Wk 5 // CHICAGO BEARS "@" OAKLAND RAIDERS OF LONDON

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:43 am I don't know where else to put this - it certainly doesn't belong in the conversation about #10. But don't the Bears basically have to pull Bray up onto the 53 from the PS? I love Tarik. But let's just say not as a backup QB...
Some have speculated that Mitch could be healthy enough to be the backup.
WagonForce
MVP

This is a weird one, not just being in London (though that is big).

If the Bears are going to randomly drop a game against an opponent that is well below them in the power rankings this game would be a good candidate. Nonetheless, even with Daniel starting at QB, I think the Bears take this one.

Bears 24
Raiders 13
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 am The Raiders O is going to need catastrophic healthcare coverage for this one.

Bear 41
Raider 13
I like the way you think.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 pm My short tempered phillipina gf is a raiders fan, im a bears fan that grew up in London.

no matter the score, this will not end well for me.

Bears 17

Raiders 14
The girlfriend situation is interesting.

When I was dating my wife the sports situation was bleak. This is what I inherited:

Her father painted the interior of the house during the ‘85 Super Bowl. No care of sports whatsoever.
The Jordan Era Bulls lost every road game whenever she would come over to watch the game. Home games were just fine.
She did not watch any Bears games until we started dating. I had to teach her football.
She was a casual Cubs fan like 99% of my experience with most Cubs “fans”.
She did like professional wrestling (which we don’t watch anymore) and boxing (huge plus).

Now it’s aces. She’s got a Bears jersey, assorted other Bears swag, never misses a game, structures our chores and errands to get done before Sundays and even proactively refuses invitations to events that take place during a game.

My point is, these things can be fixed. Just keep on keeping on. You got this.
Funkster
MVP

Do any of you know if this game will be streamed on NFL.com? Not sure why I agreed to a camping trip during the season. I must be loosing my mind.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Middleguard
MVP

Bears' offense dropped two spots in my rankings, from 22 to 24; the D remains #2; and the team overall dropped a notch to #9. But they're now expected to finish 10-6 (up from 9-7) because most of their future opponents also dropped.

This is the first time I've tried to predict a London game. Raiders are considered the home team, but who, if either, will have a home field advantage? Any opinions on that from you Brits?

Bears 23 Raiders 13
docc
Head Coach

Oak Vegas,,? What home? In London..do Raider fans need parole officer approval..and can they even get a passport?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Bears: 30
Raiders: 9

As my kid would say, "Daniels is the G.O.A.T."
Xee
Site Admin

Z Bear wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:29 am This is the Khalil Mack revenge game!!!
I keep the game described like this and I'm honestly wondering, what happened at Oakland that justifies this is a revenge game? I'm probably out of the loop but I don't remember any drama around the trade from his side when it happened. Was he angry at the time for being sent to Chicago?
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm
Z Bear wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:29 am This is the Khalil Mack revenge game!!!
I keep the game described like this and I'm honestly wondering, what happened at Oakland that justifies this is a revenge game? I'm probably out of the loop but I don't remember any drama around the trade from his side when it happened. Was he angry at the time for being sent to Chicago?
Derek Carr and Khalil Mack were really tight, and Mack was close-knit to a lot of the guys on the roster. Carr and Mack were both coming up for new deals. Mack wanted a shitload, but Carr had earned star QB money. Plus the Raiders brought in Gruden and he wanted assets to build the team in his vision. Mack held out for more money and Gruden and Raiders brass couldn't wait any longer and didn't want to lose value. They then paid Carr.

I'm guessing Mack was double-talked by a lot of those high up in the Raiders organization about dealing with him fairly, making him a bunch of assurances and promises that went by the wayside in preference of Gruden, Carr, and picks.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Maybe I'm weird, but from watching the overwhelming tenacity in Mack's play every game, it's hard for me to imagine that he could ramp it up to a higher level. When you're the best in the world at what you do, how does a revenge motive make you even stronger? Not saying it's not possible. But the guy goes all out on every play. All out + 1 is hard for me to envision.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:18 pm Maybe I'm weird, but from watching the overwhelming tenacity in Mack's play every game, it's hard for me to imagine that he could ramp it up to a higher level. When you're the best in the world at what you do, how does a revenge motive make you even stronger? Not saying it's not possible. But the guy goes all out on every play. All out + 1 is hard for me to envision.
That's the thing. Mack is exacting revenge on the Raiders with every down he plays, regardless of who he's facing.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mack making a play followed by a quick cut to Chuckie's face should be a drinking game.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bears 27
Raiders 10
I predict 2 scores from the O with 1 coming from a short field, and 1 score from the D.
Oakland gets a turnover to get a score early, but do nothing else.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Middleguard wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm
This is the first time I've tried to predict a London game. Raiders are considered the home team, but who, if either, will have a home field advantage? Any opinions on that from you Brits?
Having attended 10+ London games, I can assure you there will not be an obvious home team.

