For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

WP.1
Player of the Month

OK.

is it possible that - retirement ?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm UOK edit - let's not.
UOK. Hey I don’t care gay, straight or otherwise. It doesn’t bother me. Maybe he’s just working through it mentally. I meant no disrespect, and am not judgmental on someone’s personal lifestyle. Thanks. Please don’t take it as that.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 pm Since all we can do is speculate, my guess is his playbook was stolen by a "lady friend". Because why the hell not lol
This time or right after he was drafted? lol
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 pm
UOK wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:04 pm Looks like Smith may have gotten into a car accident, perhaps substances were imbibed that contributed. The team handled the issue internally and quietly suspended him for the contest.

Thus the quiet, no-detail nature of the response about him being in the game.

The "report" is from SM, which I'm not a fan of, and don't want to link to their page.
So much for his dad dying. If this was the case, I'm really going to be pissed. Is this why he held out his rookie year? So he could do shit like this?
It was Mike Davis whose dad died.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
dplank
Hall of Famer

what is SM?
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:59 pmwhat is SM?
Sports Mockery.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 pm Since all we can do is speculate, my guess is his playbook was stolen by a "lady friend". Because why the hell not lol
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:59 pmwhat is SM?

half of BDSM
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

I really think it’s something such as missing meetings or being late etc

Smith doesn’t play but is on the sidelines...that’s odd
Nagy pumped with emotion and adrenaline has to face the media. He knows the reason but doesn’t want to let it slip.
When asked about Robinson ..one of the very first things he says is...really good team guy. Doesn’t miss meetings , comes to practice ever day (4.08 post game presser )

I could be reading more into that but It just seemed a strange response at the time.
To me that could genuinely be a coach that’s looking for an answer and his brain knows what he doesn’t want to say and so it comes out elsewhere because his brain is firing off with adrenaline and millions of different thought patterns.

I
Have a great day
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 pm I really think it’s something such as missing meetings or being late etc

Smith doesn’t play but is on the sidelines...that’s odd
Nagy pumped with emotion and adrenaline has to face the media. He knows the reason but doesn’t want to let it slip.
When asked about Robinson ..one of the very first things he says is...really good team guy. Doesn’t miss meetings , comes to practice ever day (4.08 post game presser )

I could be reading more into that but It just seemed a strange response at the time.
To me that could genuinely be a coach that’s looking for an answer and his brain knows what he doesn’t want to say and so it comes out elsewhere because his brain is firing off with adrenaline and millions of different thought patterns.

I
Hmmm...good catch. Maybe. Would make sense. At least more than some of my conspiracy theory laden ideas.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Some of you guys' brains working OT. He didn't play for personal reasons (of the coach). End of story.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:33 pm Some of you guys' brains working OT. He didn't play for personal reasons (of the coach). End of story.
Forum response:

Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

It’s called the art of winning. The lack of credible stuff to complain about leads us to fixate elsewhere
Have a great day
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Conspiracy Theory Charlie is my spirit animal
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I love conspiracy thinking. Generally I dont believe conspiracy theories. I do fully believe in reptilian illuminati. Not in moon landing hoaxes.

Otis is thinking logically. The Bears though botched the shit out of this. Weather smith is dealing with baby momma drama, death, meetings etc, nagy made it worse.

My theory he is having a mental issue ala barret Robbins. Maybe not to same degree but a mental health issue
GSH
MVP

honestly, i doubt we'll ever know. if it was down to some disciplinary or misconduct reasons, dont the team have a duty to report it to the league and we would know by now?

Just maybe it really is a personal reason. Caught a dose of the clap and was on meds? broke up with a girlfriend and couldnt get his head straight? the reason doesnt really matter.

Im sure we'd all be up in arms alot more about it if dalvin cook had run all over kwit in the game for sure but lets just respect coach, the team and Roquan and assume a ' it is what it is' position.

