Wk 5 // CHICAGO BEARS "@" OAKLAND RAIDERS OF LONDON

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Glad that Roquan is going to play. My fear was that Chuckie was going to make Kwiat play horizontally, sideline to sideline.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I thought that Burfict was fairly washed up. But it sounds like he was the Raiders best run defender, and one of their best overall defensive players.

That helps.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Guenther is going to dial up some pressures, especially up the middle, and will force Daniel to throw into lanes that he can't quite see -- or -- move off his spot and throw on the run (a weakness of his). To combat this, I expect more RB/WR screens and quick hitters to the outside. I'd love for this to be the game where Montgomery breaks out, but I've been saying that for a few weeks now. I don't expect anything amazing from the offense, but I do think the defense is going to kick some ass.

Bears 17
Raiders 6
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
GSH
MVP

apparently Roquan has confirmed he'll play this week.
IE
Hall of Famer

Looking forward to this game. I think Nagy's overarching message to the offense will be just execute but stay focused on the game & not any given play... do NOT turn the ball over. There won't be a pick 6 to start the game like vs the Gints last year. (Hopefully) there won't be 3 fumbles. I'm sure we'll see 25-30 rush attempts and if that starts working Nagy will stick with it. This Raiders defense is suspect and by far the most vulnerable of anyone the team has faced so far. And this epic Bear D should give them short fields all day long. That's why I think there will be 4 or more TDs to spread around. It bodes well for the backup QB to get them to a win, and for us to see a 40 handle on the scoreboard. I know low scores happen but that is typically when teams are more evenly matched. It could happen here - but I don't see it.

Mitch is going to rest for 2 weeks and then come back and get on the development train. Maybe the rest and watching the team perform from the sideline this week will be very good for him. There's a lot of room for hope.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 pm I think Guenther is going to dial up some pressures, especially up the middle, and will force Daniel to throw into lanes that he can't quite see -- or -- move off his spot and throw on the run (a weakness of his). To combat this, I expect more RB/WR screens and quick hitters to the outside. I'd love for this to be the game where Montgomery breaks out, but I've been saying that for a few weeks now. I don't expect anything amazing from the offense, but I do think the defense is going to kick some ass.

Bears 17
Raiders 6
I do worry a little bit about pressure up the middle. I think the pass pro has gotten better over the last two weeks, but communication in the middle seems to be a lingering thing. I noticed during the Vikings game that Whitehair started calling out the protections. I think that helps take some pressure off JD.

I really hope the line figures the run blocking out because it's getting pretty frustrating.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 am
G08 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 pm I think Guenther is going to dial up some pressures, especially up the middle, and will force Daniel to throw into lanes that he can't quite see -- or -- move off his spot and throw on the run (a weakness of his). To combat this, I expect more RB/WR screens and quick hitters to the outside. I'd love for this to be the game where Montgomery breaks out, but I've been saying that for a few weeks now. I don't expect anything amazing from the offense, but I do think the defense is going to kick some ass.

Bears 17
Raiders 6
I do worry a little bit about pressure up the middle. I think the pass pro has gotten better over the last two weeks, but communication in the middle seems to be a lingering thing. I noticed during the Vikings game that Whitehair started calling out the protections. I think that helps take some pressure off JD.

I really hope the line figures the run blocking out because it's getting pretty frustrating.
Pass pro has improved except for Leno. He looks like either a major regression, or quit playing seriously now he got a deal.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hey UOK. I noticed that you haven’t been changing the titles of the game threads to reflect the final score. Where are my witty one line summations of the games? I’m a man of routine, what can I say.
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:51 pm Hey UOK. I noticed that you haven’t been changing the titles of the game threads to reflect the final score. Where are my witty one line summations of the games? I’m a man of routine, what can I say.
Mostly for my own reference! I often search back for old gameday threads and it's difficult when I change the title to reflect the outcome. I may have to start having a "postgame" thread with the result.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:46 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:51 pm Hey UOK. I noticed that you haven’t been changing the titles of the game threads to reflect the final score. Where are my witty one line summations of the games? I’m a man of routine, what can I say.
Mostly for my own reference! I often search back for old gameday threads and it's difficult when I change the title to reflect the outcome. I may have to start having a "postgame" thread with the result.
As long as there is a method to your madness, then no worries. I just didn't want to see you slacking! :thumbsup: :toast:
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Leno and Long have looked like garbage all year. Hard to get the running game going with them both being turnstiles for the better part of every game. Last week Leno looked especially terrible... Pass protection from both leaves a lot to be desired as well. I expected the line as a whole to take a while to get going with Daniels and Whitehair swapping places and none fo them getting a large number of reps in preseason but if it doesn't start to improve overall they might need to swap in some of the younger guys (kid from Notre Dame?) and give them a few weeks to see if they can get going (Longs spot).

What I don't understand is HH is one of the best line coaches in football... Is it more of play design not taking advantage of strengths or just flat out not enough desire by Long and Leno (singling them out because they both are the biggest problems).

