2019 Post-mortem Presser: Pace and Nagy to Speak at 9:30am

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

This should be super interesting or super bland and irritating.

9:30am, I'll provide a link via Twitter once the Bears / others make it available.
Last edited by G08 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'm going to go with super boring. No staff changes will be announced yet. He'll talk about how they have to go through their year end process and circle up Yada Yada. It isn't good enough, we expect better for ourselves, for our fans, Yada Yada. Virginia is as pissed off as anyone else. Conviction conviction conviction. Pumped pumped pumped.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm I'm going to go with super boring. No staff changes will be announced yet. He'll talk about how they have to go through their year end process and circle up Yada Yada. It isn't good enough, we expect better for ourselves, for our fans, Yada Yada. Virginia is as pissed off as anyone else. Conviction conviction conviction. Pumped pumped pumped.
:lol: Thank you for the laugh!

I think that is probably Pace's plan but I'm curious to see if the beat writers get together and pin him in a corner.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm I'm going to go with super boring. No staff changes will be announced yet. He'll talk about how they have to go through their year end process and circle up Yada Yada. It isn't good enough, we expect better for ourselves, for our fans, Yada Yada. Virginia is as pissed off as anyone else. Conviction conviction conviction. Pumped pumped pumped.
Hard to argue with that. I think you nailed it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not much ever comes out of these. I will try to listen but will probably wait for a Cliff Notes version later. Hell I sat aside Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays for these bastards, not going to make it a point to settle by the radio or computer for this shit show.
UOK
Site Admin

It'll be the same old shit. The Bears never do anything that resembles public spectacle, so it'll simply be a "we need to do better," "we don't anticipate sweeping change," "we have George and Ted's support," and a TON of stuff about, "we're in this together, all of us, top to bottom," "we feel like we're headed in the right direction," boilerplate boilerplate boilerplate, soundbite, soundbite, soundbite.

WHAT ABOUT MITCH?

"We're evaluating all positions on both sides of the ball, not just quarterback."
"We feel good about Mitchell, we like him a lot."
"We're still in the evaluation phase of the whole roster."

ANY COACHING CHANGES

"I'm not making decisions right away."
"I trust Matt to do what's best for the team."

WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE

"George, Ted, Matt, and myself are all asking ourselves that question now, but we're sticking together."
"We feel like the future is bright for the Chicago Bears."
UOK
Site Admin

Get your bingo sheets ready:

UOK
Site Admin

UOK
Site Admin

WP.1
Player of the Month

biggest joke

why you know you can get better?

"because we were 12-4"

(yeah, the only reason for that the defense.)
G08
Hall of Famer

As I was watching this live I thought to myself, "Man, wouldn't this be so much better if there was a mandatory '3 shots and 3 beers' required from Pace, Nagy and all of the media?"

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yup, that's what I expected.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While this is what I expected, this is the norm for these types of conferences by any team, I had to turn the radio (traveling to Wal Mart) off. It was more generic than it should/could have been. The comments by Pace that the season just ended two days ago and basically can't answer that now. THAT is the reason they had this prior to any season ending eval being done, so they didn't have to say anything.
UOK
Site Admin

The Bears organization has been this way for years. It's the NFL line. Avoid creating talking points at all costs.
IE
Hall of Famer

This is the reason I did not want the Bears winning any games down the stretch. They think they're above average and just had a bit of bad luck. They believe they were prepared and well-coached. I don't believe that is remotely true. They won a couple of game very luckily too. Sure, this team could easily be 10-6 or even 11-5. IF absolutely all the breaks went their way. But they could also easily be 5-11 as well.

That is because this team relies on luck rather than being a basic, fundamentally sound team. Accordingly, small breaks one way or the other can really change a record. But the real tale is the stats that UOK shared... this offense is putrid all around. Bad in an EPIC way. Yet... there is talent. A good QB would tear it up with these receivers. A good coach would have the line playing in synch and not looking so clueless. A good playcaller would be able to play the hands he's dealt and not bet and play every hand like he's holding a royal.

My prediction for next year: 10-6 or 9-7 with a few lucking swings back in the Bear's favor. And then getting punched in the face in a wild card game by a really well-coached team like the Niners or Eagles.

What SHOULD happen: A better prepared, coached and led team that punches other people in the nose on the way to the SB.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:37 am The Bears organization has been this way for years. It's the NFL line. Avoid creating talking points at all costs.
There's literally nothing to be gained by doing anything provactive in these pressers. Its basically useful for fans for really narrowly defined info like getting a few injury/surgery updates. Anyone getting upset over the content over these YE pressers probably just need to step back and find a relaxing hobby or something.
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 am Anyone getting upset over the content over these YE pressers probably just need to step back and find a relaxing hobby or something.
Haha, wouldn't that be something.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

What will bother me more is, if Shaheen and Floyd are back on the roster this coming year. That will show me if this GM and Nags are really are about putting the best team out there.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm What will bother me more is, if Shaheen and Floyd are back on the roster this coming year. That will show me if this GM and Nags are really are about putting the best team out there.
Barring a trade or surprise, they'll both be there. You can invite, what, 90 guys to camp? What matters is if you address weak positions via elite draft picks and/or free agency. If the Bears invite another cluster of nobodies to compete with Shaheen, they're clearly drunk.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:55 am
I can’t. I just can’t. What exactly does Leonard Floyd bring to the team other than incompetence?