Hopefully he's back on the field kicking ass soon.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:48 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:33 pm Some of you guys' brains working OT. He didn't play for personal reasons (of the coach). End of story.
Forum response:

Not sure what you're saying here UOK. Are you saying we're all looney? I mean...you'd be right. But how dare you!

Honestly I didn't know it was Nagy's personal reasons. I thought it was Roquan's. So...nevermind...he probably missed a meeting.
BR0D1E86
MVP

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:58 pm Conspiracy Theory Charlie is my spirit animal
That episode is scary good. I might rewatch it tonight.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I admire how the Bears have kept this in house and nothing has come out yet. Pretty impressive in this day and age of social media and narks.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:38 am I admire how the Bears have kept this in house and nothing has come out yet. Pretty impressive in this day and age of social media and narks.
It is. I’m pretty surprised. I figured by Monday the story would be out.
wab
Mod

Reports starting to surface that Roquan is out "indefinitely". So, yeah...that's concerning.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:37 am Reports starting to surface that Roquan is out "indefinitely". So, yeah...that's concerning.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/277 ... ng-himself

Chicago Bears linebacker Roquan Smith will be out indefinitely while the team gives him the time he needs to deal with a personal issue, sources told ESPN's Dan Graziano.

Smith had not been acting like himself around the team facilities for the past week or so, sources said.
Z Bear
MVP

Highly doubt you are going to hear anything else about this until Roquan steps up to the podium to address the media. Nagy cut bait with Parkey for going on the talk show more than missing the kick, so he needs to lead by example and keep things in house. Additionally, would not send a good message to the team (or potential future free agents) if the team betrays the confidence of one of it's key players.

Remember... something very similar happened when Charles Tillman found out his daughter was sick. Rumors were speculating then until the truth finally came from Charles directly. I suggest we fans stop the conspiracy theories and let this play out. People are not going to act right if their head is with issues to close family.
wab
Mod

I don't think the Bears or Roquan Smith owe us any explination. He's dealing with something that's serious enough to keep him off the field. I hope the dude is ok mentally and emotionally, and that he comes back when he's ready.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:41 pm I thought I read it wasn’t even his car and that whole situation had nothing to do with him.

On the surface it doesn’t look like he did anything wrong, legally or otherwise. It’s entirely possible that there’s just some stuff happening in his life.
Agreed that would seem to be the case. Something going on in his life would make a lot of sense - a bad breakup or family issue (or whatever issue) can be devastating and super disruptive but not end up in the public domain at all. And in this case how Roquan is handling that something must be impacting the team's rules or process in a way that Nagy just can't allow. It says a lot about the culture Nagy has developed that nothing has leaked. Hope the kid is alright.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 am I don't think the Bears or Roquan Smith owe us any explination. He's dealing with something that's serious enough to keep him off the field. I hope the dude is ok mentally and emotionally, and that he comes back when he's ready.
I don’t disagree.

I do wish they’d come out and say it isn’t something terminal like he’s got cancer or something. That would be a fucking nightmare. The guy is a favorite of mine.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

It could be something like a Bi-polar disorder. Rumor was he was acting erratic. A lot of bi-polar and manic medications can really dull your senses, and/or have other side effects that would make it difficult to play pro football at a high level. I also believe, that if it is something medical or mental (personal), any NFL franchise would be highly restricted on what they could and couldn't say, due to privacy laws in this country. Wanny mentioned that in his SCORE segment this morning. For every one that's harping on the organization about not coming clean, maybe their just not legally allowed to.
IE
Hall of Famer

Man, I hate speculation about something like that. It would definitely be a HIPPA breach for the Bears to disclose that. Wouldn't it be strange to have that emerge at his age? Regardless I hope the kid is OK.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
docc
Head Coach

Please no Alonzo Spellman type rumors .
UOK
Site Admin

The Cutler/diabetes thing comes to mind. Jay found out during the offseason. Lost like 30 pounds, looked like shit. Then there's this...?