Update: Broncos hire Shurmur for OC position

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Shurmur is out in NY. So far this year, it's clear that the Bears offense is undisciplined and unorganized. They frequently line up in the wrong places. Run the wrong routes. Poor blocking schemes. Missed blocks.

Now. A lot of this can be attributed to poor execution. But as the saying goes, the fish rots from the head down. We all loved Shurmur as the OC in Minnesota, and many were calling for him to be the HC of the Bears.

If and ONLY if Pace can dislodge the play calling from Nagy, do you fire Hellfrich and hire Shurmur to take over the offense?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Outside of play calling, would having say in some of the top offensive assistant be something that could sway Shurmur?

Nagy is going to struggle to find a top guy if he doesn't give up something.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nagy isn't giving up shit. No way he hires a "name" OC. He is the alpha here and doesn't want someone overriding him.

Look for the yes man type to get hired.
UOK
Site Admin

NAGY: Hey Pat, we're excited to have you here in the building. Thanks for coming for the interview.

SHURMUR: Thanks coach, I'm thrilled for the opportunity.

NAGY: So tell me - what are your thoughts on bubble screens?

SHURMUR: Love 'em.

NAGY: It's 3rd and 12 - what play concept should you call?

SHURMUR: Haha, easy - 5 yard checkdown.

NAGY: Sign here, and here, and...here. Great. Welcome aboard.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd love to have him here... knows the offense, has experience and success calling plays in the NFL, etc.

Question is... would he want to come here and would Nagy give up play-calling? I don't know if I see the latter happening, which gives me pause on the former.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:40 am Shurmur is out in NY. So far this year, it's clear that the Bears offense is undisciplined and unorganized. They frequently line up in the wrong places. Run the wrong routes. Poor blocking schemes. Missed blocks.

Now. A lot of this can be attributed to poor execution. But as the saying goes, the fish rots from the head down. We all loved Shurmur as the OC in Minnesota, and many were calling for him to be the HC of the Bears.

If and ONLY if Pace can dislodge the play calling from Nagy, do you fire Hellfrich and hire Shurmur to take over the offense?
Yes.
wab
Mod

Helfrich might go back to college. I could also see HH getting sunsetted.
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 am I'd love to have him here... knows the offense, has experience and success calling plays in the NFL, etc.

Question is... would he want to come here and would Nagy give up play-calling? I don't know if I see the latter happening, which gives me pause on the former.
Nagy's not going to give up play calling. That's to be expected. What he needs is an OC who can essentially be a sanity check. Helfrich and Nagy had never met before 2018 and I think part of that was Nagy's desire to work with Helfrich to think outside the box. What I believe proved to be the biggest frustrations for Nagy on offense this season is a combination of...

INJURIES
  • Kyle Long
  • Bobby Massie
  • Trey Burton
  • Taylor Gabriel
INEPTITUDE/BEING IN OVER THEIR HEADS
  • Mitch Trubisky
  • James Daniels
  • Adam Shaheen
WELCOME TO THE NFL
  • Jet Sweep
  • Bubble Screen
  • *insert broken gimmick play here*
The major problems were of course Trubisky looking completely and utterly lost the first 6-8 weeks of the season and you cannot understate how much of a disaster James Daniels was at Center. His inability to step up cost this team a ton early on, and paired with Kyle Long's injury in the first couple games, he was destined to fail regardless.

Burton was at maybe 50% going into the season and he essentially will leave the Bears having stolen a great deal of his contract. Shaheen should never have been allowed to be on the roster this year, and if he didn't have "2nd round pick" before his name in the draft, he'd have been a preseason cutdown.

The Bears should've known Long's health was uncertain, and having to choose between Ted Larsen and Rashaad Coward was a disastrous farce. The Bears should've known Trubisky's issues were glaring and signed a backup that could buoy the team in case of injury/performance required it.

