Bears Franchise Direction: Everything's Awful/Things Aren't So Bad/Etc.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Hello..my name is Docc
I am a football addict..and Bears Addict...

I watch every game I can..sometimes in bad years in the shop while working on my hotrods..other times glued to the computer or tv..
I built my two big dish years ago to watch uplinks..now Nigerian links or TV..whatever i can find..

Hopefully the cars get less attention next year..
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:07 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 am I used to be like alot of you and over analyze every single thing the Bears do. Then one day I woke up and realized it all meant nothing. The Bears would be the Bears with or without me. I watch when I can and when I want to now and if I don't I do better things with my time. Life and fandom are both a hell of a lot happier now. Some of you should try it
Hell no. This is too much fun.

I can't remember the last time I missed a game.
Agreed. This is my blessing and my curse.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 am Hello..my name is Docc

I watch every game I can..sometimes in bad years in the shop while working on my hotrods..other times glued to the computer or tv..
I built my two big dish years ago to watch uplinks..now Nigerian links or TV..whatever i can find..

"Hi Docc! Welcome!

You're safe here."

Bears Anonymous
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm
docc wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 am Hello..my name is Docc

"Hi Docc! Welcome!

You're safe here."

Bears Anonymous
Hi Docc.

I’m The Marshall Plan.

My father always told me never to hit another person in anger unless you were absolutely sure you could get away with it. And I just want you to know, and this goes for the rest of you, that if we ever get into any heavy combat I will be right behind you. Every step of the way.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm

"Hi Docc! Welcome!

You're safe here."

Bears Anonymous
Hi Docc.

I’m The Marshall Plan.

My father always told me never to hit another person in anger unless you were absolutely sure you could get away with it. And I just want you to know, and this goes for the rest of you, that if we ever get into any heavy combat I will be right behind you. Every step of the way.

Such a great movie.

"C'mon! It's Czechoslavakia. It's like going in to Wisconsin."
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

San Fran only passed 8 times yesterday. Good ball movement before the snap. A monstrous OL which pushed the Pack around like they were a younger brother. An effective pass catching TE. A RB who had been cut by 6 other teams and ran for the 2nd most yards in a playoff game with 4 TDs. Not abandoning the run when the Pack made their mini run in the 2nd half. The Chiefs stuck to their offensive game plan. They also have a great TE and skill players who fit their system. The Chiefs don't seem to have as much movement before the snap as the Bears. Both winners didn't blitz but put constant pressure on the opposing QB. The Bears need to decide on their offensive identity, get the players to execute their system, and call the plays to be effective in it.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm What I would do, is look within organizations that have consistent good results and interview their top Personnel college evaluators, especially if they have a good track record identifying quarterbacks and building a quarterback culture.
Because this has worked for anyone who has poached the Patriots executives?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

It’s weird that with this team being garbage with a garbage coach and a garbage front office...that players specifically mention wanting to come here.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm It’s weird that with this team being garbage with a garbage coach and a garbage front office...that players specifically mention wanting to come here.
It's weird, right? It's almost like professionals see more here than the fans do.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm It’s weird that with this team being garbage with a garbage coach and a garbage front office...that players specifically mention wanting to come here.
Huh, or...

Team has a position you play as a major need.

Coach and GM who are on hot seat, need to win now and may need to get creative to win.

Both of wich could add money into your pocket.

Yeah I'm dont by your implication WAB.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

98% of the reason a player chooses the Bears is money. 1% because of EJax (I. E. Clinton-Dix). 1% because of deep dish and Italian beefs.

On that note, I have possible exciting news for 2022:
UOK
Site Admin

JJ Watt will have the body of a 164 year old man by 2022.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

They've had a Portillo's in Tempe AZ for a couple years now. I still cringe every time I hear somebody pronounce it as Por-tee-oh's.
Ormazd
MVP

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:54 pm They've had a Portillo's in Tempe AZ for a couple years now. I still cringe every time I hear somebody pronounce it as Por-tee-oh's.
Well, that IS how Italians would pronounce it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:54 pm They've had a Portillo's in Tempe AZ for a couple years now. I still cringe every time I hear somebody pronounce it as Por-tee-oh's.
What about Spaniards given that Portillo is a Spanish name? :)
IE
Hall of Famer

LOL. Oh man, now I'm craving a dipped combo with hot giardiniera.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 am

Weird. I could have sworn they were Italian.
He grew up in poverty. Portillo’s parents were immigrants — his dad from Mexico, his mom from Greece
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hispanics would pronounce Por TEE ohs. Like tor TEE a.

