Bears Franchise Direction: Everything's Awful/Things Aren't So Bad/Etc.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Rakshir wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:53 am I'd be curious to know if Kevin Pierre-Louis can play outside, he's been playing with speed and intensity. He's been more noticeable when on the field then Floyd has.
I think I was the only one who had him making the team in preseason predictions, and he's still been a pleasant surprise.

At 6'0 230, 34 OLB isn't on the table, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:37 am

What's the phrase? "There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum?

Hopefully the Packers sign him to a deal that size.
Well I hope that happens so we can hate him, together. He probably would have had 8 sacks against the Bears, though... lol
LOL. Only because the refs would call holding in favor of GB a bunch of times otherwise.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Moriarty wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:51 am
Rakshir wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:53 am I'd be curious to know if Kevin Pierre-Louis can play outside, he's been playing with speed and intensity. He's been more noticeable when on the field then Floyd has.
I think I was the only one who had him making the team in preseason predictions, and he's still been a pleasant surprise.

What about him on the inside with Kwik and Roquon on the other outside position ?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I dont think roquan is an olb. I do think he as perennial all pro potential at ilb.
Middleguard
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:21 pm I dont think roquan is an olb. I do think he as perennial all pro potential at ilb.
If he stays healthy and hires a chauffeur.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Rakshir wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:41 pm
Moriarty wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:51 am

What about him on the inside with Kwik and Roquon on the other outside position ?
Smith is pretty much the same size as KPL, maybe even a little smaller. He has a good nose for the QB, but he can't hold up on the edge.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:21 pm I dont think roquan is an olb. I do think he as perennial all pro potential at ilb.
Not in a 3-4 is he an OLB. He is in a 4-3 though. The opposite is true on the inside.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:19 pm
Not in a 3-4 is he an OLB. He is in a 4-3 though. The opposite is true on the inside.
He’s a Will LB in a 4-3 defense. He can’t be responsible for taking on OL and shedding blocks. In a 4-3 I could see KPL as the SAM, Kwit as the MLB, and Smith as the Will.
IE
Hall of Famer

All my life I've been insisting that size doesn't matter. lol

But seriously, folks...a few inches or 10-15 pounds isn't what qualifies a NFL player for a position. It is "can they play it?" From what I've seen of his motor, I'd love to see 44 play some OLB. I'm a big fan. The guy needs to be on the field.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:19 pm
Since we don’t play a 4-3 and aren’t going to anytime soon what would this mean
docc
Head Coach

Yeah..who needs a running game ?
Ryan Tannehill
8 15 53.3 72yds 4.8 1 1 1 5 61.0

Derrick Henry
34 182 yds 5.4 29 1

Not much trickery..pound that rock..eat clock..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:51 am Yeah..who needs a running game ?
Ryan Tannehill
8 15 53.3 72yds 4.8 1 1 1 5 61.0

Derrick Henry
34 182 yds 5.4 29 1

Not much trickery..pound that rock..eat clock..
Vrabel is a genius. What a gameplan and thinking on the fly with running down the clock before the punt in the 4th quarter.

If only we had at one point a RB capable of a 1,000 yard season, a stable OL and a coach that would be willing to use the running game to take the pressure off of a struggling QB.

Oh wait.

Last year we had Jordan Howard but he wasn't good enough apparently. We had a pretty good OL last year too, but felt the need to tinker.

But we do have a coach who runs the same offense as KC so that should be the ticket to success right? Oops I guess not.

Damn, a tandem of Howard and Monty behind a stable OL would've been amazing.
cblaz11
MVP

I remember 99% of Bears fans calling Nagy an idiot for not putting Daniels at center last year

Now he’s an idiot because he did what everyone wanted and it didn’t work?
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:49 am I remember 99% of Bears fans calling Nagy an idiot for not putting Daniels at center last year

What's funny is Daniels was the 5th or 6th rated OG this season after he was moved from center.

I don't really care what they do moving forward other than putting these dudes in one spot and leaving them there forever.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

cblaz11
MVP

The flexibility actually helps us this offseason

We can either sign or draft a guard or center because Whitehair can do either.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:32 pm The flexibility actually helps us this offseason

We can either sign or draft a guard or center because Whitehair can do either.
Getting--probably drafting--the next Cody Whitehair has to be priority one for this offseason.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

So let me get this straight guys...

Our 9th ranked defense is fine, no need to change anything there.
Our TE group is fine and/or unable to be changed because of cap issues, no change there
Our OT group can't be changed because of cap issues
Our QB is fine, he just needs 4 years to get his legs under him, no change here either

But Nagy is going to bring in a new OC, we'll draft a developmental OT, and it's playoff time!

