MVP

SAAAWEEETTT....but ouch to the cap.
G08
Hall of Famer

That's a lot of money :lol: Good for him
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I have a bad feeling he's not going to live up to this one.
Drone7
Player of the Month

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:12 pm I have a bad feeling he's not going to live up to this one.
Agree
Z Bear
MVP

That is a lot of money for a S....but he has earned it with his play. I think this cements not paying much for the S on the other side, hopefully they can re-sign Bush cheap and draft one. Maybe they think Denmark will play S next year.
GSH
MVP

you have to pay your best players and he's one of our best. This is an extension so money doesnt affect us until 2021 season. He's only highest paid safety until the next one gets locked up on some other team.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 pm you have to pay your best players and he's one of our best. This is an extension so money doesnt affect us until 2021 season. He's only highest paid safety until the next one gets locked up on some other team.
I don't think that's true. Whatever portion of his deal is a signing bonus should get pro-rated from 2020-2024. There's plenty of ways to do it though. Its possible though that whatever savings the Fuller restructure opened up for 2020 just paid for the Jackson extension though. I'm sure details will come out soon enough though. They could structure it to not affect 2020, but I think that's doubtful.
UOK
Site Admin

Problem with this signing, as much as I love EJax, is that he's only as good as the pass rush. If Hicks and Mack aren't creating pressure and mismatches, guys like Jackson and Fuller aren't getting those turnovers nearly as often.

Basically the money they doled out here would've been nice to help the pass rush, because I don't want to be in the position next season where if Hicks goes down, the entire defense is much more easily neutralized. Diversify your pass rush assets.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Much of this deal happens after the new CBA comes into effect right? This could actually wind up being cheap in a few years. What concerns me is Jackson’s injury history. But when somebody you draft becomes a legit great player you have to take care of him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

good for Eddie

the only way this Bears team going to get better is to invest in the defense and then invest in the offensive line ... so this is a good step in the right direction IMO
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Z Bear
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 pm Much of this deal happens after the new CBA comes into effect right? This could actually wind up being cheap in a few years.
Correct, CBA expires at the end of the next league year . The other thing is all the TV contracts will be finished in 2021 and 2022. I am sure they will all be renegotiated prior to them expiring, but it is rumored Disney wants to bring back NFL football to ABC, and you all know how deep their pockets are. The salary cap could possibly be doubled up to $400M by 2022.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Normally, I would be appalled by that contract but this kid is very good at what he does and should be paid for it. A spot we don't have to worry about for a long while. Let's hope Denmark or a draft pick can at least hold their own on the other side.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 pm Normally, I would be appalled by that contract but this kid is very good at what he does and should be paid for it. A spot we don't have to worry about for a long while. Let's hope Denmark or a draft pick can at least hold their own on the other side.
Counting on Denmark for anything but depth seems very risky. They need at least a small cya vet signing. Maybe it's Bush or another FA. Grabbing another draft pick would of course be great too as they have no depth now.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:33 pm Problem with this signing, as much as I love EJax, is that he's only as good as the pass rush. If Hicks and Mack aren't creating pressure and mismatches, guys like Jackson and Fuller aren't getting those turnovers nearly as often.

Basically the money they doled out here would've been nice to help the pass rush, because I don't want to be in the position next season where if Hicks goes down, the entire defense is much more easily neutralized. Diversify your pass rush assets.
This right here. If they don't find a way to make our pass rush formidable again, this will be a big overpay. But with a solid rush, it will look like $$$ well spent.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Bears going Safety with their top pick.
BR0D1E86
MVP

His lack of splash plays this season was concerning, because this salary expects them. But he's one of the best in the league. I'm happy to have him around.
dplank
Hall of Famer

EJax has been money since he's been here. There's no way you let home grown guys like him get away, this had to be done. And doing it early like this ultimately saves us some cash, like others have said this won't be deemed a huge contract for long. He's a cornerstone player and now he's ours for a long while, well done.
cblaz11
MVP

I think that signing a safety who can play both FS and SS will allow Jackson to do what he does best more. Haha cannot play in the box which forced Jackson to do it more then he should.

I like the idea of Bush starting but we also should look to free agency for some cheap competition.
Z Bear
MVP

People worrying EJax got over paid need to watch the first play of the last Vikings game. Boone was off fora TD if Eddie did not come flying out of nowhere to track him down. He is probably the fastest safety in the league with pads on, combine that with his hands and play making ability then you get the highest paid S in the league.
wab
Mod

Are people really complaining about this?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:09 pm Are people really complaining about this?
If he would have signed this contract at the end of last year, people would be screaming how awesome Pace is. Because the Bears had a down year, now he's a moron.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:56 pm
wab wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:09 pm Are people really complaining about this?
If he would have signed this contract at the end of last year, people would be screaming how awesome Pace is. Because the Bears had a down year, now he's a moron.
Seems to be the case

I would like to see the specific breakdowns - but I always think that - devil is in the details
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't see much negativity here, most folks seem real happy with it as they should be. It's fair to wonder if he'll live up to the high salary, but I haven't seen anyone blast Pace like this was a big mistake or anything. Great player gets paid, I'm just glad he's a Bear!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

More details of the extension available.

https://overthecap.com/player/eddie-jackson/5698/

Definitely a very low risk structure, less so than I was expecting. Really a 2 year extension with an out after year 2. Of the 33M originally reported as guaranteed, a big chunk of that (11M) was an injury guarantee only. Modest increase to this year's cap hit, especially as he was likely already due to get a PPE escalation in 2020. Backloaded nicely with backend guarantees so it's likely never to account for a unreasonable % of the cap hit.