Every single team is represented in the crowd at a London game. You will see obscure jerseys, throwbacks, old NFL Europe jerseys, all sorts. People just turn out to watch football, not necessarily their team.

The "home" team get the benefit of having their cheerleaders and branding in the stadium, but that does not always mean they will have the crowd on their side. There is generally no clear distinction in crowd noise levels when home team is on Offense or Defense.

Typically, in my experience the Bears and Raiders are two teams that are well represented, with Raiders maybe having the edge.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:48 pm Mack making a play followed by a quick cut to Chuckie's face should be a drinking game.
I’m down with that. If they cut to Gruden after. Big Mack play, we have to shotgun a beer.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Bears are going to kill OAK... Gruden is all hype he's done nothing other than take Dungy's team to the SB and then dismantled it by getting rid of all the good players and replacing them with older has-beens and do nothing since. He's doing it in OAK as we speak. They just sidelined Burfict for the rest of the season for another helmet to helmet hit and honestly, there's no one on that team that scares me.

I hope Mack, RRH and Pineiro have great games and rub it in Grudens face LOL. The best interview I've seen all year was Gruden trying to laugh while trying to move on from Brown questions... He get's rid of Mack (dedicated hard worker and role model... Shit he always brought up on MNF as an asset to a team) and then spends top dollar and picks on this guy only to watch him piss off the entire coaching staff and GM only to be released for no compensation. Man it's good TV! I never liked Gruden, the best thing to happen was for him to get that coaching job so we wouldn't have to listen to him on Monday nights anymore...

Bears win this by 30+ points with a back up QB...

37 - 6
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:03 pm
Xee wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Derek Carr and Khalil Mack were really tight, and Mack was close-knit to a lot of the guys on the roster. Carr and Mack were both coming up for new deals. Mack wanted a shitload, but Carr had earned star QB money. Plus the Raiders brought in Gruden and he wanted assets to build the team in his vision. Mack held out for more money and Gruden and Raiders brass couldn't wait any longer and didn't want to lose value. They then paid Carr.

I'm guessing Mack was double-talked by a lot of those high up in the Raiders organization about dealing with him fairly, making him a bunch of assurances and promises that went by the wayside in preference of Gruden, Carr, and picks.
To me this is the football equivalent of Mack getting back at an old boss that screwed him and then went to another organization. I'm sure a lot of us have been there either with a raise or a promotion. I have. I hope he tears Chucky a new one.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It would be such karma if Mack scored a TD in this game.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
LacertineForest
MVP

Bears 25
Raiders 11

London games are weird, so I'm going with a weird score. The Raiders #1 WR is currently questionable with a foot injury - Bears are going to feast in this one. I think the offense will be able to move the ball down the field, but struggle to punch it in. I think the defense scores a TD or safety in this one.
Ormazd
MVP

I know Mitch has more "potential", but Chase looked better Sunday than #10 has so far this season. The defense was scary good, near (dare I say it?) 1985 level annihilation despite missing a couple key guys.

Bears 24, Raiders 13
wab
Mod

I know Mitch has more "potential", but Chase looked better Sunday than #10 has so far this season.
I can't say that I agree. Chase was ok. He did exactly what he needed to do, but he didn't really make an exceptional plays.

For a guy that has been in this exact offense for 8 years, he should have been able to put op more than one TD in as many trips to the red zone as they had and given how short the field was all game.
WagonForce
MVP

On the Mitch/Chase discussion for this game one thought sticks in my mind. The Raiders will be scheming against Chase this week, as opposed to the Vikings who were dialed up to handle Mitch and suddenly had to face a different type of QB.

