Wk 12 // CHICAGO BEARS vs. NEW YORK GIANTS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

l8knight
Practice Squad

Bears MVP: Aldrick Rosas. Thanks to him we win!
GSH
MVP

im stoked on the W against the 2-8 ny giants at home. Some players really stepped up, mostly patterson and skrine, but again nagy play calling was so suspect.

I apologize to all for buying a cohen jersey in the off-season, because i dont know what the hell is going on there and im inclined to blame that regression on nagy playcalling.

bear down my brothers and sisters. 10-6 still on the cards, lol.
GSH
MVP

also lions just lost to the redskins, hahaha
WP.1
Player of the Month

on the upside

- 2 years back a sure NFL MVP is maybe on the way down
- this year to be NFL MVP playing poorly
- Kicker indoor miss 2 PAT and 28y-FG for the lead/win
BR0D1E86
MVP

Not sure what to think. Trubisky looked better, I guess. But he threw two horrific interceptions and had a third that should have been picked dropped in the end zone.

The line, after a pretty rough start, pass blocked pretty well. Still a combination of no success and no serious attempt at running the football.

In the end, 19 points against a bottom tier defense at home isn't particularly impressive.

Defense was awesome most of the game, but they're a little too likely to give up 90 yards touchdown drives late in close games.
Richie
MVP

A game of encouraging sequences drowned in the usual cocktail of Trubisky's poor play, Nagy's confusing play calling and the O-line being utterly dreadful in the run game.

Oh, and the D's confusing trend of dominating entire games only to forget how to play football in the final 7-8 minutes.

It's just f'ing odd. Two years now, this unit has been dominant and they just play like they've never seen a football field before when they're a stop away from winning.

Really... that game shouldn't have been close. But lordy lord do we love to just handcuff ourselves.
G08
Hall of Famer

Kept tabs from afar at work.

Yeesh. This is a win that feels like a loss.

This is just such a bad football team, I'm starting to wonder if we are simply poorly coached all around.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
WagonForce
MVP

G08 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 pm Yeesh. This is a win that feels like a loss.

This is just such a bad football team, I'm starting to wonder if we are simply poorly coached all around.
Both of these sum up my thoughts at this point.

At the end of the day, always glad to see the Bears win.
Richie
MVP

WP.1 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:31 pm on the upside

- 2 years back a sure NFL MVP is maybe on the way down
- this year to be NFL MVP playing poorly
- Kicker indoor miss 2 PAT and 28y-FG for the lead/win
I don't really get how those are silver linings for the 2019 Bears. lol
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 pm Kept tabs from afar at work.

Yeesh. This is a win that feels like a loss.

It's the first Detroit game part two. Literally, a replica.

It would have felt like a true win if we just don't let a guy get wide open on 4th and 18! Or if Braunecker doesn't drop that TD.

Good lord.
G08
Hall of Famer

Something fundamentally just seems off. I don't know what it is and what alarms me is that it's in such contrast from last season.

Or is it? Might have to go back and do some digging.

Anyway, I'll always take the W and let's make it two in a row on Thanksgiving :toast:
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I thought Trubisky played pretty well. He scrambled for that first down when we were pinned deep, and ran in the TD. Would've been a blowout without the dropped ball and penalty call back on that big pass to Robinson.
G08
Hall of Famer

Remember that 48 yard extra point?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Ormazd
MVP

G08 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 pm Something fundamentally just seems off. I don't know what it is and what alarms me is that it's in such contrast from last season.

Anyway, I'll always take the W and let's make it two in a row on Thanksgiving :toast:
The running game sucked for the most part last year, too. We all bitched about Nagy's run block scheme not working for Jordan Howard.

A couple things that helped disguise offensive shortcomings last year:

The defense isn't forcing turnovers (and scoring from them)

Trubisky ran much more/better. At least to my memory, he converted a lot of third downs to keep drives alive.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 pm Something fundamentally just seems off. I don't know what it is and what alarms me is that it's in such contrast from last season.

I have to say, I agree. What is really disturbing, is that it might be Matt Nagy. Nagy may have lost the confidence or trust of the team. They just aren't playing hard for him. The players aren't paying attention, and are making stupid mental errors, i.e. don't know where to line up, too many men on the field, running wrong routes, etc. It's possible that the team just got tired of his rah rah shit, and aren't buying in anymore.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 pm

The running game sucked for the most part last year, too. We all bitched about Nagy's run block scheme not working for Jordan Howard.