SMH... :frustrated:

wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:03 am So let me get this straight guys...

Our 9th ranked defense is fine, no need to change anything there.
Our TE group is fine and/or unable to be changed because of cap issues, no change there
Our OT group can't be changed because of cap issues
Our QB is fine, he just needs 4 years to get his legs under him, no change here either

But Nagy is going to bring in a new OC, we'll draft a developmental OT, and it's playoff time!

SMH... :frustrated:

I'm super open to your suggestions.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Drop Floyd, Prince, Shaheen, Braunecker and don't resign Lucas. Use that money to sign Conklin/Sherff/or Williams + Jamie Collins. Draft a TE with one of your 2nd round picks, and go BPA with your other (hopefully an OG or DB).

Sign Case Keenum.

Hire Shurmur. Fire Pagano. :evilgrin:
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:32 am Drop Floyd, Prince, Shaheen, Braunecker and don't resign Lucas. Use that money to sign Conklin/Sherff/or Williams + Jamie Collins. Draft a TE with one of your 2nd round picks, and go BPA with your other (hopefully an OG or DB).

Sign Case Keenum.

Floyd - no point in cutting him right now when he at worst has some trade value, at best he's a stable, versatile presence in an already thin OLB group

Amukamara - he'll be cut for money's sake soon, so just keep it in your pants

Shaheen - costs you nothing to bring back to camp, so may as well have him there provided there's a ton of better players at TE otherwise

Braunecker - guy is like a $1.5M cap hit who plays good special teams. who gives a shit if he's still around? Cut him just because you don't like him?

Lucas - was halfway decent as an emergency backup and would make virtually nothing

-----

Conklin - guy is 24/25 and will no doubt demand top billing in FA and most likely will stay in TN.

Sherff - another guy with injury concerns who will require a big contract.

Williams - 31yo with medical drama who will, again, require a massive contract.

....yet the Bears, who already have $19M committed to Leno and Massie for 2020, should pay one or more of these guys because fuck Leno and fuck Massie. Right.

Collins - I'd be okay with this, but the guy's kinda old

-----

2nd Rd TE - never draft for need, draft by your board, otherwise you're just jerking off

Hire Shurmur - sure, whatever

Fire Pagano - dumb
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:58 am
dplank wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:32 am Drop Floyd, Prince, Shaheen, Braunecker and don't resign Lucas. Use that money to sign Conklin/Sherff/or Williams + Jamie Collins. Draft a TE with one of your 2nd round picks, and go BPA with your other (hopefully an OG or DB).

Sign Case Keenum.

Floyd - no point in cutting him right now when he at worst has some trade value, at best he's a stable, versatile presence in an already thin OLB group

The point on Floyd is to have cash to make a big move on your OL. Not picking up his 5th year + dropping Prince nets you 22M in cap space. That money signs both Collins and Williams/Sherff/Conklin.

Shaheen - costs you nothing to bring back to camp, so may as well have him there provided there's a ton of better players at TE otherwise

Braunecker - guy is like a $1.5M cap hit who plays good special teams. who gives a shit if he's still around? Cut him just because you don't like him?

Shaheen and Braunecker bring little value and save you 2.5M in cap space, which almost pays for Keenum. Burton/draft pick/Holtz will do just fine and ST coverage guys are not hard to find. I actually like Braunecker, he's a good try hard guy. Just scraping pennies to afford our spending bubble at tackle.

Lucas - was halfway decent as an emergency backup and would make virtually nothing

I like Lucas, and I think he earned himself some money by playing well for us. He wouldn't cost a ton, but I'm thinking 3M and since we make the move for an OT in my plan, we no longer need to spend it. That small savings covers the rest of Keenum's money.

-----

Conklin - guy is 24/25 and will no doubt demand top billing in FA and most likely will stay in TN.
Probably stays but not certain, and we should try if he's available is my point

Both of these guys do carry medical concerns but are top shelf talents if they pass a medical test. Williams in particular just wanted out of Washington. Having him play over Leno would change our OL dramatically.

....yet the Bears, who already have $19M committed to Leno and Massie for 2020, should pay one or more of these guys because fuck Leno and fuck Massie. Right.

YES! If you care about winning next year then YES! We have a 1 year spend bubble at the OT position, I get it, but we can get out from Massie's deal next year if we want to, it's not the end of the world. We CANNOT return those two as starters, they sucked really, really bad.