OK I get it. Pace drafted the guy so its one of those things where if Floyd looks bad then Pace looks bad. But at some point the problem stops being Floyd and starts being Pace.

Regarding the rest of it....

What a clown show. Why even have these? Those pressers sound like they come from North Korea or that Baghdad Bob guy. They’d fit right in with the book 1984. Nothing to see here. Everything is fine.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

as expected, that was a whole lot of nothing ... they probably had 2 scripts prepared before the season even began ... Folder 1 was the winning season post season speech, Folder 2 the losing season post season speech

the only controversy may have been Nagy saying they were 8-8, which technically isn't a losing season, so maybe they needed a new script ... then Pace just stared at him while he shredded Folder 1 and shoved Folder 2 into Nagy's chest
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:00 pm as expected, that was a whole lot of nothing ... they probably had 2 scripts prepared before the season even began ... Folder 1 was the winning season post season speech, Folder 2 the losing season post season speech

the only controversy may have been Nagy saying they were 8-8, which technically isn't a losing season, so maybe they needed a new script ... then Pace just stared at him while he shredded Folder 1 and shoved Folder 2 into Nagy's chest
It was a marathon session last night re-writing the script lol
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Reading between the lines...

GM Ryan Pace announces the #Bears plan is for Mitch Trubisky to be the starting QB in 2020.

Pace: “Does anyone know where I can find a realistic replacement? Anyone? Seriously anyone? I’m not kidding. I’m desperate here.”

Matt Nagy on if he’ll make changes on his coaching staff: “We’re working through that … we’re looking at everything."

Nagy: “Look, I've only had a couple of days. That's hardly enough time to decide who to throw under the bus for my failings yet! After all, there are many, many of them...”

"That will all be a part of the discussion moving forward" - Ryan Pace on if the Bears will bring in someone who can compete with Trubisky. He also noted Chase Daniel (who will be a UFA) is part of that discussion.

Pace: “Well I’ve got no choice have I? On the bright side, it won't be hard to find a QB with a higher passer rating than Trubisky. Even Chase Daniel managed that this year!”

Bears GM Ryan Pace says the team has not decided yet whether to pick up Mitchell Trubisky's fifth-year option but Bears are still very committed to Trubisky for next season, that is clear.

Pace: “I don’t really want to fork out $25m on Trubisky, but I’m probably going to have to. Seriously, does anyone know where I can find a quarterback to bail me out of this mess?” You know, one who can overcome a non-existent run game, lousy pass protection and receivers who regularly drop passes...

Ryan Pace said of Matt Nagy: "I have extreme confidence in him as our head coach, extreme confidence in him as a play-caller, and extreme confidence in him righting the ship."

Pace: “If he screws up again we’re both out of a job.”

Matt Nagy says the biggest step he wants Mitchell Trubisky to take this offseason is to master understanding coverages from defenses.

Nagy: “He’s been in the league for 3 years and he still can’t read defenses. I know I was hired to turn him into a franchise QB, but it’s hardly my fault he’s nice but dim now is it?! I would have been a Hall of Fame QB if I'd had me as a mentor... ”

Ryan Pace: “We’re happy with Leonard (Floyd). I know the stats don’t always say that. … There aren’t a lot of outside linebackers that can provide the versatility he provides."

Pace: “Look, I’ve already given up two first round picks and $141m to fix this cock up. What more do you want?!”

Pace updates medical situation for Roquan Smith: had pec surgery, hope is he's ready for training camp.

Pace: “God, I really hope he’s going to be OK. I can’t see another top 10 pick turn into a bust!”

Pace updates medical situation for Trey Burton: had hip surgery, hope is he's ready for camp.

Pace: “Yes, yes, I had a brain-fart for not having a contract out after two years like I have with every other free agent I’ve signed. Nothing I can do about it now though is there, so get off my back alright?”

Pace updates medical situation for Anthony Miller: looks like he needs left shoulder surgery.

Pace: “Man, my second round picks are turning out to be almost as disastrous as my first round ones. It’s not my fault they’re all so brittle!”

Pace says he expects Shaheen back to compete for a job next year. Says he's talented, but his development has been hurt by missed time. #Bears like what they've seen when he's been healthy.

