Update: Kyle Long to IR for 4th straight season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

I think this is the right move... while he might not necessarily be debilitated enough to not play for us, this move in my opinion is protecting him from being benched.

Sucks. @wab I really didn't want to believe you when you said a year or so back that Kyle Long was never going to be the same player again and likely is done. You nailed it.

Curious to see if we go with Larsen or Coward... or bring up Bars?

BR0D1E86
MVP

“Standout.” Lol.

Though I guess that doesn’t imply that it’s in a positive way.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm really hoping Bars gets a shot at his spot. They just had a little battle over him, I'd like to see what the Pats saw.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:36 pm I'm really hoping Bars gets a shot at his spot. They just had a little battle over him, I'd like to see what the Pats saw.
I'm hoping for that as well, he turned them down and we gave him a nice pay raise. He's being paid as if he was on the 53 man roster. It's been one year since his knee surgery so I'm curious where his strength is at this point in time. Personally, I'd rather go with Bars or Coward over Larsen... but that's just me.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think we all saw this coming. It is too bad. When he was healthy, he put a whole new meaning to "Country Strong". He was an industrial road grader. But this is the NFL, and it's not always fair. I'm glad they made the move. It needed to happen.

I'm guessing that Bars will be in the mix somewhere. The Bears told him not to go to New England, so It must have something to do with their immediate plans. Hopefully this is the move that springs the OL back to life.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Good.

Screw Kyle Long. He got by for far too long on past "glory" and the ZOMG LONG name. This should've happened a long time ago. It just sucks that it took 1/4 of a season to realize this and then act upon it. How was his decline not exposed in blocking Goldman, Hicks, etc. etc. etc. during the preseason?

One of the most overrated Bears of all time I think.

Let's see what Bars has.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

sad he has to go out like this ... when healthy, he was a beast ... watching him now, he is so obviously diminished

apparently his latest issue is his hip?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 am sad he has to go out like this ... when healthy, he was a beast ... watching him now, he is so obviously diminished

apparently his latest issue is his hip?
His hip is shot, not sure which one. I'm guessing torn labrum, or just blew out all of the cartilage. Whatever it is, he can't bend and anchor anymore, and is forced to block with his upper body. Can't move laterally either. Really too bad.
wab
Mod

My guess is that Coward gets first crack at it. Bars will probably be starting by week 8 though.

I don't know how healthy Larsen is either.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I hope Coward gets the first crack at it. He looked really good in his one half of play this year. Bars has said he feels he needs to get his strength improved - I think he needs a year on the program. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being groomed to replace Leno at LT in 2020.
wab
Mod

Mr.Irrelevant wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am I hope Coward gets the first crack at it. He looked really good in his one half of play this year. Bars has said he feels he needs to get his strength improved - I think he needs a year on the program. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being groomed to replace Leno at LT in 2020.
He's pretty athletic for a big dude. I don't think he probably plays at the 320 plus that he's listed at.
wab
Mod

Confirmed by Nagy - Long is heading to IR for the 4th straight year.
IE
Hall of Famer

My favorite from the Long years:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

I love Kyle Long, but this is the right move. I hate that his last game in a Bears uniform will be remembered for probably one of the worst individual performances by an offensive lineman in team history.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Now that he's broken Rex Tucker's record for 3 consecutive seasons of "Once he comes back healthy next year, it's really going to bolster our line", we can finally stop setting millions in cap space on fire every year, right?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm Now that he's broken Rex Tucker's record for 3 consecutive seasons of "Once he comes back healthy next year, it's really going to bolster our line", we can finally stop setting millions in cap space on fire every year, right?
Well he counts almost 10mil against the cap next year with 0 dead money, so it's safe to assume that ship has sailed.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm Now that he's broken Rex Tucker's record for 3 consecutive seasons of "Once he comes back healthy next year, it's really going to bolster our line", we can finally stop setting millions in cap space on fire every year, right?
Well he counts almost 10mil against the cap next year with 0 dead money, so it's safe to assume that ship has sailed.
Yep, he's a goner after this season. Sad ending for Kyle.

GSH
MVP

y'all think he straight up retires or tries to get on a team like the jets or cardinals?
wab
Mod

GSH wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 pm y'all think he straight up retires or tries to get on a team like the jets or cardinals?
I think he will try to catch on with another team in the offseason. Doesn't seem like the dude who goes willingly.
UOK
Site Admin

From TheAthletic:

“My emotions are just stuck,” tackle Charles Leno Jr. said. “Just kind of like, ‘Damn.’ Kind of down, but … His emotions are couldn’t tell you, probably all over the place right now. Spoke to him, though. He said, this is his words, he said he’s a Bear for life, though. So … that’s the words I remember him saying. That’s how he wanted to end things.”

So if anything, Long's going to retire and be sort of a Zach Miller figure that may enter some kind of alumnus role or possible position coach down the line. I don't know if he's going to endure any more.

------

I'm intrigued about Coward. I like the idea of having a young buck get out there and raise some hell. If he's garbage, at least we'll know, and not waste more time developing him. Bars I worry about thrusting in so soon, what with his knee and all that, but we may not have a choice if Coward sucks. For now though, Coward is a welcome upgrade over Kyle Long.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Love Kyle Long but this year felt like the times you go and see old rock bands in concert for a reunion tour. You arrive full of memories and love and leave thinking who the heck were the bunch of really old dudes with terribly ropey voices. I'm glad Long has bowed out before what he had with chicago fans was tainted forever
Have a great day
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:14 pm Good.

Screw Kyle Long. He got by for far too long on past "glory" and the ZOMG LONG name. This should've happened a long time ago. It just sucks that it took 1/4 of a season to realize this and then act upon it. How was his decline not exposed in blocking Goldman, Hicks, etc. etc. etc. during the preseason?

Let's see what Bars has.
That's pretty rough. The guy's body has broken down over and over and over, for the most part due to some really bizarre happenstances that were not his fault. It's not like he's acting all dweeby and not showing up to work every day. I agree that we need to move on, but it's not like he's just been collecting a paycheck without working at it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:52 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:14 pm Good.

Let's see what Bars has.
That's pretty rough. The guy's body has broken down over and over and over, for the most part due to some really bizarre happenstances that were not his fault. It's not like he's acting all dweeby and not showing up to work every day. I agree that we need to move on, but it's not like he's just been collecting a paycheck without working at it.
Long hasn’t been effective in three or four years and he is overrated IMO.

Kevin White got hurt in bizarre circumstances all the time. Should we have kept him?

They can’t tie up 8, 9, or 10 million dollars per year on somebody that gets hurt every season. I don’t believe that this just showed up when we played the Packers, Broncos and Redskins. What was he like in camp?
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I could see Long coming back as a position coach. He wasn't horrible until his body just broke down and couldn't take it anymore.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not needed as a position coach anytime soon.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I guess I get the negativity, the guy has been a huge disappointment the past few years. But it’s his body letting him down. Not like he’s not doing the work.

This is the right move, and I’m pleased that he’s probably played his last snap here, but I’m also a little bummed that injuries robbed the team of the prime of one of the better interior linemen in the league.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I blame Dion Sims for rolling up on him multiple times while earning 6 million a season for doing jack squat aside from injuring Long.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 pm I blame Dion Sims for rolling up on him multiple times while earning 6 million a season for doing jack squat aside from injuring Long.
Dion, would you like to respond to this slanderous claim?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/37a1a4d ... /tenor.gif
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

A sad way for a warrior to go down. Always was a great Bear, can't be blamed for his body breaking down. I hope Barr can take over soon, and be good, Ive little faith in Coward.