He is, but he's a better player than Floyd IMO. I don't hate Floyd, but his cost/value is not good.

-----

2nd Rd TE - never draft for need, draft by your board, otherwise you're just jerking off
One of the most common mis used tropes out there. You think Montgomery was a pure BPA pick? Lol. No. You always consider need along with BPA, it's a balancing act.

Fire Pagano - dumb
We obviously disagree and I'm super comfortable with what I know here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Does that mean you've given up on your dream of Leno moving to guard wab? :)

If Leno moved to guard and with Long off the books then they could conceivably afford to pay for a FA LT and then dump Leno the following off-season. (No I don't think it's likely!)

Leno and Massie both played OK last season. They've been middle tier type guys for most of their careers. The question is why they regressed so much this season, especially Leno whose pass blocking was atrocious. Maybe Castillo can get them back to their usual level of play, which whilst far from elite would be a big step up.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:33 pm Does that mean you've given up on your dream of Leno moving to guard wab? :)

If Leno moved to guard and with Long off the books then they could conceivably afford to pay for a FA LT and then dump Leno the following off-season. (No I don't think it's likely!)

Leno and Massie both played OK last season. They've been middle tier type guys for most of their careers. The question is why they regressed so much this season, especially Leno whose pass blocking was atrocious. Maybe Castillo can get them back to their usual level of play, which whilst far from elite would be a big step up.
I happen to think that Leno's flaws wouldn't be so exposed inside. He has great feet, decent technique, and above average balance and functional strength. He also happens to be a penalty machine because he gets too hands-y when he's on an island. That stuff becomes less apparent at guard.

I also know it's a pipe dream on my part.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:49 am I remember 99% of Bears fans calling Nagy an idiot for not putting Daniels at center last year

What's funny is Daniels was the 5th or 6th rated OG this season after he was moved from center.

I don't really care what they do moving forward other than putting these dudes in one spot and leaving them there forever.
Was he really?? Wow. That's great news. Could mean a permanent position, and possible pro-bowl OG for several years.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:32 am
G08 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Was he really?? Wow. That's great news. Could mean a permanent position, and possible pro-bowl OG for several years.
Yep!
PFF wrote:25. CHICAGO BEARS
The Bears took an expected step backward this season, spearheaded by regression in volatile areas from Mitchell Trubisky. Part of that decline, though, was worse play from the offensive line. When the Bears allowed pressure this season, they allowed it fast. Their average time to pressure allowed of 2.37 seconds was 29th in the league, ahead of only the Dolphins, Chargers and Falcons. A silver lining for the group came from James Daniels after he switched over to left guard. Daniels’ 73.9 overall grade at left guard ranked fifth among all qualifiers at the position.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Drone7
Player of the Month

Swapping out parts like finding a new right guard is easy, but the franchise direction won't change for the better until they get a new GM to drive the car.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:58 am

Sign Case Keenum.

-----

-----

Fire Pagano - dumb
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... -cap-space

I don't write for nbcsports, but maybe they've been reading my posts here? :D
Forgot to mention cutting Gabriel in this particular post, but have advocated for that obvious move 3 or 4 other times.
UOK
Site Admin

Drone7 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:38 pm Swapping out parts like finding a new right guard is easy, but the franchise direction won't change for the better until they get a new GM to drive the car.
That's a bit of a tall order. I see posts like this a lot lately, and I get why, but as has been oft-discussed here the last couple months, I fail to see how that kind of a position is reasonable. I'm not at ALL pro-McCaskey/Phillips and I'm certainly not married to Pace/Nagy, but I am firmly against building turnover unless it's absolutely called for.

Trubisky being almost certainly a bust, Floyd's peaking at above average, Kevin White's impossible-to-have-predicted health, and the swing-and-a-miss Shaheen pick are huge, huge red flags that Pace is essentially a young Jerry Angelo, but that's not a big problem in my eyes. Angelo was an old seasoned warthog when he joined the Bears, and Pace was one of the youngest GMs in the league when he was hired.

From all accounts, ownership adores Pace, and unless things absolutely go to shit, they're not going to fire him. I'm not saying that people should get behind team brass for the sake of doing so, I'm more wondering how fans who take that kind of hard stance enjoy, well, any part of the experience.
Drone7
Player of the Month

You'll come around.
wab
Mod

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am You'll come around.
That's not the point. It has nothing to do with him coming around. Pace isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I agree with UOK. How do fans who hate a team, it's leadership, it's QB...whoever...enjoy being, you know...a fan.

I honestly wonder why some fans don't find a more suitable team to root for.