Free Agent Options: Defense

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Again, no real marquee names here. Mostly unknowns or players who were once highly regarded, but fit into the "reclamation project" category.

And remember - this list mostly assumes the Bears don't retain their own FA's at each respective position and doesn't really factor in potential releases.

CB
Ryan Smith: Keep in mind, the Bears have no pending FA’s at corner. Smith is an excellent gunner and would fill the potential void left by McManis.

Kendall Fuller: If only because it would be cool to have the Fuller Brothers on the same team. It’s hard to project his value since he was relegated to a backup after being outplayed by Charvarius Ward.

S
Jeff Heath: Veteran that can cover some ground and lay down a hit. Effective in blitz packages, even if he doesn’t get home. He’s not going to wow anyone in coverage, but he won’t get you killed.

Clayton Geathers: Rangy safety that can hit and cover. He has battled some injuries. If he can stay healthy he has promise.

EDGE
Vic Beasly: G08 might finally get his wish, 5 years later. After an up and down career with Atlanta, he seems like a good candidate for one of those classic 1 year prove it deals.

Emmanuel Ogbah: I don’t know if you can count on his health, but he’s a tremendous edge setter with surprising quickness. Another prove it deal guy. With 13 mil tied up in Floyd, that might be all they can afford.

LB
Corey Littleton: A little more on the costly side, but if the Bears don’t bring back 3 of their top 4 players inside, they may have to spend a little money.

Joe Schobert: Unless you are a football nerd this one might seem like a head scratcher, but Schobert is quietly one of the better inside linebackers in the NFL. He’s a solid tackler and was second among LB’s with 4 picks.

DL
Vernon Butler: Was buried on the depth chart after being mostly underwhelming as a first round pick. Really started to shine in his contract year paying both DE and DT.

A’Shawn Robinson: I loved him at Alabama and in the draft, but he hasn’t exactly taken the next step. He can play both on the nose, and outside.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 pm Vic Beasly: G08 might finally get his wish, 5 years later. After an up and down career with Atlanta, he seems like a good candidate for one of those classic 1 year prove it deals.

A’Shawn Robinson: I loved him at Alabama and in the draft, but he hasn’t exactly taken the next step. He can play both on the nose, and outside.
I'd love both of those signings.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:18 pm
wab wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 pm Vic Beasly: G08 might finally get his wish, 5 years later. After an up and down career with Atlanta, he seems like a good candidate for one of those classic 1 year prove it deals.

Man I loved me some Vic Beasly... right behind Amari Cooper and Leonard Williams in that God forsaken draft :frustrated:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

Wanted to add SS Karl Joseph to the list as well... I loved him coming out of WVU but haven't followed him much since he was drafted by the Raiders. Seems like he's had injury issues but man, I remember this kid coming up and knocking your block off at WVU. Would be a beautiful fit at SS in this defense.
steelworker
Rookie

Would like to see the Bears pursue Karl Joseph at SS position. He would be the perfect compliment to Eddie Jackson.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If we drop Leonard Floyd and pick up somebody like Vic Beasley my cries of ecstasy will be heard for miles.

What a generational clusterfuck of historical proportions Floyd has been.

We need somebody opposite Mack who can get to the passer. Floyd can't do that.

Overall for defensive FA's there really isn't much that is needed and with the disaster on offense we can't address everything.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm If we drop Leonard Floyd and pick up somebody like Vic Beasley my cries of ecstasy will be heard for miles.

What a generational clusterfuck of historical proportions Floyd has been.

We need somebody opposite Mack who can get to the passer. Floyd can't do that.

Overall for defensive FA's there really isn't much that is needed and with the disaster on offense we can't address everything.
Floyd has value but his pass rushing production has been pure shit, especially considering how much attention Mack is getting on the other side. (to be fair, Mack's production against 2+ blockers is pretty awful).

I'd see if Floyd would consider an extension at a lesser rate, otherwise rescind that tag and tell him to find the best offer he can. That's the logical and correct move to me, but Pace has to cover his ass with "failed first round draft picks" so I'm curious to see how this unfolds.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I really think Beasley would work well standing up in a 3-4. The Falcons kind of beat him up a lot moving him around on the line. They brought him in to play the Bruce Irvin role. Then he played LE. Then they switched him to RE. Under role he wasn't bulky enough for those roles. I wonder if he still has that first step and bend. I like the idea of bringing him in.

