Harry Hiestand

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

What in the world is going on with this OL this year? Same group of guys, but they all seem to have forgotten how to block. Is it the Daniels Whitehair switch making that big of a difference? Leno has been shit since paid, Massie been his usual ok here bad there, Long is just horrid.
They can't run block, only give 2 seconds in pass blocking.

My old coach always said everything starts up front, and well this front/coach needs a kick in the ass or a kick to the curb I'm fine with either at the moment.
Richie
MVP

Our running backs are averaging a combined 2.8 YPC

Just take that in for a moment... 2.8 yards per carry.

This line needs to figure something out and do it fast. You can make a run in the NFL with just a serviceable/pedestrian passing game and a phenomenal D. However, you cannot work through a non-existent run game on top of that. Impossible. You will crash and burn.

The play of the O-line is infinitely more worrisome to me than our QB or play calling situation.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The complete lack of a running game is killing this team; it's that simple.

They got rid of Howard because he was a bad fit for this offense, but it's clear now that Howard wasn't the problem. He's doing perfectly fine in Philadelphia who run a similar offense.

Howard's last two games:
15 carries for 87 yards (5.8 ypc) and 2 TDs plus 3 catches for 28 yards and another TD
13 carries for 62 yards (4.6 ypc) and 1 TD

For the season he's averaging 4.7 ypc.

Our current RBs can't even gain 3 yards consistently. I've never seen a Bears running attack as bad as this. It's clearly not the RBs that are the problem. Our O-line flat out sucks.

Without an at least functional running game this offense simply cannot operate consistently. The passing game is never going to be perfect all the time and our young QB and his veteran backup who has played in only a handful of games in his career cannot carry the offense on their shoulders every single drive. Our great defense cannot maintain intensity throughout games if the offense can't run the ball to take time off the clock and give the defense some rest.

Hiestand was touted as the ultimate offense line guru. Is he the problem? Is it the playbook? Is it the type of blocking it requires? Is it that the players just aren't as good as we thought they were? They were good enough to all get nice paydays in recent years (Daniels aside) and it's difficult to believe it's an attitude thing given the culture of this team.

Whatever the root causes, Nagy and his coaches have got two weeks to figure it out or this season is going to go nowhere.
wab
Mod

Listening to Hoge and Jahns this morning, they mentioned that Hiestand has been displeased with the OL dating back to training camp. Apparently he had an absolute meltdown on the sidelines yesterday.

I don't think it has anything to do with Hiestand. Leno's limitations are being exposed with the new emphasis on holding.

I made a note to watch the OL as much as I could yesterday, and I noticed that Daniels and Whitehair are being hampered by Long. Daniels has to leave his blocks early to help Long out, because he literally can't block anyone...so Daniels is trying to cover his ass, and that hangs Whitehair out to dry. On multiple plays, Daniels has his guy locked down, but notices Long's guy starting to break free, or come through clean, so Daniels releases and tries to at least chip the guy blowing by 75.

It's not as noticeable in pass pro, but it's the primary reason that Montgomery can't get to the 2nd level. It was infuriating to watch.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I've seen the same thing, @wab. Long has been just awful, and Daniels is desperately trying to cover.

Leno has always been "serviceable", and always good for a false start every other game or so (it's kind of the curse of an offensive tackle). Yesterday was bad.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Harry Hiestand hasn't been a respected OL coach for decades by being an idiot. Players have to play.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

So do we let Coward play guard? Larsen if he’s healthy after the bye? Nagy is a player’s coach blah blah, that’s great. Long is cooked. Beyond redemption. Nagy also needs to hold players accountable, and he’s easily been the worst performer of the 22 starters this season.
wab
Mod

I think Long has to go to IR if his hip/age/overall wear from football is causing him to be this ineffective. Larsen isn't healthy either, so let Coward start in his place, and bring up Bars from the PS.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 am Listening to Hoge and Jahns this morning, they mentioned that Hiestand has been displeased with the OL dating back to training camp. Apparently he had an absolute meltdown on the sidelines yesterday.

I don't think it has anything to do with Hiestand. Leno's limitations are being exposed with the new emphasis on holding.

