stalled a lot of drives, many before they even got started. The Bears were frequently in third and long and the line struggled to hold up. Trubisky made some bad decisions and missed some throws, but there were so many instances where things went wrong that were simply not his fault. The offense looked badly coached and the playcalling often left a lot to be desired. In particular, when the I formation was working it was incomprehensible for Nagy not to stick with it.

Here's a few examples of drives breaking down, in this case against the Eagles at the midpoint of the season:

1st and 10: 4 yard run (Montgomery from the offset I)
2nd and 6: -3 yard run (Montgomery, no fullback)
3rd and 9: Incomplete pass (Daniels driven straight back from the snap by a bull rush. Trubisky under pressure and knocked down.)

1st and 10: -4 yard sack (Missed opportunity to throw to Miller.)
2nd and 14: Incomplete pass (Cohen drop. Should have been a 3 or 4 yard gain.)
3rd and 14: 2 yard pass (Montgomery. Holding penalty on Leno declined.)

1st and 10: -10 yard penalty (Holding on Patterson.)
1st and 20: +5 yard penalty (Offside defense.)
1st and 15: 4 yard pass (Coward immediately beaten with an inside move. Trubisky slides to his right and is hit in the back after he throws. He misses a possible deeper pass to Burton but completes to Montgomery in the flat.)
2nd and 11: 3 yard pass (WR screen to Gabriel. Daniel belly flops in front of his man otherwise Gabriel had space to run.)
3rd and 8: -8 yard sack (Eagles rush 6, although one may be a spy on Trubisky. The right side of the o-line allows a stunting edge rusher to loop around behind Daniels untouched. 3 WRs on the left are running to the first down marker and still have their backs to Trubisky when he is hit. He ducks under the rusher and stumbles forward but is unable to keep his feet.)

1st and 10: -5 yard penalty (False start on Shaheen.)
1st and 15: 0 yard run (Montgomery, no fullback.)
2nd and 15: 3 yard pass (WR screen to Cohen. The left side of the o-line release downfield, but Cohen is running behind the line to the right and after catching the ball he keeps running in that direction rather than cutting back to where the blocking is set up.)
3rd and 12: Incomplete pass (Trubisky slides to his right and whips a perfect 23 yard strike to Robinson who despite catching it a good 2 feet from the sideline cannot get his second foot down, with his heel landing just out of bounds.)

As can be seen, it's just a catalogue of mistakes by the offense as a whole and this snapshot was symptomatic of the whole season. For this reason, I'm willing to give Trubisky another chance.

My concern is that the coaches will fail to address all the other issues and hang him it out to dry. He's flashed talent at times, but he's wound up in a terrible situation for a young QB. The plan was clearly to let him sit and learn for a year behind Glennon, but instead he was thrown into the starting line-up in game 5 with a couple of days preparation, an injury hit interior line in flux and no WRs worthy of the name. To further compound matters he then lost his only competent TE a couple of games later to a career-ending injury. I believed when Nagy took over and Pace revamped the receiving corps that he'd be OK, but my faith in Nagy's abilities have been sorely shaken after last season.
wab
Mod

There's only been one Bear player that I've hated from the get-go and wanted gone--Cedric Benson.
Mine was Mike Glennon. I've never hated a Bears player until Longneck Gingerderp came along.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am
There's only been one Bear player that I've hated from the get-go and wanted gone--Cedric Benson.
Mine was Mike Glennon. I've never hated a Bears player until Longneck Gingerderp came along.
David Terrell...hated that guy from the first time I heard him open up his big mouth.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am
wab wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am
David Terrell...hated that guy from the first time I heard him open up his big mouth.
I hated Cedric Benson. Obvious as the guy walked on stage in the draft he was pissed the Bears drafted him, the team didn't need him and it divided the locker room. Then the hold out and all the other bullshit.

I wouldn't say I hated this next person and it wont be a popular opinion but I really dislike Brian Urlacher the person. Great player but not a fan of him as a human being. Lance Briggs isn't far behind him for me.
Fumblebuck
MVP

Hated Benson. Every thing about him, from where he was draft, to why he was drafted ( who knows), to his lack of versatility when the RB position was evolving. Terrible pick.

Hated Michael Haynes too. A 2 gap DE drafted as we turn to a one gap team, ugh. Plus we past on Troy Polamalu.

While sort of on subject, someone I over rooted for was Kyle Orton. Put into an impossible position he wasn't supposed to be in or slightly prepared for. He held it together and earn my respect. I ended up being a much bigger fan of his then his play warranted
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am
dplank wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am

I hated Cedric Benson. Obvious as the guy walked on stage in the draft he was pissed the Bears drafted him, the team didn't need him and it divided the locker room. Then the hold out and all the other bullshit.

I wouldn't say I hated this next person and it wont be a popular opinion but I really dislike Brian Urlacher the person. Great player but not a fan of him as a human being. Lance Briggs isn't far behind him for me.
DT and Glennon were another couple of players I never wanted. Never hated them though. They were what they were. I just wanted them replaced.

On Benson:

Hated from the get-go. Didn't want him. Didn't buy his crocodile tears at draft time. And then the nonsensical holdout. And then when he came in they were practicing at half speed and Benson decided to go full speed. When the defense decided to teach him a lesson, Benson got all up in arms about it. Then there were the countless times he simply ran out of bounds. Saw him once run out of bounds on third down, two yards short of a first, rather than take on a single defender to try and pick it up. And then the whole Super Bowl fiasco. God I hated the whiney ass punk.

I loved Urlacher as a player but hated how he left the Bears. He had clearly lost a bunch before he retired. The Bears wanted to bring him back at 2 mill and Urlacher said he play for anybody else BUT the Bears for that amount. Fuck that. This was a team who treated him right, who consistently renegotiated him to keep his pay up, and he treats them like that? Never felt the same way about him afterwards.

Loved Briggs. Still do. Love him and Alex Brown on the Post Show. Funny as hell.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 pm
They lost me when they go to the old Mahomes/Watson debate. QB's are freaking fickle things. One works out that should, another fails with all the tools.

Plus Cam isn't very good at playing QB and hasn't been as good as he was since his shoulder injury along with his myriad of other injuries.

Plus he is just a weird dude.