There's a lot of this "the Bears should have known" that they chose to address by hoping things worked themselves out. Instead they went 8-8, playing in many ways like a 4-12 team that didn't give up (no small feat). That's the one thing Nagy has going for him, is that his roster believes in him. They stuck together through a horrid season, and while 8-8 isn't anything to write home about, this team played some dogshit, boring, and inept football for most of the season, and still somehow managed to win 8 games, sweeping both the Vikings and Lions.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 am There's a lot of this "the Bears should have known" that they chose to address by hoping things worked themselves out. Instead they went 8-8, playing in many ways like a 4-12 team that didn't give up (no small feat). That's the one thing Nagy has going for him, is that his roster believes in him. They stuck together through a horrid season, and while 8-8 isn't anything to write home about, this team played some dogshit, boring, and inept football for most of the season, and still somehow managed to win 8 games, sweeping both the Vikings and Lions.
The craziest part of them being 8-8 is that as meh as this team was this season, they were just as close to being 12-4 as they were to being 8-8.

I know your record is your record, but the fact that they were in all but a couple of games until the very end has to account for something.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am
UOK wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 am There's a lot of this "the Bears should have known" that they chose to address by hoping things worked themselves out. Instead they went 8-8, playing in many ways like a 4-12 team that didn't give up (no small feat). That's the one thing Nagy has going for him, is that his roster believes in him. They stuck together through a horrid season, and while 8-8 isn't anything to write home about, this team played some dogshit, boring, and inept football for most of the season, and still somehow managed to win 8 games, sweeping both the Vikings and Lions.
The craziest part of them being 8-8 is that as meh as this team was this season, they were just as close to being 12-4 as they were to being 8-8.

I know your record is your record, but the fact that they were in all but a couple of games until the very end has to account for something.
I'm finding more solace in this as time goes on, honestly. It's a bit more of a kick to the nuts at first, but looking back I'll take 8-8 with almost being 10-6 over a 4 or 5 win season any day of the week.

It tells me that things are not as bad as they seem, and we *should* have an easier schedule next season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:20 am NAGY: Hey Pat, we're excited to have you here in the building. Thanks for coming for the interview.

SHURMUR: Thanks coach, I'm thrilled for the opportunity.

NAGY: So tell me - what are your thoughts on bubble screens?

SHURMUR: Love 'em.

NAGY: It's 3rd and 12 - what play concept should you call?

SHURMUR: Haha, easy - 5 yard checkdown.

NAGY: Sign here, and here, and...here. Great. Welcome aboard.
Would this be after passing the phone screen regarding his thoughts about running Cohen up the middle and Patterson in the wildcat? When does a quad to the right on the right hash mark in the red zone get brought up?

I think the new OC will be Mike Kafka, QB coach of the Chiefs.

But yes, the correct answer is somebody like Shurmur.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I wanted Shurmur as our HC. Would love him as our OC. Won't happen in 1,000,000 years.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am

No they weren't. If you're going strictly by score, then maybe. But they had 11 games where they failed to score a TD in the first half. Most of their points came in garbage time against prevent defenses, when they were down by 2+ scores. By your logic, if teams actually decided to play defense in the 4th quarter, they just as easily could have been 6-10.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:21 am Helfrich might go back to college. I could also see HH getting sunsetted.
For all the blather about Heistand being an OL guru. Our OL completely regressed under him. Daniels hasn't developed, anyone we stuck in Long's spot was marginal at best, and Leno sucked this year. I'm all for kicking HH to the curb.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 pm
wab wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:21 am Helfrich might go back to college. I could also see HH getting sunsetted.
For all the blather about Heistand being an OL guru. Our OL completely regressed under him. Daniels hasn't developed, anyone we stuck in Long's spot was marginal at best, and Leno sucked this year. I'm all for kicking HH to the curb.
Not a single coach on this staff should be safe, though we obviously know most are. How likely is is that Nagy turns over a significant portion of his staff? I just can't see it. It's his own staff, and he can't fire them all and remain credibility.

