Khalil Mack - 18 Games - 17 Sacks - 11 Forced Fumbles

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Chicago Tribune did something cool today, and I wanted to bring it to BFO. Last year when Ryan Pace traded for Khalil Mack, there was a lot of concern for the cost. Could he live up to TWO 1st ROUND PICKS, a $160M contract.

We're a little over one year in now. If I were to pose this question;

The biggest impact Khalil Mack has had on the Bears is______?

My answer: Leadership

Yes he's a great pass rusher, and a physically gifted football player. But the effort and commitment that he shows to his craft, lifts up all the other players around him. Other players are drawn to him, and try and raise their game to his level. Don't for a second think that the emergence of RRH, Williams, Kwiatkowski and Bilal Nichols has nothing to do with Mack. He inspires those around him to be better players.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

My answer: Unpredictability

The best thing about a guy like Mack is that the offense has to focus on him so much that they cannot account for everybody else on the defense. Because Mack gets double teamed that's less people to have focus on the down lineman so we see guys like RRH and Williams step up. I'm sure Mack makes Hicks better too. The pass rush then obviously makes the secondary better. It opens up a ton of options for Pagano to get at the QB.

The shocker to me, and this reminds me of Jordan, is that Mack gets the double teams, he gets held on virtually every play (99% of which are never called) and yet he's still putting up huge numbers.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:52 am My answer: Unpredictability

The shocker to me, and this reminds me of Jordan, is that Mack gets the double teams, he gets held on virtually every play (99% of which are never called) and yet he's still putting up huge numbers.
Could you imagine if the referees called holding penalties every time Mack was egregiously held? The game would slow to a crawl.
UOK
Site Admin

The biggest impact he's had on the Bears is entirely crippling opposing gameplans. He makes everyone on defense better around him, sure, but when the Bears are playing against another team, they're not thinking, "how to stop Khalil Mack," they're thinking, "I hope Mack doesn't fuck us up TOO badly."

Because they know he's going to get his, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

"The attention he demands".
Teams absolutely positively have to account for him with 2 players generally. And he still averages a sack, almost a fumble and multiple pressures a game. And when we're playing 10 vs. 9 (or 8 if you don't count the QB), that loosens things up for HIcks, RRH, Goldman, Nichols, Smith, etc. It's a dramatic reason why our defense overwhelms opposing offenses.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 am The biggest impact he's had on the Bears is entirely crippling opposing gameplans. He makes everyone on defense better around him, sure, but when the Bears are playing against another team, they're not thinking, "how to stop Khalil Mack," they're thinking, "I hope Mack doesn't fuck us up TOO badly."

Because they know he's going to get his, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.
I'll second

he makes the opponent game plan for him, around him ... so even when he doesn't make the play, his presence allows others on the defense opportunities they otherwise would not get
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

All the things the media spouted about during and after the trade about him being a generational talent that your team dreams of acquiring are true. I mean, he's literally a preachers kid. If he learned anything from his pops, which I'm sure he did, he learned leadership and how to motivate the people around you to be better. The fact that he's such an athletic freak paired with his humble nature, the sky is the limit. Everybody talks about being the best ever, but this guy actually has a chance to be the best. His biggest impact IMO is his ability to raise up the talent around him and make them all believe they can achieve greatness..... that and you can't even quadruple team the guy. Unblockable.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:27 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:52 am My answer: Unpredictability

Could you imagine if the referees called holding penalties every time Mack was egregiously held? The game would slow to a crawl.
Works for me. I'm up for a five hour game where our defense enjoys the advantage of 1st and 50 several times. :)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:38 pm All the things the media spouted about during and after the trade about him being a generational talent that your team dreams of acquiring are true. I mean, he's literally a preachers kid. If he learned anything from his pops, which I'm sure he did, he learned leadership and how to motivate the people around you to be better. The fact that he's such an athletic freak paired with his humble nature, the sky is the limit. Everybody talks about being the best ever, but this guy actually has a chance to be the best. His biggest impact IMO is his ability to raise up the talent around him and make them all believe they can achieve greatness..... that and you can't even quadruple team the guy. Unblockable.
In terms of the best ever, who do you think is the best pass rusher of all time?

