Bears fire OC Helfrich, coaches Hiestand (OL), Gilbride (TE), Olivo (ST Asst.)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm skeptical that all of them combined are 1/4 as much of the problem as Nagy, but with an offensive output this rancid, you can't really do worse, can you?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Had to be done. They need to take Ragone with them.

I know we won't get it, but damn we need an offensive coordinator who will call plays. And without that power, who are you going to get? Nagy's not a lane duck coach, but his seat isn't totally cool either. Who wants to be OC with no play calling responsibilities for a regime that could conceivably be gone in shitty order?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'll be pretty surprised if Ragone doens't eventually follow. Not sure the WR has done anything to keep his job, but I suppose Nagy won't cut his whole offensive staff.

As good as Heistand's repuation was coming in, and its surprising from that regards, I don't really think you could look at the OL production and not justify a move.

Wonder how Bars feels now? Presumably turned down the Pats becuase of his old line coach, and now he's gone, haha. They had another former ND lineman, Mustipher on the PS too.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Kind of interesting that the running issues are trying to be pinned on both these guys. I don't think anyone really knew exactly what Helfrich's responsibilities were...

Idea - look at the old Carolina O staff for OLine/Run game coordinator/OC. They seem to know what they were doing with the Run game. Not sure if Rivera will try to bring them over or not, though.
Dardango
Journeyman

The problem is Nagy and Pace. This team will not get better until those two go.
UOK
Site Admin

Dardango wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:14 pm The problem is Nagy and Pace. This team will not get better until those two go.
See Browns, Cleveland for why this level of repeated turnover is a horrible, horrible idea.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Tabor needs to go. Please tell me they don't keep him.
UOK
Site Admin

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm Tabor needs to go. Please tell me they don't keep him.
If he wasn't fired today, he won't be fired. That is my speculation, anyway.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:34 pm I'm skeptical that all of them combined are 1/4 as much of the problem as Nagy, but with an offensive output this rancid, you can't really do worse, can you?
never ever say "it can't get any worse" with this franchise because they will take that as a challenge

history backs me up on this
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:28 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm Tabor needs to go. Please tell me they don't keep him.
If he wasn't fired today, he won't be fired. That is my speculation, anyway.
I think that's very likely. We may still see a few more position coach changes, especially if any guys are just out of contract. But for the coordinators, we'd hear about it in that first wave.
docc
Head Coach

Good moves.. Helfrich and Hiestand needed to go.. Keep HC and get OC help..
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Lets see, when they stressed the run game, lined up in the I formation, the run game was pretty successful. When Nagy runs Cohen up the middle and it fails.....it is Helfrich and HH's fault. Interesting.

You launch the TE coach, the position that was practically absent on this team. The position that was chock full of ?s and and also rans. Interesting.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

How did the OLB coach survive? Our pass rush was pathetic, despite having a certain HOFer (who had his worst year ever) and a top 10 pick who had 3 sacks, when he's previously put up 8.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:03 pm Lets see, when they stressed the run game, lined up in the I formation, the run game was pretty successful. When Nagy runs Cohen up the middle and it fails.....it is Helfrich and HH's fault. Interesting.
yeah, it does seem like they are Nagy's chosen scapegoats for his unwillingness to address reality

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:03 pmYou launch the TE coach, the position that was practically absent on this team. The position that was chock full of ?s and and also rans. Interesting.
and when you launch him, launch Shaheen who is a big fat zero as a contributor
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm
Dardango wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:14 pm The problem is Nagy and Pace. This team will not get better until those two go.
See Browns, Cleveland for why this level of repeated turnover is a horrible, horrible idea.
Wholeheartedly agree. You can’t keep a revolving door of GM’s and HC’s and expect to have any level of success.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:24 pm
UOK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Wholeheartedly agree. You can’t keep a revolving door of GM’s and HC’s and expect to have any level of success.
You can't keep bad GMs and HCs and expect to have any level of success.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

For me, whether they were scapegoats or not, this is a step in the right direction.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 pm