A couple things that helped disguise offensive shortcomings last year:

The defense isn't forcing turnovers (and scoring from them)

Trubisky ran much more/better. At least to my memory, he converted a lot of third downs to keep drives alive.
And we had a better than average TE.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I have to say, I agree. What is really disturbing, is that it might be Matt Nagy. Nagy may have lost the confidence or trust of the team. They just aren't playing hard for him. The players aren't paying attention, and are making stupid mental errors, i.e. don't know where to line up, too many men on the field, running wrong routes, etc. It's possible that the team just got tired of his rah rah shit, and aren't buying in anymore.
Just look at the guys on offense. I see them not running hard on routes if they are not in the play, ol can't get their assignments right play by play it seems. The run game calls are so predictable it's ridiculous. I can't come to any other conclusion other than bad coaching.
GSH
MVP

im firmly on the " its the coaching" bandwagon when it comes to the issues we face all over.

lets not dismiss that if not for Rosas having dicks for feet we would have been down 13-0 at half time. I guess this is what it feels like when the other team has a bad kicker.

Special teams, o line, WR, TE, QB, D line, all areas where clear coaching and play calling issues are the issue. We know we have the talent because see last year - its coaching!!
UOK
Site Admin

I’ll give the offense credit for the way they played in the 3rd. They looked unstoppable, but that 2PT/Timeout/Penalty/Missed XP killed every ounce of momentum and integrity they built in the preceding drive, once again emphasizing the defenses need to save the day. After their patented “we’re fuckin tired and gonna play prevent for some reason” TD surrender, I got a bit nervous.

But then I fell asleep and woke up and they won, so whatever.
docc
Head Coach

I watched a lot of games today..lots of similar shit..
I'll take every win..no style points..
Remember game 9 in 2006..?
"We are who we thought they were"...
Yeah..I'll take 'em all..
One game does not foretell another..

Just Ws please..ugly..or dominant..

Ws...
Xee
Site Admin

docc wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 pm I watched a lot of games today..lots of similar shit..
I'll take every win..no style points..
Remember game 9 in 2006..?
"We are who we thought they were"...
Yeah..I'll take 'em all..
One game does not foretell another..

Just Ws please..ugly..or dominant..

Ws...
That's where I'm at now. Just because we're not going to the playoffs this year doesn't mean I'm not going to be happy for the win. "Convincing" wins feel good, sure, but a win is a win.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

You can have it.

Bears just barely scraped by one of the 4 worst teams in the league, riding a 6 game losing streak. With the Bears at home. And their margin of victory was 2 missed kicks.

"It could have been slightly worse" is all this one gets.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 pm You can have it.

Bears just barely scraped by one of the 4 worst teams in the league, riding a 6 game losing streak. With the Bears at home. And their margin of victory was 2 missed kicks.

"It could have been slightly worse" is all this one gets.
The Bears won, really fixed nothing on offense, and the Raiders lost. I'm at the point in the season where I sadisticcaly want to give them a worse first and receive a better second.

That, and hoping the Pukes lose, is all that's left for me this season. I think the questions about our offensive players have been answered:

Nagy is a failure unless he gets somebody to coordinate the running game for him, Trubisky is still a bust, most of our offensive line is in need of replacement, etc. I'm eeking what joy I can out of this season.
G08
Hall of Famer

Thought the offense was meh. Mitch was 'okay'. Should have had another TD and more yards instead of the INT in the end zone but that's what happened and that's what is recorded in the annals of football lore.

Didn't care for his 2nd INT whatsoever. Poor decision and poor processing thinking he could throw it 60 yards flat footed. He doesn't have that kind of arm.

What I did like: seeing him take control at the LOS, directing players where to go, changing plays and drawing multiple off-sides with his cadence. Was really nice seeing him make throws from the pocket and within the rhythm of his drops.

Keep stacking...
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 pm Thought the offense was meh. Mitch was 'okay'. Should have had another TD and more yards instead of the INT in the end zone but that's what happened and that's what is recorded in the annals of football lore.

Didn't care for his 2nd INT whatsoever. Poor decision and poor processing thinking he could throw it 60 yards flat footed. He doesn't have that kind of arm.

What I did like: seeing him take control at the LOS, directing players where to go, changing plays and drawing multiple off-sides with his cadence. Was really nice seeing him make throws from the pocket and within the rhythm of his drops.

Keep stacking...
Yes, keep stacking those 2 INT sub 20 point games against horrendous defenses that we will still reach for positives like "He done directed duh playerz at the line of scrimmage. It was like he was a real QB!"