I'm still leaning towards Lawrence Taylor. Mack still has all kinds of time to earn that title. I need to look at the numbers and see where the best of the best compare.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:47 pmIn terms of the best ever, who do you think is the best pass rusher of all time?

I'm still leaning towards Lawrence Taylor.
I totally agree. LT set the bar for Mack.
jamus34
Journeyman

For me - Lift

As in his play lifts up everyone else on the Defense. Every single guy on that side of the field has been playing balls out. And really minus the one drive in GB every point the other team has scored on us had to be hard-fought.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:51 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:47 pmIn terms of the best ever, who do you think is the best pass rusher of all time?

I'm still leaning towards Lawrence Taylor.
I totally agree. LT set the bar for Mack.
What's funny to me is that their personalities are totally different. I watch a lot of Mack interviews on YouTube and the guy is just about as low key as possible. This is like choosing between a crazy chainsaw killer (LT) and Michael Myers the shape that just keeps coming (Mack).

When looking at these numbers its important to remember that they didn't hand out 15 yard personal fouls for tackling when Lawrence Taylor played. Mack plays in an era where the rules heavily favor protecting the QB.

They must not have tracked forced fumbles when LT played. This is showing he has zero. Mack has 19. 10 of those with the Bears and that's in 1.25 seasons! Holy shit!

LT had 9 nine interceptions. Mack has 2. LT had 3 in one season (87).

LT's high sack year was 86 when he had 20.5. Mack's so far was 15 in 2015. He has 4.5 so far this year. He's on pace for 18.

LT won Defensive Player of the Year 4 times plus one MVP award. Mack has won DPOY 1 time with no MVP awards.

LT had issues with failing drug tests. What good would a player of that caliber be on repeated suspensions?

If you had to pick a player to play in TODAY'S era you'd have to go with Mack. Reason being is that I think LT's style would be too violent for today's game and he'd be a magnet for 15 yard personal fouls.

Irregardless of era, I just don't know. Mack appears to be more of a complete player, but it doesn't look like they tracked forced fumbles in LT's era. Maybe the suspension risk makes me choose Mack. Again, I just don't know.

Lawrence Taylor

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ylLa00.htm

Khalil Mack

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ckKh00.htm
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The roughing the passer penalties this year are nuts. But it's becoming obvious.... you cannot hit the QB if he's not holding the ball. I like to tell my wife that guys like Von Miller and Mack won't have any issues since they're always going for the ball. The QB is just the guy holding the prize. Watching Clay Matthews get flagged last night cemented my opinion. Guys like him are going to have problems.... even if they see the ball, they're always going to go for the big hit.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mack's had several opportunities to rock QB's from their blind side and instead he reaches around and try's to pry the ball out, ignoring the chance at a big hit.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 pm Mack's had several opportunities to rock QB's from their blind side and instead he reaches around and try's to pry the ball out, ignoring the chance at a big hit.
Well. That's the difference between smart...and Clay Matthews.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Urlacher was very similar in that he was a dominant player that rarely got roughing penalties. Most he did get were complete bullshit legal hits.

For me Mack is very similar to Reggie. LT was just freak speed/athleticism combo whereas Reggie could just run your ass over when he really wanted to.

Although Mack plays a different spot, he is more out of the peanut, urlacher mold on the field. A completely dominant football player that is out there to dominate but not hurt other players.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He could have tried to hit Cousins here, but his focus is completely on the arm holding the football. Next level strats. I remember an interview he did where he said he'd way rather have a strip sack than a sack.
jamus34
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:42 pm Urlacher was very similar in that he was a dominant player that rarely got roughing penalties. Most he did get were complete bullshit legal hits.

For me Mack is very similar to Reggie. LT was just freak speed/athleticism combo whereas Reggie could just run your ass over when he really wanted to.

Although Mack plays a different spot, he is more out of the peanut, urlacher mold on the field. A completely dominant football player that is out there to dominate but not hurt other players.
The one Hochuli called with the "flexing before hitting the QB" vs Minny (I think it was Brad Johnson) was probably the worse of the worst.

It wasn't even a hit he just pushed him down, legally, when he could have planted him and it was flagged.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Damn shame he didn't make the flight to the UK this week.