Olin Kreutz - next Bears HC?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Dardango
Journeyman

Olin Kreutz has become a valuable voice in analyzing the problems with the Bears this year. He's been on the money as far as assessing the issues with the offense.

Of course, he's never coached in the NFL, but I wouldn't mind seeing if he could turn this around, rather than watching Nagy continue to not figure out and keep running this team into a brick wall for 2-3 more years.

Thoughts?
UOK
Site Admin

By this logic, I, as someone who has a great driving record and thousands of hours behind the wheel, should be qualified to tell a group of strangers how to disassemble and re-assemble an automobile.

If Kreutz was a coach at any level, I’d think about it more seriously, but just because the guys got a great twitter feed and some quality input on sports radio doesn’t mean you give him the keys to the franchise.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hell no!!!! Because a guy can sit in a studio and second guess and pick apart film doesn't mean he could lead a team. It is easy to do what he does with all his knowledge, there is no pressure. Guys that have some experience have difficulty doing this. See Nagy.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hard pass.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Dardango
Journeyman

I get the concern about his not previously coaching, esp. at the NFL. There are people who have "coaching experience" who are terrible retread coaches, lacking in the skills to figure out how to make shit work. Part of being a center is a leadership job, he's done that and would definitely bring some understanding of what's needed to fix that crap O-line. To be clear, he wouldn't be my top pick for an HC, but he certainly understands the good, bad and ugly of Chicago Bears culture and would have at least that advantage over some new guy coming in from the outside--i.e. , the current dude.
Richie
MVP

There is literally zero way to assess his analysis as being "valuable" or not. He's basically a movie critic. He's a guy with applicable knowledge that is watching something unfold and then criticizing it. However, none of those ideas are actually being applied. We have no idea if they would help or be catastrophic.

There's a million former players speaking their mind on current football. Most of them would be shit HC's. He has not done anything to prove he would be different. Hell, it would a risk just to hire him as a team's O-line coach at the NFL level. Much less head coach.

Not to mention, that's really all I see from him. He demonstrates knowledge about O-line play. I have not seen a SINGLE thing to suggest he could design an entire offense of his own.

I like his tweets... but come on. There's also analytic nerds who give amazing insight into what's going on out on the field. That doesn't mean you hire them as your HC.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Dardango wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 pm Olin Kreutz has become a valuable voice in analyzing the problems with the Bears this year. He's been on the money as far as assessing the issues with the offense.

Of course, he's never coached in the NFL, but I wouldn't mind seeing if he could turn this around, rather than watching Nagy continue to not figure out and keep running this team into a brick wall for 2-3 more years.

Thoughts?
He's a Monday Morning QB that has the benefit of hindsight.

A mistake that was made in hiring Nagy was that we got a guy who was never an HC in the NFL before while we have a win-now defense and an inexperienced QB. We caught lightning in a bottle last year due to the element of surprise and no meaningful injuries.

Now that its year 2, we've seen what Nagy is "capable" of and its not much in the way of calling plays and strategic thinking.

The defense is still very much a win-now defense that if we had a capable offense we'd be very hard to beat. If Nagy is let go, which I want to happen but don't think it will, the Bears have to hire somebody who was an HC before.

My list of candidates would be:

1) Pagano, assuming he wants the job, but at a minimum they should retain him as DC.
2) Gary Kubiak
3) Mike McCarthy
IE
Hall of Famer

Chico ended up being a good head coach, after being a TV analyst for a few years. So all Olin has to do next is become a humble quality control coach for a few more years, then get hired as an assistant coach of some sort for several more - learning from someone great like Chico did under Jim Johnson. Then he can go on to become a coordinator or assistant head coach for a few years. And then maybe you're right - perhaps Olin will be the Bears next HC, if Nagy sticks for 10 years.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The only ex-Bear I would want as a HC right now would be Chico. He has been in the position and has done well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The guy who clocked a teammate in the head with a hefty dumbbell?

Meh.

Only in the distant future, if he works his way up really slowly and excels at every step.
No Ditka or Singletary style fast tracking - and they had 5 & 8 yrs experience first, so maybe "no Matt Millen style fast tracking" is a better analogy.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Ummm, no.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:00 am The only ex-Bear I would want as a HC right now would be Chico. He has been in the position and has done well.
I would add Leslie Frazier. He has been very good on defense and had a raw deal in Minnesota as the HC.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Dave Toub absolutely deserves a shot.

I'm not sure I want to go back to the "Bear Connections" route, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not really a fan of Bears connections myself, just brought up Chico as it seemed to fit.

Usually there is a liking of an ex-Bear or ex-Bears coach, but when they fail people get pissed at them and forget they once liked the guy during their previous stint with the team . Just give me a competent coach who can see that offensive football needs to have a balance and not be so cute.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 am Dave Toub absolutely deserves a shot.

I'm not sure I want to go back to the "Bear Connections" route, though.
If and when a change comes I would be on board with this.