Ah, yes... the expectations are high.
Richie
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:14 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 pm
The run game calls are so predictable it's ridiculous.
Bears fans when Nagy utilizes misdirection, counter plays, RPO and WR jet sweeps: "Oh my god! Why are you getting so cute! Just beat the other team! Run the power I!"

Bears fans when Nagy calls designed runs with RB's straight ahead, right or left (often out of the I): "THIS IS SO PREDICTABLE!"

Look... Nagy deserves his share of criticism and no one disputes that. But it's become blatantly obvious that this damn O-line can't open up a running lane to save their lives. THEIR LIVES.

To his credit, he HAS actually tried everything in this facet of the game. RPO, Run out of the spread, Run I-formation, Run with a FB, Run misdirection, Run with your WR's, Run the damn option, etc.

I don't think this team with its current personnel up front is capable of running. I don't think football Jesus could make that happen.

Also, the run game isn't SUPPOSED to be this thing you use to fool everybody. You're supposed to simply beat the other team. I honestly blame Nagy for even creating this illusion that you constantly have to "fool" the opposition. Look at New England today or San Francisco all year. They don't do anything fancy. You have an idea of what they're doing every time they run. They're just going to beat you.

This isn't just for the best teams like SF or Baltimore either. Look at any decent run team. It's not like you're going "Whoa, didn't see that coming". Never. You know what's coming and they just win at the point of attack.

I also blame this on the fact that the run game has just been so damn bad. It feels like we're predictable... because it's so damn predictable that we're going to get stuffed. But that's really not the problem. It's that we can't win up front.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Sometimes you just have to take the win and walk away
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 pm
G08 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 pm Thought the offense was meh. Mitch was 'okay'. Should have had another TD and more yards instead of the INT in the end zone but that's what happened and that's what is recorded in the annals of football lore.

Keep stacking...
Yes, keep stacking those 2 INT sub 20 point games against horrendous defenses that we will still reach for positives like "He done directed duh playerz at the line of scrimmage. It was like he was a real QB!"

Ah, yes... the expectations are high.
I don't know, he made some good throws today. He legitimately had a touchdown dropped. Of course he had an easy pick dropped right before he ran in that touchdown. I feel like he played about like his QB rating says he did, maybe a hair better. The two picks he threw were absolutely horrendous throws, which is something he's usually very good at avoiding. He's typically a low turnover quarterback.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

During the game the announcers pointed out a few times that the Bears are running routes to the same area and it kinda screwed Mitch on that pick because the defender didn't have to defend Robinson low and he just floated back for the pick. Any relevance to this? Is Nagy screwing him with horrible route combos as well as his well established shit playcalling?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We won so I'm happy. No matter how ugly I don't think there's ever been a win I'd want to give back unless if the better option is tanking for a draft choice.

The drops are horrendous and Mitch's stat line would read a lot better with a normal number of them. That being said, the INTs can't be happening. If we had a normal running game and a coach that could utilize it the INT in the end zone might not happen.

I just feel bad for Mitch because if a normal franchise drafted him I think there's a chance he could've been really good, but he got Bear'd. Then again, franchises who draft #2 overall to take that QB probably aren't normal to begin with.

This poor guy:

1) The team ownership hasn't been at the helm of a Super Bowl winner since the mid-80s.
2) Who was the last QB said ownership developed into a winner?
3) Said ownership needed to hire a consultant, despite football being the family business for what half a century or more(?), for an HC search and that answer comes back as Fox.
4) Then we draft the QB.
5) Fox gets fired.
6) Here comes Nagy and Helfrich.
7) PASSING IS MOAR BETTER PASSING IS MOAR BETTER REPEAT AFTER ME PASSING IS MOAR BETTER!
8) The o-line coaching guru, despite having a successful o-line last year decides to change things because dang nabbit he's the guru. The o-line goes to shit.
9) Mitch is given the "support" of a running game in the form of Cohen and Patterson up the middle.
10) The WRs don't seem to be able to catch the clap in a whorehouse.

At what point does Mitch say fuck this place? I quit. Say that Mitch had an office job someplace and the corporate equivalent of those 10 things was happening. He gets a new boss every two years, the methodologies change constantly, his teammates suck which contributes to and magnifies his own struggles, then on his annual review he gets hammered for the way things are. Who wouldn't update their resume at that point and GTFO of Dodge?

Finish out the contract with the Bears, go be a backup someplace and make sure the Surface tablets have the latest version of Windows and grow old and rich while at the same time being able to walk, lift your kids, not have CTE, and go be a broadcaster on ESPN somewhere and live a peaceful life.

That's what I want for him.