I made a note to watch the OL as much as I could yesterday, and I noticed that Daniels and Whitehair are being hampered by Long. Daniels has to leave his blocks early to help Long out, because he literally can't block anyone...so Daniels is trying to cover his ass, and that hangs Whitehair out to dry. On multiple plays, Daniels has his guy locked down, but notices Long's guy starting to break free, or come through clean, so Daniels releases and tries to at least chip the guy blowing by 75.

It's not as noticeable in pass pro, but it's the primary reason that Montgomery can't get to the 2nd level. It was infuriating to watch.
I just said almost the exact same thing in the game thread. This starts and stops with removing Long. Putting Coward in his place. And possibly switching Whitehair and Daniels back. Whitehair has been praised in the past, by football critics, as being an outstanding young C. Maybe he just needs to stay there.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:22 pm
wab wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 am Listening to Hoge and Jahns this morning, they mentioned that Hiestand has been displeased with the OL dating back to training camp. Apparently he had an absolute meltdown on the sidelines yesterday.

I just said almost the exact same thing in the game thread. This starts and stops with removing Long. Putting Coward in his place. And possibly switching Whitehair and Daniels back. Whitehair has been praised in the past, by football critics, as being an outstanding young C. Maybe he just needs to stay there.
The Whitehair / Daniels move makes no sense. Whitehair is a young linemen and he struggled as a C. So what’s the response? Replace him with a different young OL who is now struggling. I could see it if we signed a veteran C as an FA. That move just made no sense to me.

I couldn’t stand Kyle Long when he was “good”. Now this is just a train wreck.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Yea Harry H would have been funny to watch if I wasn’t a bears fan. His hat was kicked more times then any soccer ball will have been in that stadium.

The biggest issues were all there to see for me following the McManis fumble as the resulting plays were all in front of me. On our own 1 yard line the line had zero push none. That’s why we can’t run we aren’t moving anyone away from the l.O.s we lack power and aggression to run down the gut. I’d sure love to see the creativity gruden had with Jacobs. Pitch back get your big lineman running downhill while the opposing big d lineman are having to go sideways . People shifting weight are easier to knock down.!
Have a great day
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The old saying, “ Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit” applies. I am sorry, but coaches make their names coaching good players, especially at this level.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Olin speaking of Long's sub par play:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/olin-kreut ... 41747.html
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Watching the All-22 and focusing on the oline unpleasant.

Leno had a rough game, especially early. The holding calls were away from play side and he's too careless with his left arm. He said in his postgame interview "i thought I got my helmet across his body" and I agree with him. He should have cleaned it up in-game but over the by week I'm hopeful he can do it.

I'm not so optimistic for long. He's losing with his feet. He's not quick and he's not anchoring. An average guard can do one or the other. He's getting pushed back on every play that he doesn't whiff or end up on the ground. He's not winning any of these plays. Leno had a bad game with some costly penalties but there were also 20 or so plays where he looked fine. Not Long. Every running play starts with the RB making a lateral move to avoid the guy 75 was supposed to block. Every passing play starts with him getting stood straight up. It's time for Coward or Bars to get a shot in practice this week.
xyt in the discord chats
BR0D1E86
MVP

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... nse-week-5

Long, unsurprisingly, was the Bears lowest rated offensive player of the week. Shockingly it wasn’t his worst performance of the season so far though, according to PFF.

Dude is cooked. Your average guard picked up off the street right now would be an improvement. He’s simply been one of the worst players at any position in the league this season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 pm Watching the All-22 and focusing on the oline unpleasant.

Leno had a rough game, especially early. The holding calls were away from play side and he's too careless with his left arm. He said in his postgame interview "i thought I got my helmet across his body" and I agree with him. He should have cleaned it up in-game but over the by week I'm hopeful he can do it.

