Wk 15 // CHICAGO BEARS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

An almost equal number of wtf and really awesome throws for Trubisky, but it's working at the moment.
WagonForce
MVP

Hicks is such a warrior for this team.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

imagine how much toradol is coursing through hick's system currently. like a gallon?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Kwiatkowski needs to be resigned.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:56 pm Kwiatkowski needs to be resigned.
i'm absolutely floored that they didnt call him on a hit to the helmet
BR0D1E86
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:58 pm
BR0D1E86 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:56 pm Kwiatkowski needs to be resigned.
i'm absolutely floored that they didnt call him on a hit to the helmet
Same. Either way it was an incredible bull rush
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yup
UOK
Site Admin

Hey shocker, we lose to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. The sun sets in the west, death, and taxes, etc.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

There has been a lot of noise around mitch and most of it rightly so but come on. How many big games have the bears not turned up to, feeling flat and under prepared under Nagy. Too many and this was another one of those times.
Have a great day
WagonForce
MVP

Swept by the Pack again. Until this team can at least split with Green Bay they will never be relevant.
docc
Head Coach

Mitchell Trubisky
29 53 54.7 334 6.3 1 2 3 15 64.5 0
Aaron Rodgers
16 33 48.5 203 6.2 1 0 1 11 78.2

Mitch growing up..
docc
Head Coach

Allen Robinson II
7 125 17.9 34 0 14 0
Anthony Miller
9 118 13.1 33 1 15
WagonForce
MVP

Ignoring the many risky throws, the outcome of the game, a ton of other things as well...

Mitch throwing on the run sure is something. There's a fluidity to the way can move and throw that is eye popping.

Not sure why the team doesn't design around that more.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:21 pm There has been a lot of noise around mitch and most of it rightly so but come on. How many big games have the bears not turned up to, feeling flat and under prepared under Nagy. Too many and this was another one of those times.
He was as much a part of the struggle as anyone. He wasn't bad, but he played like a 13 point quarterback today. He was really far from good. He had pretty decent pass protection, receivers making plays, etc. He was not real good today. He was probably a D+, maaybe a C-. He made a number of eye popping throws, but he was wildly inaccurate at times too, and if the other team's DB's didn't have clubs for hands he'd have thrown a couple more picks.

The team can win with this level of play from him, but they need turnovers or a punishing run game to complement it, and they had neither.

He wasn't the most disappointing part of the game though. It was third quarter tackling and the meltdown of the run game against a poor run defense.
Ormazd
MVP

Well, the only thing left to root for is the Packers losing in the playoffs.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Not true, we can hope for Erin to get destroyed. I was really hoping his hand would fly off like the kicker's foot on the Simpsons after he hit it on the follow through.
docc
Head Coach

I get a quite different outlook watching the game and a Packer forum
Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
Don't hate him. He seems likeable. Love his play.
I actually like Trubisky. If Chicago gives him some more time, he may become dangerous.

Went from joking about him a few weeks ago to respect..grudgingly..
Rodgers gets really reamed "old..prima donna"
"He outplays our QB"

So..all teams have their misery fandom
BR0D1E86
MVP

Yeah, he wasn't horrible overall today. If this is an off game for him, the Bears can win games. They'd just need some turnover help which they didn't get. He didn't look completely lost on this game like he frequently did in the first half of the season, which is good. But he played like he deserved to score about 13 points, which is what they scored.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:33 pm He was as much a part of the struggle as anyone. He wasn't bad, but he played like a 13 point quarterback today. He was really far from good. He had pretty decent pass protection, receivers making plays, etc. He was not real good today. He was probably a D+, maaybe a C-. He made a number of eye popping throws, but he was wildly inaccurate at times too, and if the other team's DB's didn't have clubs for hands he'd have thrown a couple more picks.
Towards the end of the first half they put a caption up on the screen that stated that on his first 13 drop backs Trubisky had been sacked twice and pressured 10 times. The pass protection was not pretty decent, at least in the first half. Despite that he completed most of his passes, albeit for not a lot of yards. Cohen dropped one, one went off Miller's finger tips and one Miller came down with out of bounds. I think they were his only incompletions in the first half aside from the interception on the Hail Mary (which made his stats worse than they deserved to be).