Pace: “Oh God, my second round picks are going the same way as my first rounders! I knew I’d regret it the moment I smashed that mirror when I found out Kevin White had that shin injury and was going to miss his rookie year.”
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

From a salary cap standpoint I can't see how they can afford to bring Floyd back. He's way too expensive for as invisible as he is on game days.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 pm What will bother me more is, if Shaheen and Floyd are back on the roster this coming year. That will show me if this GM and Nags are really are about putting the best team out there.
Prepare to be bothered.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:17 pm
Boris13c wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:00 pm as expected, that was a whole lot of nothing ... they probably had 2 scripts prepared before the season even began ... Folder 1 was the winning season post season speech, Folder 2 the losing season post season speech

It was a marathon session last night re-writing the script lol
I don't think you're too far off. I imagine a scene like from Back To School where Rodney Dangerfield has a room full of scholars working on various research papers for him telling people to beef up the presentation a little bit because it feels like a "C".
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:36 pm
Prepare to be bothered.
Shaheen will be in camp. He almost certainly won't make the roster. It would take a dramatic turnaround.

Floyd will come down to numbers. If he's on the roster, hopefully its at the right cap number. If it is, it absolutely shouldn't bother anyone.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't know what you all thought of it overall, but I was not happy with it. They kept saying that the results were unacceptable, and that they don't have their heads in the sand about it, but anytime a reporter asked a pointed question about a particular player they praised that player. And when they pressed Pace on Nagy/Play calling - he was great too. And when they pressed George on Pace, he has full confidence in him too!

Mitch was the most obvious, but they did it with everyone. How can every player on our team be great, and our HC/Play Caller be great, and our GM be great, but the result sucks?

With Mitch specifically, they just kept saying that he had some great moments but then some "valleys" that they need to smooth out. But they never address the very very very real possibility that "this just is who Mitch is", an inconsistent player.

I'd rather they wait a couple weeks after the season to have this type of presser. After they've had the time to review everything and watch all the film and all that stuff they kept saying they hadn't gotten to yet eval wise. Then come to the table with real answers to legit questions. What they just did was pointless IMO.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 am I don't know what you all thought of it overall, but I was not happy with it. They kept saying that the results were unacceptable, and that they don't have their heads in the sand about it, but anytime a reporter asked a pointed question about a particular player they praised that player. And when they pressed Pace on Nagy/Play calling - he was great too. And when they pressed George on Pace, he has full confidence in him too!

Mitch was the most obvious, but they did it with everyone. How can every player on our team be great, and our HC/Play Caller be great, and our GM be great, but the result sucks?

With Mitch specifically, they just kept saying that he had some great moments but then some "valleys" that they need to smooth out. But they never address the very very very real possibility that "this just is who Mitch is", an inconsistent player.

I'd rather they wait a couple weeks after the season to have this type of presser. After they've had the time to review everything and watch all the film and all that stuff they kept saying they hadn't gotten to yet eval wise. Then come to the table with real answers to legit questions. What they just did was pointless IMO.

The whole point of these press conferences (for the Bears, anyway) is to do the following:
  • generate no already-internally-discussed talking points
  • elaborate on injuries (this helps cultivate sympathy/justify shortcomings)
  • create an "atmosphere" of positivity and control
  • provide zero indication as to what direction or strategy the franchise will do next
  • reinforce unity within the organization as a whole
  • get the media portion of their obligations done as soon as possible so they can get on with their work
Facts are that these guys have no obligation to involve the fans and press beyond what is contractually required. The little said the better, as far as they're concerned, and they have that right.

You could interpret it as "cowardly" that hours after a press conference full of nothingspeak they made significant firings and at least one significant hiring, but why the hell would they want to talk about that stuff right now? They're in the offseason and don't want other parties to know what they're up to for the sake of remaining competitive.

While we as fans may bang the table, shouting, "YOU CAN ONLY DO DAT IF YOU WIN TER-TEEN GAMES AND A FEW SUPER BOWLZ," they can do whatever they want. We should honestly be pretty satisfied with this regime, on the whole. There's a lot to be upset about and the season was a difficult one to stomach, but expecting the GM to come out before the media and be brutally candid is illogical. I'd be worried as hell if our GM was so loose-lipped.

I've been listening to a lot of Cleveland sports talk radio and following this current Browns turnover, remembering how the Bears Emery/Trestman meltdown occurred, and feeling no envy for that particular franchise. I know it's shitty to be like, "hey everybody, it could always be worse!" but it's true. It's very true.

Let's try to be at least a little grateful for where we're at.
IE
Hall of Famer

I do hate the lack of candor. It's just not their style. Which is why I'll probably not like Nagy unless he really wins - a lot. My hope here is that they're just keeping it in-house for now, while they can. It really helps them in every way to be perceived as not looking for a QB. Their asses are on the line and they really don't own anyone (including 10) a head's up on what they're going to do to save them.

It is easy to explain everything away with "Pace is invested in a guy, so they're going nowhere". That has elements of truth - but reality is all GMs have to eventually recognize and get rid of their bad investments if they want to live on. No matter how painful it is. Some sooner rather than later. Some higher picks too - it just comes with the territory. The only thing that matters to a GM is keeping their job. And the only sure way to do that is win.

As soon as they understand that an investment is going to harm their chances of winning more than help them (e.g. Shaheen), they should be gone. If a GM loves his mistakes too long, the GM will be gone. We'll see soon whether Pace loves his mistakes more than his job.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!