DeFelippo to Bears (QB Coach)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

DeFilippos QB development pedigree is definitely better than Ragone. So while I think most of us are still confounded by exactly what they like in Ragone, this seems like altogether a positive addition.

Lots of new voices for the O. Big task for Nagy to bring all those voices together. Good thing he doesn't have a kicking competition to distract him lol.
UOK
Site Admin

I liked DeFelippo a lot when he was an HC years back. Curious to see what he’ll bring to the party.
Z Bear
MVP

So who is calling plays? And WTF is Ragone doing with two experienced guys in Lazor and DeFillippo
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:24 pm
Yeah, I don't care that he and Ragone are buddies, that isn't the point of your QB coach.

If the move is Mike Kafka as OC and John DeFilippo as QB coach next year I'm good with it.

I fucking loved John DeFilippo and how he worked with Wentz. This is a home run to me and he's right where be belongs, IMO.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 pm So who is calling plays? And WTF is Ragone doing with two experienced guys in Lazor and DeFillippo
Nagy is calling plays, DeFilippo is going to be hammering Trubisky on mechanics and reads in the offense.

There are numerous videos on the Eagles website of him breaking down and explaining plays. Good stuff.

GSH
MVP

Good hire and had a feeling he would end up here.

Keeping Rags in the building is only a good thing for mitch's continuity and Rags at least is familiar with mitch's limitations and potential.

A sound move in my opinion. People thinking this is a pre-cursor to a nick foles trade to the bears are going to be disappointed though i reckon.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Watch Ragone get a nose job so he looks prettier for Mitchell
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Deflip gets a turnaround in 10's game, he is a 1 yr coach.

Deflip gets nothing out of 10, 10 is gone.

Continuity could be the question either way.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 pm So who is calling plays? And WTF is Ragone doing with two experienced guys in Lazor and DeFillippo
Nagy must value Ragones input into the passing game. It definitely didn't rub off of Mitch so a change was warranted there. Our best hope is that Ragone is a better schemer than teacher and vice versa for DeFillippo, right people in the right seats hopefully. Not every great doer can manage.

So Ragone and Castillo will scout and scheme a passing attack and run game, respectively. Lazor will take that info and put together a cohesive plan of attack, with an emphasis on RPO, including scripting the first few series and developing a play sheet and overall O plan with Nagy. I'd imagine you'll see Ragone and Castillo up in the booth, relaying info down to Lazor and the position coaches.

DeFilippo will hopefully haunt Mitchs dreams until he is not thinking but just reacting.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:47 pm Deflip gets a turnaround in 10's game, he is a 1 yr coach.

If Mitch has a efficient year, like a near 100 passer rating, Flip will be right back to getting HC interviews like he was a couple years ago.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Another great hire man. This is good stuff. I'm just putting this out there, but Ragone may end up years from now as the first HC from the Matt Nagy tree.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm
The biggest question is why didn't Pederson offer him a job for his open OC role...
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm
The biggest question is why didn't Pederson offer him a job for his open OC role...
Don't know but it sounds like we beat out other teams for his service:

dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm super psyched about this, best news so far this offseason. The big takeaway for me is that both he and Lazor have called and coordinated NFL offenses before, so Nagy actually has some guys with real experience helping him sort this shit out.

Ragone is a head scratcher.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Lazor and Defillipo makes me wonder if Foles is a Target for Pace. Now draft Tate and my UofA dreams will have come true.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:59 pm
Otis Day wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:47 pm Deflip gets a turnaround in 10's game, he is a 1 yr coach.

If Mitch has a efficient year, like a near 100 passer rating, Flip will be right back to getting HC interviews like he was a couple years ago.
Who cares? If he fixes Mitch's fundamentals, it's well worth it. Hopefully, one year will be all it'll take. And Flip will more than make a name for himself in the process. Hell, he'll become a legendary QB whisperer.