The second half was a real mix of the brilliant, the mystifying and the unlucky. Some of Trubisky's throws were fantastic, others were frustratingly off target including a couple that could have been picked off, one that was picked off due to a great play from the defensive end, one that seemed to slip out of his hand and flutter nowhere and then there was that one to Patterson that was ruled out of bounds which would have given the Bears a first down and goal from the 2.

Overall there wasn't really much to choose between the performances of both QBs and Rogers had much better protection overall. Rogers could have turned the ball over 3 times himself and missed some throws too.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Two things --

1) I feel fine going into next year with Mitch as the unquestioned starter. I think we can win a championship with him, the growth I've seen across the season has been significant, and enough that I'm comfortable riding with him at least through his 5th year option.

2) I am more convinced than ever that the Refs are dirty. The ridiculous call on the punt/fumble -- when it's so blatant that all the announcers in the booth and the rules analyst are all easily in agreement that was not a penalty. It seems on any given game, the Bears not only have to beat the other team, they have to do it by enough of a margin that the Refs can't fuck them.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Overall there wasn't really much to choose between the performances of both QBs and Rogers had much better protection overall. Rogers could have turned the ball over 3 times himself and missed some throws too.
yeah, but if you want to play that game, you need to talk about the fact that rodgers receivers had some incredibly ugly drops today as well. That bomb he opened up with was gorgeous and should have been a 75 yard TD. Devante Adams had a few ugly uncharacteristic drops today, Allison had a drop to end a drive.

Bears pass pro was bad today, interior run game as always consisted of montgomery making a million guys miss before being taken down by the million and 1th, but i'm still choosing to take rodger's performance over mitch's today.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

No, no, no Rusty... you can't start taking drops into consideration. After all no-one does when they're evaluating Trubisky's play. It's always about how badly he's played, the three and outs are always his fault regardless of the number of times his receivers have dropped perfectly thrown balls on third down etc. Can't have different rules for different QBs now can we? Only those officiating Packers games have that prerogative. ;)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It was good to see early on, v later in the game, that the penalties were going to be handed to the Packers.

Patterson's hit to cause the fumble was clean. He used his shoulder.
Patterson's catch near the goal line looked inbounds.
You could make an argument there was DPI on Miller's 4th down catch.
Holding on ARob on 4th when the ball was thrown to him.
The intentional grounding on Rodgers was a miracle. Rodgers made it way too obvious that it was grounding. Not even those refs could look the other way.

This season has been the most exhausting one for me in a long time. I'm emotionally drained. From the time Parkey missed that kick to Opening Day I was convinced that this was a year that something special was going to happen. We lost to the Packers in week 1 and I was pissed. We barely beat the Broncos. It was the losses to the Raiders and Chargers that made me realize this team is not good.

This was not supposed to fucking happen. I'm trying to think of other Chicago teams that entered a season with as much promise and wound up shitting the bed. For what did, or actually didn't happen this season, I'll despise Nagy. Oh well.

Like I said in the chat room today. At least with Trestman you could watch CFB for the first round draft choice. We don't even have that because of the Mack trade.

I do appreciate the way Nagy approached this game. Going for it on 4th down repeatedly. The challenges. He wanted this one. I just wish it happened. It didn't.

If he's the coach this year, which he'll most likely be, hopefully he learns to not be so arrogant about the playcalling and to realize that sometimes you need to run the i-formation and not to pull the rug out from under your QB in favor of the kicker.

