Bears moving training camp to Halas Hall this year

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... halas-hall

Pretty much guarantees I will not be at a TC for the foreseeable future. hell never went to Olivet. Loved going to Platteville.
UOK
Site Admin

Welp, so much for ever going to Training Camp again. Glad I went this year.
UOK
Site Admin

Kyle Long apparently didn't enjoy the trip:

Richie
MVP

I can't blame a bunch of young NFL football players not enjoying a month-plus spent in Bourbonais, Illinois.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 pm I can't blame a bunch of young NFL football players not enjoying a month-plus spent in Bourbonais, Illinois.
In some crappy dorm room to boot.

Downside, the local Walmarts selling a couple dozen new 50 inch flat screens each year.

Downside 2, not getting to see who roles up with the best setup like the year Jay rolled up in a conversion van.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is actually great news for me. I've always wanted to see TC but never made the commute. Lake Forest isn't that great, but its a lot better than the previous spot.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Easy to see why after the renovation why it's cheaper and easier for the team and the players to sleep in their own beds during camp time. Makes complete sense. However, for me this SUCKS big time. For me to have to come from Indiana to drive thru rush hour all the way north to Lake Forest instead of taking mostly traffic free farm roads to the south and east is a pretty horrible change. It's so much less convenient now that moving forward, I'm not sure I'll go at all. :-(
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I read an article last year about someone going out and buying a better mattress for their shitty dorm room bed and thought....WTF are we doing there? Traveling into the middle of nowhere for a month long training camp is a vestige of the past, back in the day when training camp was mainly about getting into shape and learning the playbook. These days, you are expected to be in shape and know the playbook when you arrive.

No point making these guys travel more and not get good rest during camp. Long overdue move IMO.
wab
Mod

As a fan, I loved going up there when I lived in IL. From a practical football perspective, it made zero sense for them to have camp in Bourbonnais.
UOK
Site Admin

It's definitely more of a bonding experience than anything, but the game has changed. This caliber of elite athletes shouldn't be throwing thousands away to deal with 3 weeks of substandard comfort, facilities, and obnoxious travel.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Too bad they don't tape and cast the sessions for fans to watch
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 pm Too bad they don't tape and cast the sessions for fans to watch
I’d love that. If Game Pass did something for each of the teams or whatever it would be amazing. It doesn’t even have to be the full practices. An hour of highlights and interviews or something. I watch as many of the YouTubes as I can.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I remember checking out the Rams when the had TC in Macomb, IL. It was kind cool taking my boys and it was only an hr drive. So, of course, they were initially Rams fans as they got to experience that personally. One year they had the Bears down for a Satuday combine practice, structured scrimmage.

Kind of miss Platteville. Small town, few bars, you could catch them anywhere. One of the main bars they went to was Donisi's. I remember the year Robo Cop, Thornton was drafted and standing next to him. That dude was ripped. Probably had a little help.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am Easy to see why after the renovation why it's cheaper and easier for the team and the players to sleep in their own beds during camp time. Makes complete sense. However, for me this SUCKS big time. For me to have to come from Indiana to drive thru rush hour all the way north to Lake Forest instead of taking mostly traffic free farm roads to the south and east is a pretty horrible change. It's so much less convenient now that moving forward, I'm not sure I'll go at all. :-(
You forgot that you may not be able to get (or want to pay for) much scarcer tickets, too.

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 pm It's definitely more of a bonding experience than anything

The bonding and (comparative) freedom from distractions isn't nothing.
It may well be outweighed by other advantages of being in LF, but the plusses to a camp experience are definitely real.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
cblaz11
MVP

We should do a bears fans online get together at camp/HH.
Xee
Site Admin

This actually works
cblaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am We should do a bears fans online get together at camp/HH.
We had a very small one back in '07 or '09 but since there isn't a lot of people who could make it to Bourbonnais, haven't had another since.
G08
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm This actually works
cblaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am We should do a bears fans online get together at camp/HH.
We had a very small one back in '07 or '09 but since there isn't a lot of people who could make it to Bourbonnais, haven't had another since.
I've been kicking around the idea of finding a "vacation" destination for a weekend where we could all get together, bring the significant others (so they could leave us alone :lol:) and enjoy a game together. Would people be interested in that?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:45 pm The bonding and (comparative) freedom from distractions isn't nothing.
It may well be outweighed by other advantages of being in LF, but the plusses to a camp experience are definitely real.
I can speak first hand as to the truth of this. I've seen Remember the Titans. Twice.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Did you see what that fat kid has done since he played in My Name Is Earl? He got ripped...