Anthony Miller

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

Let me interrupt this day of mourning with a silver lining.

Anthony Miller is turning into one helluva slot receiver before our eyes. Something just seems to have clicked with him over the past month or month and a half.

He's just... open. A LOT. A helluva lot.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

His emergence is something that has me hopeful for 2020.
Last edited by VA_Mountain_Bear on Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:00 am His emergence is something that as me hopeful for 2020.
Agreed. At the half-way point in the season I was tremendously worried about him. I was praying to god that I couldn't have been that "off" for being in love with him since his days at Memphis.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

There's a rumor that Ridley and Miller started the season in Nagy's doghouse because they were vocally questioning his route concepts and some of the plays in training camp.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I certainly like his passion. I just think he needs to play with a little more control. I think he get's a head of himself (look to run before you catch the ball) and can be a bit hot-headed (stupid penalties). The good part is both of those are a maturity thing. There is no questioning his talent. I want to see him take a huge step next year.
Richie
MVP

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 pm There's a rumor that Ridley and Miller started the season in Nagy's doghouse because they were vocally questioning his route concepts and some of the plays in training camp.
I believe that.

This is totally a guessing game but I do believe most of Mitch's glaring "WTF?" missed throws 15+ yards down the field in the 1st half of the season were targeting Miller. Some Gabriel... but mostly Miller. I suspect that's due to those two not having the catch radius of an Allen Robinson to make-up for an errant throw.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Miller has the potential to be the next antonio brown, and also seems to have some of the same Diva mentality. I hope the Diva part goes away and Robinson rubs off on him.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:46 pm Miller has the potential to be the next antonio brown, and also seems to have some of the same Diva mentality. I hope the Diva part goes away and Robinson rubs off on him.
There's nothing Miller has done that should have him compared personality-wise to Antonio Brown.

I don't think Miller is a "diva" at all. He talks a lot but I've never seen a single play taken off or indications of selfishness. He plays very hard and I've never heard about him causing issues behind the scenes.

He can keep doing everything he does. Just cut-down on the drops a little bit.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 pm There's a rumor that Ridley and Miller started the season in Nagy's doghouse because they were vocally questioning his route concepts and some of the plays in training camp.
I watched all the TC pressers that I could on YouTube and Nagy had some clues in there about Miller where you could interpret that Miller was being a PITA.

Miller also had some nagging injuries didn't he?

I personally think that Miller is talented as hell. Watching the videos of him at Memphis his speed and ability to cut are off the charts to me.

Its hard to get a #2 WR established when Mitch is running for his life, there is no running game, the difficulty level on the offense got turned up, and all you really can, and sometimes want, to do is find the first read and throw the ball.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:49 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:46 pm Miller has the potential to be the next antonio brown, and also seems to have some of the same Diva mentality. I hope the Diva part goes away and Robinson rubs off on him.
I don't think Miller is a "diva" at all. He talks a lot but I've never seen a single play taken off or indications of selfishness. He plays very hard and I've never heard about him causing issues behind the scenes.

You're not watching closely enough.

Stupid taunting penalties after a teammate scores a TD.

Lines up improperly, then takes his lazy time jogging to the correct spot and draws a penalty.

Consistently runs wrong routes, one resulting in an INT, and the he turns around and throws up gang signs at the defender.

Reports that he didn't know how to be a professional with extra free time on his hands (I can chalk this up to youth).

Dude has had a ton of issues. Good to see him coming around, though. Love his toughness on the field.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I've heard that about Ridley (which I find extremely believable).

But with Miller, lack of professionalism & work ethic, not knowing routes, and diva attitude is the problem I've heard, not personal conflict.

(Which is incredibly ironic, given that his supposedly excellent drive, work ethic, and commitment to greatness is what caused Pace to fall in love with him and make the trade)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Young WR: Coach. On this play all 3 of Mitch's reads are running to the same spot, bringing 3 DB's in to the area where we want to throw the ball. Plus, having Cohen motion over before the snap brings a LB in to the same area. Seems like a bad design.

Coach: Obviously you don't understand how smart this play is.

Young WR: Ummm. OK.