I was really pleased with how Chase looked in relief last week but even against a worse defense in the Raiders this week I think he's going to have more challenges.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Ive been more critical of mitch this season then i usually am, but make no mistake about it he is the best QB on the roster. He NEEDS to take a few steps forward and soon.

Chase is what he is: a very good backup who you love coming in relief or a start or two for an injured starter(preferably vs a bad team like the raiders). Chase will run the offense and as long as the rest of the team plays good or better around him no one will be questioning chase. He just doesnt have the ability to make things happen by himself and does not make the team around him better. Good D’s will quickly expose that. For this team to get where they need to be mitch needs to be back vs NO
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think this game will be a little harder than it looks on paper, or how the final score will look. First they will be planning against both Chase and Kwiatkowski . Kwiat is a liability in passing, so if they use Waller and Jacobs for short fast passes over the middle at him it will be difficult for last weeks St. Nick to repeat, and will keep the pass rush off of Carr. They may be missing Tyrell Williams, if so that will be a help since it will allow the safeties to play a little closer. I do think the defense is going to score again this game. I also think Monty will get the rock a lot. this is the game to be a "get right" game for the run.

Bears 30 - 3 tds, 1 defense, and 3 FGs
Raiders - 12 points
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 am
I can't say that I agree. Chase was ok. He did exactly what he needed to do, but he didn't really make an exceptional plays.

For a guy that has been in this exact offense for 8 years, he should have been able to put op more than one TD in as many trips to the red zone as they had and given how short the field was all game.
The main thing I noticed was he just seemed really calm in the pocket, had better mechanics, went through his reads, pump faked a lot (might be recency bias but I don't think I've seen Mitch do that nearly as much), and just seemed more settled. Granted, all this resulted in nothing better than what Mitch has been doing to this point, but they were things that just stuck out to me.
IE
Hall of Famer

Daniels is calmer because he's an old, experienced guy and really understands the offense. It is as simple as that. 10 is an excitable young skippy with a high ceiling. Both good guys. I'm good with either at this point in terms of my expectations of the Bears winning. But the reality is every game Chase is out there is one less game of experience for Mitch - and he's the long term commitment. Might as well get on with it.

The reason I predicted such a high scoring game for the Bears is I agree with you wab that it was disappointing that Chase couldn't get at least one more TD with those shorter fields last week... and I believe he will this week because it WAS against the Vikes and they probably have the best D the Bears have faced or will for some time. The Saints look pretty stout. Who else? Seems like the gauntlet of tough teams on the schedule aren't looking as tough from the vantage point of week 5. Outside of the NFC North... nobody really scary. Good outlook for the Bears not-fully-baked O.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:27 pm Do any of you know if this game will be streamed on NFL.com? Not sure why I agreed to a camping trip during the season. I must be loosing my mind.
well, that depends ... if you're camping to be with nature and some interested and attractive ladies, taking a camping trip over football can be understood

if you're going to be out in the woods with a bunch of your buddies emulating the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles, then yeah, you're nuts

:D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

WagonForce wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 am On the Mitch/Chase discussion for this game one thought sticks in my mind. The Raiders will be scheming against Chase this week, as opposed to the Vikings who were dialed up to handle Mitch and suddenly had to face a different type of QB.

I was really pleased with how Chase looked in relief last week but even against a worse defense in the Raiders this week I think he's going to have more challenges.
This is true but he's also going to get a full week of practice snaps and gameplanning, for him, in place. Plus there isn't that much tape on him in in Nagy's system.

Until our offensive line improves I'm not going to predict piles of points but I can see us moving to an attack that gets the ball out quickly and Daniels managing it well. With some short fields we bag 3 TDs and a couple of field goals. Carr can move the ball but not early against this D and especially not when our run defence just says no.

Bears 27, Raiders 13 (with their TD coming in garbage time as the discord gets mad about prevent defences).
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Assuming at this point that neither Mitch nor Roquan are going to play I'm going to guess that both teams end up dinkin and dunkin between the 20's but that both struggle to get into the endzone. Neither team gets 100 yard rushing and long throws are scarce. One big play by the beloved makes the difference.

Bears 23
Raiders 16