Bad or inexperienced?
UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 pm

You can't have it both ways. Basically are you on team Bengals (stick with everyone for way, way too long) or team Browns (fires everyone constantly)?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm with UOK, it's just too early to burn it all down. pick up mitch's 5th year option, give nagy, a young first time coach who it should be obvious is going to have some growing pains, and then make some hard decisions next year depending on results.
beyond that, there's alot i still really like about what pace has done here, and also i dont really get the visceral hatred of burton. just a shitty lost season for everyone and that sucks, but there was a lot of excitement about this roster going into the year, and that excitement existed for a reason.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I'm sure it's scapegoating but the old adage is you can't fire the whole team. At very least it's an acknowledgement of where some if the biggest issues are....now they have to do something about it besides coaching.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:43 pm I'm with UOK, it's just too early to burn it all down. pick up mitch's 5th year option, give nagy, a young first time coach who it should be obvious is going to have some growing pains, and then make some hard decisions next year depending on results.
beyond that, there's alot i still really like about what pace has done here, and also i dont really get the visceral hatred of burton. just a shitty lost season for everyone and that sucks, but there was a lot of excitement about this roster going into the year, and that excitement existed for a reason.
Agreed. I don’t think Pace is bad. Nagy I am still waiting as I believe he is still learning as a head coach.
docc
Head Coach

O line gave little time..pocket.? what pocket.,? Trubs running to get time to throw..O line knowing the call is run off guard but can't open a whole if Walter was running into even 4 man rush..and missed blocking assignments.. Not working as a TEAM up front..
H & H needed to go.. Have no idea how much input they were giving Nagy on calls..or IF they could even coach for what the calls needed..
TEs..? Could calls be made for TEs that are not on the same page or coached well enough to even just get in the way ?

Up front is my problem.. Looked like they were not coached for this scheme..or maybe just any scheme..

I like Mitch..think he can be good..but..then all fans know better than those whose life and job relies on this..

HILARIOUS..
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:16 pm I'm sure it's scapegoating but the old adage is you can't fire the whole team. At very least it's an acknowledgement of where some if the biggest issues are....now they have to do something about it besides coaching.
Obviously many fans would be happy to fire the whole team, haha.
wab
Mod

These are the guys I expected to be let go. I like how everyone is all "SCAPEGOAT!!" after being told that Helfrich and HH were in charge of the running game - a super shitty running game mind you. Hence the firing.

Some of you dudes are different.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:31 pm
GOODBYE HELFRICH! DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE ASS DUDE BRO!

PASSING IS MOAR BETTER AMIRIGHT?

EAT SHIT ASSHOLE!

Hiestand is the one that disappoints me. I thought he would be good. I guess not. Good riddance and fuck you too Harry for your part in ruining my fun this season.

Now let's see who they get for OC. That will tell you everything. If its a name like Shurmur, Kubiak, something like that, I think Pace had a hand in it. If its the QB coach from KC, then it was Nagy.
wab
Mod

You have a lot of misplaced anger my dude.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I think people forget that Nagy's experience level with coaching was pretty slim. I'm hoping he's learning from his mistakes and growing into a better head coach. I'd hate for him to learn how to be a better head coach with us, then we fire him and he is a great coach for the next decade ala Bill Belichick.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Rakshir wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:01 pm I think people forget that Nagy's experience level with coaching was pretty slim. I'm hoping he's learning from his mistakes and growing into a better head coach. I'd hate for him to learn how to be a better head coach with us, then we fire him and he is a great coach for the next decade ala Bill Belichick.
I think it would be crazy to even entertain firing Nagy right now. He's got a lot of good qualities as a head coach. I don't like him as a play caller, that's really my main complaint with him.

Nagy with Shurmer calling plays would be a really good outcome, imo. I fully expect another yes man, because I think Nagy wants to keep calling plays though.

He might even be a good play caller with the right quarterback. But he certainly doesn't have the right one for what he wants to do, and he's way too inflexible.