The board is morphed into english as a second language.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 am

Weird. I could have sworn they were Italian.
He grew up in poverty. Portillo’s parents were immigrants — his dad from Mexico, his mom from Greece

OTOH, from their website, they seem pretty determined to emphasize the commonly used pronunciation

[video][/video].
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BR0D1E86
MVP

IE wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:12 am LOL. Oh man, now I'm craving a dipped combo with hot giardiniera.
Me too. What I wouldn't give for someone to open a location within a 10 hour drive of me.
Nick
Rookie

The Bears haven't had a 5-star GM since Jim Finks, and we all know what his judgement produced. It all starts and ends with the judgement of the GM - they hire the coach who hires the assistants, and the GM selects the talent. Fink's was unequaled as a judge of talent, and his judgement gave us the 85 Bears. In the case of virtually every other GM since Finks, Bears GMs have been average to awful. Pace is climbing a learning curve. Is he capable of learning how to properly evaluate R1 and QB talent? We won't know until he has another chance to do so. He's good at picking lower round talent but that won't get the Bears to another Super Bowl...you've got to be able get the QB pick right and the Head Coach pick right, among other things. So far, Pace hasn't impressed me, and he's certainly no Jim Finks, at least not yet. The question is whether or not he has the ability to learn from his mistakes, and can develop the judgement and skill to grow into a Finks-type GM.
Ormazd
MVP

Do they serve SPANISH beef?
:-P

The one that gets me is redneck Kentucky pronouncing Versailles as Ver-SALES.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:52 pm
Do they serve SPANISH beef?

The one that gets me is you guys over the pond pronouncing "Van Gogh" as "Van Go".

Oh and pronouncing "Herb" as "Erb", given that you guys usually have very phonetic pronunciation.

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language" :D
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am The Bears haven't had a 5-star GM since Jim Finks, and we all know what his judgement produced. It all starts and ends with the judgement of the GM - they hire the coach who hires the assistants, and the GM selects the talent. Fink's was unequaled as a judge of talent, and his judgement gave us the 85 Bears. In the case of virtually every other GM since Finks, Bears GMs have been average to awful. Pace is climbing a learning curve. Is he capable of learning how to properly evaluate R1 and QB talent? We won't know until he has another chance to do so. He's good at picking lower round talent but that won't get the Bears to another Super Bowl...you've got to be able get the QB pick right and the Head Coach pick right, among other things. So far, Pace hasn't impressed me, and he's certainly no Jim Finks, at least not yet. The question is whether or not he has the ability to learn from his mistakes, and can develop the judgement and skill to grow into a Finks-type GM.
Was Finks really that great when he was with the Bears? He had a lot more success with the Vikings and then with the Saints as far as winning teams go. The Bears record whilst he was GM was pretty woeful. 9 years, only two winning seasons and two playoff appearances. Didn't he quite because Halas hire Ditka, the only coach to actually win a Super Bowl with this franchise?
Nick
Rookie

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:22 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am The Bears haven't had a 5-star GM since Jim Finks, and we all know what his judgement produced. It all starts and ends with the judgement of the GM - they hire the coach who hires the assistants, and the GM selects the talent. Fink's was unequaled as a judge of talent, and his judgement gave us the 85 Bears. In the case of virtually every other GM since Finks, Bears GMs have been average to awful. Pace is climbing a learning curve. Is he capable of learning how to properly evaluate R1 and QB talent? We won't know until he has another chance to do so. He's good at picking lower round talent but that won't get the Bears to another Super Bowl...you've got to be able get the QB pick right and the Head Coach pick right, among other things. So far, Pace hasn't impressed me, and he's certainly no Jim Finks, at least not yet. The question is whether or not he has the ability to learn from his mistakes, and can develop the judgement and skill to grow into a Finks-type GM.
Was Finks really that great when he was with the Bears? He had a lot more success with the Vikings and then with the Saints as far as winning teams go. The Bears record whilst he was GM was pretty woeful. 9 years, only two winning seasons and two playoff appearances. Didn't he quite because Halas hire Ditka, the only coach to actually win a Super Bowl with this franchise?
Fink's is more responsible for the 85 Bears than anyone. His drafts were special, and I mean special. He left because Halas hired Ditka without going through him...the GM...the guy whose job it is to hire the head coach. Very dumb move by Halas.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I will never denigrate Finks' ability to build a team by the draft, but it must be pointed out that he did so at a time when free agency didn't annually decimate depth on a team and draftees were rarely expected to start.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Nick
Rookie

What impressed me most about Finks was his ability to find college players whose game translated well to the NFL level. It was uncanny, really.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

Ormazd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:52 pm Do they serve SPANISH beef?

Can anyone tell me how youse guys pronounce 'Bulleit'. It's by far my favourite bourbon but I have no idea how it's said in 'American'.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Like a bullet from a gun...."Bull" + "It"

If you can get your hands on Jefferson's bourbon, I highly recommend it.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 am Like a bullet from a gun...."Bull" + "It"

If you can get your hands on Jefferson's bourbon, I highly recommend it.
Haha, seriously? I assumed it had French routes and was pronounced something like 'boo-lay'.