Coach: That's it. Run some laps you wrong-route-running, unprofessional young man.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am Young WR: Coach. On this play all 3 of Mitch's reads are running to the same spot, bringing 3 DB's in to the area where we want to throw the ball. Plus, having Cohen motion over before the snap brings a LB in to the same area. Seems like a bad design.

Coach: That's it. Run some laps you wrong-route-running, unprofessional young man.
Well maybe before running the play in simulation on the tablet that did the old up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start code and it worked?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

There's nothing Miller has done that should have him compared personality-wise to Antonio Brown.

You obviously haven’t paid attention to him getting numerous bonehead penalties due to laziness or unsportsmanlike conduct.

The dude is probably the most talented wr on the roster, but also has that diva/crazy thing that has shown up at times.
G08
Hall of Famer

No shit? I haven't heard this one... May I ask where/when you came across it?

BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I read it about Ridley, I hadn't seen anything about Miller. It made the rounds on beat writer Twitter accounts about three weeks ago.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 pm
I heard it on one of the Bears Barroom Last Call episodes. Usually, I don't like to help rumors spread but that one actually makes some sense.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

It was the episode right after the Giants game.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am Young WR: Coach. On this play all 3 of Mitch's reads are running to the same spot, bringing 3 DB's in to the area where we want to throw the ball. Plus, having Cohen motion over before the snap brings a LB in to the same area. Seems like a bad design.

Well maybe before running the play in simulation on the tablet that did the old up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start code and it worked?
Hahaha.... all the players in the simulation were of course Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson.
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:08 am

Lines up improperly, then takes his lazy time jogging to the correct spot and draws a penalty.

Consistently runs wrong routes, one resulting in an INT, and the he turns around and throws up gang signs at the defender.

Reports that he didn't know how to be a professional with extra free time on his hands (I can chalk this up to youth).

Dude has had a ton of issues. Good to see him coming around, though. Love his toughness on the field.
I have seen him get MAYBE two(?) taunting penalties in his time here. You are allowed that without being considered a "diva". Vets get them too. When has he ever made a scene on the sideline or to the press? Never.

A diva is different from a guy who needs to settle down a little bit.

So far as lining up improperly and jogging. This is all likely connected to your whole Trubisky thing and you probably got it from "The Tape Never Lies".
throws up gang signs at the defender.
Nothing makes me crack up more than white suburban (or any type of sheltered) guys complaining about young black dudes throwing up "gang signs".

What's the longest stint you ever did in county? Tell me about all those "gang signs" you seen. lol
Last edited by Richie on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:41 pm

You obviously haven’t paid attention to him getting numerous bonehead penalties due to laziness or unsportsmanlike conduct.

The dude is probably the most talented wr on the roster, but also has that diva/crazy thing that has shown up at times.

How many has he gotten? I haven't missed a snap of a Bears game in years. What is it? One, two... three at most?

A diva is different from a guy who just needs to relax a bit and let the game come to him.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

As you can see, I said it shows up at times and that he has the potential to go that way.

Rarely do these things tone down with wide receivers in my experience looking in from the outside and he obviously started the season in the doghouse with Nagy as he wasn’t seeing the field for a reason.

Ultra talented player that I like a lot, I just don’t like the beginning of noise around him.

Miller has the talent and ability to be the best wr in the nfl. He also has moments where he committed offensive pi, dropped the ball which then got intercepted, then proceeded to talk trash. That’s a clown move, and he has had a couple of them.

I hope he matures because the dude can ball when he is locked in.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The fire inside Miller that drives him to be great is the same fire that will cause him to lose his shit and commit stupid penalties. You have to take the good with the bad, and his good can be really really good.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:49 am
G08 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:08 am

I have seen him get MAYBE two(?) taunting penalties in his time here. You are allowed that without being considered a "diva". Vets get them too. When has he ever made a scene on the sideline or to the press? Never.

A diva is different from a guy who needs to settle down a little bit.

So far as lining up improperly and jogging. This is all likely connected to your whole Trubisky thing and you probably got it from "The Tape Never Lies".
throws up gang signs at the defender.
Nothing makes me crack up more than white suburban (or any type of sheltered) guys complaining about young black dudes throwing up "gang signs".