Either way, if they aren't looking cohesive after the bye something drastic needs to be done. They won't go far in the playoffs with the current level of play all across the board on the o-line.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
UOK
Site Admin

Knuckles wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:36 pm Leno and Long have looked like garbage all year. Hard to get the running game going with them both being turnstiles for the better part of every game. Last week Leno looked especially terrible... Pass protection from both leaves a lot to be desired as well. I expected the line as a whole to take a while to get going with Daniels and Whitehair swapping places and none fo them getting a large number of reps in preseason but if it doesn't start to improve overall they might need to swap in some of the younger guys (kid from Notre Dame?) and give them a few weeks to see if they can get going (Longs spot).

What I don't understand is HH is one of the best line coaches in football... Is it more of play design not taking advantage of strengths or just flat out not enough desire by Long and Leno (singling them out because they both are the biggest problems).

Either way, if they aren't looking cohesive after the bye something drastic needs to be done. They won't go far in the playoffs with the current level of play all across the board on the o-line.

I don't think desire's the issue. Leno is, at his peak, pleasantly serviceable, and the tradeoff for his mediocre stability is he has shown he can stay healthy and be an incredible value for his position.

Long is, as what's been the unfortunate trend, injured again, and has been all season. He pretty much plays in a constant state of injury at this point, and some weeks it's simply too much. Until you've got a better substitution than Ted Larsen and Rashaad Coward, you kinda have to keep trotting Long out there and hoping for the best.
EricTighe
MVP

We only need Mack this game.

This is going to make Gruden and Carr have nightmares for years to come.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Knuckles
Player of the Month

I've seen both play at a high level but what I see this year and what's been brought up by Bears Barroom in his vids you see them both look lost. If you haven't seen his vids he's been right on for most of his vids going back to last year IMHO. But, those two have been playing so bad they look lost at times. It's not a health thing really. It's more of just blowing blocks or not even being on the same page.

BTW I've tried to use the quoted reply feature but it doesn't show up for me anymore as well as I cannot see linked picts... Anyhow just wanted to let who/ever know... :?
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Is our center causing more issues than we realize with the rest of the line?
UOK
Site Admin

Knuckles wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:49 pm I've seen both play at a high level but what I see this year and what's been brought up by Bears Barroom in his vids you see them both look lost. If you haven't seen his vids he's been right on for most of his vids going back to last year IMHO. But, those two have been playing so bad they look lost at times. It's not a health thing really. It's more of just blowing blocks or not even being on the same page.

BTW I've tried to use the quoted reply feature but it doesn't show up for me anymore as well as I cannot see linked picts... Anyhow just wanted to let who/ever know... :?
Is this from your computer or a phone?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Rhyme Time!

Sit back and read The Tale Of Khalil.
Chucky The Dumbass traded him for real.
With angry eyes like Mr. Potato Head.
He will watch Mack make Carr dead.
And with a second rounder, what a deal!
Knuckles
Player of the Month

it's my computer... I use adblock if that's an issue.
UOK
Site Admin

Adblocking can do it for sure. I’d recommend switching to uBlock Origin.
UOK
Site Admin

Larsen and Gabriel didn’t travel with the team to London.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

BEARS 20

Raiders 13

Bears D will either score a tuddy or set one up by causing a TO deep in Raider territory.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OK. What are people doing that have Dish Network? I'm so fucking pissed right now. Dish is holding it's customers hostage, as bargaining chips in it's fight with Fox. I really don't want to go to a bar to watch the game. This sucks.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

UOK wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:07 pm Adblocking can do it for sure. I’d recommend switching to uBlock Origin.
Looks to be working now thanks!
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:29 pm OK. What are people doing that have Dish Network? I'm so fucking pissed right now. Dish is holding it's customers hostage, as bargaining chips in it's fight with Fox. I really don't want to go to a bar to watch the game. This sucks.
They did that with my local cable provider with NFL chan and ESPN not long ago. They just threatened to take like 20% of the channels off our lineup including comedy central and AMC. I'm thinking about leaving cable altogether and going with a streaming service like one my friend uses (can't remember the name offhand). He gets everything on TV for 25 bucks a month and can use up to 3 TVs all you need is a Amazon Firestick. He gets every sports channel including all live broadcasts and PPV events.

All you need is the service and a VPN so you're looking at like 30 bucks a month.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:29 pm OK. What are people doing that have Dish Network? I'm so fucking pissed right now. Dish is holding it's customers hostage, as bargaining chips in it's fight with Fox. I really don't want to go to a bar to watch the game. This sucks.
Use the reddit link in the OP.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

I am so Pumped for this game!! Excitment mixed with nerves...can't wait argh!!
Have a great day
BR0D1E86
MVP

Kyle Long and Roquan both practiced without restriction. Hicks was limited, and still questionable. Looking more positive that he might be able to go. Nagy is still saying game time decision. Gabriel and Nichols are both out, along with Ted Larsen and Igueyeineeuemebe.

The Raiders starting RG (Gabe Jackson) is out. Clelin Ferrell, JJ Nelson and Richie Incognito are all questionable and haven’t practiced at all this week. So they could be missing two of their better interior linemen.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm The Raiders starting RG (Gabe Jackson) is out. Clelin Ferrell, JJ Nelson and Richie Incognito are all questionable and haven’t practiced at all this week. So they could be missing two of their better interior linemen.
If I was Carr, I would call in sick.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm just floored that Incognito still has a job.