Totally jazzed about this hire:
Hell, I just learned more about QB play than I have in the rest of my life combined. :thumbsup:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Best quote
Accuracy doesn't just happen, there's a reason for it.
Time to go teach it.
Drone7
Player of the Month

So, we'll be hearing 7 1/2 months of how great Trubisky is doing under his new tutelage...

followed by the season.

Maybe UOK can put together a pie chart assigning credit to each coach after every game, with a big ole average pie after the season.
Last edited by Drone7 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docc
Head Coach

Great vid..showing the insides of the training.. excellent
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 pm
Best quote
Accuracy doesn't just happen, there's a reason for it.
Time to go teach it.
Chase Daniel said Trubisky was going to be focused heavily on his footwork in the off-season. Nagy said he wants him to become a master at reading coverages. The former can be done with drills, the latter IMO only happens with experience. You can glean things from watching your tape (29 games in this offense) so he should have a nice library of coverages to peruse).

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Best quote

Time to go teach it.
Chase Daniel said Trubisky was going to be focused heavily on his footwork in the off-season. Nagy said he wants him to become a master at reading coverages. The former can be done with drills, the latter IMO only happens with experience. You can glean things from watching your tape (29 games in this offense) so he should have a nice library of coverages to peruse).
Maybe he should try one of those virtual reality training programs some former NFL people have touted.
G08
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:41 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm

Maybe he should try one of those virtual reality training programs some former NFL people have touted.
I asked one of the beat writers about that once, they said they aren't sure if he was doing it during the regular season but did use it during training camp in the past.

Richie
MVP

I sort of liked Flip as a HC'ing candidate during the Nagy process. Interesting to have him aboard the staff.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Good hire, has a track record with QBs.

There is always a chicken or egg argument with coaching. This could be said for Ragone and Flip.

Ragone may have actually gotten the best out of Trubs. He may have be a better offensive schemer then position coach. He could be terrible but a nice guy. Lots of unknowns.

Same for Flip. Wentz is good. I dont know how much Flip helped or even contributed at all. He coached Mark Sanchez as a rookie to a 34 QBR. Jamarcus Russell his rookie year. He literally is only at a place for a year or 2.

Now I think its a good hire. However this is by doesnt move the needle to much for me.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Finally a hire that makes sense.

The Ragone promotion stinks to me like a lackey got promoted because Nagy is circling the wagons and he's trying to keep Ragone from bolting because he didn't get OC. Even though Ragone didn't deserve it because its not like he worked wonders with Biscuit.

Very exciting to have Flip on board. The guy can talk forever about offenses and he's got a great track record.

Why is it that the HC of this team is my third favorite coach on the team behind the DC and QB Coach? Oh well.
Hoog
Player of the Month

I have been a manager of people for over 35 years (my first management job was at 18 years old) and I'm a big believer in having a few voices/opinions in the room. One guy has to take those voices and make a decision though and ultimately will live or die by the decision but it balances decision making IF the manager is willing to truly listen. The key here is Nagy can't be stubborn and think he's the smartest man in the room. I like the mix now we have together here but as with Nagy's preseason decision to NOT play any starters, he does sometimes subscribe to the smartest man in the room theory. If he wants to stay in this league as a HC, he needs to break that thinking and not be so stubborn.

Personally, I am behind Nagy and think he will make an excellent HC in this league and showed that in his first year. I think he got a little stuck in his ways and needs to listen to outside voices and he will be fine. I also think this is good for Trubisky. I really think Mitch is close but needs to play and stop thinking so much. When you see him processing rather than playing, it's when he does his worst work. I actually like when he free lances a bit. Yea, his decision making sometimes gets the best of him but it's much better than we you see him forcing a play just because it's what was called. Looking forward to the regrowth of this offense and Mitch under new guidance.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:52 am but as with Nagy's preseason decision to NOT play any starters, he does sometimes subscribe to the smartest man in the room theory.
I can understand why many didn't like his deceision with the starters, but this is not "smartest man in the room" territory. It's a rapidly growing league wide trend. Not some island Nagy is on.