What's the longest stint you ever did in county? Tell me about all those "gang signs" you seen. lol
I believe coach Furrey pointed out the laziness in getting lined up and Matt Forte called out the "gang signs".

Good lord, you are something else :rofl:

IE
Hall of Famer

I spent the first half of the season constantly bitching about Nagy and Trubisky not using Anthony Miller, and the second half of the season being exactly right about Anthony Miller. The only reason he's not the best WR on the team right now is because 12 is a probowl caliber receiver.

The guy is a beast, and every part of him is great including his intensity and competitiveness. A handful of penalties? He'll grow out of that fast. The passion and the fire? He won't grow out of that. He's effing Steve Smith-class WR if he can stay healthy, and the criticism of him is friggin ridiculous. SHAME on Nagy AND Trubisky for not figuring out the clearly obvious (that Miller is so valuable) until they were forced to use him when Gabriel went out. They're friggin meatheads for that.

The only excuse Nagy gets for that is Miller had the weak wing and had it braced for the first few games until mid-game against the Raiders when he took it off to improve his range. But it sure doesn't seem like Nagy was protecting Miller -it always looked to me like Nagy was just promoting Gabriel at the expense of the team. And I don't blame Miller one bit for not liking it.

Guess who's not going to the playoffs? Matt Nagy's Chicago Bears. And this is one of the reasons.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:47 am I spent the first half of the season constantly bitching about Nagy and Trubisky not using Anthony Miller, and the second half of the season being exactly right about Anthony Miller. The only reason he's not the best WR on the team right now is because 12 is a probowl caliber receiver.

The guy is a beast, and every part of him is great including his intensity and competitiveness. A handful of penalties? He'll grow out of that fast. The passion and the fire? He won't grow out of that. He's effing Steve Smith-class WR if he can stay healthy, and the criticism of him is friggin ridiculous. SHAME on Nagy AND Trubisky for not figuring out the clearly obvious (that Miller is so valuable) until they were forced to use him when Gabriel went out. They're friggin meatheads for that.

The only excuse Nagy gets for that is Miller had the weak wing and had it braced for the first few games until mid-game against the Raiders when he took it off to improve his range. But it sure doesn't seem like Nagy was protecting Miller -it always looked to me like Nagy was just promoting Gabriel at the expense of the team. And I don't blame Miller one bit for not liking it.

Guess who's not going to the playoffs? Matt Nagy's Chicago Bears. And this is one of the reasons.
Yeah, because none of Miller's lack of early season success has anything to do with Miller himself. It couldn't possibly be. It's all on the gimmicky coach and colossal bust at QB. Miller runs every route precisely and correctly every time.

It couldn't at all be that 10 and 17 are growing and learning to work together and beginning to have success, leading to the coach trusting him to be more involved. Preposterous.

*EDIT - sorry, that came off super dickish. I'm just a little frustrated everything about the Bears being looked at in a vacuum.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

WR is a position at which guys seem to take 2 to 3 years to adjust to the pro game. We see the potential in Miller and he's making lots of progress towards being an impact player consistently.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

I like him a lot as the #2 WR in this offense, but he has a ways to go yet.

I still want a legit burner on the outside and will be pounding the table for (assuming he's healthy and not some Grade-A douche bag) Phillip Dorsett.

1. Robinson
2. Miller
3. Dorsett
4 and 5. Wims/Ridley

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:47 pm
I still want a legit burner on the outside
That's the real conundrum here

• Gabriel is very meh and overpriced
  • You don't have much draft capital to work with and recently burned 3 good draft picks to get Miller & Ridley, so you'd really rather not use another
But if you cut Gabriel and don't draft, then you're left with no deep speed
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:24 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:47 pm
I still want a legit burner on the outside
That's the real conundrum here

• Gabriel is very meh and overpriced
  • You don't have much draft capital to work with and recently burned 3 good draft picks to get Miller & Ridley, so you'd really rather not use another
But if you cut Gabriel and don't draft, then you're left with no deep speed
Not really. I've always thought Gabriel was redundant with Cohen on the roster.