We've got two games left. The Chiefs and Vikings. I'm going to enjoy them for what they are. The last Bears football games until eight months from now.
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Even if we lose the next two games and finish 7-9, no team is going to fire a second year head coach, after a year 1 playoff appearance and Coach of the Year award, then finishing 7-9 the following season with what, only a single loss by more than 1 score?
Barring that coach completely having a meltdown, losing the locker room, committing major felonies, and screwing some relative of the owner's family, no team would make a coaching change at that point. That's simply not a reasonable approach for a team, and any fan who thinks otherwise doesn't have a clear grasp of reality.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:33 pm
Bearfanuk wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:21 pm There has been a lot of noise around mitch and most of it rightly so but come on. How many big games have the bears not turned up to, feeling flat and under prepared under Nagy. Too many and this was another one of those times.
He was as much a part of the struggle as anyone. He wasn't bad, but he played like a 13 point quarterback today. He was really far from good. He had pretty decent pass protection, receivers making plays, etc. He was not real good today. He was probably a D+, maaybe a C-. He made a number of eye popping throws, but he was wildly inaccurate at times too, and if the other team's DB's didn't have clubs for hands he'd have thrown a couple more picks.

The team can win with this level of play from him, but they need turnovers or a punishing run game to complement it, and they had neither.

He wasn't the most disappointing part of the game though. It was third quarter tackling and the meltdown of the run game against a poor run defense.
I don't know what game you were watching, but he didn't have "pretty decent" pass protection. I'd call it poor at best. Tons of missed blocks, missed assignments, poor technique, etc. It seemed like every time he dropped back, he had DL in his lap.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I watched from the middle of the second quarter on. There certainly wasn't constant pressure from that point.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Are we over Charles Leno yet?
MoFugger
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:45 pm imagine how much toradol is coursing through hick's system currently. like a gallon?
He is my favorite current Chicago Bear.
he could have pulled a Cutler in the first quarter and I would not have given him any grief.

He didn't, and that's why he's my favorite Chicago Bear. He was dying to get out there and he wasn't going to let them pull him.
they have to shut him down for the rest of this season, but it was nice to see him back.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:50 pm

yeah, but if you want to play that game, you need to talk about the fact that rodgers receivers had some incredibly ugly drops today as well. That bomb he opened up with was gorgeous and should have been a 75 yard TD. Devante Adams had a few ugly uncharacteristic drops today, Allison had a drop to end a drive.

Bears pass pro was bad today, interior run game as always consisted of montgomery making a million guys miss before being taken down by the million and 1th, but i'm still choosing to take rodger's performance over mitch's today.
Completely agree with you Rusty. If 10 had thrown a ball like Rodgers' first one to Valdes-Scantling who alligator armed it, we'd be singing his praises. Gotta give the same to Rodgers. He had another similarly good throw early that was dropped.

I agree with the general consensus that Mitch was up and down today, but more up than down. Seems like the cold was bothering him a bit. On the refs, they had those 2 huge misses against us. But if you were watching closely all game, our DBs were getting away with illegal hands too from time to time. They were letting both teams play.

Still, on that 4th down booth review of the throw to Robinson, it's mind boggling that they're looking at that and not calling it PI. How can every fan (even my Pack fan son) look at that and go "yup, that's PI" and then they come back and say "no it's not". It's ridiculous and they're making a travesty of the game. Between that and very good football plays that are called 15 yard penalties (*cough* Patterson *cough*), how long before fans start walking away from the NFL, because there's too much BS?

Note... I've been a football official and it's a hard job. You just don't/can't see everything. So by default, they have my empathy. But the game is better when you have imperfect officials and as a fan, you just live with the fact that humans aren't perfect. But now with instant replay and reviews and other funky rules relating to creating reviews, the expectation has been created with fans that games should be called perfectly or nearly so. But when the entire world can see in slow mo that something has been called wrong and they still don't change it, that's a WAY worse outcome than fans just understanding that officials, like coaches and players are imperfect humans.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Chicago Bears, the team that is just good enough to lose close games.

They are not a good team. I don’t care how close they have been, they have lost those games. Good teams win close games. Someone put up 10’s stats compared to A A RON’S. Doesn’t matter, he won, 10 lost. I had to walk away from the game for awhile. Bears OL sucks, plain and simple. With this OL, 10 is not good enough. Until the OL is revamped, we will never see a consistent, above avg QB.