I think they'll move on from Helrich and Ragone. Maybe the TE coach or WR coach. Maybe they'll get lucky and one of those guys will move on for a lateral role (everyone should be out of contract as position coaches are normally 2 year deals). RB coach is really the only offensive coach I can't muster a serious argument for firing.

Hire Shurmur and let him handpick the QB coach and a QC coach. Make him the highest paid OC. Throw in a assistant HC or passing game coordinator title. I'd like to say its just as simple as giving him play calling duties, but I just don't see it happening.

We'll see what happens with DAL and JAX, but its shaping up to be a very light offseason for coach movement. That creates a lot less opportunity to poach guys, especially with one coach already moving between vacancies so you figure he'll retain a lot of his old staff.

Gruden and the WAS staff may be valuable to hit up. I guess Kitchens could actually be a good hire too. But that's about it as far as coaching movement. It will be a lot of unproven guys or college coaches as your pool of assistant, plus maybe a few who are out of contract if you can pounce on them quickly.
wab
Mod

If you're going strictly by score
Isn't that how, you know, they figure out who wins and loses?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:43 pm
If you're going strictly by score
Isn't that how, you know, they figure out who wins and loses?
Sorry @Bears Whiskey Nut, he's got ya there! :lol:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

pat shurmur got fucking case keenum a huge payday, if he can do that he can probably get all there is to get out of mitch.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The score of the game does give you the whole story. WAB’s talking about “almosts” and “what-ifs” and all I’m saying is that it’s easy to look at it another way.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 pm pat shurmur got fucking case keenum a huge payday, if he can do that he can probably get all there is to get out of mitch.
That’s a really good point and Keenum will probably end up being the Bears back up next year too.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wab and G08 i know you are alway optimistic. This team was bad. Worse then their record. Your eyes told you and ours told us that. The team has talent, but key positions, and in my opinion organizationally, where horrendous. Thankfully the teams they beat where horrendous in more areas.
wab
Mod

I wouldn’t say I’m optimistic. I’d say I’m not going to devolve into a panic and work myself up over an average year.

I’m patient I guess.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I think this guy has sources and was early on the Castillo news...
wab
Mod

I've seen that he's been hired on some sketchy twitter accounts, but DBB is pretty reputable.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm
First he said Mike Kafka.

Then he said it's nobody..

Now it's Pat Shurmur...

I don't know. Sounds like throwing shit at the wall to me but I hope he's right!
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:12 am Wab and G08 i know you are alway optimistic. This team was bad. Worse then their record. Your eyes told you and ours told us that. The team has talent, but key positions, and in my opinion organizationally, where horrendous. Thankfully the teams they beat where horrendous in more areas.
I dunno I wouldn't say I'm always optimistic... I just told myself to be patient with the QB and that's what I'm doing. I don't think we were worse than an 8-8 team (maybe 7-9 I suppose), but again we were a missed field goal and a stupid special teams penalty from being 10-6, so the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I see a strong defense, and an offense that needs work. Get the run game going, protect your QB, and let's see what 10 can do. If he plays like dogshit, move on and draft his replacement in the first round of the 2021 draft.

I just strongly think the worst outcome is 10 being a failure so I have no problem letting him go into year 3 of this system and seeing what he can do. Thus far, he's right in line with what other QBs have done in this system. That can't be argued.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

This would be amazing. My pants are getting tight just thinking about it.

Please do not bring Keenum with you Pat.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:13 pm
This would be amazing. My pants are getting tight just thinking about it.

Please do not bring Keenum with you Pat.
If he becomes OC I think you can almost expect that Keenum will be QB2.
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08
Hall of Famer

Redskins have contacted former Giants coach Pat Shurmur about possibly becoming their offensive coordinator, a person with knowledge of the situation said. Current offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell has met with Rivera and may stay but is expected to have interest from other teams. No interview has been set up with Shurmur, the person said.