I'm not so optimistic for long. He's losing with his feet. He's not quick and he's not anchoring. An average guard can do one or the other. He's getting pushed back on every play that he doesn't whiff or end up on the ground. He's not winning any of these plays. Leno had a bad game with some costly penalties but there were also 20 or so plays where he looked fine. Not Long. Every running play starts with the RB making a lateral move to avoid the guy 75 was supposed to block. Every passing play starts with him getting stood straight up. It's time for Coward or Bars to get a shot in practice this week.
Do you have the NFL Game Pass to get the All-22? What do you think of it? My understanding is that you can't watch live games on the All-22 only past games? That wouldn't be a reason for me to not do it.

I want to get it but I'd like to get feedback from somebody about it first. Thanks.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfanuk wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm Yea Harry H would have been funny to watch if I wasn’t a bears fan. His hat was kicked more times then any soccer ball will have been in that stadium.

The biggest issues were all there to see for me following the McManis fumble as the resulting plays were all in front of me. On our own 1 yard line the line had zero push none. That’s why we can’t run we aren’t moving anyone away from the l.O.s we lack power and aggression to run down the gut. I’d sure love to see the creativity gruden had with Jacobs. Pitch back get your big lineman running downhill while the opposing big d lineman are having to go sideways . People shifting weight are easier to knock down.!
It's clear that his hip injury is worse than he's letting on. He can't get low enough to get a push, so he's getting stood up at the LOS, and doesn't have the strength to anchor. Bad news man.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Do you have the NFL Game Pass to get the All-22? What do you think of it? My understanding is that you can't watch live games on the All-22 only past games? That wouldn't be a reason for me to not do it.

I want to get it but I'd like to get feedback from somebody about it first. Thanks.
Yes I have Game Pass.

Here's what you get: During the games you get live audio, and you can choose Home or Away local radio announcers. That's a nice feature if you don't want to hear the national broadcast team stumble through player names, etc.

Soon after the games you can watch the broadcast version or a condensed version that ends up being 45-50 mins which is perfect for work lunch breaks. I like to watch the upcoming Bears opponents this way, or just whatever team I'm curious about.

On Tuesday morning you get access to the All-22 tape. The UI is fairly clumsy but you can pick which plays to watch and use slow motion etc to really get nerdy with it. You have access the whole offseason, too, so if the Bears sign somebody you can watch them play for their old team, etc.

I don't like to give the NFL my money because they're disgusting and oppressive and whatnot, but in this case I'm willing to sell out. Take that as a strong endorsement for this product.
xyt in the discord chats
skamanfrank
Journeyman

If you are comfortable messing around with VPNs then I highlighy recommend NFL Game Pass Europe/International/whatever it's correct name is.....

.....you get every game live (except 1 afternoon and 1 evening game which is blacked out because it's shown on Sky Sports, but is available soon after the game) and you also get NFL Network and all the NFL films archive (not sure if the latter is included on the domestic version).

I highly recommend it.

EDIT: You still don't get live games in All-22 form, only past games. But my understanding is that you don't get live games at all on the US/domestic version?
But why would you want the international version of GamePass rather than the USA version? That’s because unfortunately, the USA version of GamePass has many of the same problems that cable TV sports channels have. For example, the USA version of GamePass does not include access to live regular season, playoff, or Super Bowl game broadcasts. If you want to watch these games live, you’ll still need a subscription to a sports broadcaster like CBS or Fox Sports Go. And this rather undermines the point of instant-access TV: you don’t want to have to wait to watch games! Sports events are time sensitive, and if you miss a match you’ll miss out on the possibility of discussing the game with friends or following commentary about it in the news.

By contrast, the international version of GamePass lets you watch all season games live, without restrictions – all 65 preseason games, 256 regular season games, and even playoffs and the Super Bowl. It’s how USA fans wish that GamePass operated. There are also some nice extra features in the international version of GamePass, such as the ability to watch up to four streams at the same time with split screen, or the ability to stream to multiple devices at once.
https://www.addictivetips.com/media-str ... l_GamePass
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Thanks guys. I'm going to give this thing a go and see.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Anybody have experience using NFL gamepass with a a VPN in the USA? Do you need to have a billing address in Europe to purchase ?
docc
Head Coach

Good question.. I would guess the NFL has that nailed down. I watch on the "nigerian" links without much difficulty..and $0 cost..