Ashawn Robinson fits this defense. Big tough dude. I like the fit but can't see it happening.

I could see with Prince and Floyd either restructuring or cuts players brought in. The Bears defense will need players at SS, CB, OLB, 5T. 5T became really worrying as depth was depleted.

SS I have never cared for Bush. I like the Karl Joseph idea. John Cyprien has been injured but I could see brought in cheap.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm
UOK wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:18 pm

Man I loved me some Vic Beasly... right behind Amari Cooper and Leonard Williams in that God forsaken draft :frustrated:
Yeah, it was an inauspicious start to a 3-4 defense to pass on him. The errors were compounded by wasting the pick on White and then taking Floyd.

Re-negotiate Floyd down to $7 or 8M. Transition Kwiatkowski and decide whether to match offers.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I've always been an Ogbah fan but you are correct in the health thing. If/when he stays healthy he's going to have a huge year. He might actually come cheaper due to the health issues. Worth a big look. I wouldn't mind two other cheap versions at OLB in Kamalei Correa or Vince Biegel either but would love some Judon or Jordan Jenkins.

At CB, I like Fuller but he plays more nickel so can he handle the outside? If not, there are a bunch of others like Bashaud Breeland who we should have signed the year Carolina backed out, Daryl Worley, Trae Waynes, or big bucks in Bradberry or Jones.

Safety you have Adrian Phillips coming off injury that might do a one year deal, Vonn Bell, or Justin Burris. I also like your A'Shawn Robinson idea. Might come cheaper and could fill in inside or outside.
G08
Hall of Famer

Fuller plays outside hooger
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:50 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Yeah, it was an inauspicious start to a 3-4 defense to pass on him. The errors were compounded by wasting the pick on White and then taking Floyd.

Re-negotiate Floyd down to $7 or 8M. Transition Kwiatkowski and decide whether to match offers.
You want to transition tag Kwiatkowski? Hell nah. He's not worth half that.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:36 pm Fuller plays outside hooger
Really? Didn't see much of him this year but what I read was nickle guy. His stats in 2017 in Washington and 2018 in KC were much better than at KC this year but I wouldn't mind him. I thought he played really well in Washington when I saw him. Also remember when he was at VaTech he actually looked like a better player than Kyle.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 am
G08 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:36 pm Fuller plays outside hooger
Really? Didn't see much of him this year but what I read was nickle guy. His stats in 2017 in Washington and 2018 in KC were much better than at KC this year but I wouldn't mind him. I thought he played really well in Washington when I saw him. Also remember when he was at VaTech he actually looked like a better player than Kyle.
Ah my bad, I thought you were talking about Kyle Fuller 🤦🏽‍♂️
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:50 pm

It will let them match an offer if they think he’s worth it. He’s going to see what he’s worth on the market.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 pm

It will let them match an offer if they think he’s worth it. He’s going to see what he’s worth on the market.
That tag would be 14M. His next contract might not be worth more than that over several years. He'd be smart to just play under than contract and hit FA again in 2021 if the Bears tagged him.

Their best bet is to sign him before FA starts if he agrees to a reasonable deal. If he doesn't, collect the comp pick on him and I promise he's replaceable on the open market for very little cost (possibly Trevanthan who may need to take a small deal due to his injury- could bring back Pierre Louis as a well paid backup as injury contingency in that scenario)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:08 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm

That tag would be 14M. His next contract might not be worth more than that over several years. He'd be smart to just play under than contract and hit FA again in 2021 if the Bears tagged him.

Their best bet is to sign him before FA starts if he agrees to a reasonable deal. If he doesn't, collect the comp pick on him and I promise he's replaceable on the open market for very little cost (possibly Trevanthan who may need to take a small deal due to his injury- could bring back Pierre Louis as a well paid backup as injury contingency in that scenario)
14M is way to high, I was thinking more like $8M would be the figure. If they can sign him before FA, I agree they should do it.
Last edited by Grizzled on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

I would love Beasly.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

Is Clowney not available? If he is...why aren’t we talking about him??
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

donkeykong wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm Is Clowney not available? If he is...why aren’t we talking about him??
Because there's a salary cap and our offensive line is for shit.
wab
Mod

donkeykong wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm Is Clowney not available? If he is...why aren’t we talking about him??
Because it's not realistic?